Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company
Location Manager (Former Employee), Digby,Nova ScotiaNovember 6, 2013
Pros: everything, sci is a wonderful company
Cons: there were none
Awesome Company,Great Pay,Overtime,Incentives,Great People
Funeral chapel is in good decor accordingly and easy access, good location.
Sales Representative/ Family Service Counsellor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, Mb.May 5, 2013
Pros: bonus, free draws
Cons: very hard to meet the minimum sales qouta
understanding the product/ service to market, the community contacts and targeted recipients are a combination of reluctance, denial, affordability and a very slow pace to respond. Therefore my commitment to reach the sales quota was a complete disappoinment.
The culture development among staff and co workers is outstanding, very supportive and cooperative.
I – more... personally enjoyed the time flexibility to promote maketing strategies, developed business presentations and becoming a member of various marketing business organizations. – less
A very fulfilling career with an outstanding company made up of truly caring professionals.
Area Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 24, 2012
Pros: a great work environment with a sense of purpose.
Cons: can't honestly think of any.
I can't say enough about this company. If you want to work in a neat, clean and well organized environment with a team of people who are committed to giving outstanding service to their client families, then this is the job for you. I loved it. I made a number of close, long-lasting friendships in my 5 years with SCI. The company exudes professionalism – more... and integrity. – less
Nice place to work but pay is not competitive
Products Support Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great group building activities; good corporate culture in most departments
Cons: insurance premiums went up as well as my copays; pay not competitive
My manager was good at listening. Was fair in work assignments. Product lines are extremely difficult to learn as there is little standardization.
SCI= Sudden Changes Imminent
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 13, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: work life balance.
Great co-workers who strive to service families at the time of need. However, this is a 100% pure sales job with quotas on funeral sale and cemetery property. Only 2 weekends off a month and no holidays off. Typical work days are 10-12 hours. No overtime pay. Hourly wage is below minimum wage. Commissions are paid for funeral and cemetery sales.
Good commissions but a lot of non-paid responsibilities
Family Service Counselor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlOctober 12, 2014
Pros: discounts on funeral and cemetery needs
Cons: required to keep office hours and some weekends with no compensation.
This was a sales job, but you are required to do a lot of non-paid customer service duties and also non-paid operational duties for the right to get leads.
BI Technical Analyst III (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
Business Intelligence front end applications and directly querying database environments (Business Objects Design Studio, Tableau, Excelsius, Excel Pivot, Sql).

BOBJ/ Design Studio SDK, primarily in Design Studio and Dashboard Design and integrating content with various portals like SharePoint, SAP Portal, BOBJ Content with Universes, BW Queries.

Handle – more... software life cycle management – promoting code to QA, Prod, perform necessary testing, documentation and scheduling BO reports in BI Launch Pad.

Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse Data Store design (Data warehouse/Data mart/Operational Data Store) environment. Dashboard Design and Development using Xcelsius Designer and Business Objects Dashboards Design

Extracting Tables, creating joins between tables all according to customer requirements on RH project, creating complex reports utilizing multiple sub reports, SQL commands, Tables and Views as the data sources as well as creating parameters, cascading dynamic prompts, formulas, and filters in Crystal Reports.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining high quality reports to support customer requirements. Crystal Reports 2011/2008/XI/10/9/8.5/8, SQL Server 2008/2005/2000, Report writing, build and unit testing, design review, interface build, client optimization/specification analysis, support, training.
• Creates reports containing information from single or multiple source systems using tools such as Crystal, Dashboards, Explorer and Web Intelligence, from low to high levels of complexity.
• Business Objects Universe Designer to create BO universes against BW as a data sources and developing Business Objects reports using Universe and BICS.
• Lead SAP BI/BOBJ projects from a Systems Integration and technical perspective
• Design visually stimulating reports and dashboards using established SAP BOBJ reporting tools (Web Intelligence, Crystal Reporting, Dashboards, Analysis Olap/Office, Explorer).
• Analyze functional requirements and assist in the development of detailed BI/BOBJ data modeling and documentation – less
A great experience, and stepping stone in my career path
HR Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great pay, work was always appreciated, opportunity to grow and excel with company
Cons: the expectations of hr was never discussed with me
When I started I had no experience in HR, or as a Recruiting Coordinator. It meant so much to me that they looked past my experience and believed in my abilities to become a great employee. After being promoted from Appointment Setter to make 16 an hour at the corporate office I was beyond excited; It felt like I was finally getting what I deserved – more... for the hard work I put in at my jobs.

Since I am a quick learner I picked up on things rather quickly, and after three weeks into my jobs the real test began. The first round of system testing was being conducted, and my trainer had to go down for testing. She just started doing the on-boarding/ background process for a company that we were acquiring. In one day I learned the systems to complete that process and was responsible to pick up her responsibilities, plus still complete my responsibilities. I managed to on-board 11 corporate new hires, and I was receiving 3-7 new hires a day to process for the other companies locations. I resolved any issues that transpired due to her not having access to her emails and phone, and I also supported 5 recruiters with their job postings requests. It was such an accomplishment to complete these tasks, and I proved myself to all my coworkers.

After, a few months into the job I received a 3 dollar, and 4% raise, because my manager and the director believed I deserved every dollar of it. That was an amazing day, because my hard work was appreciated and I was valued. Things just got better from there. I started to learn more about the systems, and take on more tasks to assist people. I was chosen to be a System Matter Expert for a Command Center (call center) that was held to support all the locations in the field, as well as corporate, after we launched our new systems. I was on a team of 4 girls that got pulled out of the command center to manually process background checks, and complete the on-boarding process for 300 new hires that was trying to be processed during the "black out period". We also managed another inbox, in our outlook, during this time called the Recruiting Support inbox. We were getting all sorts or questions, and requests that we had to respond to in a timely manner. Once we completed this task, I was the only Coordinator that still managed to keep up with the inbox.

Prior to my leaving the company I created reports for open and closed requisitions for about 8 different markets. Then I added those reports to the dashboard, as a pie chart, for the Managers through Executive level employees in each of those markets. It was a huge accomplishment for myself, as well as the company.

I really enjoyed all my co workers, and my job as a Recruiting Coordinator with SCI. I learned so much! There wasn't really anything that was too difficult; it was just a lot work. However, I brought that work and responsibility onto myself by showing others I was able and willing to learn and assist. – less
lots of opportunity
Core Staff (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches, lots of overtime and plenty of training
Cons: majority start off as temp
very relaxed work environment. good training depending on the location. There is the potential to make very good money but very long hours to do so. The service they provide is necessary and very noble but also heartwrenching at times
Nice people, low pay
FAMILY SERVICE COUNSELOR (Current Employee), Tumwater, WASeptember 30, 2014
I like my supervisors and coworkers, the pay is very low. Working with grieving customers can be wearing at time, but there is job fulfillment in being able to help people.
Friendly work environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee), HoustonSeptember 30, 2014
Great company to work for.
Balance between work and personal life.
Excellent friendly link
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 19, 2014
Pros: all
Cons: people who don't want to grow
Fast paced work environment. Always learning how teams can overcome everyday challenges while achieving goals and expectations.
Hardest part of the day is the end of the work day.
Couldn't find a new job fast enough
Admin Asst (Former Employee), IllinoisAugust 12, 2014
Pros: helping families through a difficult time; some great co-workers
Cons: work environment, horrible morale, high turn over, pay
As in other reviews some co-workers were great, helpful and encouraging in a very trying environment. However dealing with management was like an episode of Mad Men, very much a hierarchy. No advancement opportunities and the pay was rediculously low. As an admin asst be prepared to not only do the obvious office work but comfort grieving families, – more... be around all aspects of death and even possibly running a service...with no training and making very little money. Big mistake taking this job! – less
Serving our families was our honor and being creative to make it special and personal.
Family Services Counselor (Former Employee), Oregon, OHAugust 12, 2014
Pros: maintaining my own work schedule to accomadate the families
Cons: pressuring people to preplan.
Meeting with the family at the time of death of a loved one. Going over ever thing they will need to coordinate the funeral and visitation night and would encourage family members to be creative for the visitation to make it memorable.
I learned that every family deals with death differently, and they are to be respected no matter what their thought – more... and feelings are in that process.
The directors manage and coordinate the entire funeral experience for the family and working along side them creates a team effort to accomplish this for the family. I also realized they don't get the credit they deserve for all the behind the scene work that they do for the families organizing the whole event and the special care, dedication, and talent they give each person that they are serving. I have much respect for them.
Each person working at the funeral home is a team member working together for every family. Each working together to set up and tear down each event, and individually writing obituaries, preparing financial statements, printing of the stationary, to meet the needs for the family..
The hardest part of the job is talking to the family member that just lost a loved one about their own disposition and making them realize that they need to get their things in order so their family won't have to go through the same experience for them. Being prepared ahead of time takes the stress off the family members who will be taking care of their needs at that time of their death.
My most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families to make the visitation and funeral experience a memorable one. Letting them know that their pain and grief is important to the healing process, and that grief is experienced differently by every person and it's ok to have these feelings. That tears are welcome. And to let them know that I understand and care about what they are going through and want to help them with that process. – less
I loved working for this company. For me this was the beginning of a life altering decision as to what I wanted in a career.
Market Admin/ Office Manager/ Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: the knowledge and experience i gained. i learned who i was and what i wanted in a career.
Cons: very long hours (90-100 week) extensive travel(75%), never saw my husband or family
This is a great company to work for. I met so many interesting people and learned a great deal about management and being a team leader. I was groomed by one of the best men in the business along with his boss. They saw my potential took me under their wing and showed me the path to success. In just a short time I was thriving and was lecturing in other – more... markets all over the United States and our market had thrived after I was brought on board and implemented certain procedural and new ideas. The actual job of Market Administrator was created especially for me in our market and had never been done before. It is my understanding that at this time every market (about 45) with the exception of 4 now have a Market Administrator, which makes me very proud to have been a part of this. – less
Good environment
Fleet Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 7, 2014
Great place to work, Management helped you move up and explore more opportunities within company. Good Company Culture.
Good company
Sales (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2014
Interesting work with dealing with families and local organizations.
dishonest description of job
Outside Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 14, 2014
What was explained to me in the interview process is not at all what I found once hired on. The manager that I had knew nothing about the contracts and how to write them. He spent 2 hours in the office on a good day, and the whole time he was there he just played on the internet. If you have a large network of people that could use these services you – more... could do very well. The commissions are very good, but if you hae no funnel to get leads from it is a very hard and stressful job. – less
Poor working conditions
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 4, 2014
Pros: good 401 k match if you make any money.
1. You are expected to work 7 days a week, to include conference calls after 8:00 pm.
2. I have learned that if there are 47 ratings on a company and they are all bad you should most likely pass on the job offer.
3. As a manager I have learned that they hire anyone, the more uneducated the better so your expectations are low.
4. Average tenure is 6 – more... months. If you are struggling the managers are told to concentrate on the people who are selling. This is no place for beginners.
5. The hardest part of the job is no personal time.
6. Job compensations expectations do no line up with reality! – less
Selling pre-need arrangment/people do not want to believe they are going to die.
Community Service Counselor (Former Employee), Riverdale, GAJune 26, 2014
Pros: pre-arrangement save money
Cons: resistance from those who did not believe they needed the service
I learned that it is so important to make your arrangements before you die. By doing so, your family can mourn your pasing so much better. I enjoyed working with families to secure that they would know where they ere going to be laid to rest and have their loved ones near them if desired.

1 2 3 4 5

About Service Corporation International

About Service Corporation International Service Corporation International (SCI) is to death what H&R Block is to taxes. SCI, – Read more

Service Corporation International Photos