Service Canada

Service Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great working environment
Information Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: good salary
Informed callers on the over 4,500 programs and services offered by the government of Canada. Placed orders for a variety of publications available through Service Canada. Managed call-back requests from other information officers and provide them with feedback if necessary. Sought information that is not available in Service Canada’s database by writing – more... emails to federal departments responsible for the concerned program. Assisted co-workers when they needed help finding the proper program for a caller. – less
Youth Service Officer (Former Employee), Summerside, PEMay 12, 2014
Great staff, benefits and pay. Co workers are helpful and enjoyable. Good benefits and pay. Enjoyable work place.
excellent benefits/pay and co-workers
Claims Prep Clerk (Former Employee), Gander, NLMay 6, 2014
Pros: excellent co-workers and good pay for here in gander.
Cons: was a term from jun 2009 and didn't know if i was going to be extended or not until the last moment
Started at 8am until 4pm, Had lunch at work in breakroom. Started up all the programs first thing in the morning and check any new e-mails from team leader to see if any new items were on the list to get done asap. I learned a lot of different computer systems and programs. I was trained to call clients and verify their identy over the phone. The co-workers – more... were excellent to work with and always had something on-going for every different ocassion on the calender. Saying good-bye to co-workers when thier term was up and when I got told that I couldn't work in Gander anymore. The laughing and telling of jokes and all the different functions that was always on the go to support different organizations. The only time you see the management was when they had bad news it seemed. Always had overtime in the fall and winter which was a plus. – less
an ok place to work
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee), Toronto,ONApril 22, 2014
This job is based more on our education and your ability to take tests than anything else.
I like he job but I don't like our inefficiencies.
Service Canada Benefit Officer (Current Employee), Victoria, BCApril 1, 2014
Pros: flexibility, salary, benefits
Cons: job satisfaction
Work is good, challenging and interesting.
Management not fully aware of what's going on nor do they care about the employees.
The hardest part is seeing the problems and not being able to influence change. Unless the ideas come from the top down it's not a good idea. Upper management tend to pander to the employees soliciting ideas on improvement but – more... those ideas are often not considered.
The most enjoyable part is is the flexibility especially when you have a young family. – less
See below
Benefit Officer (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCDecember 12, 2013
Pros: gratitude from clients
Cons: meetings that were poorly held- too much griping !
A most fulfilling position as my job was to get people into pay who suffered job loss and I did this with due diligence and lead the office in productivity, client satisfaction and always kept committments to clients, if I say you will be paid tomorrow, it will happen and I made sure it did.

I learned to listen and to console people and to consule – more... on options or to give them hope.

Management was very supportive of me and often gave me the hard and drop dead urgent claims because I always delivered.

I still have many friends at work who are great friends and see some socially.

Denying benefits because they did not qualify but I always gave them alternatives = go to a temporary agency and get more hours.

Telling people the money was deposited ! – less
Providing information to the Canadian public face to face
Acting (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Providing information to the Canadian public face to face.

Using tools a Client Service Officer provides information on Federal programs and services, accepts applications for various benefits while following procedures set out by the departement.
Immigrant Settlement
Employment Counsellor (Former Employee), WindsorAugust 31, 2013
Pros: was able to visually watch clients succeed
Cons: language barriers
Assisted government sponsored landed immigrants secure housing and employment
Productive and positive work environment
Telephone Agent (Current Employee), Gatineau, QCAugust 2, 2013
A typical day at Passport Canada:
We start our day off with a quick 2-5 minute meeting, to ensure everyone is on the same page for the day. We are given applications/files to follow up on re. incorrect payment amount because of the validity periods and passport fee change. We are also responsible for creating worksheets for all the other files throughout – more... the night and follow up on them as well. Towards the end of the shift, when we are not able to make any other calls due to time zone restrictions, we go through completed applications to ensure no original documents are being sent for waste .

I've learned different passport policies and also learned the different process/step of obtaining a passport (from the application to the print).

Our management team is great. From the managers to supervisors on duty, all are very helpful and understanding.

The hardest part of the job I would have to say thus far is dealing with the applicants that are not willing to pay the new fee but after explaining the policy and the benefits of the change, the majority of applicants will then pay.

The most enjoyable part would have to be the people/work environment. You're always learning new things. It is very positive. – less
My current position is very demanding, can be stressful at times but in the end can be very rewarding.
Client Services Officer (Former Employee), 200 Town Centre Court, Toronto ONMay 31, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, challenging environment, close to home
Cons: management is not staff supportive
A typical day at work requires that I deal with clients from various cultural and educational backgrounds who at times can be very needy a have a sense of entitlement.

My co-workers are who get me through most days as we work well as a team.

Management is not supportive of staff, they care only about numbers not people.

The hardest part of my job – more... is dealing with verbal abuse from clients.

The most enjoyale part of my job is a sense of satisfaction that I get when I assist a client who is truly thankful for my help – less
nice place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 3, 2013
Pros: hours
Cons: no contract
good pay, nice people. Liked the hours, pay and reasonable supervisors.
Productive work environment
BENEFITS OFFICER (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 2, 2013
I started as a student, and have continued to grow and learn with this organization in the last four years. Great team energy!
Great place to work at
Youth Services Officer/ Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 19, 2013
-Great place to work at
- Good wages, benefits
- Typical work hours 8:30 - 4:30
- Co worker's very friendly
Federal govenment Job
Claims Preparation Worker (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: long hours
Job was great but no security. They treat you as a number and laid ou off no matter how hard you work. Good Money.
great constuction company
Claims Preparation Worker (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: long hours
I really loved working for this company and if I could work for this company again it would be a good day.
Very intense and rewarding experience
Client Service Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: excellent co-workers
Cons: when there was a situation that i could not bend the rules to help an individual
Helped provide Employment Insurance information to individuals, in the form of help with their particular claim or in general about the EI policies and regulations.

Was very satisfying when I was able to provide information that a person required and also other information that helped with their decisions or enabled them to fulfil some other need.
Priductive and Demanding
Clerical/Scheduler/Investigator (Current Employee), Belleville, ONNovember 14, 2012
Pros: available to work any hours and take on any projects.
I am backup teamleader and do all the extra special projects that need to be done in my department. the rest of my ream looks to me for guidance and advice, I also take on any kind of project as I like to be challenged in my work.

I work any hours that are needed or overtime.

I do the best work that I can produce and have very high praise from my – more... managers. – less
Great atmosphere to grow in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEOctober 18, 2012
This job was always challenging - whether with new software, new policies, and new reports. The management was always supportive in trying to encourage the employees to grow in such a way that the skills acquired would be transferable in all aspects of the work environment, either with Service Canada or beyond.
SC
IT/IM Technician Co-op (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 19, 2012
Great place to work! Friendly people through the companies
Productive and busy place and very physic but good
Service Delivery Support Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa OnSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: free lunch once a month
Cons: overtime hours before holidays
Accuracy, Up to date request from different region to process and forward files to different department. Scanning incoming and outgoing files and stats all incoming and outgoing work.