Service Canada Employee Reviews

Good environment
Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
very nice management. good people. manager, team leader and co-workers are very friendly. no under pressure. very nice work environment
Amazing Student Experience
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 18, 2015
I was so lucky to have an opportunity to work in a real professional workplace that aimed to help and inform the public about the services we provided. Co-Workers were excellent, made everyday very interesting.
good
Data Analyst Programmer / Website Developer (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCNovember 18, 2015
Migration phase of many government departments

A lot of web publishing happening.

Many web reports needed on the state of the servicanada servers
Great teaching staff
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBNovember 6, 2015
Had a wonderful experience during the training part of the employment with some amazing teachers. They where well knowledge but also made everyone at ease during training.
Pros
Great teaching staff
Cons
not much chances on failure
Wonderful workplace
Educational Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONNovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work involved dealing with a variety of clients with many personality types. I learned to accommodate schedules and adapt to personality of each individual. The hardest part of this job was not having a large enough private area to discuss personal information with clients. The most most enjoyable part of the job was customer service and feeling accomplished at the end of day that everything was complete and in order.
Pros
workplace benefits
Cons
a small lunch room area
Enjoyed experience as a Counsellor.
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  New Market, NBSeptember 15, 2015
Nice place to work with. Learned lots of new things such as intake, conduct programs help clients. Enjoyable part of the job was to help new immigrants, women and ppl of diverse culture.
Pros
A job I always desired.
Cons
Part time job
Staff were great. Liked the duties of various jobs
SDR/Investigator/ Board of Referees (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL / Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with Service Canada and I enjoyed working witht the public and knowing I was making a difference. I was able to choose my hours as well as compressed work week. Every department I worked with was a great experience but the pay was poor based on the work we were required to complete.
A great work environment, with great colleagues and supportive management
Medical Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  St. john'sSeptember 4, 2015
Working for the federal government allows me to work independently and to consult with my colleagues as needed.
Flexible work hours makes for a better home life balance.
The employer supports a healthy work environment.
Continuing education is supported and made available to all staff.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
Sedentary work
Enjoyed the people interaction and resolutions reached
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONAugust 11, 2015
Greeted client's, accessed needs
Provided general information and assisted client's on computer with programs and websites
Excellent co-workers
Pros
Greeting clients
Cons
Only a contract position
Great management and balanced workload; the salary for what was expected was too little.
Program Service and Delivery Clerk (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
I enjoyed the work and the environment; I found my coworkers and management very respectful and helpful. The work was fairly straightforward, and training was extensive. I thought it was a little inefficient on the whole -- the job protocols, the training, etc.
Pros
Straightforward work
Cons
Can be boring
Excellent Place to work
PAYMENT AND SERVICES CLERK - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJuly 10, 2015
Very supportive environment for advancement. Excellent team work. Very positive atmosphere. The supervisors are always there to help and encourage. The people you work with are extremely friendly and always willing to give a hand should you need it. A lot of training is provided. If you are having difficulty with a particular area, they are there to help and support you. Very cooperative and excellent place to work.
Pros
Excellent Work environment
Cons
Mostly year to year contracts
Rewarding place to work
BEA, Organizational Effectiveness Team (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJune 28, 2015
Great co-workers and a passion for serving Canadians! One of the best parts of the work done comes from the opportunity to make positive impacts on the lives of our seniors.
Great family work/life balance
Passport Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 17, 2015
Staff is great and very supportive. Our new office is very convenient. It is very difficult to advance as most of the jobs it seems are in the National Capital Region. The location I work in is very isolated as far as employment is concerned.
Great team
Program & Service Delivery Clerk-CR04 (Current Employee) –  edmonton, ABJune 9, 2015
Really enjoyed working there. Chance to move up in the company, pay is not that great but is expected for a retail position. The team there was great and helpful to me. Would suggest working here.
It was a great job
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2015
A typical day involved a lot of file organizing.

I learned how to file an prioritize

Management was really good.

Co-workers are what made the job

The hardest part was crouching and standing constantly

the most enjoyable part of the job was the great hours
Great work environment.
Administrative Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 7, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Service Canada. I worked in the mailroom, however I was responsible for more than just mail duties. I was in charge of fleet management for our halifax office, in charge of security (security cards, issues with security doors, taking photos for ids, etc.), and I did all inventory management for our office. This was a job I liked the most because I was always doing something different and I was very busy in this office. Therefore, the time flew by every day and did not drag on. There was not a lot of down time which was a great thing because I like keeping busy. One thing I did not like so much is that my supervisor worked in Dartmouth while I worked in Halifax so she could not be there everyday to check in and see if all was ok. However, being the good worker that I am, there was no concerns that the work would be done efficiently and fast. This has nothing to do with the department itself, but I did not enjoy working with my co-workers in the mailroom on most days. I found I had to pick up a lot of the slack and it made things a bit frustrating at times.
Pros
lots of diversity in the workload, good hours, busy days.
Cons
working with certain co-workers who were't quite as fast or took too many breaks.
Challenging & Rewarding Environment
PAYMENT SERVICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby BCDecember 7, 2014
I managed a workload of claims and spoke directly to employers and claimants. I learned patience and establishing priorities.

My co-workers were supportive and a pleasure to work with.

The hardest part of the job was communicating to claimants that did not qualify but I always gave them options and hope.

The most enjoyable was telling claimants they were paid.
Pros
helping people in need & posive feedback
Cons
inability to help people in need as they were not qualified
overworked , minimal staff , no room for advancement
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2014
chained to a desk with no motivation to do a good job. There is no opportunity for advancement without a post secondary degree.
Benefits Officer
Benefits Officer & Foreign Benefits Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 16, 2014
I was a fully integrated benefits officer; which means I processed all incoming applications for pensions under the Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan. In September, 2012 I decided to take advantage of an early retirement. I really enjoyed the work I was doing in this position.
Great place to work but job security is lacking
Payment Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2014
Hired us under a clause that said that we could be laid off at any time. The media found out we were laid off before we did.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no job security

4.2