Service Canada Employee Reviews

Production Oriented/Transparent/Policy Enforcement
Payment Service Officer (Employment Insurance) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON27 November 2016
Production based work day with speed of service with quality monitoring in a super controlled environment focused on public transparency, policy adhesion and collective group effort to meet standards of the government. Multi-tasking was invented here.

I learned to be skilled in listening (weeding through conversations for truths), coping with an ever-changing environment (policy, administrative (application/governmental, management). Knowing what program used what specific inputs (on a given day, over 10 programs open for assessment). Complicated and involved job that required attention to detail.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people who really needed the financial assistance and learning about patience while honing empathy and understanding for other human beings and their stations in life.

I've learned when to talk and when not to. Diplomacy and tact - expert level.
Pros
Benefit system in place & salary
Cons
Tiring and emotional at times
Interesting work, good career with benefits and pension.
Client Service Agent (PM1) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 November 2016
Dealing with many issues regarding pensions and employment insurance. Issuing social insurance numbers, change of address for federal benefits. Assist clients with forms. Continuous training and updating on current legislation and policies for Old Age Security Pension, Canada Pension Plan Pension and Employment Insurance benefits.
Nice people to work with in modern office environment.

Enjoyed helping client qualify for their pensions and benefits.

Difficult to see people struggle with lose of employment and for those that did not qualify for pensions.
Pros
modern office, good working hours, Monday to Friday only.
Cons
Extremely busy office with shortage of staff at times.
A great place to work at!
Program and Service Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Service Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Glorified Data Entry with High Turn Over
Program and Service Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 June 2016
I worked on a term assignment at the processing centre in Victoria as a Program and Service Delivery Clerk. This is a mediocre position at the bottom of the totem pole in the federal public service. The work is tedious and extremely repetitive. If you are educated and have any quality professional experience at all just avoid this position and department. They were hiring unqualified individuals right off of the street here. People who were bar tenders, retail sales associates and even waitresses without any experience at all which actually goes a long way in understanding the service you get from Service Canada. The place is ripe with pettiness and incompetence and mostly just older women in their late fifties and early sixties working here. The workforce in this office is really old. The turn over is high and the only people who have been there a long time are those who are unlingually English speaking and have no previous experience limiting their mobility in the federal public service. They are there because they have no choice. You basically sit in front of a computer all day and process applications. Pretty much glorified data entry in a volume basedproduction environment. This is a step above the mail room.
Pros
Salary, 8 to 4, Mon to Fri
Cons
Volume based production environment, unstable, negative work culture
Productive and fun workplace
Bilingual Pre-Examination Clerk CR-05 (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 July 2016
Every week I have a different task at work which I love because it's never boring and always get to learn new things (i.e; scanning, correcting forms, making calls out, serving the general public). Our management team is always very helpful and approachable and so are my co-workers. It's all about team work and being there for one another. The hardest part of the job is when we are dealing with difficult applicants, however it's all about remaining calm and remembering that we are there to help the general public. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great group of individuals. Makes the day go by quickly and pleasantly.
Wonderful workplace
Educational Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON3 November 2015
A typical day at work involved dealing with a variety of clients with many personality types. I learned to accommodate schedules and adapt to personality of each individual. The hardest part of this job was not having a large enough private area to discuss personal information with clients. The most most enjoyable part of the job was customer service and feeling accomplished at the end of day that everything was complete and in order.
Pros
workplace benefits
Cons
a small lunch room area
Fun work place
Payment Services Officer (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver19 September 2016
A typical day at work: Sitting in front of computer, view claims, call clients or employers to fact find and calculate claims.
Excellent co-workers and management team.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Helping others
Very good career.
Client Service Agent (PM1) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 October 2016
I enjoyed my work, helping others. Very busy environment. Served clients that needed help with pensions OAS,CPP, EI. Hard to see people struggling with finances and job loss.

It was very satisfying when I was able to help people obtain what they were looking for from our department.
Pros
Good working hours.
Cons
At times too much travel.
Very positive environment
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
Strong and friendly team environment, up to date with latest technology, environment, Recognition for Hard Work, a fun open concept atmosphere, and filled with passionate people.
great workplace and made a difference with society and people
Citizen Service Officer and Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2016
My last office was amazing and completely fulfilling. It was busy at times but completely rewarding. Making a difference in peoples lives made a difference. Ask me more.
great place to work
CRS (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK6 November 2016
it was a great place to work, no real complaints. The training is very extensive, requires a lot of research. It is a call center so the normal call center stats still apply
Pros
government
Cons
call center
See below
Benefit Officer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 December 2013
A most fulfilling position as my job was to get people into pay who suffered job loss and I did this with due diligence and lead the office in productivity, client satisfaction and always kept committments to clients, if I say you will be paid tomorrow, it will happen and I made sure it did.

I learned to listen and to console people and to consule on options or to give them hope.

Management was very supportive of me and often gave me the hard and drop dead urgent claims because I always delivered.

I still have many friends at work who are great friends and see some socially.

Denying benefits because they did not qualify but I always gave them alternatives = go to a temporary agency and get more hours.

Telling people the money was deposited !
Pros
Gratitude from clients
Cons
Meetings that were poorly held- too much griping !
mass layoffs with complete disregard to customer service
BENEFITS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 March 2012
The job itself is great. Good pay, benefits and work/life balance. What's not great is about the lack of job security. In 2011 alone, over 1000 agents were let go. This is done due to budget cutback by Diane Finley and rest of Tory high commands. Many agents work overtime throughout the year, only to be told their positions weren't necessary and laid off. This agency is currently ran by political zealots and unless you have good connections, right now it's not a good place to work at. The morale is low across the department.
Cons
layoff despite record high claims.
Excellent Employer
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PE8 March 2016
A typical day at work would include responding to clients enquiries on Federal Programs. I learned that my strengths are mainly in interrelationships whether it be with my coworkers or working with clients. anytime an irate client comes into the office then I am designated to see this client.
The hardest part of my job is giving public presentations. Standing in front of a large group of people can be a little overwhelming for the first few minutes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my coworkers and clients. I love helping people navigate through our programs.
Excellent Experience with Government Policy
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2012
The main role I served was as a point of client contact, answering detailed and complex inquiries regarding Employment Insurance and related programs. This required a nine-week course in government legislation and regulation, and as such I gained a great deal of knowledge and experience. The management was professional, and co-workers were a pleasure. The hardest part of the job was of course dealing with irate clients, but this was also conversely the most rewarding aspect, particularly when I was able to solve a problem and help a client during a difficult time.
Pros
training, salary
Cons
stress
fun
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC9 July 2016
It was really nice cause you never knew what you were doing and where it was gonna be mostly yard work or some kind of cleaning.
I like he job but I don't like our inefficiencies.
Service Canada Benefit Officer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 April 2014
Work is good, challenging and interesting.
Management not fully aware of what's going on nor do they care about the employees.
The hardest part is seeing the problems and not being able to influence change. Unless the ideas come from the top down it's not a good idea. Upper management tend to pander to the employees soliciting ideas on improvement but those ideas are often not considered.
The most enjoyable part is is the flexibility especially when you have a young family.
Pros
Flexibility, salary, benefits
Cons
Job satisfaction
great working environment
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 July 2014
Informed callers on the over 4,500 programs and services offered by the government of Canada. Placed orders for a variety of publications available through Service Canada. Managed call-back requests from other information officers and provide them with feedback if necessary. Sought information that is not available in Service Canada’s database by writing emails to federal departments responsible for the concerned program. Assisted co-workers when they needed help finding the proper program for a caller.
Pros
good salary
Priductive and Demanding
Clerical/Scheduler/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON14 November 2012
I am backup teamleader and do all the extra special projects that need to be done in my department. the rest of my ream looks to me for guidance and advice, I also take on any kind of project as I like to be challenged in my work.

I work any hours that are needed or overtime.

I do the best work that I can produce and have very high praise from my managers.
Pros
available to work any hours and take on any projects.
Productive and positive work environment
Telephone Agent (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC2 August 2013
A typical day at Passport Canada:
We start our day off with a quick 2-5 minute meeting, to ensure everyone is on the same page for the day. We are given applications/files to follow up on re. incorrect payment amount because of the validity periods and passport fee change. We are also responsible for creating worksheets for all the other files throughout the night and follow up on them as well. Towards the end of the shift, when we are not able to make any other calls due to time zone restrictions, we go through completed applications to ensure no original documents are being sent for waste .

I've learned different passport policies and also learned the different process/step of obtaining a passport (from the application to the print).

Our management team is great. From the managers to supervisors on duty, all are very helpful and understanding.

The hardest part of the job I would have to say thus far is dealing with the applicants that are not willing to pay the new fee but after explaining the policy and the benefits of the change, the majority of applicants will then pay.

The most enjoyable part would have to be the people/work environment. You're always learning new things. It is very positive.

4.2