Service Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Wonderful workplace
Educational Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee), New Liskeard, ONNovember 3, 2015
Pros: workplace benefits
Cons: a small lunch room area
A typical day at work involved dealing with a variety of clients with many personality types. I learned to accommodate schedules and adapt to personality of each individual. The hardest part of this job was not having a large enough private area to discuss personal information with clients. The most most enjoyable part of the job was customer service and feeling accomplished at the end of day that everything was complete and in order.
Good environment
Support Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
very nice management. good people. manager, team leader and co-workers are very friendly. no under pressure. very nice work environment
Production work with losts of fun and laugher in production area.
Operations Support Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCMarch 1, 2016
Pros: sometime have free lunches and every 3 month we have staff day.
Cons: No growth
Apex food source is a fun and energetic place to start. most of the people who worked there were ladies so it was exciting going to work and they always have your back if you can't make a shift.
Excellent Place to work
PAYMENT AND SERVICES CLERK - Part Time (Current Employee), Cornwall, ONJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Excellent Work environment
Cons: Mostly year to year contracts
Very supportive environment for advancement. Excellent team work. Very positive atmosphere. The supervisors are always there to help and encourage. The people you work with are extremely friendly and always willing to give a hand should you need it. A lot of training is provided. If you are having difficulty with a particular area, they are there to help and support you. Very cooperative and excellent place to work.
Great management and balanced workload; the salary for what was expected was too little.
Program Service and Delivery Clerk (Current Employee), EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Straightforward work
Cons: Can be boring
I enjoyed the work and the environment; I found my coworkers and management very respectful and helpful. The work was fairly straightforward, and training was extensive. I thought it was a little inefficient on the whole -- the job protocols, the training, etc.
Enjoyed experience as a Counsellor.
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee), New Market, NBSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: A job I always desired.
Cons: Part time job
Nice place to work with. Learned lots of new things such as intake, conduct programs help clients. Enjoyable part of the job was to help new immigrants, women and ppl of diverse culture.
Exceptional Work Environment
Administrative Assistant AS-01 (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Pros: Professional Staff
I truly enjoy working at Service Canada, Internal Audit and Evaluation because the Director and staff, truely make me feel like I'm part of there team every day.
Amazing Student Experience
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 18, 2015
I was so lucky to have an opportunity to work in a real professional workplace that aimed to help and inform the public about the services we provided. Co-Workers were excellent, made everyday very interesting.
A great work environment, with great colleagues and supportive management
Medical Adjudicator (Current Employee), St. john'sSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Able to work independently
Cons: Sedentary work
Working for the federal government allows me to work independently and to consult with my colleagues as needed.
Flexible work hours makes for a better home life balance.
The employer supports a healthy work environment.
Continuing education is supported and made available to all staff.
Great teaching staff
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBNovember 6, 2015
Pros: Great teaching staff
Cons: not much chances on failure
Had a wonderful experience during the training part of the employment with some amazing teachers. They where well knowledge but also made everyone at ease during training.
good
Data Analyst Programmer / Website Developer (Former Employee), Gatineau, QCNovember 18, 2015
Migration phase of many government departments

A lot of web publishing happening.

Many web reports needed on the state of the servicanada servers
...
mass layoffs with complete disregard to customer service
BENEFITS OFFICER (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 16, 2012
Cons: layoff despite record high claims.
The job itself is great. Good pay, benefits and work/life balance. What's not great is about the lack of job security. In 2011 alone, over 1000 agents were let go. This is done due to budget cutback by Diane Finley and rest of Tory high commands. Many agents work overtime throughout the year, only to be told their positions weren't necessary and laid off. This agency is currently ran by political zealots and unless you have good connections, right now it's not a good place to work at. The morale is low across the department.
Staff were great. Liked the duties of various jobs
SDR/Investigator/ Board of Referees (Former Employee), St. John's, NL / Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with Service Canada and I enjoyed working witht the public and knowing I was making a difference. I was able to choose my hours as well as compressed work week. Every department I worked with was a great experience but the pay was poor based on the work we were required to complete.
It was a great job
File Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2015
A typical day involved a lot of file organizing.

I learned how to file an prioritize

Management was really good.

Co-workers are what made the job

The hardest part was crouching and standing constantly

the most enjoyable part of the job was the great hours
See below
Benefit Officer (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCDecember 12, 2013
Pros: gratitude from clients
Cons: meetings that were poorly held- too much griping !
A most fulfilling position as my job was to get people into pay who suffered job loss and I did this with due diligence and lead the office in productivity, client satisfaction and always kept committments to clients, if I say you will be paid tomorrow, it will happen and I made sure it did.

I learned to listen and to console people and to consule on options or to give them hope.

Management was very supportive of me and often gave me the hard and drop dead urgent claims because I always delivered.

I still have many friends at work who are great friends and see some socially.

Denying benefits because they did not qualify but I always gave them alternatives = go to a temporary agency and get more hours.

Telling people the money was deposited !
I like he job but I don't like our inefficiencies.
Service Canada Benefit Officer (Current Employee), Victoria, BCApril 1, 2014
Pros: flexibility, salary, benefits
Cons: job satisfaction
Work is good, challenging and interesting.
Management not fully aware of what's going on nor do they care about the employees.
The hardest part is seeing the problems and not being able to influence change. Unless the ideas come from the top down it's not a good idea. Upper management tend to pander to the employees soliciting ideas on improvement but those ideas are often not considered.
The most enjoyable part is is the flexibility especially when you have a young family.
Excellent Experience with Government Policy
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2012
Pros: training, salary
Cons: stress
The main role I served was as a point of client contact, answering detailed and complex inquiries regarding Employment Insurance and related programs. This required a nine-week course in government legislation and regulation, and as such I gained a great deal of knowledge and experience. The management was professional, and co-workers were a pleasure. The hardest part of the job was of course dealing with irate clients, but this was also conversely the most rewarding aspect, particularly when I was able to solve a problem and help a client during a difficult time.
Enjoyed the people interaction and resolutions reached
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee), Gananoque, ONAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Greeting clients
Cons: Only a contract position
Greeted client's, accessed needs
Provided general information and assisted client's on computer with programs and websites
Excellent co-workers
Great place to work but job security is lacking
Payment Services Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no job security
Hired us under a clause that said that we could be laid off at any time. The media found out we were laid off before we did.
Great work environment.
Administrative Management Officer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: lots of diversity in the workload, good hours, busy days.
Cons: working with certain co-workers who were't quite as fast or took too many breaks.
I really enjoyed working for Service Canada. I worked in the mailroom, however I was responsible for more than just mail duties. I was in charge of fleet management for our halifax office, in charge of security (security cards, issues with security doors, taking photos for ids, etc.), and I did all inventory management for our office. This was a job I liked the most because I was always doing something different and I was very busy in this office. Therefore, the time flew by every day and did not drag on. There was not a lot of down time which was a great thing because I like keeping busy. One thing I did not like so much is that my supervisor worked in Dartmouth while I worked in Halifax so she could not be there everyday to check in and see if all was ok. However, being the good worker that I am, there was no concerns that the work would be done efficiently and fast. This has nothing to do with the department itself, but I did not enjoy working with my co-workers in the mailroom on most days. I found I had to pick up a lot of the slack and it made things a bit frustrating at times.