Service Canada Employee Reviews

review
Payment Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 February 2017
A typical day at work is being on the phone call after call. Constantly talking to individuals who are having financial difficulties and it wasn't the right fit for me personally. Hardest part was exactly that, a lot of negativity during the work hours. The best part was at the end of the shift you didnt't have to worry about work anymore, every call is a new slate.
Pros
Awesome co workers
Cons
Negative calls
Great job
Payment Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
great job and company and very fun enviorment have lots of fun working here its very enjoyable working here and occasionly lunchs
As an Adjudicator
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON19 December 2016
Was on production, had to have great knowledge of the EI program, Act and Regulationstime management, organizational skills. Fluent in both official languages.

Had to have great interpersonal skills to deal with clients, staff and management.

I enjoyed all aspect of the job and to me there was no hard part of the job!
Pros
Gratifying job
good work security, okay culture
Agente de Paiement (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
The work is the same everyday, customer service. Very well paid for what you do. Can get monotone but great job for job security and benefits and possible job advancement. Not the most fun or motivating job environment of culture, but its a typical government office environment. Mostly for 30 years and up.
Pros
good salary and benfits
Cons
boring environment
Production Oriented/Transparent/Policy Enforcement
Payment Service Officer (Employment Insurance) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON27 November 2016
Production based work day with speed of service with quality monitoring in a super controlled environment focused on public transparency, policy adhesion and collective group effort to meet standards of the government. Multi-tasking was invented here.

I learned to be skilled in listening (weeding through conversations for truths), coping with an ever-changing environment (policy, administrative (application/governmental, management). Knowing what program used what specific inputs (on a given day, over 10 programs open for assessment). Complicated and involved job that required attention to detail.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people who really needed the financial assistance and learning about patience while honing empathy and understanding for other human beings and their stations in life.

I've learned when to talk and when not to. Diplomacy and tact - expert level.
Pros
Benefit system in place & salary
Cons
Tiring and emotional at times
Interesting work, good career with benefits and pension.
Client Service Agent (PM1) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 November 2016
Dealing with many issues regarding pensions and employment insurance. Issuing social insurance numbers, change of address for federal benefits. Assist clients with forms. Continuous training and updating on current legislation and policies for Old Age Security Pension, Canada Pension Plan Pension and Employment Insurance benefits.
Nice people to work with in modern office environment.

Enjoyed helping client qualify for their pensions and benefits.

Difficult to see people struggle with lose of employment and for those that did not qualify for pensions.
Pros
modern office, good working hours, Monday to Friday only.
Cons
Extremely busy office with shortage of staff at times.
great place to work
CRS (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK6 November 2016
it was a great place to work, no real complaints. The training is very extensive, requires a lot of research. It is a call center so the normal call center stats still apply
Pros
government
Cons
call center
Very good career.
Client Service Agent (PM1) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 October 2016
I enjoyed my work, helping others. Very busy environment. Served clients that needed help with pensions OAS,CPP, EI. Hard to see people struggling with finances and job loss.

It was very satisfying when I was able to help people obtain what they were looking for from our department.
Pros
Good working hours.
Cons
At times too much travel.
Very positive environment
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
Strong and friendly team environment, up to date with latest technology, environment, Recognition for Hard Work, a fun open concept atmosphere, and filled with passionate people.
Fun work place
Payment Services Officer (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver19 September 2016
A typical day at work: Sitting in front of computer, view claims, call clients or employers to fact find and calculate claims.
Excellent co-workers and management team.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Helping others
A great place to work at!
Program and Service Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
Service Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
great workplace and made a difference with society and people
Citizen Service Officer and Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2016
My last office was amazing and completely fulfilling. It was busy at times but completely rewarding. Making a difference in peoples lives made a difference. Ask me more.
Productive and fun workplace
Bilingual Pre-Examination Clerk CR-05 (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 July 2016
Every week I have a different task at work which I love because it's never boring and always get to learn new things (i.e; scanning, correcting forms, making calls out, serving the general public). Our management team is always very helpful and approachable and so are my co-workers. It's all about team work and being there for one another. The hardest part of the job is when we are dealing with difficult applicants, however it's all about remaining calm and remembering that we are there to help the general public. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great group of individuals. Makes the day go by quickly and pleasantly.
fun
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC9 July 2016
It was really nice cause you never knew what you were doing and where it was gonna be mostly yard work or some kind of cleaning.
Glorified Data Entry with High Turn Over
Program and Service Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 June 2016
I worked on a term assignment at the processing centre in Victoria as a Program and Service Delivery Clerk. This is a mediocre position at the bottom of the totem pole in the federal public service. The work is tedious and extremely repetitive. If you are educated and have any quality professional experience at all just avoid this position and department. They were hiring unqualified individuals right off of the street here. People who were bar tenders, retail sales associates and even waitresses without any experience at all which actually goes a long way in understanding the service you get from Service Canada. The place is ripe with pettiness and incompetence and mostly just older women in their late fifties and early sixties working here. The workforce in this office is really old. The turn over is high and the only people who have been there a long time are those who are unlingually English speaking and have no previous experience limiting their mobility in the federal public service. They are there because they have no choice. You basically sit in front of a computer all day and process applications. Pretty much glorified data entry in a volume basedproduction environment. This is a step above the mail room.
Pros
Salary, 8 to 4, Mon to Fri
Cons
Volume based production environment, unstable, negative work culture
Excellent Employer
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PE8 March 2016
A typical day at work would include responding to clients enquiries on Federal Programs. I learned that my strengths are mainly in interrelationships whether it be with my coworkers or working with clients. anytime an irate client comes into the office then I am designated to see this client.
The hardest part of my job is giving public presentations. Standing in front of a large group of people can be a little overwhelming for the first few minutes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my coworkers and clients. I love helping people navigate through our programs.
Production work with losts of fun and laugher in production area.
Operations Support Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 March 2016
Apex food source is a fun and energetic place to start. most of the people who worked there were ladies so it was exciting going to work and they always have your back if you can't make a shift.
Pros
sometime have free lunches and every 3 month we have staff day.
Cons
No growth
Exceptional Work Environment
Administrative Assistant AS-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2016
I truly enjoy working at Service Canada, Internal Audit and Evaluation because the Director and staff, truely make me feel like I'm part of there team every day.
Pros
Professional Staff
Good environment
Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2016
very nice management. good people. manager, team leader and co-workers are very friendly. no under pressure. very nice work environment
Amazing Student Experience
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 November 2015
I was so lucky to have an opportunity to work in a real professional workplace that aimed to help and inform the public about the services we provided. Co-Workers were excellent, made everyday very interesting.

4.2