Service Canada Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Bilingual Pre-Examination Clerk CR-05 (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 16, 2016
Every week I have a different task at work which I love because it's never boring and always get to learn new things (i.e; scanning, correcting forms, making calls out, serving the general public). Our management team is always very helpful and approachable and so are my co-workers. It's all about team work and being there for one another. The hardest part of the job is when we are dealing with difficult applicants, however it's all about remaining calm and remembering that we are there to help the general public. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a great group of individuals. Makes the day go by quickly and pleasantly.
great workplace and made a difference with society and people
Citizen Service Officer and Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 19, 2016
My last office was amazing and completely fulfilling. It was busy at times but completely rewarding. Making a difference in peoples lives made a difference. Ask me more.
Excellent Employer
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PEMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work would include responding to clients enquiries on Federal Programs. I learned that my strengths are mainly in interrelationships whether it be with my coworkers or working with clients. anytime an irate client comes into the office then I am designated to see this client.
The hardest part of my job is giving public presentations. Standing in front of a large group of people can be a little overwhelming for the first few minutes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my coworkers and clients. I love helping people navigate through our programs.
A great place to work at!
Program and Service Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
Service Canada is a great place to work at. Salary is awesome. Ability to learn and acquire new skills. Management is approachable and very helpful.
Production work with losts of fun and laugher in production area.
Operations Support Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 1, 2016
Apex food source is a fun and energetic place to start. most of the people who worked there were ladies so it was exciting going to work and they always have your back if you can't make a shift.
Pros
sometime have free lunches and every 3 month we have staff day.
Cons
No growth
fun
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCJuly 9, 2016
It was really nice cause you never knew what you were doing and where it was gonna be mostly yard work or some kind of cleaning.
Wonderful workplace
Educational Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONNovember 3, 2015
A typical day at work involved dealing with a variety of clients with many personality types. I learned to accommodate schedules and adapt to personality of each individual. The hardest part of this job was not having a large enough private area to discuss personal information with clients. The most most enjoyable part of the job was customer service and feeling accomplished at the end of day that everything was complete and in order.
Pros
workplace benefits
Cons
a small lunch room area
Exceptional Work Environment
Administrative Assistant AS-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 16, 2016
I truly enjoy working at Service Canada, Internal Audit and Evaluation because the Director and staff, truely make me feel like I'm part of there team every day.
Pros
Professional Staff
Amazing Student Experience
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSNovember 18, 2015
I was so lucky to have an opportunity to work in a real professional workplace that aimed to help and inform the public about the services we provided. Co-Workers were excellent, made everyday very interesting.
A great work environment, with great colleagues and supportive management
Medical Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  St. john'sSeptember 4, 2015
Working for the federal government allows me to work independently and to consult with my colleagues as needed.
Flexible work hours makes for a better home life balance.
The employer supports a healthy work environment.
Continuing education is supported and made available to all staff.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
Sedentary work
Staff were great. Liked the duties of various jobs
SDR/Investigator/ Board of Referees (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL / Edmonton, ABSeptember 8, 2015
I learned a lot during my time with Service Canada and I enjoyed working witht the public and knowing I was making a difference. I was able to choose my hours as well as compressed work week. Every department I worked with was a great experience but the pay was poor based on the work we were required to complete.
Great teaching staff
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBNovember 6, 2015
Had a wonderful experience during the training part of the employment with some amazing teachers. They where well knowledge but also made everyone at ease during training.
Pros
Great teaching staff
Cons
not much chances on failure
Good environment
Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
very nice management. good people. manager, team leader and co-workers are very friendly. no under pressure. very nice work environment
Glorified Data Entry with High Turn Over
Program and Service Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 29, 2016
I worked on a term assignment at the processing centre in Victoria as a Program and Service Delivery Clerk. This is a mediocre position at the bottom of the totem pole in the federal public service. The work is tedious and extremely repetitive. If you are educated and have any quality professional experience at all just avoid this position and department. They were hiring unqualified individuals right off of the street here. People who were bar tenders, retail sales associates and even waitresses without any experience at all which actually goes a long way in understanding the service you get from Service Canada. The place is ripe with pettiness and incompetence and mostly just older women in their late fifties and early sixties working here. The workforce in this office is really old. The turn over is high and the only people who have been there a long time are those who are unlingually English speaking and have no previous experience limiting their mobility in the federal public service. They are there because they have no choice. You basically sit in front of a computer all day and process applications. Pretty much glorified data entry in a volume basedproduction environment. This is a step above the mail room.
Pros
Salary, 8 to 4, Mon to Fri
Cons
Volume based production environment, unstable, negative work culture
Great management and balanced workload; the salary for what was expected was too little.
Program Service and Delivery Clerk (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 11, 2015
I enjoyed the work and the environment; I found my coworkers and management very respectful and helpful. The work was fairly straightforward, and training was extensive. I thought it was a little inefficient on the whole -- the job protocols, the training, etc.
Pros
Straightforward work
Cons
Can be boring
Excellent Place to work
PAYMENT AND SERVICES CLERK - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJuly 10, 2015
Very supportive environment for advancement. Excellent team work. Very positive atmosphere. The supervisors are always there to help and encourage. The people you work with are extremely friendly and always willing to give a hand should you need it. A lot of training is provided. If you are having difficulty with a particular area, they are there to help and support you. Very cooperative and excellent place to work.
Pros
Excellent Work environment
Cons
Mostly year to year contracts
good
Data Analyst Programmer / Website Developer (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCNovember 18, 2015
Migration phase of many government departments

A lot of web publishing happening.

Many web reports needed on the state of the servicanada servers
...
Enjoyed experience as a Counsellor.
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  New Market, NBSeptember 15, 2015
Nice place to work with. Learned lots of new things such as intake, conduct programs help clients. Enjoyable part of the job was to help new immigrants, women and ppl of diverse culture.
Pros
A job I always desired.
Cons
Part time job
Enjoyed the people interaction and resolutions reached
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONAugust 11, 2015
Greeted client's, accessed needs
Provided general information and assisted client's on computer with programs and websites
Excellent co-workers
Pros
Greeting clients
Cons
Only a contract position
Great family work/life balance
Passport Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 17, 2015
Staff is great and very supportive. Our new office is very convenient. It is very difficult to advance as most of the jobs it seems are in the National Capital Region. The location I work in is very isolated as far as employment is concerned.

4.2