Serta Mattress Company Employee Reviews

Overall great experince
Hybrid Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2015
Four year career ended due to corporate restructure. Unfortunate to lose my position based on merits other than performance. Stepped into new industry and learned the product and Serta environment very quickly. Top performer in region 2 of 4 years. Great Sales Manager as well as business associates. It was a great four years unfortunate it ended so soon.
Pros
Great Sales Manager and sales team
Cons
worked alot of Holidays and weekends
Work as a CFO for a growing company
Controller and Vice President (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 18, 2015
II had two main responsibilities. First was the leading the accounting and finance departments of the company. Second was acquisition of targeted strategic companies.

My staff for accounting and finance was very good. I trained them to perform newly created positions.

We compiled daily metrics and reported to local and corporate management.

Acquisitions were of family held businesses that were in the family for many years. Skilled diplomacy was required to acquire those companies.
Pros
Variety of work load. Worked closely with team
Cons
Too much travel
Horrible place to work, very dishonest company
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster PAJanuary 4, 2015
Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for, management is very unprofessional. No training provided for almost everything you do. Long hours (11-13 + hour days), you come to work and never know what time you will go home, if people call off or materials don't show up on time you just stay longer, that's the company solution. Nothing was accurate, they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you there, then once you get there the truth comes out. Do not consider to work here if you want a life.
Pros
steady pay check
Cons
everything
RUN!!!
Master Production Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJune 29, 2015
This is a horrible company to work for. It's like a modern day plantation. The pay is horrible, managers stay over your shoulder, you have to be almost dead to take a day off and management is a joke!
Pros
80% of mattress
Cons
Horrible work environment, horrible pay, horrible managers!!!
do not work at serta
I had many different jobs throughout the plant (Former Employee) –  Clear LakeOctober 5, 2012
I worked at serta in Clear Lake for 10 years. I would not recommend woring there to anybody!!!! There are no advancement opportunities, more pay cuts than pay raises, and management only looks out for themselves and only tells u what u want to hear not was is actually going to happen. They promise you alot as far as pay but its all a lie just to get you in the door.
Cons
the whole factory
TIRESOME
production supervisor (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAApril 23, 2015
Their is no such thing as life, work balance. Leadership and order fulfillment are not balanced. It is had to determine from day to day just how many hours one is required to work.

Enjoy the tempo, the staff but the lack of respect and communication from upper management is the hold back from being excellent place to work
Just look somewhere else!
quilter (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAFebruary 19, 2015
Worked for Clear Lake facility for 2.5 years...applied for several positions to move up within the company only to be turned down and they hire outside help with less experience and education than I have...this facility is headed by corporate personnel because no one will work here and they are severely DECEPTIVE! Violating laws and lie all the time...get ready for months of 16 hr days! Very unsafe and hostile work environment with under qualified management that will throw you under the bus at any moment.
Cons
poor pay, unpredictable hours, hostile, deceptive
Hostile work place
Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grovetown GAMarch 7, 2014
I am a former employee & got fired after coming off of vacation. I was accused of something that I wasn't aware of & management is clueless, shows favoritism, and in my opinion home office really needs to come down here & clean house starting with the plant manager, shipping supervisor, scheduler. I would advise you not to take a position with this company no matter what they promise you. Please be aware when looking at this company for employment.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad management. favoritism, clueless & classless people
hours are of work are unsure of everyday 8-16hrs!!!!!
Ruffler (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAAugust 8, 2013
The not knowing what your schedule will be everyday was the worst part of the job, too long of hours for a pregnant woman to be on my feet for 10+ hours, with a non understanding management people that are like slave drivers with ego trips!!!! But other than that the work itself was easy.
Pros
easy work
Cons
short breaks, non-understanding management, very long hours for a pregnant woman
Fantastic place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLNovember 30, 2014
Advance in the company quickly and great benefits. Management is very supportive of the team.
Pay was good at times, tough working conditions.
Inspector - Visually (Former Employee) –  Grovetown, GAApril 21, 2014
1. Early start, often worked late.

2. Learned to work in factory environment.

3. The management allowed you to do the job with minimal micro management.

4. My co-workers worked well together.

5. The hardest part was the heavy lifting.

6. Working with the people.
Pros
great employee discount & 401k plan.
Cons
tough working conditions & slow season.
Worst place I've ever worked
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PuyallupAugust 26, 2014
The hours were said in the interview as 9-10 hours with an occasional 12 hour day. No Saturday work. It was also said the training would be great and I would get an opportunity to work with some of the best employees they had in order to get the knowledge needed to run a department effectively. It was also said the Plant Manager was a good person who didn't micro-manage.

They LIED on ALL of it!

The Plant Manager was the worst micro manager ever! Not only that but he would go into your department and purposefully stir up stuff just to see how you'd handle it. I never received any training until the day they were going to let me go and I told them what a terrible place to work this was. The Plant manager would say he knew how to complete a KAIZEN but when it came down to doing the actual KAIZEN he would change the scope and the objective half way through the project. He didn't understand what Lean Manufacturing was really all about. He would yell and scream at his employees in front of everyone and would reprimand his supervisors in front of the employees as well.

Absolutely the worst place to work ever! Harassing environment and definitely a threatening Plant Manager in power as a dictator!

I will never work for or with any Serta Company ever again!!
Pros
checks never bounced
Cons
leadership, culture, labor force, management or lack of management, time management, scheduling, planning, and hr
Company Overview
Sr. Account Manager, Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMarch 16, 2015
Good place to work with a good team of people. Lot's of long term employees so it shows the stability and culture of the company.
production day
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, OHSeptember 18, 2013
get the crew together and set up floor to get production going stag all product in the proper spots so it can be loaded on the out going trailers my co workers are all great people and we work well together the hardest thing we do is left beds for 10 to 13 hours a day the beds weigh between 20 to 90 pounds management not easy to deal with because it is their way no other the thing is none of them have done the the job and they think it is easy put we deal with them but at the end of the day we get the job done the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the guys and putting out a good bed
Pros
good people healthcare good price on beds
Cons
poor mangement, hours bathrooms, picking up king matts with no help
Good pay that is about it.
Order Entry (Former Employee) –  Grovetown, GaJanuary 1, 2013
I was the order entry clerk for the Grovetown, Ga. plant. The management has their head in the sand and are also classless. I was the third person in six months to fill the position. Management will not fix what was wrong with positon; they will just fire whomever is in the postion and move to the next person. Good luck working for this plant; they are all about drama and eating .
Had a great work record until Serta; I also let Human Resources know about the poor management and the temper tantrums that were thrown by co-workers (very unprofessional). Someone needs to clean house in that place starting with the front office and employ some professionals.
Pros
good pay
Cons
too many too list (beware)!
Great company to work for.
General Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Beloit, WIJanuary 11, 2015
Great company to work for. The only reason for looking for a new position is my position is being eliminated. Looking to move Tennessee to be closer to my family after living in Wisconsin for 12 years.

I started working as a plant accountant in the Cullman, Alabama facility then transferred to the Beloit, Wisconsin facility as the General Accounting Manager. I have supervised the accounts payable, accounts receivable, staff accountant and hourly payroll. I have also been responsible for the Human Resources for the Beloit facility. I am responsible for the monthly financials and the year end audit work.
great work enviroment
Customer Service/Order Entry (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 10, 2014
great hours very flexible. Over time was always available.
The co-workers were great, the management was good as well.
The hardest part was the distance and the most enjoyable was the motivating work enviroment.
Pros
motivated work enviroment
Cons
distance
Clear Lake Plant
Key Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake IAFebruary 1, 2012
I worked for Serta for 5 years. They are a good company and would recomend them to any professional seeking a long term career. They supply all the tools you need to be successful, you simply need to implement and follow thru. I went thru some life changing circumstances near the end of my career with them and went out seeking a different path.
Factory work
Frame Builder (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAApril 27, 2014
Ability to work as a team required. Repetitive work is a requirement. Job entails ability to work 8 to 12 hours a day. Duties included working as a team member building mattress frames.
Pros
benefits, somewhat flexible work schedule.
Cons
short breaks, repetitive work
Horrible environment! People were very rude and unprofessional. Cussing is the norm.
Accounts payable (Former Employee) –  Grovetown GAJuly 4, 2013
Atmosphere was very hostile. Environment was very loud (office area). Management was clueless in dealing with personnel issues.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unprofessional work environment. favoritism is the name of the game.