Sephora

Sephora Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun workplace, but there is a glass ceiling
Department Manager (Current Employee), Washington, D.C.September 28, 2014
Pros: fun workplace, great coworkers, gratis
Cons: limited room for advancement, pay does not increase after a certain point
A typical day consists of managing the sales floor and motivating the sales associates to assist customers in a timely fashion. Most shifts are about half sales floor management, a quarter spent assisting customers, and the remaining quarter on management and cash office duties, like balancing tills, responding to emails, safe audits, visual merchandising, – more... etc.

I have learned a lot about how to motivate people while working here. Working with a great team of people is great, and can make your day go by so much faster. And it's a lot of fun most of the time.

Since they aren't as active in promoting from within, once you reach a certain point you are told to wait for further opportunities, as they have to then find a home for you. I think my supervisors try to do the best they can with what they've been given, but there comes a time when that's not sufficient anymore. The hardest part of the job is having high sales goals but not enough people to make that possible, and I find that there is little incentive to motivate myself when the room for advancement is restricted.

The best part is a fun work environment that embraces creativity and problem solving. Of course they also give you a generous amount of free product (gratis) and a great discount. You get to interact with a lot of different people on a daily basis and make great contacts within the industry. – less
No comment
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Katy, TXSeptember 25, 2014
Good pay and benefits.
Once you learn your job it is super fun but it does have its down
amazing
Beauty Consultant, Beauty Studio Captain (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2014
greatest experience, endless education
exopsure to so many brands of great quality
Great products
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Whittier, CASeptember 20, 2014
Assist customers by providing knowledgeable consultations and demonstrate applications of products. Assist Operations Manager with operational procedures and related functions, floor-sets and other duties as assigned. Maintain quick and friendly check out as cashier.
An educational experience
Color Consultant/Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 18, 2014
It was an educational experience, with different terms learned on a daily basis. Client loyalty was a strength. Superior guest service was always a must.
Fast pace environment, goal oriented
Multi- client color specialist (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: gratis, knowledge, the fun atmosphere
A typical day at Sephora includes replenishing stock that is missing, assisting multiple clients in need and teamwork to help build the desired goal of the day. Everything I know about cosmetics, team leadership, work/life/balance, and taking initiative has come from this company. I am constantly learning new ways to approach clients and create a fun – more... and easy environment to shop in. The management of Sephora are a part of the team, not only do they do a great job at managing the floor and maintaing a safe and productive atmosphere. They also assist with clients when and help out whenever help is needed. My co-workers make is easy to come to work because we all work together to make sure everyone in the store is taken care of as well as help each other out when something seems too difficult. The hardest part of this job is when we are having a very slow day. Since this is retail, days are unexpected but we always try to make the best of them. The most enjoyable part of this job is having a client really love what they are purchasing and sincerely appreciate the advice and effort you put forward to help them with their decision. – less
Nice team but strange management
Brand Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Dubai, DUSeptember 17, 2014
Cons: long hours
the daily life in Sephora is nice with good colleagues good atmosphere. The work is interesting and with a lot of responsabilities but the HR politic is really bad. No advantages
Fun work enviroment
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Iowa CitySeptember 16, 2014
Very fun and interesting place to work. Learned so much while I was there and was able to help so many clients and coworkers as well.
fun work to place
Administrative Assistant/Beauty Studio Captain (Current Employee), New York,NYSeptember 15, 2014
its a great place to work place, you will always be in the know for new innovative products out in the market.
fun
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Erie, PASeptember 15, 2014
This was a fun seasonal position. I really just utilized it to fill in the gaps, the environment was great.
Great place for make up junkies
Greeter/sales (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 15, 2014
I like sephora but really hate how high school and clicky everyone gets.
Product Consultant
Product Consultant (Current Employee), Laguna Hills, CASeptember 12, 2014
Pros: team environment, fun atmosphere
Keeping your area of pride ( brand) clean and well stocked
assisting customers choose products based off their skin care needs
demo products
I loved my Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Lafayette, LASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: free make-up samples
Cons: seasonal help
even though I was only seasonal help I loved working there. I loved everything about working there
Hated the company
LOSS PREVENTION AGENT (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2014
Hated my job and the people I worked for.
Would never refer someone to this company.
Fun work environment
Product Consultant (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CASeptember 4, 2014
Sephora is a great place to work. The environment is high paced and very interactive. It is a great place to learn how to create an outstanding client relationship and loyalty.
Very upbeat place to work
Color and Well Being Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Helped customers with makeup and beauty items. Loved to make people feel great about their purchases.Direct manger was amazing and very helpful.
Horrible, horrible horrible.
Product Consultant (Former Employee), Newton, MASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: everything else
I worked for Sephora for years. At first, I was young and hopeful to have a career with them. I loved shopping here and was an avid beauty blogger and makeup/skincare junkie. I was hired when I was in college and I ended up working for them full time.

Management is disgusting. Will talk about you behind your back and make up lies.. very clique-y. The – more... women I worked with, however, were mostly pretty cool. A lot of us wanted to start a union because of how little the pay was and how we basically had no access to benefits because we weren't management.

Another thing about Sephora, which I and many others find illegal, is that they will dismiss you if there is no work for you to do. Most people depend on their hours at work and their schedule, and being told to "volunteer to go home" AKA make you feel like a total jerk until you leave really hurts.. especially when they promise "full time" and give you 10 hours a week. the ONLY people who get full time are management. It's a disaster. They only look out for each other. It's a catty atmosphere. I made this particular Sephora a LOT of money in sales, I mean thousands a day, and I was rewarded with less hours and no respect. I am now a very happy person being OUT of there. If you only need a couple bucks, go for it. If you're 16 and want to work the register during Christmas and are okay with $10 an hour, rock on. The discounts are great. Just don't think it will ever get anywhere. – less
Very eager and detailed orientated
Overnight Recovery Lead (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 2, 2014
i just want to work for a company who values dedication. hard work and integrity.
Great workplace
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee), Rockaway, NJSeptember 1, 2014
The culture is great and you have a lot of fun coming into work. Definitely a value based company
overall good company to work for
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Overall sephora is a good company to work for. Management could be worse but of course could be better. Lots of office politics affect your job buts thats to be expected since it is luxury retail

About Sephora

Shopping for cosmetics at Sephora is meant to be a hands-on experience. Through more than 280 stand-alone stores in North America – Read more