Sephora Employee Reviews in Canada

fun work place, horrible pay
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJuly 3, 2013
very simple, clients are priority, clean and stock when its bot busy. i've learned alot about the products on my own. the management team is fine my coworkers are amazing. the hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours and low pay, the most enjoyable part of the job are my clients <3
Pros
nice team, surrounded by beauty products, its not all about make up only but includes alot of skincare and fragrances
Cons
not enough hours and low pay, also no constant product training
Super fun, friendly place to work
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MbJanuary 22, 2013
Sephora is a great company to work for because they care so much about work life balance. A typical day would consist of helping clients, team building and tasking (stocking, tidying). Management was very easy to talk to and approachable and caring. I most enjoyed helping clients find what they were looking for, showing them how to use and apply products and even helping people find things that they weren't sure they wanted.
Fantastic, people-minded organization
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2013
Collaborative work environments are a dream for some, but not at Sephora. Sephora has a strong "people-first" culture that includes everyone from the clients to the top tiers of Leadership. If you are looking for a truly supportive, yet passionate for results type of company, Sephora is eager to deliver and provide you with a structure like no other in Retail.
Pros
strong relationship building
Good company
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
Great people to work with and the fun place to work.
Amazing customers
Management is great, super friendly.
Learned a lot of makeup skills
Educational, exciting and helpful cast to work with!
Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  MississaugaFebruary 19, 2013
Role focuses on specific non-selling operations tasks within the store
• Operation members are trained to provide client service and cashiering roles when needed
• Shipment, Transfers, Product Returns, Tester, Inventory,
• Maintenance, Supplies, Merchandising, store animation.
• Assist in maintaining merchandising concepts at all times
• Maintaining standards of cleanliness and organization within assigned zone;
• Replenishment, inventory control, and assist in the maintenance of animation and events
• Assist in the maintenance of animations and events
• Working in various ‘worlds’ taking part in cashier functions and duties in colour and skin
• Monitoring and participating in programs to reduce shrinkage
Positive environment, positive people and excellent client service
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 24, 2014
Working at Sephora as an Operations Consultant, a regular day on the job would consist of stocking the store, receiving a shipment, inventory inquiries. Working both in the store and the back room, occasionally assisting clients find products to suit their needs. I've learned how to do brief make-up applications (still learning!) and many other things. This company will help any of their employees achieve a goal if they are looking to learn new things. My colleagues are positive and professional which makes for a friendly, comfortable environment. The hardest part of my job would be lifting heavy things and being on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of my job is that every task and every client is always different, and my colleagues are great.
makeup and makeup!! Girls dream
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  edmonton abApril 30, 2014
Typical day was really busy ! LOTS of clients .
Learned lots about different makeup products.
Co- workers were friendly
Hardest part of the job was working every weekend.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn about all the cosmetic brands the store offered.
Pros
discounts
Cons
working every weekend.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 14, 2014
The staff was really nice I got along with everybody. We had everyday goals and weekly goals as well. I learned a lot about the make up industry that I didn't know before also it pushed me to apply a make up school and i ended being certified and I'm very proud of that.
Pros
snacks from staff members and managers
Cons
sometimes slow days
fun client inspired
ba (Current Employee) –  montrealFebruary 10, 2015
client inspired and super fast work environment. you are always on the go but the skills you build last a life time. management team had core values that makes working there so much easier
You could not learn this stuff at school!
Colour Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2013
Not one day is the same, and I am beyond grateful for that. Ive learned to be patient, and that each client that walks through those doors is coming in for an experience not available at any other beauty retailer. I'm elated to be part of that experience.
Pros
gratis
Cons
Environment conducive to learning & expertise, leadership
Color Expert (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Your day starts with a "touch base" in which the sales updates of the previous day will be reviewed with each shift change group. We set goals and keep track of client feedback and online reviews about the Sephora location. Management will often do the same job as other employee but mostly delegate. The main problem in management (for a few not all) stem from their lax attitude to their own version of following the rules. But they practice self-regulation since management is also regulated by other management members and the creative director (lead manager of store). Co-workers can often be clique-y but will not antagonize each other. The hardest part of the job is coming to work and keeping a positive attitude (especially in the face of rude/curt clientele) and realizing that if you work too hard, other member of the team will just let you do all the work. It is also pretty annoying when other cast members don't clean up after themselves and even more annoying when you bring it up and they act "hurt' but will continue to do it if you don't bring it up :I ..The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how much you've grown in your job (you have so many new skills under your belt now) more so because of how educationally enrouraging the environment is. Stepping back and seeing your work is another awesome pro.
Pros
Great learning environment with opportunities to grow
Cons
Tasks are repetitive and clientele are often short, demanding & rude
various range of shifts and consistent pay
Loss Prevention agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioDecember 8, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company as I learned quite a bit about professionalism and the security industry. i believe Sephora builds there employees for success.
Not fun
Operations consultant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCSeptember 3, 2014
Raises once a year usually around .10, very sales focused now, immature managers, no structure, to much demand for not enough pay, forced to be someone else out of your comfort zone
Pros
free make up once in awhile
Cons
ugly uniforms, forced to be fake
Productive and fun
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  winnipeg, mbJuly 15, 2014
Sephora is a great place to work, my co-workers are respectful and friendly. it is a place where you meet people that grow to become a family and above all it is a place of high standards and great customer service to its client.
fast paced workplace
Colour Artist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Long hours; yet they were all meaningful. Fast paced environment. Coworkers were easy going. Management could have used some improvement.
Great company to work for
Color consultant (Current Employee) –  ottawa ontarioJanuary 3, 2014
I love Sephora bottom line! It is a great company with great values. I worked with a great TEAM of people, productive and fun atmosphere.
Pros
great team, great company values
Cons
chances of moving up are slim to none, lack of full time hours and benefits
Professional look at all times, fun workplace
Beauty Consultant/Skin Expert (Former Employee) –  Square One - MississaugaSeptember 9, 2013
This was a temp job extra income before College. Fun place to work at, customer service skills is a must. Enjoyed working with the girls that were there at the time. Long hours.
Pros
free makeup and personal discount
Great place to work if you want to crush your self esteem
Product consultant (Former Employee) –  Sephora west edmontonMay 12, 2015
I really wanted to love working at Sephora. Unfortunately, the gratis and all the training they provide just wasn't enough to make me stay. As a company, I feel Sephora is great - the company itself has great values, such as encouraging work/life balance. However, the management at the location I worked at couldn't care less about their employees well-being.

You have to be tough to work at Sephora. You have to be able to stand having your appearance scrutinized at all times of the day. On more than one occasion, I was sent to the back to fix my makeup, despite the fact that it was up to the standards outlined by the companies. I felt singled out, as I was wearing a full face of makeup. Other "prettier" girls who worked at the location could get away with wearing much less makeup and never being reprimanded.

If you want to work at Sephora, you have to be able to handle crazy hours. The week of Christmas, I worked 50 hours. I was only a part time employee. I never received overtime pay.

So yeah, it wasn't great. The only good thing was getting to spend all day playing with makeup, and being sent home with hundreds of dollars worth of free product (gratis). Even that wasn't enough.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
long hours, horrible management
okaty
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  edmontonMarch 4, 2015
hard to balance things like life and work , was retail o alot of standing on your feet. i was always very sore. was close to home
Fun workplace,
FULL TIME SKIN CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 20, 2013
I find Sephora being a really fun work place and it definitely helps you to grow if you want to grow with the company. There is really no limit about where you could be in the company as long as you have the desire to be there.