Sephora Employee Reviews

What an awesome place to be
OPERATIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 February 2016
It was a wonderful work experience. I worked with some wonderfully talented people,and under an amazing boss. I grew an astounding amount as a sales person, and as a employee over all.
Pros
Positive work enviroment
Cons
I only worked there a few months before I had to move
Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
A typical day at work would be at the till ringing the customers through, answering the phones, helping people find products that they need. I learned a lot of excellent customer service tips that I will carry with me. There wasn't anything that I would say was hard, very easy simple job. The most enjoyable part was the team. The people I worked with were wonderful to work beside.
Great place to work if you want to crush your self esteem
Product consultant (Former Employee) –  Sephora west edmonton12 May 2015
I really wanted to love working at Sephora. Unfortunately, the gratis and all the training they provide just wasn't enough to make me stay. As a company, I feel Sephora is great - the company itself has great values, such as encouraging work/life balance. However, the management at the location I worked at couldn't care less about their employees well-being.

You have to be tough to work at Sephora. You have to be able to stand having your appearance scrutinized at all times of the day. On more than one occasion, I was sent to the back to fix my makeup, despite the fact that it was up to the standards outlined by the companies. I felt singled out, as I was wearing a full face of makeup. Other "prettier" girls who worked at the location could get away with wearing much less makeup and never being reprimanded.

If you want to work at Sephora, you have to be able to handle crazy hours. The week of Christmas, I worked 50 hours. I was only a part time employee. I never received overtime pay.

So yeah, it wasn't great. The only good thing was getting to spend all day playing with makeup, and being sent home with hundreds of dollars worth of free product (gratis). Even that wasn't enough.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
long hours, horrible management
fun environment
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2016
interesting place to work
luxury goods retailer a different environment
a different way of managing
team was fun many different associates
Pros
make-up gratis, managing 20-30 cast members
Cons
extreme early morning schedule
Amazing environment and very fast paced
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 October 2015
My typical work day involves organizing the stock, the backroom, keeping everything organized and easily accessed. The management is made up of a group of really motivating and inspiring individuals. The co-workers are really amazing at working together to get everything time in proficient manner.
fast paced, makeup artistry, skincare sales, cashier
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bayshore22 May 2015
I would say that I do enjoy Sephora for the other employees as well as the clients unfortunately the management styles and work ethics do not match mine. I enjoy the fast paced industry I also like that things are different with each clients needs which keeps me on my toes and always thinking and learning. I love that I get to interact with people in my job everyday and that when they have left they have had a wonderful experience and all of their needs and concerns where met in a timely fashion.

I would say the hardest part of the job is there isn't a good life work balance and unfortunately the hourly wage is not the greatest.
Stressful environment, but a great value based company
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2015
Fast paced and exciting environment. Very focused on being a team player and advancing the company together rather than individual sales goals. For the size of the company, as well as the size of the store (can have up to 210 employees at a time) they manage their cast well.
Pros
Value based system, often brands bring in coffee or lunch
Cons
Very stressful environment, emotionally draining work
Super fun, friendly place to work
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Mb22 January 2013
Sephora is a great company to work for because they care so much about work life balance. A typical day would consist of helping clients, team building and tasking (stocking, tidying). Management was very easy to talk to and approachable and caring. I most enjoyed helping clients find what they were looking for, showing them how to use and apply products and even helping people find things that they weren't sure they wanted.
Excellent
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2015
I loved working here over Christmas. They treat their employees very well and offer constant opportunities for advancement and education. It can get quite busy and crowded but it makes time pass.
Pros
free samples, snacks
Cons
standing, busy
Environment conducive to learning & expertise, leadership
Color Expert (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2015
Your day starts with a "touch base" in which the sales updates of the previous day will be reviewed with each shift change group. We set goals and keep track of client feedback and online reviews about the Sephora location. Management will often do the same job as other employee but mostly delegate. The main problem in management (for a few not all) stem from their lax attitude to their own version of following the rules. But they practice self-regulation since management is also regulated by other management members and the creative director (lead manager of store). Co-workers can often be clique-y but will not antagonize each other. The hardest part of the job is coming to work and keeping a positive attitude (especially in the face of rude/curt clientele) and realizing that if you work too hard, other member of the team will just let you do all the work. It is also pretty annoying when other cast members don't clean up after themselves and even more annoying when you bring it up and they act "hurt' but will continue to do it if you don't bring it up :I ..The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how much you've grown in your job (you have so many new skills under your belt now) more so because of how educationally enrouraging the environment is. Stepping back and seeing your work is another awesome pro.
Pros
Great learning environment with opportunities to grow
Cons
Tasks are repetitive and clientele are often short, demanding & rude
Wonderful work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener/Toronto ON12 May 2015
-answer client questions/concerns
-cash clients out
-learned new information everyday, on products I knew little about
-management and coworkers very friendly, helpful, and hardworking
-hardest part about the job (when we were extremely busy) was making sure each client left satisfied
-most enjoyable part about my job was the people I got to work with, who made me excited to go into work everyday
fast paced workplace
Colour Artist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2015
Long hours; yet they were all meaningful. Fast paced environment. Coworkers were easy going. Management could have used some improvement.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Color specialist (Former Employee) –  edmonton ab22 October 2015
I loves being around so many people and getting to know clients and having fun sitting them down doing their makeup. I learned so much from working there. And made life long friends.
Positive environment, positive people and excellent client service
Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB24 March 2014
Working at Sephora as an Operations Consultant, a regular day on the job would consist of stocking the store, receiving a shipment, inventory inquiries. Working both in the store and the back room, occasionally assisting clients find products to suit their needs. I've learned how to do brief make-up applications (still learning!) and many other things. This company will help any of their employees achieve a goal if they are looking to learn new things. My colleagues are positive and professional which makes for a friendly, comfortable environment. The hardest part of my job would be lifting heavy things and being on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of my job is that every task and every client is always different, and my colleagues are great.
Great Place to Work
Colour consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 November 2015
Training was incredibly thorough and very instructive, Leadership is supportive and understanding, environment is professional but fun and interactive
Educational, exciting and helpful cast to work with!
Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga19 February 2013
Role focuses on specific non-selling operations tasks within the store
• Operation members are trained to provide client service and cashiering roles when needed
• Shipment, Transfers, Product Returns, Tester, Inventory,
• Maintenance, Supplies, Merchandising, store animation.
• Assist in maintaining merchandising concepts at all times
• Maintaining standards of cleanliness and organization within assigned zone;
• Replenishment, inventory control, and assist in the maintenance of animation and events
• Assist in the maintenance of animations and events
• Working in various ‘worlds’ taking part in cashier functions and duties in colour and skin
• Monitoring and participating in programs to reduce shrinkage
fun work place, horrible pay
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC3 July 2013
very simple, clients are priority, clean and stock when its bot busy. i've learned alot about the products on my own. the management team is fine my coworkers are amazing. the hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours and low pay, the most enjoyable part of the job are my clients <3
Pros
nice team, surrounded by beauty products, its not all about make up only but includes alot of skincare and fragrances
Cons
not enough hours and low pay, also no constant product training
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 September 2015
lots of fun and lots to learn. lots of opportunity to grow within the company. get to know people from around the world. should apply if you love make up or skin care or perfume.
Professional look at all times, fun workplace
Beauty Consultant/Skin Expert (Former Employee) –  Square One - Mississauga9 September 2013
This was a temp job extra income before College. Fun place to work at, customer service skills is a must. Enjoyed working with the girls that were there at the time. Long hours.
Pros
Free makeup and personal discount
You could not learn this stuff at school!
Colour Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2013
Not one day is the same, and I am beyond grateful for that. Ive learned to be patient, and that each client that walks through those doors is coming in for an experience not available at any other beauty retailer. I'm elated to be part of that experience.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Long Hours