Sephora Employee Reviews in Canada

Intense learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
Working at sephora was intense. Long shifts and fast pace may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I did learn a lot through this experience.
What an awesome place to be
OPERATIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 22, 2016
It was a wonderful work experience. I worked with some wonderfully talented people,and under an amazing boss. I grew an astounding amount as a sales person, and as a employee over all.
Pros
Positive work enviroment
Cons
I only worked there a few months before I had to move
Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be at the till ringing the customers through, answering the phones, helping people find products that they need. I learned a lot of excellent customer service tips that I will carry with me. There wasn't anything that I would say was hard, very easy simple job. The most enjoyable part was the team. The people I worked with were wonderful to work beside.
Advise clients on skincare, floor manage, help with training.
Skin Care Consultant/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sephora Kitchener and Toronto YorkvilleSeptember 24, 2015
A great place to work, but my time with the company has come to an end. Management and co-workers are supportive and easy to get along.

Some duties included advising clients on skincare, floor managing during busy hours, as well as help with training.
Pros
Helping people.
Cons
No room for growth. Not a career.
Amazing starting point place to work at
Skin Consultant (Current Employee) –  TorontoJuly 21, 2014
I love my job at Sephora a lot of professional growth and opportunity.
Do not forgot it is a retail job at the end of the day!
I like my clients, the respect i get within my cast. The more work you put in will be recognized but utilized as well without pay adjustment. It is a great opportunity to put your foot in the door to lead to other jobs.
Pros
tons of free products and if selected free trainings in hotels sometimes sent out of country
Cons
long hours, underpay, no benefits for part time
Sephora Southgate Edmonton
Color Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 30, 2015
Although I was only there for a short period of time I enjoyed the job. Management was great and the team really supported each other. My only complaint was for a senior makeup artist the pay is incredibly low and not at all competitive (you definitely cannot pay a mortgage working there, but it might be good for someone starting out or still living at home). I know they have made some changes to a few things since I've worked there so the wages may have been increased as well. This is just my experience from 2012.
Pros
Great team and management, fun environment and work culture.
Cons
Wage is way too low.
fun environment
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
interesting place to work
luxury goods retailer a different environment
a different way of managing
team was fun many different associates
Pros
make-up gratis, managing 20-30 cast members
Cons
extreme early morning schedule
Amazing environment and very fast paced
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 22, 2015
My typical work day involves organizing the stock, the backroom, keeping everything organized and easily accessed. The management is made up of a group of really motivating and inspiring individuals. The co-workers are really amazing at working together to get everything time in proficient manner.
Stressful environment, but a great value based company
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
Fast paced and exciting environment. Very focused on being a team player and advancing the company together rather than individual sales goals. For the size of the company, as well as the size of the store (can have up to 210 employees at a time) they manage their cast well.
Pros
Value based system, often brands bring in coffee or lunch
Cons
Very stressful environment, emotionally draining work
Not fun
Operations consultant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCSeptember 3, 2014
Raises once a year usually around .10, very sales focused now, immature managers, no structure, to much demand for not enough pay, forced to be someone else out of your comfort zone
Pros
free make up once in awhile
Cons
ugly uniforms, forced to be fake
Excellent
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
I loved working here over Christmas. They treat their employees very well and offer constant opportunities for advancement and education. It can get quite busy and crowded but it makes time pass.
Pros
free samples, snacks
Cons
standing, busy
Great place to work if you want to crush your self esteem
Product consultant (Former Employee) –  Sephora west edmontonMay 12, 2015
I really wanted to love working at Sephora. Unfortunately, the gratis and all the training they provide just wasn't enough to make me stay. As a company, I feel Sephora is great - the company itself has great values, such as encouraging work/life balance. However, the management at the location I worked at couldn't care less about their employees well-being.

You have to be tough to work at Sephora. You have to be able to stand having your appearance scrutinized at all times of the day. On more than one occasion, I was sent to the back to fix my makeup, despite the fact that it was up to the standards outlined by the companies. I felt singled out, as I was wearing a full face of makeup. Other "prettier" girls who worked at the location could get away with wearing much less makeup and never being reprimanded.

If you want to work at Sephora, you have to be able to handle crazy hours. The week of Christmas, I worked 50 hours. I was only a part time employee. I never received overtime pay.

So yeah, it wasn't great. The only good thing was getting to spend all day playing with makeup, and being sent home with hundreds of dollars worth of free product (gratis). Even that wasn't enough.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
long hours, horrible management
fast paced, makeup artistry, skincare sales, cashier
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  BayshoreMay 22, 2015
I would say that I do enjoy Sephora for the other employees as well as the clients unfortunately the management styles and work ethics do not match mine. I enjoy the fast paced industry I also like that things are different with each clients needs which keeps me on my toes and always thinking and learning. I love that I get to interact with people in my job everyday and that when they have left they have had a wonderful experience and all of their needs and concerns where met in a timely fashion.

I would say the hardest part of the job is there isn't a good life work balance and unfortunately the hourly wage is not the greatest.
Positive stuff
Overnight Recovery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2014
Good place to work. Great people, good culture. Great samples from fellow vendors. They worked very hard to create a positive culture which I appreciated. Wish the salary could've been a bit higher.
Environment conducive to learning & expertise, leadership
Color Expert (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Your day starts with a "touch base" in which the sales updates of the previous day will be reviewed with each shift change group. We set goals and keep track of client feedback and online reviews about the Sephora location. Management will often do the same job as other employee but mostly delegate. The main problem in management (for a few not all) stem from their lax attitude to their own version of following the rules. But they practice self-regulation since management is also regulated by other management members and the creative director (lead manager of store). Co-workers can often be clique-y but will not antagonize each other. The hardest part of the job is coming to work and keeping a positive attitude (especially in the face of rude/curt clientele) and realizing that if you work too hard, other member of the team will just let you do all the work. It is also pretty annoying when other cast members don't clean up after themselves and even more annoying when you bring it up and they act "hurt' but will continue to do it if you don't bring it up :I ..The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how much you've grown in your job (you have so many new skills under your belt now) more so because of how educationally enrouraging the environment is. Stepping back and seeing your work is another awesome pro.
Pros
Great learning environment with opportunities to grow
Cons
Tasks are repetitive and clientele are often short, demanding & rude
Great company to work for
Color consultant (Current Employee) –  ottawa ontarioJanuary 3, 2014
I love Sephora bottom line! It is a great company with great values. I worked with a great TEAM of people, productive and fun atmosphere.
Pros
great team, great company values
Cons
chances of moving up are slim to none, lack of full time hours and benefits
the most enjoyable part of the job
Color specialist (Former Employee) –  edmonton abOctober 22, 2015
I loves being around so many people and getting to know clients and having fun sitting them down doing their makeup. I learned so much from working there. And made life long friends.
Great Place to Work
Colour consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 3, 2015
Training was incredibly thorough and very instructive, Leadership is supportive and understanding, environment is professional but fun and interactive
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
lots of fun and lots to learn. lots of opportunity to grow within the company. get to know people from around the world. should apply if you love make up or skin care or perfume.
Wonderful work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener/Toronto ONMay 12, 2015
-answer client questions/concerns
-cash clients out
-learned new information everyday, on products I knew little about
-management and coworkers very friendly, helpful, and hardworking
-hardest part about the job (when we were extremely busy) was making sure each client left satisfied
-most enjoyable part about my job was the people I got to work with, who made me excited to go into work everyday