Sephora Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/ Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 July 2016
Unorganized management when it comes to scheduling and have the zone chart planned out for the day. Would constantly forget to put workers on the schedule, caused a lot of confusion
Exciting fast paced work environment
Seasonal-Temporary (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 May 2016
It was a very fast paced environment in on of the busiest malls in the lower mainland during one of the busiest seasons of the year Christmas but overall i enjoyed working there. I learned so much more about the many make-up and beauty products sold and also how to apply them properly.
Overall Experience at Sephora
Skincare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2016
My overall experience with Sephora was pleasant and it is a work place I would encourage people of all diversities to apply to because the company really values their employees for their contribution to the success of the company!
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Gratis, Incentives, Training/Education, Employees, Company Values, Fair Breaks
Cons
some issues with manager, each individual store will be different
Stable/Productive workplace
Stock Coordinator, Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2016
A typical day can consist of receiving products and simply merchandising them in the according areas.

Management and co-workers are friendly/welcoming and are always maintaining a positive experience.

Hardest/most tasking aspect of the job is the attention to detail in the late hours of the morning when fatigue starts to set in.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the reviewing the end result of a hard days work.
Pros
Consistent hours, Stable/safe workplace, friendly staff
Cons
Overnight, Unable to independently listen to music/podcast etc.
Amazing coworkers, that's it.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
Face paced environment where you can learn exemplary customer service skills and selling techniques, good place to start in the retail/cosmetic world. Some of the best coworkers and comradery you'll have the pleasure of working with. Benefits for full time, gratis occasionally received, monthly bonuses are possible.

Not on commission, still a large pressure to sell. Training is inconsistent.

Management team is big and there is little consistency between them. Favouritism means that some will advance, while most won't. Coaching moments are demoralizing.

Absolutely no work-life balance, nine hour days, clopens are regular, inconsistent shifts, availability often ignored. There is no compassion for calling in sick, having constant health issues, and generally any non work related things.

Any complaint or request for availability or actions for development can be ignored or used against you, very hostile environment.

Unless you are management, there is a wage cap on what you can earn. You will earn anywhere between $11-$15. You are disposable at the floor level, and they pay you accordingly,
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no work life balance
Friendly workplace! Wage, not so great..
Cashier, makeup advisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 February 2016
working at sephora was a great experience. i gained a lot of knowledge on top of the knowledge i previously had about makeup and cosmetology. management was set up well along with the employees i worked with. everyone was friendly and welcoming. the only down side was the wage. i was travelling a distance from Hamilton to Burlington and only getting paid minim wage, which i was not pleased about. I was experienced and a certified makeup artist and was not getting paid accordingly. other than that, sephora is a great company to be a part of.
Pros
many breaks, free products!
Cons
Provided a good foundation for my current job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2016
Great first job in the makeup world, learned a lot about the basics of customer service, sales transactions and store operations.
Fun workplace, awful pay
Beauty Studio Captain (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2016
Always busy, the day flies by. However, unless you're kissing the right butt, you'll never advance no matter how qualified. I worked there for three and a half years, full time hours, with no advancement. Not to mention you're paid basic minimum wage.
productive place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2016
company values are lived day in and day out. great growth opportunites. amazing training classes.. open door policy is lived and true,, always high energy
Pros
free lunches
Productive, colorful and fast paced environment
Operations Consultant/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2016
I have enjoyed working at Sephora, I've learned about different skin care techniques, how to achieve sale goals, and all the different types of make up products. The people working there are wonderful as well, bright positive energy! The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make clients happy after recommending different products they would try out as well as testing products on ourselves too! Other than being on the floor and working at the cash register, I handled stock and items being shipped to the store weekly. Had to update inventory and managed where products belonged and if they were in or out of stock.
Pros
Gratis; Free makeup products and bonuses if sales goals are met
Cons
Long busy holiday hours
Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
A typical day at work would be at the till ringing the customers through, answering the phones, helping people find products that they need. I learned a lot of excellent customer service tips that I will carry with me. There wasn't anything that I would say was hard, very easy simple job. The most enjoyable part was the team. The people I worked with were wonderful to work beside.
What an awesome place to be
OPERATIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 February 2016
It was a wonderful work experience. I worked with some wonderfully talented people,and under an amazing boss. I grew an astounding amount as a sales person, and as a employee over all.
Pros
Positive work enviroment
Cons
I only worked there a few months before I had to move
Intense learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Working at sephora was intense. Long shifts and fast pace may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I did learn a lot through this experience.
A fun company to work for
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2016
Awesome co-workers and great management. There are no stripes. Everyone is treated respectfully, clients and other co-workers.

Learned a lot more about the beauty industry than ever before and met down to earth brand reps.

Hope to reapply for the holiday season in 2016
Pros
Amazing gratis
nice place to work
Seasonal Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 January 2016
it was a nice place to work, but not very organized in how they announce things and how they went about some things. co-workers were nice and fun people to work with,
enjoyable thing about this job was to help people with what they wanted

management is ok but could use some work and more training for everyone
Stressful environment, but a great value based company
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2015
Fast paced and exciting environment. Very focused on being a team player and advancing the company together rather than individual sales goals. For the size of the company, as well as the size of the store (can have up to 210 employees at a time) they manage their cast well.
Pros
Value based system, often brands bring in coffee or lunch
Cons
Very stressful environment, emotionally draining work
good place to learn
Senior Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  senior artist19 February 2016
they give great opportunity to advance as long as you work hard
great teaching strategies
great educators
management is horrible in most locations
Pros
learn lots in fragrance skin care and make up
Cons
too many
fun place to work if you don't need to focus much on your earnings
cosmetic consultant (Former Employee) –  Canada1 February 2016
The people and culture typically are the best parts of the job. Its a fun place to work and it definitely will keep you busy. However for such a prestigious company the pay is practically unethical and sometimes feels like a scam. People who were hired years after me started to make more money than I did which makes 0 sense. And it's not uncommon for this to happen. It is a demanding job ill say that, as clients usually need a lot of time and attention when being assisted. It can be fun and usually the time will pass by well since you can be with one client for a fairly long time. With that said, since your job requires a lot of training and your work is fairly specialized you would think the pay wouldn't be minimum wage. Even for those who worked there for years. It's a good job for teens i'd say.
Pros
Gratis incentive, usually very fun and exciting
Cons
pay is outrageously low, moving up in the company is unattainable, do not let you travel from November 1st- January
fun environment
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2016
interesting place to work
luxury goods retailer a different environment
a different way of managing
team was fun many different associates
Pros
make-up gratis, managing 20-30 cast members
Cons
extreme early morning schedule
Great if you're young.
Skin Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 November 2016
sephora is a great job if you're young and don't have to pay your own bills and have the time it takes to move up. It does not pay enough to cover living and can be very stressful because of this.
The company is also very good at telling you what you want to hear regarding promotions and then making you work hard and demonstrate how badly you want something with no more pay and then no follow through from the company.
Favouritism is HUGE, people will get promotions who dont deserve them and vice versa.
The training from brands and being sent away for training was really nice and for sure the best part of working there.
It really is all about who you work with, my first management team was amazing and then the next was a disaster. Some store directors like to hire externally for promotions which usually causes good staff to leave.
The hours are long, there's no consistency in shifts and it is very difficult to have a life around it.
Finally, sometimes at Sephora you began to feel like a robot... You're coached on how to speak to clients,how to act.. Etc., The company wants you to be an individual but then makes you wear the same makeup, same lip colour and so on with visits and occasions. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing I just know the company started to feel very much not me.

I think if you love makeup and are young this could be either a great foot in the door or you could make a career out of it. I loved the company when I first started and have just unfortunately found that the company doesn't really align with who I am anymore!
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Low pay.