Sephora Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be at the till ringing the customers through, answering the phones, helping people find products that they need. I learned a lot of excellent customer service tips that I will carry with me. There wasn't anything that I would say was hard, very easy simple job. The most enjoyable part was the team. The people I worked with were wonderful to work beside.
What an awesome place to be
OPERATIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 22, 2016
It was a wonderful work experience. I worked with some wonderfully talented people,and under an amazing boss. I grew an astounding amount as a sales person, and as a employee over all.
Pros
Positive work enviroment
Cons
I only worked there a few months before I had to move
Productive, Enjoyable, Great place to work.
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 1, 2015
I loved working there. Great benefits and training. The management was professional and very friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and knowing you could make their day better with the assistance provided to them. They have an amazing company culture. Zero downsides.
Pros
gratis, free makeup, bonus paycheques monthly, kind staff
Cons
only seasonal
Great place to work if you want to crush your self esteem
Product consultant (Former Employee) –  Sephora west edmontonMay 12, 2015
I really wanted to love working at Sephora. Unfortunately, the gratis and all the training they provide just wasn't enough to make me stay. As a company, I feel Sephora is great - the company itself has great values, such as encouraging work/life balance. However, the management at the location I worked at couldn't care less about their employees well-being.

You have to be tough to work at Sephora. You have to be able to stand having your appearance scrutinized at all times of the day. On more than one occasion, I was sent to the back to fix my makeup, despite the fact that it was up to the standards outlined by the companies. I felt singled out, as I was wearing a full face of makeup. Other "prettier" girls who worked at the location could get away with wearing much less makeup and never being reprimanded.

If you want to work at Sephora, you have to be able to handle crazy hours. The week of Christmas, I worked 50 hours. I was only a part time employee. I never received overtime pay.

So yeah, it wasn't great. The only good thing was getting to spend all day playing with makeup, and being sent home with hundreds of dollars worth of free product (gratis). Even that wasn't enough.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
long hours, horrible management
Excellent
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
I loved working here over Christmas. They treat their employees very well and offer constant opportunities for advancement and education. It can get quite busy and crowded but it makes time pass.
Pros
free samples, snacks
Cons
standing, busy
fun environment
Store Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
interesting place to work
luxury goods retailer a different environment
a different way of managing
team was fun many different associates
Pros
make-up gratis, managing 20-30 cast members
Cons
extreme early morning schedule
Stressful environment, but a great value based company
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
Fast paced and exciting environment. Very focused on being a team player and advancing the company together rather than individual sales goals. For the size of the company, as well as the size of the store (can have up to 210 employees at a time) they manage their cast well.
Pros
Value based system, often brands bring in coffee or lunch
Cons
Very stressful environment, emotionally draining work
fast paced, makeup artistry, skincare sales, cashier
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  BayshoreMay 22, 2015
I would say that I do enjoy Sephora for the other employees as well as the clients unfortunately the management styles and work ethics do not match mine. I enjoy the fast paced industry I also like that things are different with each clients needs which keeps me on my toes and always thinking and learning. I love that I get to interact with people in my job everyday and that when they have left they have had a wonderful experience and all of their needs and concerns where met in a timely fashion.

I would say the hardest part of the job is there isn't a good life work balance and unfortunately the hourly wage is not the greatest.
Environment conducive to learning & expertise, leadership
Color Expert (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Your day starts with a "touch base" in which the sales updates of the previous day will be reviewed with each shift change group. We set goals and keep track of client feedback and online reviews about the Sephora location. Management will often do the same job as other employee but mostly delegate. The main problem in management (for a few not all) stem from their lax attitude to their own version of following the rules. But they practice self-regulation since management is also regulated by other management members and the creative director (lead manager of store). Co-workers can often be clique-y but will not antagonize each other. The hardest part of the job is coming to work and keeping a positive attitude (especially in the face of rude/curt clientele) and realizing that if you work too hard, other member of the team will just let you do all the work. It is also pretty annoying when other cast members don't clean up after themselves and even more annoying when you bring it up and they act "hurt' but will continue to do it if you don't bring it up :I ..The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how much you've grown in your job (you have so many new skills under your belt now) more so because of how educationally enrouraging the environment is. Stepping back and seeing your work is another awesome pro.
Pros
Great learning environment with opportunities to grow
Cons
Tasks are repetitive and clientele are often short, demanding & rude
Fun work environment, slow growth with company
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  BayshoreJuly 13, 2015
I enjoyed my time here but I moved for opportunities elsewhere. But the company has decent benefits if you are the lucky few who get offered full time. Don't hold your breath.
Pros
The people
Cons
Down time in retail is awful
Wonderful work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener/Toronto ONMay 12, 2015
-answer client questions/concerns
-cash clients out
-learned new information everyday, on products I knew little about
-management and coworkers very friendly, helpful, and hardworking
-hardest part about the job (when we were extremely busy) was making sure each client left satisfied
-most enjoyable part about my job was the people I got to work with, who made me excited to go into work everyday
the most enjoyable part of the job
Color specialist (Former Employee) –  edmonton abOctober 22, 2015
I loves being around so many people and getting to know clients and having fun sitting them down doing their makeup. I learned so much from working there. And made life long friends.
Great Place to Work
Colour consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 3, 2015
Training was incredibly thorough and very instructive, Leadership is supportive and understanding, environment is professional but fun and interactive
Amazing starting point place to work at
Skin Consultant (Current Employee) –  TorontoJuly 21, 2014
I love my job at Sephora a lot of professional growth and opportunity.
Do not forgot it is a retail job at the end of the day!
I like my clients, the respect i get within my cast. The more work you put in will be recognized but utilized as well without pay adjustment. It is a great opportunity to put your foot in the door to lead to other jobs.
Pros
tons of free products and if selected free trainings in hotels sometimes sent out of country
Cons
long hours, underpay, no benefits for part time
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
lots of fun and lots to learn. lots of opportunity to grow within the company. get to know people from around the world. should apply if you love make up or skin care or perfume.
Super fun, friendly place to work
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MbJanuary 22, 2013
Sephora is a great company to work for because they care so much about work life balance. A typical day would consist of helping clients, team building and tasking (stocking, tidying). Management was very easy to talk to and approachable and caring. I most enjoyed helping clients find what they were looking for, showing them how to use and apply products and even helping people find things that they weren't sure they wanted.
fast paced workplace
Colour Artist/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Long hours; yet they were all meaningful. Fast paced environment. Coworkers were easy going. Management could have used some improvement.
Good company
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
Great people to work with and the fun place to work.
Amazing customers
Management is great, super friendly.
Learned a lot of makeup skills
Makeup Lovers Dream Job
Seasonal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 7, 2015
If you love makeup and customer service this is the ideal place for you to work. Lots of opportunities to further your career with the company
Fun workplace
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 14, 2015
Sephora is a fun, educational place to work, that has great coworkers and leadership that is understanding of each persons different personality and management needs.