Sephora

Sephora Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun environment
Store Director (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: make-up gratis, managing 20-30 cast members
Cons: extreme early morning schedule
interesting place to work
luxury goods retailer a different environment
a different way of managing
team was fun many different associates
Productive, colorful and fast paced environment
Operations Consultant/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Gratis; Free makeup products and bonuses if sales goals are met
Cons: Long busy holiday hours
I have enjoyed working at Sephora, I've learned about different skin care techniques, how to achieve sale goals, and all the different types of make up products. The people working there are wonderful as well, bright positive energy! The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make clients happy after recommending different products they would try out as well as testing products on ourselves too! Other than being on the floor and working at the cash register, I handled stock and items being shipped to the store weekly. Had to update inventory and managed where products belonged and if they were in or out of stock.
Fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be at the till ringing the customers through, answering the phones, helping people find products that they need. I learned a lot of excellent customer service tips that I will carry with me. There wasn't anything that I would say was hard, very easy simple job. The most enjoyable part was the team. The people I worked with were wonderful to work beside.
nice place to work
Seasonal Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 9, 2016
it was a nice place to work, but not very organized in how they announce things and how they went about some things. co-workers were nice and fun people to work with,
enjoyable thing about this job was to help people with what they wanted

management is ok but could use some work and more training for everyone
Fun Job
Cashier/Color Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: Gratis
Cons: Management
I worked here as a part timer. This job was fun! As long as you don't pay attention to politics, you would love this job

We also got monthly bonuses depending on the team if we achieved our monthly goals
Stressful environment, but a great value based company
Product Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2015
Pros: Value based system, often brands bring in coffee or lunch
Cons: Very stressful environment, emotionally draining work
Fast paced and exciting environment. Very focused on being a team player and advancing the company together rather than individual sales goals. For the size of the company, as well as the size of the store (can have up to 210 employees at a time) they manage their cast well.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Color specialist (Former Employee), edmonton abOctober 22, 2015
I loves being around so many people and getting to know clients and having fun sitting them down doing their makeup. I learned so much from working there. And made life long friends.
Amazing environment and very fast paced
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 22, 2015
My typical work day involves organizing the stock, the backroom, keeping everything organized and easily accessed. The management is made up of a group of really motivating and inspiring individuals. The co-workers are really amazing at working together to get everything time in proficient manner.
Environment conducive to learning & expertise, leadership
Color Expert (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Great learning environment with opportunities to grow
Cons: Tasks are repetitive and clientele are often short, demanding & rude
Your day starts with a "touch base" in which the sales updates of the previous day will be reviewed with each shift change group. We set goals and keep track of client feedback and online reviews about the Sephora location. Management will often do the same job as other employee but mostly delegate. The main problem in management (for a few not all) stem from their lax attitude to their own version of following the rules. But they practice self-regulation since management is also regulated by other management members and the creative director (lead manager of store). Co-workers can often be clique-y but will not antagonize each other. The hardest part of the job is coming to work and keeping a positive attitude (especially in the face of rude/curt clientele) and realizing that if you work too hard, other member of the team will just let you do all the work. It is also pretty annoying when other cast members don't clean up after themselves and even more annoying when you bring it up and they act "hurt' but will continue to do it if you don't bring it up :I ..The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing how much you've grown in your job (you have so many new skills under your belt now) more so because of how educationally enrouraging the environment is. Stepping back and seeing your work is another awesome pro.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
lots of fun and lots to learn. lots of opportunity to grow within the company. get to know people from around the world. should apply if you love make up or skin care or perfume.
Excellent
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: free samples, snacks
Cons: standing, busy
I loved working here over Christmas. They treat their employees very well and offer constant opportunities for advancement and education. It can get quite busy and crowded but it makes time pass.
Fun work environment, slow growth with company
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee), BayshoreJuly 13, 2015
Pros: The people
Cons: Down time in retail is awful
I enjoyed my time here but I moved for opportunities elsewhere. But the company has decent benefits if you are the lucky few who get offered full time. Don't hold your breath.
Sephora Southgate Edmonton
Color Consultant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great team and management, fun environment and work culture.
Cons: Wage is way too low.
Although I was only there for a short period of time I enjoyed the job. Management was great and the team really supported each other. My only complaint was for a senior makeup artist the pay is incredibly low and not at all competitive (you definitely cannot pay a mortgage working there, but it might be good for someone starting out or still living at home). I know they have made some changes to a few things since I've worked there so the wages may have been increased as well. This is just my experience from 2012.
very upbeat, hardworking, fun
skincare consultant (Former Employee), Calgary, AB The CoreJune 3, 2015
Pros: brand training
Cons: pushy about sales
Although there is sometimes drama everyone usually gets along well and they have a very modern fun way of running their stores. They are a little too serious about their sales but it was fun working there. You learn a lot! and they really take their time educating you and making it a fun experience.
fast paced, makeup artistry, skincare sales, cashier
Skin Care Consultant (Current Employee), BayshoreMay 22, 2015
I would say that I do enjoy Sephora for the other employees as well as the clients unfortunately the management styles and work ethics do not match mine. I enjoy the fast paced industry I also like that things are different with each clients needs which keeps me on my toes and always thinking and learning. I love that I get to interact with people in my job everyday and that when they have left they have had a wonderful experience and all of their needs and concerns where met in a timely fashion.

I would say the hardest part of the job is there isn't a good life work balance and unfortunately the hourly wage is not the greatest.
Fun workplace
Colour Consultant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 14, 2015
Sephora is a fun, educational place to work, that has great coworkers and leadership that is understanding of each persons different personality and management needs.
Great place to work if you want to crush your self esteem
Product consultant (Former Employee), Sephora west edmontonMay 12, 2015
Pros: free makeup
Cons: long hours, horrible management
I really wanted to love working at Sephora. Unfortunately, the gratis and all the training they provide just wasn't enough to make me stay. As a company, I feel Sephora is great - the company itself has great values, such as encouraging work/life balance. However, the management at the location I worked at couldn't care less about their employees well-being.

You have to be tough to work at Sephora. You have to be able to stand having your appearance scrutinized at all times of the day. On more than one occasion, I was sent to the back to fix my makeup, despite the fact that it was up to the standards outlined by the companies. I felt singled out, as I was wearing a full face of makeup. Other "prettier" girls who worked at the location could get away with wearing much less makeup and never being reprimanded.

If you want to work at Sephora, you have to be able to handle crazy hours. The week of Christmas, I worked 50 hours. I was only a part time employee. I never received overtime pay.

So yeah, it wasn't great. The only good thing was getting to spend all day playing with makeup, and being sent home with hundreds of dollars worth of free product (gratis). Even that wasn't enough.
Wonderful work place
Cashier (Current Employee), Kitchener/Toronto ONMay 12, 2015
-answer client questions/concerns
-cash clients out
-learned new information everyday, on products I knew little about
-management and coworkers very friendly, helpful, and hardworking
-hardest part about the job (when we were extremely busy) was making sure each client left satisfied
-most enjoyable part about my job was the people I got to work with, who made me excited to go into work everyday
Good company
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2015
Great people to work with and the fun place to work.
Amazing customers
Management is great, super friendly.
Learned a lot of makeup skills
Makeup Lovers Dream Job
Seasonal Consultant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMay 7, 2015
If you love makeup and customer service this is the ideal place for you to work. Lots of opportunities to further your career with the company
Headquarters