Sedgwick Claims Management Services Employee Reviews

This is a terrible place to work.
Customer services Representative (Former Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHMarch 13, 2016
Each month you get auditted on your calls and you never know what calls they will listen to and worry each month if you will be fired. They change the "rules" as it meets their purposes. There is no consistency to what they educate and audit . The benefits are good but they think that a raise of 10 cents an hour once a year is something you should be happy with. They give more and more responsibility but not reward you in any way. Management manages by negativity. There is no positive feedback. I was told that you don't learn.by what you do right. As far as getting promoted and move up in the company, that only happens if you are a "favorite". Don't believe anything they promise,because it will never happen. Stay away from this company. The people you work with are great but are in the same negativity and makes for a difficult working place. Most of them just want out. Hopefully things are different at other locations.
Pros
nice people to work with and good benefits
Cons
management couldn't be much worse
good place to work if you don't mind never advancing
Medical Bill Processor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 13, 2016
Overall, the people at the company are good, very decent folks.

But, the hiring practices are absolutely abysmal, and opportunities for advancement are nonexistent. I applied to 50 jobs in the six years I worked there, and saw every kind of cronyism and nepotism possible. I came in with 20 years of experience in handling a particular type of claim, for example, only to lose out on the job to someone with no experience, but 20 years younger, and a buddy of the hiring manager.

They also have a bad habit of never responding to let you know if you got the job or not. Out of the 50 applications, at least 20 just vanished with no response from anyone (even after an interview!). Discussions about this with upper management were pointless: there was nothing they wanted to do about it.

Simply put, if they are going to treat INTERNAL candidates like trash, don't get your hopes up about applying to this company.
Pros
Decent people who work very hard, benefits pretty good
Cons
Bush-league hiring practices, glass ceiling for older employees
Great Place to Work with Great Benefits
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work is reviewing FMLA paperwork filled out by Physicians to see if the employee is approved or denied for FMLA under FMLA Guidelines. I've learned so much about FMLA and the Federal Regulations. Management is very nice and they are very helpful with anything, along with my co-workers. I have met many great people and have developed very close relationships with some co-workers. The hardest part of the job is denying people for FMLA when the Physician fills out the paperwork incorrectly. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to help people. Some people just need to have someone listen to them and understand what is going on with their lives and why they need FMLA. It is also enjoyable to approve people for FMLA.
Pros
Around 20 days of PTO (includes sick time), holidays off, no late shifts
Cons
Health Benefits are very expensive
Lack of communication
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 31, 2016
The lack of communication and follow through from management creates a stressful environment from something that could be easily avoided. There are good people who work here but they are over shadowed by the manager favorites. Management has constant ideas and meetings about issues that will be done or are going to be implemented but are never heard of again. Under different management there would be more success in the finance department.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, fun office
Cons
Management, lack of any training or communication.
A fun and productive work environment
Claims Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 14, 2016
On a typical day I handle commercial general liability claims for Sears and Kmart. I learned a lot about liability, personal injury and product liability laws. As well as the multitude of things that could happen in a Sears or Kmart store. My co workers were a team of very intelligent claims examiners, paralegals and attorneys that I had a blast working with. The hardest part of my job was determining a fair settlement amount because there is no set amount for a broken arm or leg, and the most enjoyable part was the excitement of not knowing which case I would get next.
Pros
Full Benefits, Perks, Licensing etc.
Cons
Relocation
Great work, poor management
Disability Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 3, 2015
If you are ok with gossiping to your supervisor and sucking up to the higher ups just so you can keep your job this place is the right fit for you. The job itself is wonderful. Management isn't. Training is minimal and you can be fired for the smallest mistake so it's a go forward at your own risk job. It is a team environment however throwing your team mates under the bus is encouraged.
Pros
Catered lunches, great benefits
Cons
Poor supervisors, high school drama, little chance of being promoted unless you can get in good with management on a personal level
good place to work
Specialty Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 6, 2016
The company is a good place to work for with great paid time off and also good benefits. Work is very easy in most department for fast learners.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not alot of overtime
Secure, permanent job with Day 1 Full Benefits
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 28, 2015
Overall, this is a very sound and stable company. There is much room for growth. But just like any company, it comes with its particular set of work politics. I think there is favoritism shown when you're trying to apply for an internal job within your location. That's just my opinion. But that's the only negative thing I have to say.

Once you start training, you are medically covered! It's a beautiful thing! I've referred ppl to apply and I have 4 of my friends hired here so far. For every person that is successfully hired through our colleague referral program, you receive $500 after they complete 6 months of employment. Of course it is taxed before you get it but it's more money in your pocket still. I started at $14.33/hr as a Service Center Rep. so the pay is good too. Towards the end of the year going into the new year, OT is offered more and it may be unlimited to rack up and save.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
minor favoritism
Company needs to do some massive hiring or pay employee's more money for all the hard work.
Sr. Disability Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2015
Great Benefits. The company has potential to do wonderful things. If management stop getting involved in cliques. Employees learn to use their indoor voice in the work place. For employees who abuse the benefits and the system let them go and hire people who want to work. Unemployment is at a all time high why pay people who don't want to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay is terrible. To many cliques
good company, bad department
Senior Disability Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Rumor has it we have almost 1.5x the amount of work of other clients due to the fact that we have the largest one. Good company, not the best department.
benefits
Cons
overworked and underpaid compared to other clients under the same company
Claims
Claims Associate - (WV Adjusters License) (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 7, 2015
Analyze reported lower-level workers compensation claims to determine benefits due; and to ensure ongoing adjudication of claims within company standards and industry best practices, Adjust workers compensation PTD only claims , Process workers compensation claims determining compensability and benefits due; monitor reserve accuracy and file necessary documentation with state agency, Process assigned claims and determine benefits due pursuant to the client contract; makes timely claim payments and adjustments, Communicate claim action/processing with claimant, client and appropriate medical contact, Ensure claim files are properly documented and claims coding is correct, Process routine payments and prescriptions and status reports for lifetime medical claims and/or defined period minimal medical claims.
The company has grown too fast and hired the wrong people to maintain the business
Absence Management Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2016
The company on paper is fantastic and there are great benefits to working at Sedgwick, however the promotional opportunities are few and far between. Nepotism is rampant and as a result people with no experience in management or the line of business were given the flagship program and the results have been a disaster. The office morale has been declining every year and the colleague satisfaction surveys have also been declining every year I have worked for the company. This is due to no incentives for top performers and a merit/salary increase system that is based purely on audit scores. It is also due to all lines of business are understaffed and the colleagues are over worked. Colleagues are micro-managed and Paid Time Off is restricted due to "business needs". Which is a shame because they do offer great vacation time starting out, you just can't use it in the year and none of it rolls over to the next. As a result of the rapid growth, the training new colleagues are given is non existent and new hires are set up for failure with no training, in a sink or swim environment. They also changed the way HR (or Colleague Resources at Sedgwick) is handled. My current office does not have an HR representative on site, which gives the colleagues no where to go for questions or voicing concerns with management.
Pros
Medical Benefits, life insurance, Paid Time Off, wide range of Lines of Business
Cons
Can't use all the PTO, no training, nepotism, micro-managing, zero incentives for top performers, no promotional opportunities, declining office morale, no Human Resource support, understaffed in every line of business due to rapid growth.
Stable work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Nothing to jump up and down about. You do your job and get paid. Stable work environment. Benefits are average. No real perks.
Pros
Secure company
Cons
Benefits are average
High Stress company
Claim Examiner II (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Typical day at work is coming in and completing mail received, answering e-mails and phone calls.
Then going and doing my diaries that are set for the day.
Monitor payments to claimants, and paying awards, setting up claims for hearings.
Monitor the coding is correct on claims and filing proper forms.
Ensuring that treatment is staying within the guidelines.
Management is helpful with working out some of the more difficult claims that arise.
The hardest part of my job is that there is not enough hours in a day to complete all the work that comes in.
The most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with and the claimants I take care of.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Too much work that needs to be complted in a time frame that is not always reasonable
Pays great, growth availability, and benefits great, overall great place to work!
HR Liaison (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 11, 2015
I have been with this company for almost 4 years. This job was my first desk job and it turned out to be not bad at all. The people here are very friendly, there are multiple areas to promote growth, a wide range of jobs, pays great, and benefits are great. The commute to my job is a little longer than needed, but worth it. Overall I think Sedgwick is a great company to work at!
Pros
Pay and growth
Cons
Workload can be heavy at times.
The workers worked hard
Workers' Compensation Claim Examiner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2016
Morale had begun to drop. Case loads had started to rise. Communication was not the best. Company benefits good. Generous at holiday time.
Blah!
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2016
The company isn't bad I've worked for worst companies before. I do feel they handle more clients than they can handle at times. SCR are penalized for much more than we should. The computer systems are typically always freezing or shutting down causing our numbers to rise and we are penalized at the end of the day for the IT errors but some how they blame it on the SCR's. The job should be easy and stress free but can be difficult at time. I don't have anything positive to say about management except for one which he actually does his job. The pay is ok if you don't have a lot of bills or stay at home with parents, it's manageable. The good thing is there are so many departments within this company and after 6 months your eligible to apply for different positions and also have the option to work from home.
Pros
PTO, Monday-Friday Shift
Cons
Healthcare benefits, management
Company Culture puts the Injured Worker First
Case Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WASeptember 13, 2016
SedgwickCMS puts the Injured Worker first in my view. They are committed to providing the best service in the country and internationally. The contract that I work on is for a large corporation involved in both private, commercial and Military airplanes. The Injured Worker gets the best service from both companies to allow him/her to recover and return to their job of injury.

A typical day is very busy and hectic here. The hardest part of my job is the volume of work we have to do-I have learned time management from this.
Pros
Co- Workers, company culture
Cons
Helathcare
Sedgwick CMS
Reconsideration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 25, 2016
Sedgwick is a great company. They offer great opportunities to grow with the company, such as a class for those interested in Leadership. The company strives to be the best and to help you be the best you can be, They also have fund raisers all year long to raise money for the community with food banks, children and senior citizens.

The managers and supervisors communicated with us on a daily basis to learn and assist us with ways that would help us process our bills in an efficient and timely manner. Processes changed often until we came to resolution on how to make changes to the systems we were using to make things go smoothly.

All departments worked separately but at the same time worked as team. Co-workers assisted each other to make sure things were processed correctly. That's just a small portion of what made Sedgwick a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, great pay, time off, friendly atmosphere
Cons
not departments allowed us to work from home.
Company sucks
Union ironqorker (Former Employee) –  WhereverrSeptember 22, 2016
I was hurt one job 2015 July 8th need neck surgery n miserable . I see they are getting sued by states cause they screw the worker. I am about to loose my house truck everything I worked for and these ducks are gonna let me loose it. I pray to God the owner n all employees would get severely hurt like I and other people to see how it is to loose everything cause they feel it was pre existing my ask. Piece of ship comp I wouldnt work for them at all. Hey do a real job besides pushing a pencil and see how it'll change your mind

2.9