Sedgwick Claims Management Services Employee Reviews

This is a terrible place to work.
Customer services Representative (Former Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHMarch 13, 2016
Each month you get auditted on your calls and you never know what calls they will listen to and worry each month if you will be fired. They change the "rules" as it meets their purposes. There is no consistency to what they educate and audit . The benefits are good but they think that a raise of 10 cents an hour once a year is something you should be happy with. They give more and more responsibility but not reward you in any way. Management manages by negativity. There is no positive feedback. I was told that you don't learn.by what you do right. As far as getting promoted and move up in the company, that only happens if you are a "favorite". Don't believe anything they promise,because it will never happen. Stay away from this company. The people you work with are great but are in the same negativity and makes for a difficult working place. Most of them just want out. Hopefully things are different at other locations.
Pros
nice people to work with and good benefits
Cons
management couldn't be much worse
good place to work if you don't mind never advancing
Medical Bill Processor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 13, 2016
Overall, the people at the company are good, very decent folks.

But, the hiring practices are absolutely abysmal, and opportunities for advancement are nonexistent. I applied to 50 jobs in the six years I worked there, and saw every kind of cronyism and nepotism possible. I came in with 20 years of experience in handling a particular type of claim, for example, only to lose out on the job to someone with no experience, but 20 years younger, and a buddy of the hiring manager.

They also have a bad habit of never responding to let you know if you got the job or not. Out of the 50 applications, at least 20 just vanished with no response from anyone (even after an interview!). Discussions about this with upper management were pointless: there was nothing they wanted to do about it.

Simply put, if they are going to treat INTERNAL candidates like trash, don't get your hopes up about applying to this company.
Pros
Decent people who work very hard, benefits pretty good
Cons
Bush-league hiring practices, glass ceiling for older employees
Great Place to Work with Great Benefits
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work is reviewing FMLA paperwork filled out by Physicians to see if the employee is approved or denied for FMLA under FMLA Guidelines. I've learned so much about FMLA and the Federal Regulations. Management is very nice and they are very helpful with anything, along with my co-workers. I have met many great people and have developed very close relationships with some co-workers. The hardest part of the job is denying people for FMLA when the Physician fills out the paperwork incorrectly. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to help people. Some people just need to have someone listen to them and understand what is going on with their lives and why they need FMLA. It is also enjoyable to approve people for FMLA.
Pros
Around 20 days of PTO (includes sick time), holidays off, no late shifts
Cons
Health Benefits are very expensive
Great work, poor management
Disability Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 3, 2015
If you are ok with gossiping to your supervisor and sucking up to the higher ups just so you can keep your job this place is the right fit for you. The job itself is wonderful. Management isn't. Training is minimal and you can be fired for the smallest mistake so it's a go forward at your own risk job. It is a team environment however throwing your team mates under the bus is encouraged.
Pros
Catered lunches, great benefits
Cons
Poor supervisors, high school drama, little chance of being promoted unless you can get in good with management on a personal level
Lack of communication
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 31, 2016
The lack of communication and follow through from management creates a stressful environment from something that could be easily avoided. There are good people who work here but they are over shadowed by the manager favorites. Management has constant ideas and meetings about issues that will be done or are going to be implemented but are never heard of again. Under different management there would be more success in the finance department.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, fun office
Cons
Management, lack of any training or communication.
You will be overworked and totally unappreciated
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 10, 2016
Use this company as a last resort. They expect you to do the work of 2 people and will performance manage you out if you don't work yourself to death trying to keep up. They are not interested in hearing your concerns. They give the client what they want no matter how it affects the employees. Management sucks and they will throw you under the bus before accepting responsibility for any problems caused by the overload of work. Management cannot be trusted.
Pros
Employees are great to work with, lots of PTO, it will provide you with a paycheck
Cons
Employees are unappreciated. Management sucks. Too much work to feel successful.
Secure, permanent job with Day 1 Full Benefits
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 28, 2015
Overall, this is a very sound and stable company. There is much room for growth. But just like any company, it comes with its particular set of work politics. I think there is favoritism shown when you're trying to apply for an internal job within your location. That's just my opinion. But that's the only negative thing I have to say.

Once you start training, you are medically covered! It's a beautiful thing! I've referred ppl to apply and I have 4 of my friends hired here so far. For every person that is successfully hired through our colleague referral program, you receive $500 after they complete 6 months of employment. Of course it is taxed before you get it but it's more money in your pocket still. I started at $14.33/hr as a Service Center Rep. so the pay is good too. Towards the end of the year going into the new year, OT is offered more and it may be unlimited to rack up and save.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
minor favoritism
The company has grown too fast and hired the wrong people to maintain the business
Absence Management Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2016
The company on paper is fantastic and there are great benefits to working at Sedgwick, however the promotional opportunities are few and far between. Nepotism is rampant and as a result people with no experience in management or the line of business were given the flagship program and the results have been a disaster. The office morale has been declining every year and the colleague satisfaction surveys have also been declining every year I have worked for the company. This is due to no incentives for top performers and a merit/salary increase system that is based purely on audit scores. It is also due to all lines of business are understaffed and the colleagues are over worked. Colleagues are micro-managed and Paid Time Off is restricted due to "business needs". Which is a shame because they do offer great vacation time starting out, you just can't use it in the year and none of it rolls over to the next. As a result of the rapid growth, the training new colleagues are given is non existent and new hires are set up for failure with no training, in a sink or swim environment. They also changed the way HR (or Colleague Resources at Sedgwick) is handled. My current office does not have an HR representative on site, which gives the colleagues no where to go for questions or voicing concerns with management.
Pros
Medical Benefits, life insurance, Paid Time Off, wide range of Lines of Business
Cons
Can't use all the PTO, no training, nepotism, micro-managing, zero incentives for top performers, no promotional opportunities, declining office morale, no Human Resource support, understaffed in every line of business due to rapid growth.
Company needs to do some massive hiring or pay employee's more money for all the hard work.
Sr. Disability Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2015
Great Benefits. The company has potential to do wonderful things. If management stop getting involved in cliques. Employees learn to use their indoor voice in the work place. For employees who abuse the benefits and the system let them go and hire people who want to work. Unemployment is at a all time high why pay people who don't want to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay is terrible. To many cliques
Blah!
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2016
The company isn't bad I've worked for worst companies before. I do feel they handle more clients than they can handle at times. SCR are penalized for much more than we should. The computer systems are typically always freezing or shutting down causing our numbers to rise and we are penalized at the end of the day for the IT errors but some how they blame it on the SCR's. The job should be easy and stress free but can be difficult at time. I don't have anything positive to say about management except for one which he actually does his job. The pay is ok if you don't have a lot of bills or stay at home with parents, it's manageable. The good thing is there are so many departments within this company and after 6 months your eligible to apply for different positions and also have the option to work from home.
Pros
PTO, Monday-Friday Shift
Cons
Healthcare benefits, management
Sedgwick CMS
Reconsideration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 25, 2016
Sedgwick is a great company. They offer great opportunities to grow with the company, such as a class for those interested in Leadership. The company strives to be the best and to help you be the best you can be, They also have fund raisers all year long to raise money for the community with food banks, children and senior citizens.

The managers and supervisors communicated with us on a daily basis to learn and assist us with ways that would help us process our bills in an efficient and timely manner. Processes changed often until we came to resolution on how to make changes to the systems we were using to make things go smoothly.

All departments worked separately but at the same time worked as team. Co-workers assisted each other to make sure things were processed correctly. That's just a small portion of what made Sedgwick a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, great pay, time off, friendly atmosphere
Cons
not departments allowed us to work from home.
A fun and productive work environment
Claims Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 14, 2016
On a typical day I handle commercial general liability claims for Sears and Kmart. I learned a lot about liability, personal injury and product liability laws. As well as the multitude of things that could happen in a Sears or Kmart store. My co workers were a team of very intelligent claims examiners, paralegals and attorneys that I had a blast working with. The hardest part of my job was determining a fair settlement amount because there is no set amount for a broken arm or leg, and the most enjoyable part was the excitement of not knowing which case I would get next.
Pros
Full Benefits, Perks, Licensing etc.
Cons
Relocation
Relaxed Work Environment
claims representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 12, 2016
Decent place to work. Like anywhere else pay could be better. Lots of time off and no micromanagement. Advancement opportunities are limited.
High Stress company
Claim Examiner II (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Typical day at work is coming in and completing mail received, answering e-mails and phone calls.
Then going and doing my diaries that are set for the day.
Monitor payments to claimants, and paying awards, setting up claims for hearings.
Monitor the coding is correct on claims and filing proper forms.
Ensuring that treatment is staying within the guidelines.
Management is helpful with working out some of the more difficult claims that arise.
The hardest part of my job is that there is not enough hours in a day to complete all the work that comes in.
The most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with and the claimants I take care of.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Too much work that needs to be complted in a time frame that is not always reasonable
Relaxed Work environment
Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHMarch 9, 2016
Very laid back. The team lead i had was great. I liked the recognition meetings every quarter. They gave you something to look forward to. Great PTO. Good people for the most part. I learned a lot about claims management, leave of absences and disability claims.
Pros
good overtime opportunities
Cons
attendance policy
great work life balance
claims representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 27, 2015
This company has great benefits, great emphasis on work life balance, but very poor management/supervision.
the work itself can be overwhelming due to high caseloads
Well, they're trying, I guess...
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seven Hills, OHApril 25, 2016
I've held two different positions in this company. The benefits are the biggest draw, though the pay is better than a lot of jobs in the area. It's still barely, barely livable for me. I miss the overtime my old department had; I actually made more then, but had to work weekend and holidays. Now, I have those off, guaranteed, and am occasionally able to freelance in costuming for theatres, which is where my training really is. I'm also really lucky in that I live practically around the corner from my office, to where I can go home on my lunch hour.
Pros
health care, time off, schedule, location
Cons
pay
Thanks Sedgwick :)
SCR, SCR II, Disability Rep and Disability Rep II (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 11, 2016
Sedgwick is a fantastic place to work!!! I would gladly work for Sedgwick again because they have the best overall vision hands down!
People don't always live by the golden rule or work according to the core values. That is life. It is up to every individual colleague to be their own success because the opportunity is there.
I had to take a personal journey to become that type of individual again and I can now be a better asset to the next opportunity.
THANKS SEDGWICK!
Pros
Fairness, benefits, recognition
Cons
Humans aren't perfect, petty and negative, makes uncomfortable work environment
I was very happy with the company and my account
Sr. WC Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 20, 2015
I cannot get the stars to stay lit. I would give a 5 to all these companies. This was a great field to be in in the 80's-end of the 90's. I suppose this is common all over the board. I left Sedgwick to move from California to Florida. There was no Sedgwick office here at the time. My close friend workers there and says she cries at her desk daily. I worked Home Depot in L..A. Our unit went camping, wine tasting and white water rafting together as a group (15 of us) We got along and made a great team.
Pros
job security great supervisors
Cons
No office in Tampa
Great place to work at
System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2016
Management understand the challenges, so they push you but they help you if you need, great experience working here.

They understand that the business is complex so even when you get stuck you can just ask for help and everybody will be willing and happy to help, after all I guess we all get caught on that situation once on a while
Pros
work from home in bad weather days, flexible PTO, friendly environment
Cons
They don't have a swimming pool

2.9