Securitas Security Services USA, Inc

5.2K reviews

Securitas Security Services USA, Inc Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Disorganized and Poor Communication
Security Officer (Former Employee), 909 Simcoe St N, Oshawa, ONNovember 20, 2013
Cons: bad communication, disorganization, union dues for a union that really is no help at all.
From having worked there for 6 years, I was asked numerous times to work a shift that overlapped with the current shift I was working when called.

They were also terrible with getting keys from clients to access the site during non-work hours. One particular example is when I was working over Christmas holidays, I ended up hitting my head really hard on a metal bar attached to a door (for use in locking the door) to the point where I had a headache, was dizzy, and my head was bleeding severely. I called the mobile supervisor to notify them, and when they arrived, instead of having the gate key, opening it, and coming in to check on me, they called me to come open the gate because they didn't have the key for it. Had I passed out from blood loss and they weren't able to get in, they could have been in serious trouble.

When I was in college, they were understanding and gave me shifts that worked with my schedule, but after finishing college, the following 2 years I repeatedly asked to be given full time shifts, with no reply, and finding out that despite having 4 years seniority under my belt, they were giving full time hours to newly hired guards while I was left with so few hours that I was living paycheque to paycheque.

After being laid off from there in October 2011 due to a "lack of site availability" when the one I was at was bought by a new owner, I probably could have fairly easily gone out and been hired by another company, but due to the bad taste Securitas left in my mouth, I've decided the profession isn't for me.
The differences between branches are astonishing
Security Practitioner (Former Employee), Barrie, ON, and Belleville, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: working alone
Cons: not enough work.
A typical day at work was pretty solitary. Obviously, like any other security posting, chances are that you are working alone. The differences between branches is where the real issue comes into play.
The one I came from was much more strict when it came to dress code, and expectations. Notes and reports were collected, reviewed, and (if need be) discussed. The Simcoe county branch for which I worked was an excellent organization- well organized (with few exceptions), and very professional; while maintaining a friendly atmosphere.
The branch to which I transfered was lax and disorganized. It was not uncommon to receive calls to come in for a shift that had already started. I was not impressed with how the Quinte region was being managed. I just stopped taking calls for work. The work was so sparse that I had to take a job at a call center.

Co-workers very much reflected how each branch was managed. In Simcoe County, I was able to get to know my co-workers, as we had steady postings. I don't think I could name a single one of my Quinte counterparts.
I enjoyed the part of the job that I also found the hardest: the solitary nature of my postings.
VERY PRODUCTIVE; BETWEEN PATROLL ROUNDS THERE WAS A COMPUTER TO PLAY GAMES ON. THIS WAS SPECIFICALLY FOR SECURITY GUARD USE. I LEARNED A LOT.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Burlington, ONSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: the pros are that the job was very educational, i learned my duties easily, because the instructions were concise.
Cons: i had to do the 'grave yard' shift.
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WOULD CONSIST OF DRIVING TO MAIN GUARD HOUSE TO SIGN IN, GET LOG BOOKS AND TRACKING WAND. I WOULD GO INTO MY POST AND START ROUNDS, GOING TO SPECIFIC POINTS IN THE FACTORY WHERE THERE WAS A CIRCULAR METAL DISK THE SIZE OF A 25 CENT PIECE AFFIXED TO THE WALL, AND I WOULD INSPECT STATION, THEN PUT TRACKING WAND TO DISK TO RECORD ROUND, THEN GO BACK TO MY POST. I WOULD RECORD WHAT I SAW AT EACH POINT IN THE LOG BOOK. I WOULD EAT MY LUNCH THAT I EITHER BROUGHT FROM HOME OR FROM A PIZZERIA, ON A BREAK. AS FAR AS WHAT I LEARNED WAS ALL THE DUTIES THAT SECURITY GUARD WOULD CARRY OUT, AND THE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT THIS JOB ENTAILS. MY MANAGER WAS VERY INFORMATIVE. SOMETIMES I WOULD HAVE A CO-WORKER; BUT, MOST OF THE TIMES I HAD TO WORK ALONE. THE BEST PART IS THAT AT EACH LUNCH STATION, THERE WAS VENDING MACHINES, AND A UNIT THAT WOULD MAKE CHANGE FOR EACH DENOMINATION OF PAPER CURRENCY UP TO A TWENTY-DOLLAR BILL.
Friendly environment, giving information and sharing of ideas
Agent de sécurité (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 4, 2013
Pros: nil
Cons: no fix day holidays leave
Most of the time is routine work, everyday there was different type of customer at Le Boulevard commercial centre, most people come and take about their life and jobs they did in the past and for me i take is as an advice from those people. As far as management is concern they were very friendly and ready to listen proposition from security agent so that they can improve the service given to clients. It is very useful to work with older security agents cause they let you know the past experience they did have and i learn a lot about the job. the hardest moment was dealing with a person who was mentally ill, and it took me time to put him outside the commercial centre and the same time people was asking lots of questions. . the most enjoyments moment of my job is when rule and regulation was understood by all people everything was going according to security measures..
Un-less you have a posted site to work at, good luck in finding steady work !
Security Guard (Current Employee), Belleville, ONNovember 17, 2015
Pros: Honestly.....i can't think of one.
Cons: Just not enough work it seems, here in the Belleville region
Does'nt make sense.
Been with company for 11 years.
Left my posted site 5 months ago.
Since then i am barely receiving any work here in the Belleville area.
I am lucky to get 8 to 16 hours a week.
This branch has changed so much, and not for the better.
Poorly managed area, don't know who my boss is , and there is no one in the Belleville office now.( we report to the Peterborough office , and before that, Ottawa ! [for a few months ] )
I have come to the conclusion that there is not enough work here
in Belleville, or, they have forgotten me.....or don't care any-more.
11 years. Will not stay with this company any-more.
I hope i can get full-time work with other security companies in this area.
Like the way it used to be with Securitas/Belleville.
I feel so ....lost. Like they don't know who i am. Just a number now.
It was'nt always this way.
Lots of fun people to work with if you the hours fit your need
Bilingual Security Operations Specialist (Former Employee), North York, ONApril 7, 2015
A typical day at work would be taking in guard request and following up with the guards on site insuring their safety and updating our awareness of each location being serviced across Canada.

I have learned many different procedures as to how to go about dealing with a sensitive situation.

learned to work in a 24hrs/7 schedule, with having to work
different hours each week. (adjusting my sleep accordingly)

learned how to manage a situation with supervision.

co-workers were fun to work with as we saw each other very often and it being a small call center everyone knew each other fairly well.

hardest part is when we are short staffed and receiving pressure from management.

sometimes there is a lot of down time and team gets to know each other and have good conversations.
Not the best if you need full time
Security Guard (Current Employee), Barrie, ONDecember 5, 2014
This company is union based so first that means you pay dues. Second it means if a more senior members site is closed you can be bumped from your full-time spot, and if you don't hold high seniority it means you lose out on getting another full-time site. The Branch in Barrie also seems to lack in new full-time contracts making me question the drive of management in the sales aspect. Some people or great too work with, while others are the laziest rudest around. Also don't trust your pay, as it is usually and regularly wrong. Hours get missed sometimes even a whole week can be. You will also not get any thanks for the work you do, but thats the nature of the beast.
Great opportunity to pay bills during the school
Security Guard (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: study at work
Cons: low pay, no opportunities to advance
Typically I was posted at one of the company's sites. The sites varied by the Securitas' client. It could be a retailer, or high profile site like Court House. I have learned the most is never mind the job, you have to do it the best possible way.
Initially management was pretty good, but the company's scheduling manager was constantly changing, which sometimes resulted in mistakes during pay periods.
Most of my coworkers were very nice people. I rarely had a problem, and if I did, I dealt with it without any difficulties.
The hardest part of the job was to do nothing and stay awake.
The most enjoyable part of the job was opportunity to communicate with people and to project some sort of authority.
For any Security Guards - Awsome Job!
Supervisor (Current Employee), OttawaJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: easy no stress, paid to sit around, fair money, great place to make some friends
Cons: shift work, boring at times, few hours available when starting
Salary is fair and can actually can be very good depending on the site you are sent. Management have a role and must deal with "bad apples" on a daily basis. Negative criticism will always be there. If only people would stop complaining and change their attitude, they would realize these jobs are only stepping stones prior to moving on. Ideal jobs for the young who wants references, perfect for retirees and fantastic for whoever wants a job with no pressure.
A place that taught me how to multitask, speak wth employees and clients
Field Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 20, 2014
Cons: long hours, unpredictable work days, large work area to cover.
My typical day as a Field Supervisor had me doing site inspections, on/off site paper work, minor scheduling and trouble shooting issues that came across throughout the night. I learned how to multitask, the right and wrong way to speak with clients, employees, and our management team to ensure effective communication.

The hardest part of my job is also, at times, the easiest portion of my job. Scheduling last minute requests/book offs. Some days our employees are willing to work, and others no one seems to answer their phones making it difficult to fill requests in a timely manner.
Productive workplace that requires punctuality, respect for other coworker while promoting safer and better workplace enviroment.
Employee (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMay 4, 2012
A typical day at work will include the following:
The necessity of arriving at workplace on time.
Going over all memos left by the other guard:
Making sure all equipment and necessary documents are prepared.
To be helpful towards customers needs.
On of the most valuable skills i have learned in Securitas was to pay careful attention to customers needs, while evaluating their request and finding the best, suitable solution.
The hardest part of the job is to fill an accurate report in case of accident.
The most enjoyable part of the work is the amount of free time given for observation of surrounding area.
Very limited available hours and disorganized placement when working
Security Officer (Former Employee), TD Place. Ottawa. ONOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Fun Setting and free games and shows (While you work)
Cons: Little hours, very unorganized
The available shifts were usually 1-2 shifts a week that were 5-10 hours long.
When arriving at work the duties for the day were very unclear and majority of the time you were just 'picked" by a wandering supervisor and put in a random location.
Back-up for difficult situations was rare as no radios were given and if you did recieve back-up they were of little help.
Management was and other staff were on the most part very nice and friendly but managment could be difficult to get in touch with.
Little to no lunch area and lockers were very limited and usually taken.
Not aware of this pool table!
Security Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 25, 2014
A typical work day at work starts with coming in for shift prepared, clean uniform, day book, lunch,leave problems at home, mingle with co-workers before shift starts, retain good information that will serve later,be safe, follow protocol! Important to communicate with management keep them aware of how things are at your post and appreciate the hard work they do for the company and yourself.
The hardest part of a job is working alone on a site you can't leave!
The most enjoyable part of the job is working 12 hour shifts and meeting people that you can help or simply chat with!
great place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJune 12, 2014
Pros: co-worker and clients and the public
Cons: management
A typical day at work I get to walk around and meet all kinds of people I get to walk inside of the building and outside of the building I get to run up and down five stairwells six floor apiece then I get to get yelled at by management for things I don't do but get blamed for anyways. my co-worker are the best part of the day we all get alone great. And the client we work for are the best but our company that we work for is (if we like you .You get job advancement if we don't you get nothing even if you can and are able to do the job. you have to be friends with the boss first) What I learned was never get your hope up because know matter what you know if the boss don't like you don't get the advancement
Good Starting Job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Fort Mcmurray, ABSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: pay
Securitas was a good stepping stone for me as a recently landed Immigrant.

The hours were Flexible and so I was able to fix my schedule so that my wife and I could take turns caring for our toddler

The Management was new and understaffed and so there were many issues but thankfully I never experienced any problems

I learned how to work in Canada and the general Canadian work values like coming to work on time, honesty and integrity.

The best part of the job was meeting different people and interacting with them.

The worst part was the pay and a lack of organizational structure and processes
Tiring if not fully fit for the job.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Ottawa OnOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Long breaks
Cons: Long hours
I only worked when they called me in. One weekend i had three 12 hour over night shifts in a row. I could barely walk for the rest of the week.

It was tough when you are not fully prepared for it. But you cannot prepare since the days are random. I have been called in to do an overnight shift at 6pm that night.

I mostly show up, walk around and lock doors, check the area and that is about it. But in the dead of winter it can be killer.
Good site to work at
Security Guard (Former Employee), North York, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: client and residents were very nice
Cons: very busy
Updated residents information on Excel
Attended management meetings with concerns or to get updates for the desk Concierge Access Control – Provided excellent Customer Service for residents in dealing with couriers, packages, mail, laundry drop offs
Handled tenant complaints at the desk or on the phone as well as public parking issues and documented all incidents according to policies and procedures
Trained new guards for site patrol, desk duties and Front Desk application on windows
Enjoyed working with my co-workers - we were a strong team
It's an OK employer to work for
Security Guard / Shuttle Bus Driver (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Relatively well managed
Cons: Lots of night shifts
Not the best employer I've ever had and not the worst either. They're OK.

Security work in general is relatively easy to do. You will usually start off as a floater (fill in for other guards). Permanent posts will be advertised on the company's job line and you can bid on the post offering of your choice. Selection of guards for the post is based on seniority and qualifications.

Bare in mind this is shift work, and guards with higher seniority will obviously choose the nicer shifts (days, evenings)
No communication, will no stand up for you
Security Guard (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaJanuary 14, 2015
I had a very good position as a security guard with this company for two years. Head management barely did any interaction with us. Something happened when a conflict arose and I, the most senor, was pulled from the site. Not only that, I wasn't told FOR A WHOLE WEEK after WHY I was pulled. They didn't ask for my side of the issue and instead just left me to rot. The union seems to be communication grounds and the only reason that there is talking at all.
Total Managment breakdown. Screws up pay.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Cons: terrible hours, high turnover rate, zero respect, incomplete and wrong training.
My acting supervisor has no idea what we did. After a year of working at the location, they still didn't know the basic layout of the building. I worked at multiple locations under the same supervisor, and when I requested to work only at locations close to my place of residence, I was informed by my supervisor that, that is a bad attitude and maybe I should seek other employment.
Headquarters