Secure Energy Services Employee Reviews

Working at Secure Energy
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2016
In my department the management was somewhat ineffectual and played favorites. There was no opportunity to advance and you had to find your own training opportunities.

This company used to be great, but the "family" feel is gone.
Pros
Quarterly updates, 3 weeks vacation, great Christmas party
Cons
Long hours, lack of recognition, culture is now cold and business oriented
Miserable place to work
Environmental (Former Employee) –  Canada9 September 2016
Poorly managed by people are not qualified to over see employees and do not give two sh*ts about their staffs safety just billable hours. Worst company I've worked for. By far the most uncomfortable shady workplace atmosphere....
Pros
Lots of bizarre jobs
Cons
Loser managers and unfriendly poorly trained coworkers
horribly managed place run by people who will only keep you busy if you buddy up with them and are a good brown noser
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2016
Totally unprofessional company run by totally unprofessional people is a good start. If youre an operator or labourer watch out for your superintendant, that guy couldnt superintend a candy shop, worst liar and backstabber ive ever come across in the industry, unless you like no call backs when you just want to know whats happening for work or youre a huge brown noser then its a fit. Oh and watch out for the head mechanic/equipment manager at the red deer shop, he will throw anyone under the bus to make himself look good, he would sell out his own mother and still sleep at night.
Pros
Cons
A liar and backstabber for a superintendant, no call backs when you want to know about work, too many cons to list
Very a good place to work and gain experience
CONSTRUCTION HS&E ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 August 2016
Over the six plus years I was at Secure I found that it was an enjoyable place and environment to work in. They went through an amazing growth and hired the best that they could. Unfortunately; with fast growth gaps are developed and sometimes its difficult to foresee and react to these gaps in an appropriate manner.
I was able to receive training during my time which aided in moving on to new opportunities. Granted I was let go which wasn't my choice.
With the current market trends and the way the industry is struggling almost all companies are affected in one way or another.
The team I was working with was fantastic and supportive.
Sure being unemployed during a downturn is humbling and makes you rethink your choices. However; when something ends something else starts.
I've worked in the forest industry, oil and gas, service industry and now a dam project.
Opportunities are there and I refuse to dwell on the past.
Pros
Training, travel, supportive management, well compensated, company vehicles, work life balance
Cons
Extremely fast growth caused difficult to manage growing pains
Stepping stone
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2016
Use this company as a stepping stone for better things but don't expect any mentorship, proper training or support of any kind. Management/organization/communication is a mess, pay and benefits are laughable, no RRSP plans. Higher ups only care about the numbers and often ignore the human factor. Lower management are generally unable to delegate tasks to untrained team members meaning they are too busy to properly train their employees, and end up taking a sink or swim approach with field projects. As a result, at least half the workplace (prior to recent layoffs) was inept resulting in an over-reliance on, and over-working of, the few employees who had proven to be capable. Worked additional hours nearly every day to complete last minute requests from management, address mistakes made by coworkers in reports, meet deadlines which had already been extended/missed by whoever was previously responsible, coordinate field projects etc. Lots of overtime which is now stored as time in lieu rathe than paid out. Gossipy office with lots of negativity and high school-ish vibe. Very high turn-over rate.

An example: Yearly bonuses (if they even still have bonuses) are evaluated based on a system which has been designed to minimize the bonus awarded. One part of the evaluation is each employee working a minimum of 80% billable hours over the year. Billable hours are calculated as a weekly percentage rather than based on actual hours worked. This means that working long hours in the field (such as 90+ hours weeks) only translates to 100% billable time over those weeks, and does not ensure
  more... getting a good bonus. So you could work an extra 500 hours in the year, but if you took all your entitled vacation time, time-in-lieu or sick time, you would not achieve the 80% requirement. Regardless of how good an employee you are, you would not be given a full bonus.

This company actually has a lot of potential but the poor management and overall disorganization makes it hard to realize. It's unfortunate, I worked here for about 2.5 years and I met some of my best friends at Secure. I would have liked to stay longer but at the end of the day I was burnt out and depressed by the work atmosphere. Ultimately decided to find something with a better work/life balance and I'm much happier now.
Pros
turn over meant promotions came up relatively quickly
Cons
low pay, low employee appreciation, poor management, high turn over, inept co-workers and lack of training or mentorship for new employees
worst place ever
Scale Op and Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB9 January 2016
I would not work there again if it was the last place on earth .. the Management was a rude fat person who sat behind a desk and never gave a person the benefit of the doubt it was his way that was it ... co workers were the same all but 1hardest part of the day was going to work best part was leaving
Pros
nothing was free had to pay for the christmas party
Cons
the manager was ALWAYS there telling you that you were wrong
Super people
Report Developer (Former Employee) –  downtown Calgary9 November 2015
Great place to work, Good people to work for and to work with.
This was the best place I have worked in a long time.

It was a wonderful experience
Pros
good people
my job
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Kindersley, SK6 November 2015
it was alright i gained experience but thtas about it. Wages are lower then expected but fulltime work at least. Do not like the 4/4 schedule
Terrible place to work!
field technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 October 2015
Very low pay (I've been in this industry for years doing the same job and I was only making $300 more per month than my girlfriend who works a day job at the mall and is home every night). I sucked it up, I worked my butt off and I tried very hard but my boss was harassing and verbally abusive. You can only take so much of being yelled at for things that you didn't do or that weren't your fault; sucking it up and taking the blame. I then reported the harassment to his superior and was let go without cause the next day. Funny.. my old boss at the last place I was at (for just over 5 years) still calls me for advice on the job, yet these jokers paid me next to nothing, treated me like I was incompetent and set me up for failure..even my co workers were surprised that I had been let go because I did well at the job.
Pros
Work Truck.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, poor management, terrible communication, favouritism, poor HR, unrealistic expectations, harassment, verbal abuse, Etc
work with a good team of people
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB24 October 2015
typical day at wok goes by fast, always something to keep you busy with.
co-workers are all friendly and easy to get along with.
easy to learn all equipment in plant.
management is understanding with days off etc.
Pros
free lunch and gear
Cons
shoty shift work 4 0n 4 0ff
Great Growth from within attitude
Procurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB8 October 2015
Gave large amounts of responsibility to younger employees with tons of support and guidance. Trusted and encouraged younger employees to step up with ideas and recommendations while providing an true open door policy to support personal and career development.

The lower rating on Job Security/Advancement was more of a factor of industry economic situation.
Pros
Great development opportunities, great youth full work culture
Cons
Industry turmoil
Great upstart
General Manager - Business Processes (Former Employee) –  calgary ab24 September 2015
Excellent upstart. Quick growth brings both great challenges and great opportunity for anyone working there. Great operations group.
Loved working for this company before the oil price crash
Water Transfer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 June 2015
Definitely thought I was going to finish my career at Secure. They were a great company to work for. But as soon as it got slow in the patch it was like the management disappeared. They wouldn't answer phone calls, one time I was in the shop and asked what jobs were going to start and was told to stop asking f****n questions because its none of our f****n business.. Those were just a couple things.. On a good note this companies employees are great! The field managers and site sups and fellow laborers were great, always had an open mind listened to ideas.. Just unfortunate that the red deer office is managed the way it is.
Pros
Good pay, paid travel, time off when needed
Cons
Office management
Poor management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer15 May 2015
I didn't work here long, only because after my first shift I never heard from anybody again, I left countless messages with management to get back out there working and I was never acknowledged. I busted my but out there, always early for my shift, never slacked off and was prepared to spend my career at Secure Energy. They weren't even respectful enough to call and let me know why I was let go. I was paid very handsomely though, my hotel was also paid for. Bad management will run down hill and effect everyone, never a good place to work if this is the case.
Pros
Fellow labourers were great, I was paid very well
Cons
never home, bad management, poor communication
short staffed
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 April 2015
hard to get time off but great people around there easy going , all go when they have work pay roll needs to do better at life i am sure they will get it soon. over all i like working there . the long shifts get me missing my people tho. money is good
Pros
provide a work truck
Cons
no time for family
Great Company
Lead Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta15 March 2015
As with any company, there are several factors to take into account but my personal experience this was one of the best companies I've ever worked for.
Pros
Free lunches, free training, company vehicle
Productive workplace
Recap Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 February 2015
Great team, very respectful and helpful. Great learning experience, the work was interesting and engaging. Great management, supportive and reliable.
Great place to work, but below average pay.
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta4 February 2015
Working at Secure has definitely been a pleasure. Our facility definitely has really good moral and I am actually excited to go into work.

As an Operator, our job is not strenuous by any means, however when something goes wrong, it can definitely be stressful. Safety is and always will be the number one priority at Secure. You are never asked to rush anything. They have a, 'Take Your Time, Do it Safe, and Do it Right' mentality. The management with Secure is very good and they treat their employees very well.

I really do like working for Secure, however their pay just isn't competitive enough. They don't offer much, if anything, for housing accommodations so most of the employees are local. If you are from out of town you are required to find your own living arrangements. They are trying to hire local and if you aren't local, they expect you to eventually reside in the area because they will not pay for your hotel or rental expenses. The problem with that is, their facilities are located in booming locations where housing is extremely expensive and they definitely do not pay well enough to afford to relocate.

In comparison to where I am working, there are other companies/facilities starting their employees at around $30,000-$40,000 MORE than our starting salary.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Low Pay
Hello Secure Energy !
Couch potato (Former Employee) –  Calgary20 January 2015
Your posting for Equipment operators wanted! when you can't even keep your Secure operators that you already have working ! Try giving your own employees the option to relocate to one of the other Secure jobs.
This company is very unorganized, not reliable, breaks promises .
Over worked and under paid
Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie AB20 November 2014
too many to list...see resume. I have so many task, please see my resume.