Second Harvest is the largest food rescue organization in Canada. Since 1985, Second Harvest has been rescuing donated, excess food, which would have otherwise gone to waste and delivering that food to community agencies in Toronto. Every day Second Harvest delivers enough food to provide 19,000 meals to over 215 community agencies in Toronto. Recognized for efficiency and impact of services, independent research group Charity Intelligence Canada has named Second Harvest a Recommended Charity for the past three years.
Food Soliciting– 45% of time
- Create, lead and manage a Food Procurement Task Force and report activities to the Operations Steering Committee.
- Research and identify new sources of food, and actively recruit new donors with a goal to increase the quantity and quality of food donated.
- Conduct cold-calls and follow-up on referrals.
- Set up meetings and make presentations to prospective donors.
- Research new opportunities and creative ideas to promote Second Harvest’s food pick up service such as trade associations, speaking opportunities, industry events and industry publications, etc.
Food Donor Relationship Building and Stewardship– 25% of time
- Write thank you letters to food donors and coordinate any other recognition opportunities.
- Set up meetings, visit and make presentations to current donors with a goal to increase quantity, quality and efficiency of food donations.
- Monitor food quality through driver and agency feedback
- Write and distribute an annual food donor survey.
- Coordinate ongoing brokered pick up schedules and manage brokered stats in database.
Food Event Coordination– 20% of time
- Coordinate annual food-raising events such as Turkey Drive, Harvest for Hunger and Spring Chicken.
- Coordinate the Hunger Squad program.
- Coordinate food event and trade show food collections (with dispatch and warehouse staff).
Strategic Planning and Goal Setting– 5% of time
- Work with Director of Operations to set annual goals and targets for food donations and current donor relations.
- Develop an annual Food-Raising Plan and annual Food Donor Relations Plan.
- Liaise with philanthropy and sponsorship staff to coordinate strategies and communications with food donors
- Perform prospect clearance with other Operations staff and Second Harvest staff members before approaching new or existing donors.
- Create a plan with the Director of Operations on how to improve the quality of the food donations.
Data Entry and Analysis- 5% of time
- Maintain timely food data entry into database. Oversee staff and volunteers doing data entry and at times enter route sheet data when volunteer help is not available. Work to improve the quality and timeliness of food/operations data entry.
- Produce and analyze monthly, by period, and annual Food Donation reports.
- Record, monitor and report on monthly food quality metrics.
- Possess a post-secondary education in a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record in food-raising/fundraising or sales.
- Excellent presentation, persuasion and customer service skills.
- Excellent English and telephone skills.
- Good interpersonal skills with outgoing nature and ability to work in a team environment.
- Good time and project management skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented with the drive to succeed, and the persistence to continually follow leads and make cold-calls.
- Organized and thorough with ability to follow a task through to completion.
- Knowledge of the food industry and/or food logistics and distribution systems would be an asset.
- Must possess strong analytical skills (analyzing data and creating reports).
- Exceptional computer skills with proficiency, intermediate to advanced level, in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel and ease in using the Internet and E-mail.
- Experience with database management is a benefit.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license (Class G or higher). Willingness to operate own vehicle would be an asset.
Please submit your resume on or before February 19, 2013. We would appreciate no phone calls. In addition, we would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position. However, you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered further.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Second Harvest is the largest food rescue organization in Canada. Since 1985, Second Harvest has been rescuing donated, excess food, which...