Second Cup Employee Reviews

Fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2018
Working there, you do not even fee the time passing by. It is a great job for whoever seeking a position to improve their multitasking skills, since they need to manage to handle orders and take care of customers and transactions.
Productive and fun place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2018
immaculate coffee experience, If this is the newer location corner Elgin & Somerset. There is no protection when the street people hang around & use the chairs. Server was alone & I tried to help with the verbal abuse to customers. She let things go too long. Police or security didn't show before finally another employee did. We left soon after- not an atmosphere to relax . What's the use of a fireplace & recliners when you can't enjoy them. Coffee & dessert was very good.
Fun envivorment and flexible workplace
Barista (Key Holder) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2018
- There are busy and slow days
- Learned customer service skills, be patience, listen what the customer wants, make drinks as barista
- Excellent management at my location
- Deal with homeless and mental illness people
- Serv regular customers and make people smile because they enjoy the service provided to them
Pros
One free drink per shift
Cons
Long hours standing and short breaks
wouldnt recommend job or coffee to anyone
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lakeshore, ON30 November 2017
They don't pay you for closing (which could take up to two hours) and I'd be lucky to get enough tips for subway fair for ride home. Would not recommend this job to anyone. Also their coffee sucks.
Pros
free not good coffee
Cons
everything
Ambiance de travail agréable
Assistant-gérant (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC23 November 2017
Belle équipe, beaux souvenirs, expérience contact avec la clientèle acquis.
La clientèle et l'équipe de travail est chalereuse
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 November 2017
Se qui est merveilleux avec cette entreprise, c'est qu'on s'attache si bien a la clientèle qu'on a la volonté de donner le maximum de nous même afin de mieux les satisfaire. La satisfaction des clients devient un objectif personnel. La majorité des clients que je sers me connaisse et parfois me salue lorsque je les croisent dans la rue. Avec les clients et nos collègues, on est devenu comme une famille. Accueillir un client c'est comme accueillir un inviter chez soit. J'ai appris a être barista et j'ai développer une technique pour dessiner des feuilles sur les latter. J'ai perfectionner mes talents de barista et j'ai découvert une nouvelle passion. Les seuls choses qui fut désagréable, c'est l'organisation de l'administration et les erreurs par rapport au salaire ( ex: manque 200$ a une paie.) Nous étions le seul Second cup dont les employé bénéficiait de la moitié des avantages promis par l'entreprise.
I a simple job
Barista (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC14 November 2017
when i started it was new and fun its not hard work but the longer i worked there the less happy i was because it not for me it a easy job simple and i have great chemistry with the other employes
Pros
Simple and easy work
Cons
a lot of work no reward or bonus
Environnement de travail agréable
Barista (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC12 October 2017
La relation avec le public est ce qui rend cet emploi agréable. Prendre en compte les besoins des clients, les conseiller, les servir constitue le coeur de ce travail. Avec le temps, j'ai appris comment mettre le client en priorité afin qu'il vive une expérience à la hauteur de ses attentes. Que ce soit un client exigeant, plus difficile à gérer ou au contraire, un client très agréable, il demeure en tout temps une priorité.
A well-run business with pretty friendly co-workers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2017
I'd do inventory, take orders, serve drinks and food and assisted in keeping the cleanliness mandate up to standard.
What I learned most was probably how to work with other people in small quarters.
The management was consistent. The location was well-run and I saw them as being generally fair to its staff.
Workplace culture was pretty easy-going. It tended to be dependent on who your co-workers were each shift, but I found it fairly relaxed while still being organized.
Remaining patient and I guess polite when clients were being rude or rushing you when the place was slammed could be challenging. The management had some policies that we had to adhere to and I certainly understand that, but it wasn't always easy. Especially in the morning before some of our clients had had their first cup of coffee - definite grumpiness.
On the other hand, after the morning rush, people were generally friendly and you'd get to know a lot of the customers. I can still recite some of their regular orders if I think about it. Some of the banter would make my day, I really enjoyed it.
Pros
felxible work schedule
Cons
Nothing really
Second Cup
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2017
This location was very busy, it is located in a hospital. I worked day shift which worked with transit times, since I lived on the other side of the city. Unfortunately, with a new schedule change it made it difficult with transit. The work environment was very demanding but very enjoyable, the shift went fast.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Difficulty working around transit hours

Want to know more about Second Cup?

Ask a question
Good environment and staffing
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2017
I think that my life at Second Cup has been very beneifical to myself growing as an individual.
Although there is a lack of staffing, and many people work long hours, the employees are very upbeat and good at what they do. The management is very friendly, although at times could be considered unprofessional, and could be ran at a smoother pace.
Lovely Job
Head Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 September 2017
Great place to work, very fun and creative. Fast paced. Only real con is that it's franchised so there is virtually no room for advancement and corners are often cut.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Franchised
ok workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2017
very understandable with taking days off managers are great and well organized not the best place as far as wage wise but other than that second cup is another great starter job
Good student job, great products
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2017
I really enjoyed working for second cup, but the management was poor and run by an emotionally driven woman. You had to run after her for a pay raise. Pastries and beverages were of quality and delicious.
Pros
Delicious beverages and food
Cons
Management was poor
ok
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2017
most people work there was part time student, typical minimum wage. nothing much to say, just a normal student job. But the baristas do suspect the manager wasn't distribute tips fairly through.
Second to Fun
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
As a student relying on my part-time job as a mean of survival, I found my experience with second Cup outrageously terrible.
Firstly, the minimum wage. No need to say more.
Secondly, they took away all my debit tips and sometimes used cash tips to repair broken cafe equipment.
Franchisee had low to none respect to other people's time and needs, schedule could be adjusted one day before my shift.
Pros
Being able to take home expired products and bakery
Cons
Everything except for the pros.
Great
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 September 2017
Great experience and great job. Manager was amazing to work with and flexible hours. Very sad to give away such a great job. Would definitely work there again.
Pros
flexible hours.
Flexible hours
Cafe Supervisor/Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
I have worked for the company for more than 4 years.

Learned the extent of establishing customer relation that translates to brand loyalty among patrons.

Hours are flexible that worked well while I attend school.
Pros
Great workplace culture
Cons
Job security is not a guarantee
Working there was ok
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2017
overall i loved working there. The job itself was not bad. I just wished the management was better. I love the people, they were nice and understanding. especially when it came to vacation, employment hours and school.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
worked alone for long hours
Productive and fun workplace
Caissière, Barista (Current Employee) –  Mascouche, QC10 August 2017
It is really a fun job and as a person who cares about their work environment I think the other employees are nice and were really helpful the first few days. I've learned a lot about working with clients and perfecting every move I take. The best part of the job is that we help each other a lot as co-workers and it's always fun to learn and tell about new drinks and recipes.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Far from home