Second Cup Employee Reviews in Canada

Somewhat scattered review
Supervisor & Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I have worked at 3 different Second Cups. It all depends on management whether or not your work experience is a good one. Generally a very pleasant experience. What perks you get and how much you get paid also depend on management. The owner of the one on in Laurentian Place is one of the better franchisees in Ottawa by far. I don't work there anymore but never seen a more hands on boss who knows her stuff.
It was a nice experience.
Food Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
We had a great team. Everybody cooperates and helped one another. The management was fine and I admire my boss for being so kind and professional.
Pros
overall, i love the working environment
Cons
not enough benefits specially medical benefits
Fun workplace with enjoyable staff.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Some days were slower than others but it was always nice to get regular customers come in and knowing their order. Management and staff was easy to work with, everyone was laid back and efficient. The hardest part of the job was not buying all the pastries and eating them for myself.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Sometimes no customers for hours
A place to learn
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
Great company excellent management but I am not an office person. I wanted to start a career in a health care settings.
I enjoyed the company because I learned how government works with our taxes and the benefits that it brings to our lives
great job; horrible mangement
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 31, 2016
- great customers
- very stressful for a minimum wage job
- management makes everyone turn on you
- great if your desperate for a job
- I absolutely hated working at this job, management was incredibly rude
Pros
- free food
Cons
- Mangement is horrible
Not a good place to work.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSMarch 27, 2016
I took a job at a location in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. While working here for a short period of time I got a call for a far higher paying job and decided to accept the position. I communicated to management that I could no longer continue working for them as my new job started the following day. I was extremely busy working my new job and didn't get a chance to go in and pick up my paycheck from the second cup location so I assumed it would be sent out to the address I had provided. This was almost seven months ago and I have not received the pay. I have made several attempts to communicate with the management and they are nothing but rude and keep making excuses saying the check has been sent. I would not recommend working here unless you like to work for free.
-quick and fast paced work enviroment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
-my day consisted of long periods of barely any customers or long periods of non-stop customers
-always kept me on my toes
A very fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Working at second cup was a great experience. I loved going into work everyday because the environment was amazing. The customers were always happy, and got to connect with them since most of them were regulars. The other employees were all very friendly and more than happy to help.
Over all working with second up (run under Corporation) was one of my best jobs.
Pros
Cons
There was none.
Productive and worthwhile
Cashier and Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2016
Second Cup- Barista- interacted with customers in a polite fashion and prepared their requests.
Handled all money transactions
Performed night duties and generate sales reports
Pros
discount food/ free beverages
Cons
Early morning opening shifts (5am)
Barista Work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2016
A typical day at work in Second Cup is helping customers, and making beverages with a fast and efficient manner. The cafe must be kept clean and orderly and catering orders are placed through phone calls.
Pros
free drinks
Very Rough Atmosphere to work in
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed working here, I love working in cafes. I like working at second cup but its all about location now. I will never work in a cafe set in a mall.
Pros
free esspresso
Cons
Customers
My typical day
Key Holder and Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
I was working as a full time barista, and was constantly begging for more hours, and instead of giving the available hours to staff that needed them they would hire new staff. I started the job making minimum wage and was told after training I would receive a raise. After the training the raise didn't come as soon as I had anticipated and the store was taken over by corporate, before this we were independently owned. Once corporate took over all staff received hire packages I had spoken with the head office lady and was assured that the raise I was entitled to would be applied. When I received my first paycheck I had received a raise well above what I was said to receive. I brought this issue up with my manager who in turn said nothing. So I left it be, at this point rather then 11.50 I was making 12.50. approximately 2 months went by at this rate and the day before my payday my manager told me that corporate found a mistake and that my pay would be decreased to 11.50 again and they would be taking back pay off my pay check. I was pretty upset and went home for the day and contacted the head office lady I had spoken to before about my wage and she said she would fix it. I still got the deduction to 11.50 but they did not take off the back pay. It started to go downhill from there, my manager inputted the wrong amount of hours on my paycheck and wasn't able to fix it for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I recieved the remaining $ of my paycheck. A co-worker one day didn't show up for a shift I had opened the store on time, but the food order was late. I called said employee and she never  more... returned my calls, it was a busy morning and i was overwhelmed, I had called my manager and he did not answer for a few hours, and when he finally did about an hour later he said well i have someone else scheduled in in an hour you'll be fine until then. So at that point I had opened the store and ran it alone with no help from my manager for 4 hours of my shift. A similar situation, A fellow co worker who works part time and has two jobs was promoted to "manager" and all other staff didn't agree that he was deserving. He let it go to his head where he would threaten jobs and do "paperwork" in the back the whole shift. One morning I wasn't sure when I worked, I usually worked 530 am until around 1 so I went in at 530 and wasn't scheduled until six. The "manager" was scheduled for 530, I went home (across the street) and had breakfast with my boyfriend and was back at 6am (opening). When I arrived at 6am the "manager" hadn't shown up and none of the opening was done. I had to lock the doors to keep customers out while I struggled to open alone. I put a sign on the door and called my manager to inform him the store was not open and the "manager" had not shown up for his shift. After half an hour of not hearing back from my manager I locked up the store and went home because I could not operate a store by myself as I had done in the past. I quit the same day.  less
Pros
Made some good friends and met some nice customers
Cons
terrible management
fun atmosphere
Trained & Certified Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
great coworkers
amazing managers
free drinks!!
clean up was easy because of the small space
loved learning to make different drinks
learning the history behind coffee was one of my favourite parts
Great atmosphere
Corporate Manager / Barista (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJanuary 19, 2016
The Cafe was a great atmosphere to work, the customers were fantastic. The job was fun and educational.

The team / staff worked well together and was always a challenge when hiring to ensure the compatibility of everyone.

Responsible for daily paperwork, budgets, meeting sales objectives and scheduling.
One of my favorite jobs
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2016
I loved my experience at Second Cup. I got to know so many people and made life-long friends. I loved getting to know my regular customers and having chats with every single one of them every morning. Making specialty drinks was super fun as well.
Fun and interactive
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 24, 2015
Once you remember drinks and become familiar with the register, the rest is up to presentation and customer satisfaction. A fun job, requires focus
Fun place to work at
Part Time - Barista/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 24, 2015
Making coffee was one of the best work experiences I had, this job taught me great customer service tools that I can take forward in life.
Pros
Balance between life and work was well managed
Cons
commute
Positive Place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONNovember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at second cup. The management, staff and customers were all great to deal with. The experience of being a barista was alot of fun. I would continue doing this job but unfortunately minimum wage is not enough for me to raise my family with.
Fun but meaningless work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
Second Cup was a great place for me to work. As young student, Second Cup provided me with real insight to one branch of the working world and led me to realizations with respect to what I do and do not want out of life.
Pros
Discounted food, free drinks, flexible work hours, caring management, customers
Cons
Degrading, customers
Nice and Funny place
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
I learned a lot at Second Cup, and I am really grateful for the opportunity and trust. I made some friends, like co-workers and costumers.