Second Cup Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2017
Working at Second Cup taught me how to work in a fast pace environment under pressure along with utilize skills like memory and communication with customers.
Kept me motivated and inspired to provide excellent customer service
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
I learned how to multi task and work productively with a team of peers. Learned beneficial working habits and proper time management skills. Built trust within my managing staff which allowed me to work at my pace.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Stressful, but fun making the drinks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
Evenings are easy going, unlike mornings. At the location where I work we have a drive through and the orders are taken by memorization which makes it very stressful if you do not have a super good memory and can work under pressure. While taking orders you want to make sure you write it on the cup so you don't forget. Second Cup is franchised, and so we don't have any managers besides the family who own it. I really do enjoy making the drinks, but it is stressful because there are only 2 people working during the day, so that sometimes when it is busy during the day, it is hard taking all the orders from the drive through and the orders from the inside while making all the drinks with only 2 people. So besides the heavy rushes, it is a nice environment. I enjoy the quietness of the conversations customers have while sipping the coffee you just made for them, it's relaxing.
Very fun and calm environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 May 2017
it was very calm and not very stressful. My co-workers were diverse and open as we became friends. I learned I had to pay close a attention to the consumers wants and preferences.How fun and relaxing it was
Productive and fun work place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
A typical day at Second Cup was pretty busy with only the lunch hour and closing hour was it ever quite. I learned how to deal with customers when they are upset about a drink or one of our products. The manager at the Second Cup i worked could learn a little more about his employees and be a little more understanding to some of the staffs situations. The hardest part about my job was making sure i kept up the pace because we could have a line up of 20 people and need to get all their drinks done within 5mins. The most enjoyable part about my job was talking with the customers and having great conversations with the regulars, as well as hanging out with my co-workers.
great job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2017
great working culture
good salary for a student
good management
make a lot of friends
a lot of time flexibility
people from all over the world!!!!
it is not tired work there
Each store is different
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2017
I believe that because they are individually owned and operated by franchise owners, they are all different and the corporation should be doing more to manage and ensure all second cup businesses are operating under policy.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad management
Busy and rewarding coffee shop on campus
Supervisor/Key Holder/Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
Bustling coffee shop located at York University. Great environment, great owners, great staff. High turnover rate which is not uncommon on a university campus. Gave opportunities for advancement to individuals who showed great attitude and work ethic.
Pros
Staff parties/bbqs
Cons
Hard to get more than 30 hours a week
Very social place to worl
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 April 2017
Working at second cup was an outstanding experience. On daily basis, I got to talk to many customers. Most of the people who came into the restaurant were very nice, and the pleasant atmosphere and managers staff made it a great experience over all.
Pros
social environment
Cons
not stable hours
fun place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 April 2017
Good work place, friendly staff and customer. good pay and good hours too. good over time hours as well. needed more staff and more weekly chores. overall everything was good
Pros
50% discount
Cons
slow days
Ok
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
The workplace per se were really fun and the equipments are top of the class. It is fun to meet and serve people, and learn trends in coffee business.
Did not even want to go back after first day of training
Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2017
The owners were horrible, did not treat staff appropriately. Often made rude comments about new hires. Did not feel comfortable going in for the second day of training because of how rude the owners were.
Cons
Owners
Aramark
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 April 2017
The only problem about the Second Cup I work for is that it's own by Aramark, so I guess I did not feel good working here because of that. I think that a regular Second Cup working down Second Cup's rules and all that must be quite good. I hope...
Pros
Free food (Aramark)
Cons
On feet all day
Job lost by poorly run company
Key Holder / Barista (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2017
This place was amazing while it lasted. The customers were friendly, and the staff was more like a family than a bunch of employees.
But with corporate only caring about money, the well being of you as an employee is blatently ignored. The discounts were substantially reduced, the upper management was constantly changing, and there was NO chance for any type of benefit from the company.
The company wreaks of a slow disintegration, in which they only care about what they can get out of it before the company itself goes down.
Pros
The customers and fellow employees
Cons
Mistreatment by corporate, Sketchy business ethics, secretive about changes to staff and company.
Worst company to work for
Order taking and cash handling (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2017
Never seen such a mismanaged company. Management has no clue to what to do. Management changes every 9-10 months. So dishonest. Just want to make money forthemselves.
Pros
Cons
So Many
Fun Warm work place, very friendly staff
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 April 2017
management is great and so are the employees. Great atmosphere, a very healthy and friendly environment to work in. Everyday is pretty easy and straight forward,, not a high stress job.
Pros
free drink for employees
Cons
3 different locations you have to travel to
Long hours with little benefits and min.wage
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
The store I am working at is poorly managed, under staffed and poorly stocked. You learn to adapt quickly in a fast paced environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the many corners the owner/manager cuts, The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing people you work with and most if not all the regulars are the nicest people around.
Pros
Paid breaks, awesome co-workers, friendly regulars
Cons
Few if any breaks, employee discount only applies to your store
productive and fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2017
job security is so good. having fun is number one while working. management is nice and welcoming including the employees and hospital employees. good company.
Pros
free drink
Productive and Stressful
Corporate Manager (Former Employee) –  Second Cup Oakville/Burlington/Stoney Creek4 April 2017
Second cup wouldn't be second cup without their guests. The different type of people coming in and out of the store that you get too serve make your day worth working at second cup. At points it can be stressful trying to balance out all the store duties. I believe the hardest part of the job as a manager was trying to get all the paperwork done - while still trying to work behind the counter!
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Fun work environment but often understaffed and mismanaged
Barista & Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 April 2017
I loved all the friends I made at Second Cup and I loved meeting regulars and being a bright spot in everyone's day. The work was fast-paced and there's was always something to do so time went by quite quickly. I worked for three different owners and across the board they cared little for employees and gave almost no training to new employees. Assistant managers were much more involved but rare and underpaid. The hardest part of the job was doing with one or two people what four people should be doing. The best part was all the new people I got to meet and that my skill at the job made it easy and fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Second Cup. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9