Second Cup Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2015
awesome! i loved working at second cup, it was such a friendly and supportive enviroment and my manager worked around my school schedule
Favourite First Job
Key holder/Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Tips, new people, fun
Cons: evening and weekends
Fun and face-paced.
You learn a lot and meet new people all the time.
The owners typically know what they are doing and ensure structure in the store.
Great place to work and many people to talk to
Barista (Current Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Free drink and 50% discounts
Cons: Work alone some days
Great work environment which allows you to have fun and enjoy serving customers. Co-workers and management allow you to enjoy your time at work.
Fast paced environment based on strong teamwork.
BARISTA (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Building lasting relationships, learning efficiency, free trips.
Cons: The occasional day without breaks.
A typical day at work consists of many short interactions with a variety of people. Rushes would come rather spontaneously throughout the day and last for various periods of time. At designated times certain tasks were needed to be completed, and throughout the day various tasks needed to be taken care of as required. As an example of this, all merchandise needed to be stocked through out the day and coffee needed to be readily available. Our goal was to give customers a great experience, so that is what we strived to do through cleanliness, our service, and the products we had available.

While working at Second Cup I learned to be extremely organized and complete tasks efficiently and effectively. While making drinks for the guests I discovered the tool of self improvement and striving to be better through both learning new Latte art patterns and aiming to be as efficient as possible. Through being a barista I also learned to problem solve and adapt to fulfil the needs of a variety of customers, I learned to take criticism as a way to improve. At this workplace I truly learnt the benefits of having a team mindset as well as the benefits it brings the company, this was a must in order to function to the best of our abilities and bring the best experience to the customers.

At this workplace both the management and coworkers were wonderful. The management made clear the importance of teamwork, and advocated a family like feel in the workplace. Management also encouraged us to be our best, hours were extremely reasonable, expectations were realistic and attainable. – more...
The coworkers at second cup were just as amazing as the management. We worked together towards a common goal; a phenomenal experience for our fellow employees and the guests we served. Growth was encouraged within each other along with a positive attitude no matter the circumstance. Overall the workplace was a positive environment to be in.

Though surrounded by such an incredible environment, this job like any had hard parts to it. The hardest part of my career at second cup would have to be balancing my work and life. It was extremely difficult to say no to tasks that were given to me while I was off shift, and I would generally do anything possible to help the business run smoothly.

There were so many enjoyable parts to my position. When thinking of the one that stands out the most, I would have to say interacting with the customers and even building relationships with some of them. The best part of the job was making someone a latte, having the perfect latte art and seeing their eyes light up at the sight. In a tie with that I would say building the actual relationships would also bring a great deal of enjoyment. Though generally just a two- three minute conversation, learning about someone new and having them share with you is a wonderful experience. – less
Great location and atmosphere.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2015
I loved the early morning shift and serving the locals their first cup of coffee every morning to start their day. Had wonderful conversations with customers and made a lot of good friends. Worked with a great team and everyone was very pleasant and helpful.
conscientiously working towards building relationships
Regional HR and Training Head (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 20, 2015
Constantly striking balance between the partners and corporate. stretched out hours of work is typically the hardest part of the work. The enjoyable part is to have the best coffee available anytime.
Fun, fast paced, not a career
Barista (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 19, 2015
Pros: Free sandwich on 8 hour shift, great people, great management
Cons: low rate of pay, inconsistent hours
Typical day at work consists of a great work environment, either slow or busy (no in between). I learned how to make lattes, espresso, cappucinos, etc. The management is wonderful and very empathetic. My co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was the clarity of some tasks. I enjoyed making fun memories with the customers and my co-workers.
it was my first job so it taught me everything..
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 20, 2015
Pros: free coffees
Cons: n/a
typical day at work was always busy..
as an assistant manager i used to manage everything at the store..
staff members were all friendly and hard working...
when brewers get down in the busiest time...
making coffees.
Fun place to work
Barista (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONMay 15, 2015
Loved working here, got to meet new people and hear their stories daily. I learned how to make perfect drinks for customers and proper customer service.
barista
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2015
great - Responsible for grinding& brewing coffee preparing& serving specialty beverages and warming food pastries.
- Clean the café area, its operating devices such as the espresso machines, coffee urns, ovens, refrigerators and pastry cases.
- Work well with other team members & had friendly service with guests
- Worked enthusiastically with others and remembered customer names and their signature drinks.
Second Cup
Server/Cashier (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 22, 2015
The management there were very nice, treated me like family. Got to try everything on there menu for suggestions to costumers. They are extremely nice to not only the costumers but the employees as well. I would recommend working here
Great Place to Work while in School
Barista (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2015
Great environment to meet and built a relationship with customers.
Enjoyed the calm atmosphere and the great staff energy.
Fun and social workplace
Barista (Current Employee), Toronto OntarioMarch 27, 2015
Working at Second Cup is a lot of fun. Everyone is friendly and social, both customers and co-workers. As a Barista, the job requires a lot of memorization and working fast and well under high stress situations. Being able to put a smile on someone's face is the best part of the job.
second cup
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2015
Was an alright job just needed more hours good people great customers was a great experience to have worked win second cup
Cashier face to face costumer Rep
Face to face costumer Rep (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2015
Clean environment easy tasks, hands on work place. Great costumers, great team members. Clean and organized work place.
Barista Position
Barista and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 7, 2015
Fist I counted the register. The I would automatically glance at what needed to be refilled or cleaned. After I would begun serving customers and doing my required duties for the day. At closing I cleaned and refilled everything, as well as count the till.
Second Cup Review
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: working with friends
Cons: no real life experience
It has been three years since I have worked at Second Cup, but for the time I was there it was quite enjoyable because I was able to work with friends. Once again, the toughest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers but this experience gave me the skills I would need for my next job in the restaurant industry. I got along very well with my co-workers and management and I only left this job because at the time I was just starting my first degree in University and was not making enough money to support myself.
I enjoy the customers, but not the management
Barista (Current Employee), Portland Street, DartmouthFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: laid back atmosphere, and amazing customers
Cons: lack of hours
This is a very fast paced job, which I do enjoy for the most part.

My co-workers are a tight knit group which I feel like I belong; however the management is less than stellar.

There isn't anything difficult about this job, and as mentioned I do enjoy it quite a bit.
Typical Franchise
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton (South Common)February 18, 2015
Pros: it was close to my house, flexible schedule
Cons: minimum wage with no raises, no recording of inventory, no official suppliers, no consistency, no training, no raises, food expired due to poor organization, illegal/unethical business practices
The quality of this job is highly dependent on your manager, just like any franchise.

No benefits were provided. Minimum wage was all that was offered, and after 7 months of hard work I was never offered a raise. I am an extremely hard worker, but Second Cup is in a lot of debt. They can't afford to provide health and dental or give raises.

Advancement doesn't exist. At my Second Cup, there were two positions: baristas or the owner. There was nothing to amount to. No manager, assistant manager, or shift supervisor. You were always at the bottom.

My manager admitted she bought a Second Cup because she wanted to make money off of other peoples hard work.

At that point, I knew everything about this company was doomed. Anyone can buy one. Even if they have absolutely no business or food industry background. If you fail an inspection, you pay a fee. That's all.

The only good thing that came from working here, was meeting some great people and being able to build my own schedule. Literally, the entire staff made their own schedules because the manager couldn't. It was pathetic, but also helpful.

All in all, don't work for a Second Cup. Yes, they're Canadian. But because it's franchised, there's absolutely no consistency in this business, and it's in mass amount of debt. Things aren't looking up any time soon.

I have worked at a Starbucks previously, and although at the time I felt like it was slave labour, they are actually quite a fair employer. If you are interested in the barista business at all, I highly encourage either a local cafe or a Starbucks. Somewhere with ethics.
fun fast paced work environment
Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 13, 2015
deal with many customers per day
memorize a wide variety of drinks and procedures
current manager is lenient and tries to accommodate everyone with scheduling
all employees are nice and easy to work with
it is hard to find strong capable people for the job, people thinks its just a coffee shop, very easy to work at but it is a very demanding focus oriented job
i enjoy that the days go by quickly, there is always something to do, its not a lazy job