Second Cup Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a good place to work.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSMarch 27, 2016
I took a job at a location in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. While working here for a short period of time I got a call for a far higher paying job and decided to accept the position. I communicated to management that I could no longer continue working for them as my new job started the following day. I was extremely busy working my new job and didn't get a chance to go in and pick up my paycheck from the second cup location so I assumed it would be sent out to the address I had provided. This was almost seven months ago and I have not received the pay. I have made several attempts to communicate with the management and they are nothing but rude and keep making excuses saying the check has been sent. I would not recommend working here unless you like to work for free.
Positive Place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONNovember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at second cup. The management, staff and customers were all great to deal with. The experience of being a barista was alot of fun. I would continue doing this job but unfortunately minimum wage is not enough for me to raise my family with.
Great Company, poor ownership
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AbOctober 4, 2015
I was in charge of the morning shift at Second Cup, Bourbon St, since being hired on and being asked to fill said position.
The turnover rate was quite high for this location because of the volume of patronage as well as the previous management.
I was approached to be a manager within 3 weeks of employment there and agreed to work towards the position. I received very little training for the management position and resorted to what I have learnt through previous retail experiences. Despite the lack of training, the café ran smoothly and was always open on time while I was in charge of morning shift. I communicated to each employee the daily tasks that would be accomplished and ensured that they would be completed in a timely and efficient manner.
I also completed scheduling, daily food orders and dealt with problems with the till system (which there were many).
Overall, I enjoyed the regular customers that would come everyday, the products and the people that I worked everyday with.
Pros
Free coffee, staff and patrons
Cons
No benefits, poor ownership
My typical day
Key Holder and Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
I was working as a full time barista, and was constantly begging for more hours, and instead of giving the available hours to staff that needed them they would hire new staff. I started the job making minimum wage and was told after training I would receive a raise. After the training the raise didn't come as soon as I had anticipated and the store was taken over by corporate, before this we were independently owned. Once corporate took over all staff received hire packages I had spoken with the head office lady and was assured that the raise I was entitled to would be applied. When I received my first paycheck I had received a raise well above what I was said to receive. I brought this issue up with my manager who in turn said nothing. So I left it be, at this point rather then 11.50 I was making 12.50. approximately 2 months went by at this rate and the day before my payday my manager told me that corporate found a mistake and that my pay would be decreased to 11.50 again and they would be taking back pay off my pay check. I was pretty upset and went home for the day and contacted the head office lady I had spoken to before about my wage and she said she would fix it. I still got the deduction to 11.50 but they did not take off the back pay. It started to go downhill from there, my manager inputted the wrong amount of hours on my paycheck and wasn't able to fix it for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I recieved the remaining $ of my paycheck. A co-worker one day didn't show up for a shift I had opened the store on time, but the food order was late. I called said employee and she never  more... returned my calls, it was a busy morning and i was overwhelmed, I had called my manager and he did not answer for a few hours, and when he finally did about an hour later he said well i have someone else scheduled in in an hour you'll be fine until then. So at that point I had opened the store and ran it alone with no help from my manager for 4 hours of my shift. A similar situation, A fellow co worker who works part time and has two jobs was promoted to "manager" and all other staff didn't agree that he was deserving. He let it go to his head where he would threaten jobs and do "paperwork" in the back the whole shift. One morning I wasn't sure when I worked, I usually worked 530 am until around 1 so I went in at 530 and wasn't scheduled until six. The "manager" was scheduled for 530, I went home (across the street) and had breakfast with my boyfriend and was back at 6am (opening). When I arrived at 6am the "manager" hadn't shown up and none of the opening was done. I had to lock the doors to keep customers out while I struggled to open alone. I put a sign on the door and called my manager to inform him the store was not open and the "manager" had not shown up for his shift. After half an hour of not hearing back from my manager I locked up the store and went home because I could not operate a store by myself as I had done in the past. I quit the same day.  less
Pros
Made some good friends and met some nice customers
Cons
terrible management
Productive and Fun Environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 6, 2016
It's busy there because it is in the heart of the city, but I miss it non-the-less. You learn to make drinks, work in a fast pace environment, and deal with busy customers.
The management is relaxed and teaches you one-on-one which makes it easier to adapt. It's a great first job, too!
My co-workers were serious, mature, and knowledgeable. If you have trouble learning several perfected recipes and keeping up with the lunch crowd, you may have difficulties.
I have several favourite parts from this job. I learned all the delicious recipes, relaxed with my co-workers until another customer arrived, the welcoming manager, and the fresh environment.
Pros
free drinks at work, discounts after work, discounts at Davids Tea, and friend/family discounts
Cons
hard to get hours as a student
great job; horrible mangement
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 31, 2016
- great customers
- very stressful for a minimum wage job
- management makes everyone turn on you
- great if your desperate for a job
- I absolutely hated working at this job, management was incredibly rude
Pros
- free food
Cons
- Mangement is horrible
Somewhat scattered review
Supervisor & Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I have worked at 3 different Second Cups. It all depends on management whether or not your work experience is a good one. Generally a very pleasant experience. What perks you get and how much you get paid also depend on management. The owner of the one on in Laurentian Place is one of the better franchisees in Ottawa by far. I don't work there anymore but never seen a more hands on boss who knows her stuff.
Great place to work if you like it fast paced
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Prep for open bright and early at 6am. Lots to do in a short period of time and sometimes alone because some staff aren't punctual. It's your job to be accurate, quick and pleasant. Must be a multi-tasker. Can't be easily offended because some customers will get under your skin with their demands.
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
8-9 hrs on your feet with only a 30min break
Very challenging job
Manager/Owner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
my job was to hire staff and order products online and be behind the line to serve costumers.i learned to be fast in serving and deal with difficult costumers.My co workers are great because i hired them.the hardest part of the work was that i have to work long hours (7am-7pm).The most enjoyable part was talking regular to costumers and working with my staff.
Fun workplace with enjoyable staff.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Some days were slower than others but it was always nice to get regular customers come in and knowing their order. Management and staff was easy to work with, everyone was laid back and efficient. The hardest part of the job was not buying all the pastries and eating them for myself.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Sometimes no customers for hours
Fast paced but fun work environment with much interactions with all kinds of people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 17, 2016
It is a fast paced work environment. Co-workers are all very kind and fun to work with. Interactions with customers keeps the job interesting and fun. Being able to learn something new about people everyday brings a new energy and curiosity to your work environment.
A very fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Working at second cup was a great experience. I loved going into work everyday because the environment was amazing. The customers were always happy, and got to connect with them since most of them were regulars. The other employees were all very friendly and more than happy to help.
Over all working with second up (run under Corporation) was one of my best jobs.
Pros
Cons
There was none.
Fun but meaningless work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
Second Cup was a great place for me to work. As young student, Second Cup provided me with real insight to one branch of the working world and led me to realizations with respect to what I do and do not want out of life.
Pros
Discounted food, free drinks, flexible work hours, caring management, customers
Cons
Degrading, customers
A place to learn
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
Great company excellent management but I am not an office person. I wanted to start a career in a health care settings.
I enjoyed the company because I learned how government works with our taxes and the benefits that it brings to our lives
It was a nice experience.
Food Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
We had a great team. Everybody cooperates and helped one another. The management was fine and I admire my boss for being so kind and professional.
Pros
overall, i love the working environment
Cons
not enough benefits specially medical benefits
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Shediac, NBJune 13, 2016
Serve customers in drive thru as well as at the counter. I have learned to close the store, prep and fill displays along with nightly cleaning procedures,great employees.
Pros
25% off food, free beverages
Cons
some long shifts
Productive and worthwhile
Cashier and Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2016
Second Cup- Barista- interacted with customers in a polite fashion and prepared their requests.
Handled all money transactions
Performed night duties and generate sales reports
Pros
discount food/ free beverages
Cons
Early morning opening shifts (5am)
Great atmosphere
Corporate Manager / Barista (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJanuary 19, 2016
The Cafe was a great atmosphere to work, the customers were fantastic. The job was fun and educational.

The team / staff worked well together and was always a challenge when hiring to ensure the compatibility of everyone.

Responsible for daily paperwork, budgets, meeting sales objectives and scheduling.
So much potential, Horrible managment
Barrista/Lead Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 4, 2012
Management at the location I worked at was appalling. Almost zero room for advancement, people were hired and fired in a week almost the entire time I worked there (about a year). No benefits offered, never given a raise, in order to earn your barista title, your manger must contact head office to administer a drink making test. I asked numerous times to take the test, they told me it just wasn't convenient enough for them to schedule it. I never got my raise despite being "promoted" doing lead agent duties for minimum wages and not having the title.
Pros
one free latte each shift, unlimited italian sodas.
Cons
long hours, little to no on site training, never saw time paid for online training that was offered.
-quick and fast paced work enviroment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
-my day consisted of long periods of barely any customers or long periods of non-stop customers
-always kept me on my toes