Second Cup Employee Reviews

Fun, fast-paced environment
Key Holder/Barista (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON27 September 2016
This job was not only great for the sheer fact of what it was, but also for the experience I gained. I can honestly say that working as a key-holder and a barista taught me more than any other environment. My multi-tasking ability has sky rocketed, and my communication and team working skills have only grown. My only complaint, was the management of my specific location. Customer complaints were made, and many tasks were completed on my behalf that didn't necessarily line up with my job description. Other than that, a fabulous place to work. Thanks Second Cup!
Pros
coffee. all day.
Cons
no breaks, long hours on feet
Fun and flexible place to work for students
Supervisor/Head Barista (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 January 2017
I enjoyed most of my time here. The staff and old management were very gracious and helpful when I first moved to Toronto.

Scheduling was fair and easy to work with. In general, if I needed shifts,I got them.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
No benefits
Safe working environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of helping customers out with beans, taking orders and making drinks. As a learning experience so far i have learned that organization and routine work is key to a well worked shift, and experience for the customers. Management prioritizes the safety and proper training of the employee. The hardest part of the job is getting the hang of making the drinks, such as steaming the milk, pulling the shots, and remembering the key ingredients of each latte. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers and giving them a pleasant experience each and every time they step in the cafe.
Not Recommended in the Slightest
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 January 2017
I'm not sure if this goes for all locations but I would never return to the location I worked at. There were plenty of issues with management, supplies, payment and in multiple cases issues with customers. Co-workers were at least sentimental to each other's problems since they were feeling the same way but Management was for lack of a better word, abysmal.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Terrible Management and issues galore
Terrible Company - The company is dying!
REGIONAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Canada25 October 2016
Senior level manager working for corporate office. Recent management changes have been very poor. CEO and her Executive Team have their heads in the sand and are not looking out for the best interest of their Franchise Partners.

Do not invest in this company and I wouldn't recommend working for them either.
Pros
Assisting Franchise Partners
Cafe with Personality and great Coffee
Barista (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 October 2016
Busy little Cafe on the main stretch of downtown Barrie
Great colleagues to work with
Amazing opportunities to meet different people
Learned how to create specialty drinks, the history of Coffee, and the differences between the different roasts available.
Pros
Fun Environment
Cons
Not enough hours, no room for advancement
Nice work enviornment
Key Holder/Barista (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON4 January 2017
Lovely time working with staff and customers. I would consider it to be a social and fun place to work. Management is very understanding and helpful.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
unpredictable shifts
A place to learn
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
Great company excellent management but I am not an office person. I wanted to start a career in a health care settings.
I enjoyed the company because I learned how government works with our taxes and the benefits that it brings to our lives
Productive and Fun Environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK6 June 2016
It's busy there because it is in the heart of the city, but I miss it non-the-less. You learn to make drinks, work in a fast pace environment, and deal with busy customers.
The management is relaxed and teaches you one-on-one which makes it easier to adapt. It's a great first job, too!
My co-workers were serious, mature, and knowledgeable. If you have trouble learning several perfected recipes and keeping up with the lunch crowd, you may have difficulties.
I have several favourite parts from this job. I learned all the delicious recipes, relaxed with my co-workers until another customer arrived, the welcoming manager, and the fresh environment.
Pros
free drinks at work, discounts after work, discounts at Davids Tea, and friend/family discounts
Cons
hard to get hours as a student
Busy and lively workplace
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montreal-ouest, QC13 June 2016
This coffee shop is known in the neighborhood for its welcoming environment and friendly staff and our clientele is made up mostly of regulars, some of whom have been coming in to buy their coffee since the venue opened ten years ago. The role made use of my strong interpersonal skills and customer service experience as I was required to slip seamlessly into the team and create a rapport with clients, which included remembering regulars' drinks and names. A typical day at work could include opening and preparing the cafe for the day (laying out food, tables, terrace and making coffee, handling morning rush), closing the cafe and making sure all out-of-date food properly dispensed of, cashing-up for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is having my work commended by others (regular customers and staff) and serving others. My co-workers set a high standard and everyone is friendly. Management are flexible about shifts and care about the service they provide which makes it easy and enjoyable to work there.
Pros
Friendy management, staff and customers
Cons
Unreliability of regular shifts

Want to know more about Second Cup?

Ask a question
Fun workplace while serving regulars daily.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Opening the store and setting up the coffee and food for opening was fine, early work hours but got off early which is good as well. Doing inventory weekly for ordering, and closing till after shift and balancing money. supervising other staff to help keep the day to day simple and easy and efficient.
Pros
Free coffee while you work
Cons
Picky customers
Perfect Entry Level Job
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 January 2017
Easy and light duties for those who want a part time and student job. Free brewed coffee and tea drinks, So much fun to learn on how different kinds of coffee blends differ from one another.
Pros
Easy kind of job, not busy at all times, huge employee discounts
Cons
Not enough supplies especially those most important ones like cups, lids, straws and syrups
Not a good place to work.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS27 March 2016
I took a job at a location in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. While working here for a short period of time I got a call for a far higher paying job and decided to accept the position. I communicated to management that I could no longer continue working for them as my new job started the following day. I was extremely busy working my new job and didn't get a chance to go in and pick up my paycheck from the second cup location so I assumed it would be sent out to the address I had provided. This was almost seven months ago and I have not received the pay. I have made several attempts to communicate with the management and they are nothing but rude and keep making excuses saying the check has been sent. I would not recommend working here unless you like to work for free.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  99 Metcalfe6 September 2016
Very straightforward job and great for college students and young people. Generally flexible hours depending on location and great work culture. WOuld recommend.
It was a nice experience.
Food Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2016
We had a great team. Everybody cooperates and helped one another. The management was fine and I admire my boss for being so kind and professional.
Pros
overall, i love the working environment
Cons
not enough benefits specially medical benefits
Interesting and Challenging Place to work
Corporate Café Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
You will always learn something new from working at multiple locations, and every day is different. It has been an enjoyable experience working for this company, I am just looking for a new challenge in my life.
Very challenging job
Manager/Owner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2016
my job was to hire staff and order products online and be behind the line to serve costumers.i learned to be fast in serving and deal with difficult costumers.My co workers are great because i hired them.the hardest part of the work was that i have to work long hours (7am-7pm).The most enjoyable part was talking regular to costumers and working with my staff.
Very friendly environment
Barista/Server (Current Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QC2 December 2016
I love my staff I work with and I love all my customers owner of the store seems stressed at times, but I do love everyone. Drinks and food are amazing and fresh I love representing second cup! Once I did get burned from hot water and only I was working so I had to continue working and it hurt.
Pros
Lots of fun
Cons
Stressful at times
Second Cup
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 December 2016
fun company to work for. The work isn't bad either. The only downfall is the pay is minimum wage. Had I gotten paid a reasonable amount I would've stayed with Second Cup.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
too little pay
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
I would say its one of the easiest jobs for a coffee shop.
If it was a corporate store instead of a franchise it would be better.
They try to do different things verses a corporate store.
Owners don't pay as good as corporate. But money isn't everything right.
Laid back on the uniform which is nice
Pros
flexable
Cons
not caring

2.9