Second Cup Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
My typical day
Key Holder and Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Made some good friends and met some nice customers
Cons: terrible management
I was working as a full time barista, and was constantly begging for more hours, and instead of giving the available hours to staff that needed them they would hire new staff. I started the job making minimum wage and was told after training I would receive a raise. After the training the raise didn't come as soon as I had anticipated and the store was taken over by corporate, before this we were independently owned. Once corporate took over all staff received hire packages I had spoken with the head office lady and was assured that the raise I was entitled to would be applied. When I received my first paycheck I had received a raise well above what I was said to receive. I brought this issue up with my manager who in turn said nothing. So I left it be, at this point rather then 11.50 I was making 12.50. approximately 2 months went by at this rate and the day before my payday my manager told me that corporate found a mistake and that my pay would be decreased to 11.50 again and they would be taking back pay off my pay check. I was pretty upset and went home for the day and contacted the head office lady I had spoken to before about my wage and she said she would fix it. I still got the deduction to 11.50 but they did not take off the back pay. It started to go downhill from there, my manager inputted the wrong amount of hours on my paycheck and wasn't able to fix it for 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I recieved the remaining $ of my paycheck. A co-worker one day didn't show up for a shift I had opened the store on time, but the food order was late. I called said employee and she never – more... returned my calls, it was a busy morning and i was overwhelmed, I had called my manager and he did not answer for a few hours, and when he finally did about an hour later he said well i have someone else scheduled in in an hour you'll be fine until then. So at that point I had opened the store and ran it alone with no help from my manager for 4 hours of my shift. A similar situation, A fellow co worker who works part time and has two jobs was promoted to "manager" and all other staff didn't agree that he was deserving. He let it go to his head where he would threaten jobs and do "paperwork" in the back the whole shift. One morning I wasn't sure when I worked, I usually worked 530 am until around 1 so I went in at 530 and wasn't scheduled until six. The "manager" was scheduled for 530, I went home (across the street) and had breakfast with my boyfriend and was back at 6am (opening). When I arrived at 6am the "manager" hadn't shown up and none of the opening was done. I had to lock the doors to keep customers out while I struggled to open alone. I put a sign on the door and called my manager to inform him the store was not open and the "manager" had not shown up for his shift. After half an hour of not hearing back from my manager I locked up the store and went home because I could not operate a store by myself as I had done in the past. I quit the same day. – less
fun atmosphere
Trained & Certified Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
great coworkers
amazing managers
free drinks!!
clean up was easy because of the small space
loved learning to make different drinks
learning the history behind coffee was one of my favourite parts
Great atmosphere
Corporate Manager / Barista (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJanuary 19, 2016
The Cafe was a great atmosphere to work, the customers were fantastic. The job was fun and educational.

The team / staff worked well together and was always a challenge when hiring to ensure the compatibility of everyone.

Responsible for daily paperwork, budgets, meeting sales objectives and scheduling.
One of my favorite jobs
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2016
I loved my experience at Second Cup. I got to know so many people and made life-long friends. I loved getting to know my regular customers and having chats with every single one of them every morning. Making specialty drinks was super fun as well.
Fun and interactive
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 24, 2015
Once you remember drinks and become familiar with the register, the rest is up to presentation and customer satisfaction. A fun job, requires focus
Fun place to work at
Part Time - Barista/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Balance between life and work was well managed
Cons: commute
Making coffee was one of the best work experiences I had, this job taught me great customer service tools that I can take forward in life.
Positive Place to work
Barista (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONNovember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my time working at second cup. The management, staff and customers were all great to deal with. The experience of being a barista was alot of fun. I would continue doing this job but unfortunately minimum wage is not enough for me to raise my family with.
Fun but meaningless work
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Discounted food, free drinks, flexible work hours, caring management, customers
Cons: Degrading, customers
Second Cup was a great place for me to work. As young student, Second Cup provided me with real insight to one branch of the working world and led me to realizations with respect to what I do and do not want out of life.
Nice and Funny place
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
I learned a lot at Second Cup, and I am really grateful for the opportunity and trust. I made some friends, like co-workers and costumers.
Clean, fun loving environment with great staff
Barista (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2015
Pros: breaks whenever down time between customers, tips
early shifts starting at 6am often ending anywhere between 12pm-3pm. other staff members made for an enjoyable and productive shift.
Great Company, poor ownership
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbOctober 4, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, staff and patrons
Cons: No benefits, poor ownership
I was in charge of the morning shift at Second Cup, Bourbon St, since being hired on and being asked to fill said position.
The turnover rate was quite high for this location because of the volume of patronage as well as the previous management.
I was approached to be a manager within 3 weeks of employment there and agreed to work towards the position. I received very little training for the management position and resorted to what I have learnt through previous retail experiences. Despite the lack of training, the café ran smoothly and was always open on time while I was in charge of morning shift. I communicated to each employee the daily tasks that would be accomplished and ensured that they would be completed in a timely and efficient manner.
I also completed scheduling, daily food orders and dealt with problems with the till system (which there were many).
Overall, I enjoyed the regular customers that would come everyday, the products and the people that I worked everyday with.
very tense, the boss never trained his employees
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2015
Pros: free drinks (once a day)
Cons: hostile work environment
The boss would not train his employees properly. I was denied proper training and was told to train new employees. There was barely any diversity and not a very supportive work environment. I did teach myself how to make the appropriate drinks and work the machines and clean them on my own.
First time being a Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Free drinks, really nice coworkers and supervisors/managers
Cons: Nothing
- Wasnt really busy in this type of location
- but was still productive
- Introduction to the different types of blends, beans, flavours and
- Practiced to memorize how to make each drinks from blended drinks to lattes hot and cold.
- Earned passion with Second Cup's products
Worlds Best Manager
Keyholder, Senior Barista, Supervisor Trainee (Current Employee), Oakville, OntarioSeptember 18, 2015
Without a doubt, my manager at Second Cup made my experience the best for a first time corporate job. Although all of my time here was not easy and it could be stressful at times, I thoroughly enjoyed this job. I got an amazing chance to learn about leadership, managing, and all the man power it takes to run a business.
Fast paced and busy work environment
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee), EdmontonSeptember 10, 2015
Pros: Getting to know different people, work in a stressful environment with ease
Cons: Very demanding for the pay
The hardest part of the job is managing the cafe when we are understaffed and busy. We are regularly understaffed which means personally performing the required jobs of at least two to three people on a daily basis. The downtown location is dangerous, especially at night. The business is not closely monitored or managed by the owner, making it more stressful for those working. Regularly dealing with broken machines or not having the proper equipment has become the norm at this location. During the day however, it is a fun and great way to develop both important work skills as well as customer service skills.
productive surrounding workplace
Barista-Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 28, 2015
On a typical day you have more customer in the morning so it basically always busy in the morning time. what i learned throughout the experience working there is that you have to be very quick on your feet, always keep the customers happy at all times and make sure that my surrounding is kept clean at all times.my co-workers and i work well with each other and always give each other an helping hand when its needed.I don't really find any part of the job difficult because i was able to learn everything at a fast pace. The most enjoyable part of the job is pleasing the customer needs.
great workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2015
awesome! i loved working at second cup, it was such a friendly and supportive enviroment and my manager worked around my school schedule
Favourite First Job
Key holder/Barista (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Tips, new people, fun
Cons: evening and weekends
Fun and face-paced.
You learn a lot and meet new people all the time.
The owners typically know what they are doing and ensure structure in the store.
Great place to work and many people to talk to
Barista (Current Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Free drink and 50% discounts
Cons: Work alone some days
Great work environment which allows you to have fun and enjoy serving customers. Co-workers and management allow you to enjoy your time at work.
Fast paced environment based on strong teamwork.
BARISTA (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Building lasting relationships, learning efficiency, free trips.
Cons: The occasional day without breaks.
A typical day at work consists of many short interactions with a variety of people. Rushes would come rather spontaneously throughout the day and last for various periods of time. At designated times certain tasks were needed to be completed, and throughout the day various tasks needed to be taken care of as required. As an example of this, all merchandise needed to be stocked through out the day and coffee needed to be readily available. Our goal was to give customers a great experience, so that is what we strived to do through cleanliness, our service, and the products we had available.

While working at Second Cup I learned to be extremely organized and complete tasks efficiently and effectively. While making drinks for the guests I discovered the tool of self improvement and striving to be better through both learning new Latte art patterns and aiming to be as efficient as possible. Through being a barista I also learned to problem solve and adapt to fulfil the needs of a variety of customers, I learned to take criticism as a way to improve. At this workplace I truly learnt the benefits of having a team mindset as well as the benefits it brings the company, this was a must in order to function to the best of our abilities and bring the best experience to the customers.

At this workplace both the management and coworkers were wonderful. The management made clear the importance of teamwork, and advocated a family like feel in the workplace. Management also encouraged us to be our best, hours were extremely reasonable, expectations were realistic and attainable. – more...
The coworkers at second cup were just as amazing as the management. We worked together towards a common goal; a phenomenal experience for our fellow employees and the guests we served. Growth was encouraged within each other along with a positive attitude no matter the circumstance. Overall the workplace was a positive environment to be in.

Though surrounded by such an incredible environment, this job like any had hard parts to it. The hardest part of my career at second cup would have to be balancing my work and life. It was extremely difficult to say no to tasks that were given to me while I was off shift, and I would generally do anything possible to help the business run smoothly.

There were so many enjoyable parts to my position. When thinking of the one that stands out the most, I would have to say interacting with the customers and even building relationships with some of them. The best part of the job was making someone a latte, having the perfect latte art and seeing their eyes light up at the sight. In a tie with that I would say building the actual relationships would also bring a great deal of enjoyment. Though generally just a two- three minute conversation, learning about someone new and having them share with you is a wonderful experience. – less