Second Cup Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and a fun place to work with
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 12, 2016
I find this place enjoyable to work, because different type of nationalism is here. Being comfortable working with them.
Pros
Free Tea
Very challenging job
Manager/Owner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
my job was to hire staff and order products online and be behind the line to serve costumers.i learned to be fast in serving and deal with difficult costumers.My co workers are great because i hired them.the hardest part of the work was that i have to work long hours (7am-7pm).The most enjoyable part was talking regular to costumers and working with my staff.
Working at Second Cup
Training/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2016
Working at Second Cup is like no other coffee shop. I believe it provides a classic and warm environment. I have experienced my first tasks at Second Cup. I have learned how to serve coffee beverages, pastries, and serving customers for the first time. I cannot tell what was the most difficult part of the job, considering I received my training in full. It was not all too bad because I normally enjoy working at a coffee shop, and Second Cup was most definitely welcoming and warm to its customers.
Pros
Employee's discount
Cons
Shortage of work
Great place to work if you like it fast paced
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Prep for open bright and early at 6am. Lots to do in a short period of time and sometimes alone because some staff aren't punctual. It's your job to be accurate, quick and pleasant. Must be a multi-tasker. Can't be easily offended because some customers will get under your skin with their demands.
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
8-9 hrs on your feet with only a 30min break
fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Shediac, NBJune 13, 2016
Serve customers in drive thru as well as at the counter. I have learned to close the store, prep and fill displays along with nightly cleaning procedures,great employees.
Pros
25% off food, free beverages
Cons
some long shifts
Busy and lively workplace
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montreal-ouest, QCJune 13, 2016
This coffee shop is known in the neighborhood for its welcoming environment and friendly staff and our clientele is made up mostly of regulars, some of whom have been coming in to buy their coffee since the venue opened ten years ago. The role made use of my strong interpersonal skills and customer service experience as I was required to slip seamlessly into the team and create a rapport with clients, which included remembering regulars' drinks and names. A typical day at work could include opening and preparing the cafe for the day (laying out food, tables, terrace and making coffee, handling morning rush), closing the cafe and making sure all out-of-date food properly dispensed of, cashing-up for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is having my work commended by others (regular customers and staff) and serving others. My co-workers set a high standard and everyone is friendly. Management are flexible about shifts and care about the service they provide which makes it easy and enjoyable to work there.
Pros
Friendy management, staff and customers
Cons
Unreliability of regular shifts
Productive and Fun Environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 6, 2016
It's busy there because it is in the heart of the city, but I miss it non-the-less. You learn to make drinks, work in a fast pace environment, and deal with busy customers.
The management is relaxed and teaches you one-on-one which makes it easier to adapt. It's a great first job, too!
My co-workers were serious, mature, and knowledgeable. If you have trouble learning several perfected recipes and keeping up with the lunch crowd, you may have difficulties.
I have several favourite parts from this job. I learned all the delicious recipes, relaxed with my co-workers until another customer arrived, the welcoming manager, and the fresh environment.
Pros
free drinks at work, discounts after work, discounts at Davids Tea, and friend/family discounts
Cons
hard to get hours as a student
Somewhat scattered review
Supervisor & Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I have worked at 3 different Second Cups. It all depends on management whether or not your work experience is a good one. Generally a very pleasant experience. What perks you get and how much you get paid also depend on management. The owner of the one on in Laurentian Place is one of the better franchisees in Ottawa by far. I don't work there anymore but never seen a more hands on boss who knows her stuff.
Fast paced but fun work environment with much interactions with all kinds of people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 17, 2016
It is a fast paced work environment. Co-workers are all very kind and fun to work with. Interactions with customers keeps the job interesting and fun. Being able to learn something new about people everyday brings a new energy and curiosity to your work environment.
Fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 2, 2016
You meet amazing customers who really care about your day and the staff are amazing. The food and drinks are also a benefit to buy while on break.
Pros
Meeting amazing customers
Cons
Working alone
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The company has some minor issues but what company doesnt
l would go back and work for them again anytime.

Offers allot to there employees
Treat management with respect which is great
It was a nice experience.
Food Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 21, 2016
We had a great team. Everybody cooperates and helped one another. The management was fine and I admire my boss for being so kind and professional.
Pros
overall, i love the working environment
Cons
not enough benefits specially medical benefits
Fun workplace with enjoyable staff.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Some days were slower than others but it was always nice to get regular customers come in and knowing their order. Management and staff was easy to work with, everyone was laid back and efficient. The hardest part of the job was not buying all the pastries and eating them for myself.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Sometimes no customers for hours
A place to learn
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
Great company excellent management but I am not an office person. I wanted to start a career in a health care settings.
I enjoyed the company because I learned how government works with our taxes and the benefits that it brings to our lives
great job; horrible mangement
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 31, 2016
- great customers
- very stressful for a minimum wage job
- management makes everyone turn on you
- great if your desperate for a job
- I absolutely hated working at this job, management was incredibly rude
Pros
- free food
Cons
- Mangement is horrible
Overall Review Of My Employment At Second Cup
Barista/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMarch 29, 2016
Second Cup was one of my first jobs, I held it for two years while managing school. The environment was fun and upbeat, a very easy job to pick up. Free drinks and cookies are nice as well. :)
Pros
Employees, Customers, Free Beverages and Food
Not a good place to work.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSMarch 27, 2016
I took a job at a location in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. While working here for a short period of time I got a call for a far higher paying job and decided to accept the position. I communicated to management that I could no longer continue working for them as my new job started the following day. I was extremely busy working my new job and didn't get a chance to go in and pick up my paycheck from the second cup location so I assumed it would be sent out to the address I had provided. This was almost seven months ago and I have not received the pay. I have made several attempts to communicate with the management and they are nothing but rude and keep making excuses saying the check has been sent. I would not recommend working here unless you like to work for free.
-quick and fast paced work enviroment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
-my day consisted of long periods of barely any customers or long periods of non-stop customers
-always kept me on my toes
Fun to work
Food Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 17, 2016
Good management, Great team! I love to work during winter During winter season The store is packed.The customer are very generous and fun to serve.
A very fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Working at second cup was a great experience. I loved going into work everyday because the environment was amazing. The customers were always happy, and got to connect with them since most of them were regulars. The other employees were all very friendly and more than happy to help.
Over all working with second up (run under Corporation) was one of my best jobs.
Pros
Cons
There was none.