Second Cup Employee Reviews

Working there was ok
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2017
overall i loved working there. The job itself was not bad. I just wished the management was better. I love the people, they were nice and understanding. especially when it came to vacation, employment hours and school.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
worked alone for long hours
Chill place, terrible management
Barista/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Streetsville, ON8 August 2017
If you're a student just looking for some money this job is great, the location doesn't get very busy and it's a relaxing job. But the manager is so unorganized and uninvolved.
It was pretty chill
Barista/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2017
It was in the past, I don't really think of working here this much. The management was good the owners were also fantastic people who kept active in their employees lives in and outside of work
Pros
Got the hours I needed
Cons
Far from home
Loving and fun place
Barista (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB27 July 2017
It was a fun environment to work in. It was easy going most times, with the odd rush, but when there was a rush it kept you on your toes and it was exciting and kept you occupied.
Pros
free drink, great people
Cons
not enough business sometimes
Good environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2017
The other employers are very friendly and work hard to teach you as much as possible very clearly and can hopefully get started sooner knowing exactly what you're doing.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2017
Loved it there, loved the people there and it didnt feel like a job. it was great it was fun loved everything about it it was the best time of my life.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
not enough hours
Great Envronment
Trained and certified as barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2017
A lot of interaction with people on a regular basis. Customer services skills is an asset. Fun environment to work in though sometimes stressful. If you enjoy meeting new people, this is the job for you!
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
late shifts
Fun and Friendly environment and customers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2017
It really depends on the location because Second cups are franchises, but when you find a great cafe its obvious to everyone! The customers are happy, the staff have fun and the franchisee is present and interested in the business. At the location where I work there is never a dull day and people stay long term because its a great place to work and visit.
Pros
The best quality coffees are at second cup
Cons
low wages
Amazing work environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 June 2017
Out of all the jobs that I had, working at Second Cup was definitely the best experience of all. Although the management lacked on some parts, the process of serving and communicating with the customers really saved this coffee shop. Not the best management, but this coffee shop provides an amazing work environment and will be good for first-timers who are looking for a customer service based job.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Slow customer traffic
Good place for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2017
A good place to work while going to school. It offers flexible hours and a fun job. Minimum wage pay and not a lot of room for advancement from there.
Safe and clean workplace, wonderful staff and thriving business
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2017
Making specialty drinks on the espresso machine, making syrups and following recipe guides. Keeping the workplace tidy.
Learned: espresso machine, time management and health benefits of coffee itself. The managers/supervisors were always helpful and wonderful. When you're new, they make training really easygoing. Hardest part of the job is probably dealing with picky/rude customers. Best part of the job is the regulars that come back just to see you!
Pros
Free drinks, friendships and alot of learning
Cons
Breaks can be cut short if its busy
Easy place to work with a fun staff
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2017
Great place to work in while you're in school. Manager is very sweet and accommodating. The staff is great, everyone here is nice and easy going. Its a pretty easy job too.
Pros
nice staff, free drinks while on shift
Cons
You stay by yourself if your closing
always an interesting day working for Second Cup
Café manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2017
Early mornings
how to deal with irate customers
management needs some more training
no communication between operations and managers
no job security
customer and the café team work
Pros
customers
Cons
no room for growth in the company
Great learning experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2017
Working at Second Cup taught me how to work in a fast pace environment under pressure along with utilize skills like memory and communication with customers.
Kept me motivated and inspired to provide excellent customer service
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
I learned how to multi task and work productively with a team of peers. Learned beneficial working habits and proper time management skills. Built trust within my managing staff which allowed me to work at my pace.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Stressful, but fun making the drinks
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
Evenings are easy going, unlike mornings. At the location where I work we have a drive through and the orders are taken by memorization which makes it very stressful if you do not have a super good memory and can work under pressure. While taking orders you want to make sure you write it on the cup so you don't forget. Second Cup is franchised, and so we don't have any managers besides the family who own it. I really do enjoy making the drinks, but it is stressful because there are only 2 people working during the day, so that sometimes when it is busy during the day, it is hard taking all the orders from the drive through and the orders from the inside while making all the drinks with only 2 people. So besides the heavy rushes, it is a nice environment. I enjoy the quietness of the conversations customers have while sipping the coffee you just made for them, it's relaxing.
Very fun and calm environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 May 2017
it was very calm and not very stressful. My co-workers were diverse and open as we became friends. I learned I had to pay close a attention to the consumers wants and preferences.How fun and relaxing it was
Productive and fun work place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
A typical day at Second Cup was pretty busy with only the lunch hour and closing hour was it ever quite. I learned how to deal with customers when they are upset about a drink or one of our products. The manager at the Second Cup i worked could learn a little more about his employees and be a little more understanding to some of the staffs situations. The hardest part about my job was making sure i kept up the pace because we could have a line up of 20 people and need to get all their drinks done within 5mins. The most enjoyable part about my job was talking with the customers and having great conversations with the regulars, as well as hanging out with my co-workers.
great job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2017
great working culture
good salary for a student
good management
make a lot of friends
a lot of time flexibility
people from all over the world!!!!
it is not tired work there
Each store is different
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2017
I believe that because they are individually owned and operated by franchise owners, they are all different and the corporation should be doing more to manage and ensure all second cup businesses are operating under policy.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad management