Second Cup

Second Cup Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I enjoy the customers, but not the management
Barista (Current Employee), Portland Street, DartmouthFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: laid back atmosphere, and amazing customers
Cons: lack of hours
This is a very fast paced job, which I do enjoy for the most part.

My co-workers are a tight knit group which I feel like I belong; however the management is less than stellar.

There isn't anything difficult about this job, and as mentioned I do enjoy it quite a bit.
Typical Franchise
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton (South Common)February 18, 2015
Pros: it was close to my house, flexible schedule
Cons: minimum wage with no raises, no recording of inventory, no official suppliers, no consistency, no training, no raises, food expired due to poor organization, illegal/unethical business practices
The quality of this job is highly dependent on your manager, just like any franchise.

No benefits were provided. Minimum wage was all that was offered, and after 7 months of hard work I was never offered a raise. I am an extremely hard worker, but Second Cup is in a lot of debt. They can't afford to provide health and dental or give raises.

Advancement doesn't exist. At my Second Cup, there were two positions: baristas or the owner. There was nothing to amount to. No manager, assistant manager, or shift supervisor. You were always at the bottom.

My manager admitted she bought a Second Cup because she wanted to make money off of other peoples hard work.

At that point, I knew everything about this company was doomed. Anyone can buy one. Even if they have absolutely no business or food industry background. If you fail an inspection, you pay a fee. That's all.

The only good thing that came from working here, was meeting some great people and being able to build my own schedule. Literally, the entire staff made their own schedules because the manager couldn't. It was pathetic, but also helpful.

All in all, don't work for a Second Cup. Yes, they're Canadian. But because it's franchised, there's absolutely no consistency in this business, and it's in mass amount of debt. Things aren't looking up any time soon.

I have worked at a Starbucks previously, and although at the time I felt like it was slave labour, they are actually quite a fair employer. If you are interested in the barista business at all, I highly encourage either a local cafe or a Starbucks. Somewhere with ethics.
fun fast paced work environment
Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 13, 2015
deal with many customers per day
memorize a wide variety of drinks and procedures
current manager is lenient and tries to accommodate everyone with scheduling
all employees are nice and easy to work with
it is hard to find strong capable people for the job, people thinks its just a coffee shop, very easy to work at but it is a very demanding focus oriented job
i enjoy that the days go by quickly, there is always something to do, its not a lazy job
Was a good job at the time
BARISTA (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: not enough staff
Time spent working at Second Cup consisted of making and pouring coffee, lattes, cold drinks, etc. I enjoyed being a manager, and doing paper work and creating schedules. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be my fellow employees.
Second cup
Barista (Former Employee), Ottawa onFebruary 10, 2015
I have obtained valuable skills through working for this company. Since the company is franchised and each owner is inexperienced and likes to cut corners for standards it becomes difficult to know what the expectations are
Fun working environment.
MANAGER (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2015
Always something to learn and fun working place. Good salary, benefits. Interact with new customer everyday and explain new promotion. Multi-tasking and enjoy working in a team.
Great customers but a failing company
Barista/Assistant Manager (Current Employee), TorontoJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great customers
Cons: no benefits for the workers
I opened the shop 5 days out of the week at 630 a.m. and was finished at 2 p.m.. I grinded, weighed and made coffee all day while perfecting my latte art. The basic coffee shop job was great! I really enjoyed working as a barista and seeing my regulars everyday. Making coffee was fun. The company however does not provide any services for its employees. There are no benefits and the only discounts you will receive are on food during your break (50%) and on items in your own caffe (20%). If you were to journey to another caffe you would not receive these discounts. Employees were often left without a chance of getting a raise even though they had worked with the company for years. My co-workers were great fun and we worked very hard. The best part of the job was making coffee for people especially when it made their day.
Fast paced work demanding superb customer service and quality product
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great culture
Cons: little to no room for advancement
This job required my attention even when not at work. In a fast-paced cafe environment it's absolutely necessary to maintain a high level of quality and client care to be successful in your cause.

My responsibilities ranged from coaching and mentoring new and old staff alike to ordering and monitoring inventory to maintain and further advance product distribution to upholding the highest level of customer service and client care to make guest feel welcomed and want to come back.

Profit making was a task I was charged with that I excelled in. Gathering and analyzing weekly/monthly/yearly sales and profit charts in order to increase the next terms profitability was something I thoroughly enjoyed.
Food services aren't for me.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), North YorkJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: 50% employee discount on food
Cons: very fast paced.
Definitely a challenge working at a hospital where there is almost no slow periods. I loved the experience but food service is not something I would like to do, instead retail would be my ideal.
Decent job and productive.
Barista (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJanuary 4, 2015
I loved Second Cup. Hours weren't there and management was okay but there's room for improvements.
Great team to work with
Barista/Customer Service/Cashier (part-time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2015
I enjoy working with my co-workers and serving clients. I act as a front line customer server where I deliver warm and friendly environment experience to the customers.
Barista at a busy coffee shop in the heart of Orleans
Barista (Former Employee), Ottawa ONDecember 19, 2014
Pros: tips and making lattes
Cons: poor management
Serving customers, cleaning, and making lattes with love.

I learned how to make awesome latte art!

The management was poor.

My co-workers were very gossipy.

The hardest part of the job was picking up after everyone's slack and dealing with moody customers. Always kill them with kindness!

The most enjoyable part of the job? Free coffee and making lattes!
bad
Barista (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: managers are rude
managers are rude, work is fair but the managers are too picky about everything. The owner is very rude.
Everyday was a new day
Supervisor (Current Employee), edmontonNovember 24, 2014
Pros: free wifi
Cons: no discount
Everyday was a new day.Hospitality or food industry the best part is you meet a lot of new people at work.The things that i have learned in the absence of my Manager,are like an asset for me.working with people from different nationality is also a plus point
Great company but management at specific branch not good.
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto King WestNovember 21, 2014
Pros: one free beverage a day
Cons: left alone a lot.
The second cup location I worked at was not a very busy one. It was only open 5 days a week 12 hours each. The over all second cup company is great but the management at my branch was not good at all. They would pry into employees business without any right to. There was not enough staff to fill if one employee was ill. A typical day of work would consist of me handling customers orders for an hour or two then clean the store before 6pm where I would close. If I did not finish cleaning by 6 I would have to stay and not get paid extra for cleaning and closing the store. Other Second Cup branches did have up to an hour after closing for cleaning.

Over all the customers are great and the co-workers were great for the most part. Some just did not belong in the service industry, they never learned how to properly handle orders.

The best part of the job was the customers. They made any day worth working.
second cup
cashier, and barista (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 10, 2014
Great job, and amazing experience! I enjoyed getting to know the customers, making amazing drinks, and working with a great staff!
Able to have fun while working with and for great people
Barista (Current Employee), St. Albert, ABOctober 27, 2014
Second Cup is a fast paced coffee shop with lots of interesting characters coming in and out on a daily basis. There's always something to do to keep busy whether it is serving customers, making drinks or stocking shelves.
Enjoyable place to work. Friendly atmosphere and great staff
Barista and sales associate (Current Employee), Tecumseh, ONSeptember 25, 2014
I enjoy working at Second Cup as the staff is friendly, the customers are great, and the company is very fair. I am able to balance my personal schedule, schooling, and work while still getting enough hours and experience to add to my skills.
Productive and Fun work place.
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 21, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: long hours
Making different kinds of coffee,cashier,cleaning,mopping,dusting,
Fun, people you work with are mostly nice, relax work place
Cashier/Food Counter Attendant/Key holder (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2014
Pros: free drinks while working
Cons: no competitive salary
Main job is helping customers and giving them satisfaction for what they drink and what they eat.

You will learn how to work or manage multi-taking and fast-paced.
Also, you will learn how to be able to work independantly and sponteneously. Also, because it is a busy place, you also learn how to manage stress and how to smile nicely even if you are stressed out or you have problems.

Most of co-workers are nice but some are lazy and do not have work ethics as most of co-wokers are very young(teen~early 20's). So, somethimes, it makes other people get stressful since they need to work more to get things done. Because it is operated by owner/ franchise, a salary is not good enough for living. A cup of coffee is usually around $3~$6 which means the sales volume is not high and there is a royalty to pay for so, most of emplyoers pay usually minium wage.

However, you can meet and interact with new people as well as regular customers. Also, you can have very flexible shifts. It is a perfect job for students or someone who wants part-time for extra money. Moreover, you will have employee discounts and free drinks while wokrking. Overall, It is a nice place to work.

1 2 3 4