Second Cup Employee Reviews

Did not even want to go back after first day of training
Barista (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2017
The owners were horrible, did not treat staff appropriately. Often made rude comments about new hires. Did not feel comfortable going in for the second day of training because of how rude the owners were.
Cons
Owners
Job lost by poorly run company
Key Holder / Barista (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2017
This place was amazing while it lasted. The customers were friendly, and the staff was more like a family than a bunch of employees.
But with corporate only caring about money, the well being of you as an employee is blatently ignored. The discounts were substantially reduced, the upper management was constantly changing, and there was NO chance for any type of benefit from the company.
The company wreaks of a slow disintegration, in which they only care about what they can get out of it before the company itself goes down.
Pros
The customers and fellow employees
Cons
Mistreatment by corporate, Sketchy business ethics, secretive about changes to staff and company.
Worst company to work for
Order taking and cash handling (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2017
Never seen such a mismanaged company. Management has no clue to what to do. Management changes every 9-10 months. So dishonest. Just want to make money forthemselves.
Pros
Cons
So Many
Fun Warm work place, very friendly staff
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 April 2017
management is great and so are the employees. Great atmosphere, a very healthy and friendly environment to work in. Everyday is pretty easy and straight forward,, not a high stress job.
Pros
free drink for employees
Cons
3 different locations you have to travel to
Long hours with little benefits and min.wage
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
The store I am working at is poorly managed, under staffed and poorly stocked. You learn to adapt quickly in a fast paced environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the many corners the owner/manager cuts, The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing people you work with and most if not all the regulars are the nicest people around.
Pros
Paid breaks, awesome co-workers, friendly regulars
Cons
Few if any breaks, employee discount only applies to your store
productive and fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2017
job security is so good. having fun is number one while working. management is nice and welcoming including the employees and hospital employees. good company.
Pros
free drink
Productive and Stressful
Corporate Manager (Former Employee) –  Second Cup Oakville/Burlington/Stoney Creek4 April 2017
Second cup wouldn't be second cup without their guests. The different type of people coming in and out of the store that you get too serve make your day worth working at second cup. At points it can be stressful trying to balance out all the store duties. I believe the hardest part of the job as a manager was trying to get all the paperwork done - while still trying to work behind the counter!
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Fun work environment but often understaffed and mismanaged
Barista & Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 April 2017
I loved all the friends I made at Second Cup and I loved meeting regulars and being a bright spot in everyone's day. The work was fast-paced and there's was always something to do so time went by quite quickly. I worked for three different owners and across the board they cared little for employees and gave almost no training to new employees. Assistant managers were much more involved but rare and underpaid. The hardest part of the job was doing with one or two people what four people should be doing. The best part was all the new people I got to meet and that my skill at the job made it easy and fun.
good job
Sales Associate/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 April 2017
worked for 5 years, mostly during my college years and a little bit after.
fun place to work, got to meet lots of nice people, customers and coworkers
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no room to move up
Bulit good relationship with customers
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2017
High punctuality and commitment
Creating good environment for customers.
Good communication skill with owner and customers.
Built strong relationship with co-workers.
Reliable.
Great workplace and great staff.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2017
It's fast paced which helps the shift go by a lot faster, theres lots of cleaning and preparing drinks/food to deal with. I learned the basics of working in a fast paced enviroment and it's helped me a lot and I can handle it and am no longer afraid since I've gotten used to it. My manager and staff are all great people to work with.
Pros
Free food/drink items.
Cons
Hours got cut.
Fun job working in my neigbourhood
Barista/ Opener/ Key holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
I enjoyed working for this franchisee. Got a taste of the coffee world and met some amazing people. I have continued a relationship with the owners and appreciate all I had been taught
Safe working environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 February 2017
A typical day at work consists of helping customers out with beans, taking orders and making drinks. As a learning experience so far i have learned that organization and routine work is key to a well worked shift, and experience for the customers. Management prioritizes the safety and proper training of the employee. The hardest part of the job is getting the hang of making the drinks, such as steaming the milk, pulling the shots, and remembering the key ingredients of each latte. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers and giving them a pleasant experience each and every time they step in the cafe.
Great workplace.
Key holder and Barista (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 January 2017
Second Cup is a great, easy going job to have while you're in school. You learned customer service skills, leadership, initiative, and managerial skills.
Pros
Flexible hours, sometimes free lunches
Cons
Malls are busy
Fun workplace while serving regulars daily.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Opening the store and setting up the coffee and food for opening was fine, early work hours but got off early which is good as well. Doing inventory weekly for ordering, and closing till after shift and balancing money. supervising other staff to help keep the day to day simple and easy and efficient.
Pros
Free coffee while you work
Cons
Picky customers
Fun and flexible place to work for students
Supervisor/Head Barista (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 January 2017
I enjoyed most of my time here. The staff and old management were very gracious and helpful when I first moved to Toronto.

Scheduling was fair and easy to work with. In general, if I needed shifts,I got them.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
No benefits
Very poor support from Second Cup Head Office
Owner (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 January 2017
Working at Cafe is like work with family, customers who comes on daily basis are part of your family. Quality of drinks are excellent,
Pros
25% discount by owner
Cons
shifts
Fast paced
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 January 2017
This job was not the right fit for me. I did not enjoy dealing with food and drinks. There was always a constant rush to make drink and deal with difficult people. It is where I learned to deal with all different types of individuals.
Perfect Entry Level Job
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 January 2017
Easy and light duties for those who want a part time and student job. Free brewed coffee and tea drinks, So much fun to learn on how different kinds of coffee blends differ from one another.
Pros
Easy kind of job, not busy at all times, huge employee discounts
Cons
Not enough supplies especially those most important ones like cups, lids, straws and syrups
Not Recommended in the Slightest
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 January 2017
I'm not sure if this goes for all locations but I would never return to the location I worked at. There were plenty of issues with management, supplies, payment and in multiple cases issues with customers. Co-workers were at least sentimental to each other's problems since they were feeling the same way but Management was for lack of a better word, abysmal.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Terrible Management and issues galore

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Second Cup. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9