Second Cup

Second Cup Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company but management at specific branch not good.
Barista (Former Employee), Toronto King WestNovember 21, 2014
Pros: one free beverage a day
Cons: left alone a lot.
The second cup location I worked at was not a very busy one. It was only open 5 days a week 12 hours each. The over all second cup company is great but the management at my branch was not good at all. They would pry into employees business without any right to. There was not enough staff to fill if one employee was ill. A typical day of work would consist – more... of me handling customers orders for an hour or two then clean the store before 6pm where I would close. If I did not finish cleaning by 6 I would have to stay and not get paid extra for cleaning and closing the store. Other Second Cup branches did have up to an hour after closing for cleaning.

Over all the customers are great and the co-workers were great for the most part. Some just did not belong in the service industry, they never learned how to properly handle orders.

The best part of the job was the customers. They made any day worth working. – less
second cup
cashier, and barista (Former Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 10, 2014
Great job, and amazing experience! I enjoyed getting to know the customers, making amazing drinks, and working with a great staff!
Able to have fun while working with and for great people
Barista (Current Employee), St. Albert, ABOctober 27, 2014
Second Cup is a fast paced coffee shop with lots of interesting characters coming in and out on a daily basis. There's always something to do to keep busy whether it is serving customers, making drinks or stocking shelves.
Enjoyable place to work. Friendly atmosphere and great staff
Barista and sales associate (Current Employee), Tecumseh, ONSeptember 25, 2014
I enjoy working at Second Cup as the staff is friendly, the customers are great, and the company is very fair. I am able to balance my personal schedule, schooling, and work while still getting enough hours and experience to add to my skills.
Productive and Fun work place.
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 21, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: long hours
Making different kinds of coffee,cashier,cleaning,mopping,dusting,
Fun, people you work with are mostly nice, relax work place
Cashier/Food Counter Attendant/Key holder (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2014
Pros: free drinks while working
Cons: no competitive salary
Main job is helping customers and giving them satisfaction for what they drink and what they eat.

You will learn how to work or manage multi-taking and fast-paced.
Also, you will learn how to be able to work independantly and sponteneously. Also, because it is a busy place, you also learn how to manage stress and how to smile nicely even if you are – more... stressed out or you have problems.

Most of co-workers are nice but some are lazy and do not have work ethics as most of co-wokers are very young(teen~early 20's). So, somethimes, it makes other people get stressful since they need to work more to get things done. Because it is operated by owner/ franchise, a salary is not good enough for living. A cup of coffee is usually around $3~$6 which means the sales volume is not high and there is a royalty to pay for so, most of emplyoers pay usually minium wage.

However, you can meet and interact with new people as well as regular customers. Also, you can have very flexible shifts. It is a perfect job for students or someone who wants part-time for extra money. Moreover, you will have employee discounts and free drinks while wokrking. Overall, It is a nice place to work. – less
Enjoyable job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: low wage
Met a lot of great people and felt like clients enjoyed seeing me and joking with me. I learnt a lot about customer service. Loved meeting new people
Ordinary day at work
Team Member (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2014
Just an ordinary day at work. Management made some changes at store regarding the staffs and manager work relationship, which is good. Boredom kills me at work! I am a person who wants to do something, i don't want to just stand and wait for someone to come in. I want to be busy always.
Fun, relaxed coffee job
Barista (Former Employee), EdmontonJuly 5, 2014
Pros: free drinks, flexible hours, friendly staff and regular customers
Cons: low wage, no benefits
I worked at Second Cup for a few years while I was in university. It was a fun and relaxed place to work. Coworkers were awesome and it was great to get to know the regular customers who came in on a daily basis. It was fun being a barista and pretty easy work. Manager was decent and laid back, although this might vary depending on the particular franchise. – more... Pay is minimum wage although you get tips, but no benefits or perks apart from discounted drinks. Not really a career type job, there's nowhere to advance to unless you want a management position but that still pays nearly nothing. Awesome job though if you're a student or just looking for casual work. – less
A very positive culture, lots of changes happening
Category Manager - Marketing, Beverages Category (Former Employee), MississaugaJuly 4, 2014
Good company, positive culture, a reorg just happened so a bit unstable
Awesome Coworkers
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 3, 2014
Pros: free lattes!
Cons: being mistaken for starbucks
Interacting with customers, the coffee, my co workers, the overall job itself contributed in me really enjoying working here. Honestly I didn't have any trouble and whenever a problem did come up it was handled right away.
The hardest part was leaving and not being able to see the regular customers everyday and having those little conversations.
Barista
Barista (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 25, 2014
- Managed cash register
- Ensured customer satisfaction
- Made sure everything was restocked
Fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 20, 2014
Pros: nice environment
Cons: long hours
Very interactive place to work. Fun and requires a lot of energy. Team work is a most.
Fun Place to Work and Learn.
Cashier/Burista (Former Employee), HamiltonJune 4, 2014
Pros: interesting people
Cons: few hours
Great place to practice cash handeling procedures. Met lots of new people as customers and coworkers, lots of experience in customer service.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate & Barista (Former Employee), Westmount, QCMay 23, 2014
Pros: free beverages
Cons: stressful, rush
I learned a lot during my almost two years experience in Second Cup. I was able to successfully manage my time, be more responsible about any personal and professional tasks and i became more independent. The hardest part of the job were the rush hours, when there was a line of clients trying to make an order and I had to get it and make their drinks – more... and prepare the food. It was truly a great and rewarding experience. – less
A good job for introduction into the service industry
Barista (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 13, 2014
I worked at Second Cup during my last year of high school. It was an interesting experience- We served a very wide customer base, and my coworkers varied in age and background as well. Long story short- It was never boring!
Clean workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 10, 2014
I always work in the mornings there so we are always busy because of people heading for the office.
Friendly work environment serving lattes and coffee.
Barista (Current Employee), Rutherford Marketplace, Maple, ONApril 7, 2014
Pros: easy going managment, flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons: not enough hours, closing shift work load
The things that I would tend to is everything behind the counter, such as the following; customer service, product stock, cleaning and maintenance, and cash management. The management of the establishment is more than a delight; they respected me, if not more, as I did them. The most challenging part about this position is the amount of work that needs – more... to be done during the closing shift. As you do work there on your own, the work maybe overwhelming and strenuous. I value my coworkers as if they are my family and they are the most enjoyable part of my job as a barista at Second cup. – less
Fast paced and friendly work place
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2014
A typical work day would include greeting and serving customers, making beverages, cleaning tables and handling cash flow,
I have learned how to deal with customers who may not be satisfied with there product, and how to maintain high energy in a fast paced environment.
positive environment with teamwork emphasis
Manager, Barista (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONMarch 12, 2014
interactions with satisfied customers makes my day more enjoyable. Working efficiently in a team setting to complete tasks. Gained great customer service skills as well as working under pressure efficiently.

1 2 3 4