Seaspan Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
I loved working at the shipyard
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 February 2016
The shipyard has me torn, as it has been where I have had some of the most fulfilling and challenging job experiences in my life. It kind of feels like I’m doing my part for Canada. I have never loved a job as much and never made so much money at a job. Alas, I felt I was not going in the direction that I wanted to work towards. I love the people I work with and most of them became close friends. The management was very distant and secretive. The hardest part of my job may have been going in some dark deep spot on the ship working my way in there and doing some seemingly impossible task and getting it done anyway. The noise levels are through the roof and safety is on high alert or you get hurt very easily. The most enjoyable part of my job was experiencing things I have never done before or seen and successfully accomplishing my goals and contracts and of course working my good bud and crew mate.
Pros
High wages
Cons
Systemic probems with yard politics
Onboard ships life is very challengeable.
Marine Engineer, 3rd Engineer (Current Employee) –  On board28 August 2013
On board ships day work is always hard for engineers. You have your team with highly qualified chief engineers and second engineers who are really supportive for your day work and you have your supporters for get your work done with there support. But we are the people who make decisions on machinery, and do all the work by using our hands. what we have is on hand experience of all types of marine machinery. do the work in high temperature environment and high noise environment with multinational crew is really challengeable.
I learned how to work as team and all me basic engineering knowledge from ships. There I got my career foundation.
Management Is good but always every where you got some tiny misunderstands. all can manage well.
My co workers are really helpful and well supportive.
Physically you have to do the job in high temperature, noisy environment.
the most enjoyable ....... :) where ever you do some trouble shoot, repair any damage machinery under all hard environment and enjoy when you put those machinery in to operation and get the output from them.
" all machinery made by human, so , same can maintain my human"
this is the place where I stand always. :)
Victoria Shipyards
Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 February 2013
I really enjoyed working for this company, i learned a lot of new skills such as cutting different kinds of steel with a torch, i learned how to zip cut and/or grind even aluminum with a grinder. I became very knowledgeable with safety and fire hazards. I feel due to my experience with Seaspan i have better attention to detail and knowledge of the general steel frabrication trade. I enjoyed the people i worked with and management was always very motivating and helpful.
Pros
everyone was very friendly
Cons
expensive food at the dine in
good workplace always kept busy
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 January 2013
Great company, with good working enviroment. Always have a personal daily task to complete, which kept workers on task. A typical day at the shipyards would be going through security and clocking in, Then to the labouer shack to get equipment on. Before working hours 7:25 every morning make sure that we were equiped with all the tools necissary for our daily tasks. daily routines would be tooling, heavy lifting, cleaning, helping tradesmen with tasks. Hardest part of the job was often tooling in very tight areas where ur body could barly get into. Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and working on the water.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
shortage of work in winters