Seaspan ULC Employee Reviews

Can be fun if you're into that sort of thing
Past Employee-Trades (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 June 2017
For a proper grounding in Vic Ship one should see the Wiki page on Peter Principle. It explains everything! A new candidate going in with this foundation, should have a good chance of success.
If you're from the outside, and have trade qualifications don't expect a career. Many have, and many were mistaken. Do expect your coworkers to gossip behind your back, and try to sell you out in an effort to retain their own jobs. Ever had a coworker lie about you to management? Good luck shaking that once its been said. Nothing is off the table. Eat or be eaten. Whatever you do, don't get a job at Vic Ship and then buy a house. This is a big no no, and a huge source of stress. If you do get a job there don't think you've made it, cause, well... you haven't. That is of course unless you're related to someone in management, in which case you wouldn't be reading this anyway.
Good Luck!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rotten culture
Terrible management
Welding apprentice (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 April 2017
The management of the welding department should all be fired from the superintendent to the head charge hand, especially the head chargehand. I did my apprenticeship at Vic ship and he went out of his way to try and ruin my life and actually ended up making me lose my apprenticeship. The whole company is garbage and management does not care about the workers or safety...if you get hurt they will look for any reason to make it your fault and if they can't find one they will get their company doctor to force you back to work.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Garbage management
Great learning, broad exposure, awesome work culture
Control Account Manager (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC22 March 2017
Working at seaspan was a great honour and extremely fruitful. I am glad to have received the opportunity to explore areas of management and engineering. Managing people and expectations was the key in my personal growth. Each day was a challenge and I am thankful that I was given the freedom to take decisions independently. The trust and encouragement at my work place drove my performance to higher limits.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Not too many young people
Terrible management at Victoria Shipyards
Assistant Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 January 2017
Worked in Commissioning on subs. Terrible managers. Seaspans website lists safety all over the place, but if you raise a safety concern, they will lay you off.
Everyone is afraid to speak up against the managers and continue to do work unsafely. Watched managers fire numerous people for trying to work safely.
Pros
good money
Cons
managers fire over slightest safety concern without investigating.
Best Company to work for
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 July 2016
This company is growing by leaps and bounds yet the management remains engaged and progressive. They are respectful of people's strengths and do their very best to help everyone move forward. I can't say enough about Seaspan.
Pros
Excellent Managemrnt
Cons
Parking is a bit of an issue
Commissioning Group
Commissioning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 July 2016
Incredibly poor management. They replace all the canadians with brits.
No leadership. Management are politicians who will say anything and fire anyone so they look good.
No organization.
Pros
interesting project
Cons
horrible management. repressed culture.
Good Environment
Accuracy Control Intern (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC9 May 2016
Overall Seaspan is a great Company to work for.
Good environment and great employers.
Started the project of building 8 vessels therefore it's new to everyone. Lots of learning.
Great co-workers, challenging place to be a middle manager
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC19 February 2016
During my time working at Seaspan the company had gone through a lot of change, 3 CEO's and a lot of senior management changes. All of my peers had left the company within my last year, for various reasons.

Significant challenges existed in the labour environment, particularly on the boats. The market had a new entrant which created commercial challenges. These challenges created significant pressures at a corporate level, which were felt throughout the company.

Within the distinct business units there are a lot of great people, and I greatly enjoyed working with them all. The majority of the line supervision and management had risen through the ranks, leading to an incredible amount of institutional knowledge and credibility.

Your co-workers and reports will go the extra mile for you, and there can be a real team environment within the divisions and business units.
Busy environment international community
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 October 2015
Great people and opportunity if you fit senior corporate profile if you don't then they cut you at the first opportunity and replace you with non-Canadian import.
Pros
Project management generous with rewards
Cons
No support from corporate departments for projects
PROCUREMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2015
Manpower updates - meeting minutes; mail; tracking expenses; payroll input.

Head First - do not act afraid

Great Management - team players

Co-workers - supportive and cooperative

Not enough time in the day to complete projects

People
Pros
People and Customers
Cons
Lack of time
Great place to work! Would return in a heart beat.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada14 November 2012
- Every day is a different day, which makes it fun and challenging
- Great management and executive team
- Got to work with very knowledgeable colleagues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seaspan ULC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3