Sears

11.6K reviews

Sears Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work place with supportive team
Customer Service (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 9, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job "customers" each and everyone had a funny story to tell. We as a team were like family. I've learned trust from my co-workers.
What i learned
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Danville, QCOctober 9, 2015
Pros: great management team, taught the complete selling process
Cons: very numbers oriented, metrics were more important than the customers
I started out in the lawn & Garden/tools department where i learned how to start the selling process and how to upsell and also sell from the top down. I learned many of the basic retail sales skills in this department. I had a successful few months and transferred to the electronics department which also assisted in the sales of the appliances and vacuums. There i learned much more and many advanced techniques in the sales process because i went to full commission. I had about 3 more successful months being the top seller in both departments and was offered a management position and gratefully accepted. While in the management i learned many of the behind the scenes processes such as inventory management and process along with personnel training in the workplace and scheduling around many employees schedules. The culmination of all of the skills that i learned earned me the assistant store managers position.
Nice friendly environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 8, 2015
Very friendly and supportive environment with very reasonable expectations from associates. The best part of work is serving customers, to greet them, to welcome to the store, to tell them about new sales and promotions, to understand their needs, to learn about reason they came to the store, to help them to choose right product using the product knowledge and personal taste. It is privilage for me to work with such a nice team and learn from them.
Multicultural environment
Agente de télémarketing (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 5, 2015
Enjoyed being surrounded by people from different backgrounds and different countries. The working hours was the best thing in the job, allowed me to make the balance between work and family.
Really enjoyed my time at Sears Commercial
Associate Vice-President, Commercial & Incentives (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2015
Although the company itself was going through some challenges, we were seeing great success within the B2B division of the company.
Safe and mutli cultural environment
Senior Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Gatineau, QCOctober 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedules
I was overall satisfied with the work place. It provided me benefits and to my kids as well. It has a safe work environment.
Buyers Associate (Former Employee), 100 young streetSeptember 25, 2015
Working at Sears was a great place to gain experience in the retail environment. A lot of young professionals there. It was a great place to learn from people who have been in the industry for many years swell.
good start
receptionist (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: free trips
Cons: minimum hours
good learning experience.started my carrier with this job.i learned in handling cash,paying salaries to employ,maintain attendance register.making important calls,connecting calls.ext
Good experience
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: It closed down
It was a good way to build up my customer interaction to help serve others successful. I liked to learn about the products and merchandising. I was able to expand my knowledge on a whole perspective and grow radiantly.
not busy enough
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABSeptember 22, 2015
I was not in a busy enough state with constant work. I do not like a job with nothing to do but stand. Sears was not the job for me. I enjoy a job that challenges me to work hard.
Great place to work for
Bilingual Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2015
Pros: great environment
I had the wonderful chance to interact with great colleagues .
What I most enjoyed about this company was when I had to deal with employees that have just been laid-off and got their severance packages and was able to help them understand the next steps they had to take in order to get their severance money ; I was doing follow-up calls with them, showing how much I cared for them at a human level
fun and interesting
Sales Team Leader Team Lead (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 17, 2015
Sears had an amazing training program for the management team.
Many methods are tried and true, I use on a everyday basis
productive work in till and in floor
Customer Service Desk Associate (Current Employee), winnipeg, mbSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: enough time for breaks
Cons: short time schedules
I never had a dull moment working , colleagues, customers are great. there are moments that you have to deal with difficult customers, i always keep my self calm and relax to avoid arguments. proper communication and patience it is a very effective way for me. i love working in a fast paced environment.
Agood part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Gained experience
Cons: would not allow time off for exams
Gained customer service experience, cash register and computer skills, learned about merchandising. I gained skills and friendship with staff members and customers. Was a very fast paced environment at times
|Good store management, fun to work with everyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: good discounts
Cons: not helpful with training
Was a nice place to work because the employees and management was very nice and helpful. Good employee discounts. Stock in store was very good.
feels insecure
sales manager (Current Employee), vancouver,bcSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Great people who try hard. Lots of experienced staff who really care whether the company survives
Cons: Not a lot of recognition for all the great things people do
It's all about credit card acquisition. We have been given the impression that the company will not survive unless we meet card acquisition goals. Staff are all fearful that they will be let go if they do not achieve card acquisition targets and managers are having to put staff on formal performance improvement programs if they are below standard. District office creates culture of fear and intimidation-you're always feeling like you have to look over your shoulder. This is not leadership
Catalogue Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Good people contact; I enjoyed serving customers
Cons: Minimum wage (raises were minimal) and working weekends most of the time.
My typical day at work at Sears was scanning incoming parcels/merchandise for customer pick-up. Also doing the morning report (daily sales) and opening the tills. Preparing the counter for display, etc. Serving customers and helping them purchase items from catalogue and on-line. Performing cash/debit transactions with customers and credit card purchases and returns. Answering switchboard and telephone inquiries from outside customers and other Sears stores. Internal calls from staff and taking deposits for night deposit and preparing store for closing. Closing till and preparing to close the counter at store closing. Closing till and taking all deposits for the night deposit.
great hours and great people to work with
Material Handler (Former Employee), 1050 broad st reginaSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Great start and finish times and great people to work with
Cons: not enough hours during slow times of the year. The building was shut down.
Sears was a Monday to Friday job working 6:30 am to 2:30 pm . I loved those hours. Sears was flexible with hours if you needed time off. The people were great to work with. The Sears warehouse was then shut down and moved to Calgary . We were like a family there. Alot of us worked together for many years and it was sad to leave everyone.
learned a great deal of dept store business aquinem
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), KITCHENER,ONTSeptember 7, 2015
Pros: GREAT TEAM ATMOSPHERE
Cons: MICRO MANAGING
i gained a lot of business sense from sears operating a variety of different businesses under one roof.IT TAUGHT ME PEOPLE RELATIONS WITHIN A MEGA STORE FORMAT.
Lots of opportunity, work and compensation
Vice President Finance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Lots to learn in this work environment.

Lots of opportunity to drive improvements, and understand how financials of retailer work.

High compensation, with heavy working hours.

Lots of turnover, so difficult to gain momentum with many initatives introduced in company.
Headquarters