Sears
7,174 reviews

Sears Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good working environment
Junior Accountant, Accounts Payable Investigations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2014
Working in Sears was an opportunity to demonstrate my ability as a team player. Being a member of the finance department in such a big company would lead to a fast pacing day.

One of the biggest challenges in the job was when I had to meet deadlines regarding the vendors. Each company has its own accounting system and Sears has to pay its bills before – more... the month end of the vendor.

As a part of the team, my skills were used effectively to get the job done and that was supported by the management. – less
learning experrience
sales associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2014
Pros: enviroment
Cons: long hours
i really like working their when i was in high school and i it was a great place to work and i loved it. The people and management was great to their employees
Serious work place with competition and henc no room for complacency
Commissioned Sales Professional, Sears Canada (Current Employee), Etobicoke South, ONMarch 22, 2014
Pros: very accommodating and considerate
Cons: products very often advertised but not available
Hard work to achieve goals which are possible with sincerity and honesty. The management was good with many frequent changes. Co-workers were highly competitive in selling and so one had to be vigilant. The hardest part of the job was having ordered items delivered promptly and to the satisfaction of the customer. The most enjoyable part was good sales – more... which resulted in good earnings. – less
Productive,fun loving work place with a great crew.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sunrise, NSMarch 21, 2014
Pros: friends and family night
Cons: long hours during the hoildays
Some days I would open up the fine jewelry dept. Got the registers opened and counted, counted the diamonds and placed them in the show cases. Cleaned off the counter tops.
I learned how to tell a good quality diamond from a poor quality diamond. Which gem stone was for what birth month.
The management was very fun loving as well as my co-workers, we – more... all got along and consider each other like family.
The hardest part of the job was trying to convince customers to purchase the care plans for their jewelry.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to spend that one on one time with the customer to get to know their likes and dislikes when it came to the jewelry they was looking for. I had very many fun times with my customers and searching for the right piece of jewelry that would fit to their personality. – less
Sears Canada Review
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 20, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: security
Good company to work for. They are flexible, friendly environment, and the pay is good as well.
Nofrills Review
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 16, 2014
Pros: family environment
Cons: minimum wage
No Frills environment is a family environment. Everyone who works there are considered family. The management is very good. A lot of hours given. They train their employees well. Pay is minimum wage, good starter job.
Great learning environment to take career in desired path
Buyer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2014
A typical day at Sears is chaotic! One must be able to jump between tasks and be flexible in their time management to adjust to changing priorities and deadlines. One moment I could be working on in-store marketing communication and the next be told flyers are due in one day instead of the week you thought you had or forecast for direct import team – more... deadline would change.
The hardest part of the job is the change in management and co-workers. As there was a high turnover rate so many times I would need to do jobs outside of my normal routine such as marketing team or inventory analyzing. Although challenging it was also enjoyable to be able to use and grow skills. I was constantly learning at Sears. – less
Enjoyable Work Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 14, 2014
Sears is a very customer service based environment, employees and customers of Sears are very enjoyable to be around.
Hardest part of my job was dealing with customer issues, and management/associate communication.
A fun place to work and great customers.
.Logistics (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 13, 2014
Pros: lots of good people work there..
Cons: no room for advancement because there are too many cutbacks to the full-timers and sales leads
I learned great customer service skills as well as inventory taking and logistics. I taught customers how to use their sewing machines and sergers. Management is not the best and the company as a whole is going down the tubes. Upper management only look out for the share holders and not the front line workers.
Fun and friendly place to work.
CSD Associate (Former Employee), YorkdaleMarch 12, 2014
Pros: discount on merchandise
Cons: the pay
A typical day would start with opening several registers, attending morning meeting, do a walk through so you know what on sales.

I have learned patience (this location was closing and had lots of sale) customers drove us nuts but we handle in professional.

Had a great manager who was always available. Had some of the most amazing Co-workers.

The – more... hardest part was when we were short staff and the store was busy and we had rude customers. The most enjoyable part was when we have returning customers who just wanted to say hello and wish us well. Also just to sit with some of co-workers and have lunch – less
Good
MH4 (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2014
Busy place to work, fast paced, a lot going on

The best part of working there is driving the machinery and working with good people
Enjoyed my years at work
Owner/Operator (Former Employee), ONMarch 11, 2014
Day to day challenges kept the job interesting.Customers are what made the job most enjoyable.
Amazing workplace with hardworking individuals
Administrative Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee), Eaton CentreMarch 10, 2014
Helping customers with their needs, always new things to learn and ways to improve yourself and those around you. The management team was very helpful. The hardest part of my job is when I am unable to help a person with a reasonable request.
na
Customer service (Former Employee), toronto ontarioMarch 7, 2014
excellent company unfortunately due to lay offs looking for a new job
fun place
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), pickering ontarioMarch 7, 2014
Pros: store discount
Cons: weekend hrs
fun place to work for. Lots of team activities.

Very busy location
at the time we were the largest home improvement company in Canada
DSM - ISM (Former Employee), thunder bay, wpg, saskatoon, regina, northern ontMarch 7, 2014
Pros: well known company name
Cons: handed a $200, 000, 000 busniess to a $20, 000 company
-provide the best customer service in the industry (customers for life)
-on going market share gain
-on going product & selling training
-on line management training available
-set market pricing vs national standardized pricing
-on going acceptable GP
-"hand picked" installation crews
-ongoing training for sales associates
-excellent financial options – more... for customers
-wide selection of product names from HVAC to roofing product
-exposure in all major markets with on going expansion – less
good company with good benefit
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2014
It is peaceful when working there, coworkers are nice and helpful. Management is ok. The wage is not as good as the bay, maybe due to the situation they are facing. But there benefit is way better than the bay. It is better for a person who wants a stable job with good benefit.
Decent Pay...that's about it.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), BurnabyMarch 6, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: long hours, no work life balance, continually decreasing benefits.
Sears was not a fun place to work at. Upon being hired, I needed to lay off 32 individuals. Not fun. That was not the end though...in all, as most now know, Sears Home Services is closing it's doors. Sad as there are ALOT of great individuals working here and the powers that be...do NOT listen to the staff. C'est La Vie.
Good working environment, Great team and great manager
Market Research Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2014
I absolutely love my current role but as an employee at Sears, there is no clear understanding of the direction as to where the company is heading.
Lead the store team to meet metrics and business needs. I was a viable person in the growth and development of employees.
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: developing employees to reach their potential.
Cons: dealing with conflict with peers that were not cooperating with business needs.
I lead the store team to meet business needs and daily metrics required. I worked closely with the store manager and was in charge of all his duties as well as my own when he was away. I was a viable part of growing and developing talent of the employees for promotional purposes and to meet the daily needs of the business.

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more