Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,870 reviews matching the search
Good people with passion and drive.
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2017
Good company with passionate and driven people. Unstable at this time however. Highly strategic projects that are changing the company from top to bottom. A lot of opportunity to try new and interesting things.
Always enjoyed coming to work at Sears
Merchandise Flow Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB31 July 2017
Typical Work Day- work in a fast pace, unload trailer, open merchandise, tag & hang merchandise, serve customer in timely manner, sell merchandise, follow up with my staff on tasks for the day, complete schedules, process returns to vendors.
good place to work
Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 July 2017
Very Nice place work I am working since 15 years no issues all is well I iwll recomend sears but during the current situation sears going through I am looking other options :)
Pros
all good
Bad job Thank God its going under
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 July 2017
Didn't understand what a school schedule meant. Learned how to work independently. Not much direction. Managers were fair but sat in their office too much.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC29 July 2017
everything is good, but the hours are not flexible sometimes, but overall the salary is good, very nice coworkers and nice bonuses. the hardest part of the job is working on sundays
Category Manager
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
Nice place to work at. You'll learn a lot at the job and there is a lot of potential to grow. the office location is right behind eaton centre which is just perfect.
Case Specific?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 July 2017
I was there a week and management was gossiping about me. Management continues to be incompetent and doesnt have any respect for their employees. I have worked at a few stores, and even stores that are going through bankruptcies etc that Sears is, but I have never worked in such an unprofessional environment. If the store doesnt die on its own, everyone leaving because of these issues are sure to force the doors closed.
Pros
the people I work with
Cons
management
Fun and challenging
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2017
Overall Sears was good place to for flexable hours and the people that work there. The enviroment was challenging and fun. A good experience in administrative office.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Not enough hours or benefits.
Efficient work place with fun with the in house Zym
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2017
Sears sourcing team is very well managed efficiently work distributed. There are some work pressure but this helps you to be more capable and also helps to learn how to organise your work better to be more efficient.
Pros
In house zym, employee discount, sample sales for employees.
Not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON24 July 2017
Sears is all about looks. If you look "stylish" and are "skinny" then you're easily hired. They don't seem to care about your skills nor customer service. You will be judged based on your fashion choices and body image. If a manager thinks you don't look the part, they'll move you to shipping or terminate you. Management is mean and not very knowledgeable. The customers are rude. You're expected to dress as if you were modeling in a fashion show, yet they work you like a dog (moving racks, lifting, cleaning, etc.)
Great work environment.
Shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 July 2017
Sears was a great place to work and develop skills in the workplace. Management was always willing to listen and were well suited for their positions.
great place for students
Sales Team Lead and Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON21 July 2017
great place for high school and university students. only 3 shifts required per week (min 12 hours). flexible shifts to assist with schedules. fair pay at min wage.
sears at great place to work, some fantastic leaders at district level.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 July 2017
the short time i was employed by sears, i realize the potential this company has and wanted to be apart of the growth, still a great place to work, and grow in the near future.
Nice workplace and co-workers.
Part time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2017
Everyday we have a morning meeting before we open the store. The manager discuss the performance of every department, how the daily goals are met. Learn how to improve sales everyday. How to deal with customers complaints and how to please them. We were required to always put stocks at the beginning of the day...and make sure all new stocks that arrive are well taken care and merchandise properly. The hardest part of the job are some employees not helping to finish the job on time. But for those team players its enjoyable to work because we can finish the job easily. Cooperation is the most important part of the job.
Pros
Breaktime is twice. 30 minutes and 15 mins. for 6 hours shift
Cons
Lack of personnel to take care of fitting rooms.
Phone job
Phone sales (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 July 2017
Good customer service experience, but didn't like working and talking on the phone for 8 hours a day. Most jobs were part-time, which is the reason Sears is going out of business, and no benefits.
Love working for Sears
Customer Service Desk Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
I enjoyed the staff and dealing with the public. I made retail fun for my staff. I ran training courses for the new staff and had exceptions of my staff and coworkers. They never let me down. I was voted by my staff and fellow management to to nominated and to receive the Customer Service Award of Excellence.
Pros
Great work environment
Relaxed workplace
Back Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 July 2017
A great option for someone who inst great at talking with people, and wants to do their work alone or with the help of one other person. Great management and very reasonable with hours.
Good people in old buildings
Commission Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
Reporting to the department manager, sell items appropriate to your assignment. In some cases one is expected to retrieve stock from the warehouse. Some items require extensive unpacking or assembly, it can be very hard to keep pace while maintaining expected neatness and attentiveness. Professional politeness and personal magnetism are expected, where customers may need to be told what they want, and the accessories that should accompany it.
Department managers tend to be great, store managers great, middle managers tend to be somewhere between OK and disruptive. Departments were cliquey but not catty.
Many Sears were built decades ago and the electronics, plumbing and infrastructure can be a pest.
Pros
Extended downtime when few shoppers
Cons
Extended stress time when inundated with shoppers
People devote their lives to this company
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Calgary NLC14 July 2017
I start the day logging on computer into my designated work area and warming up with some light duties, getting ready for the day.

Management will take the time to speak to the entire team and let them know any mistakes the previous day and how to improve, or they will tell you information you will need that day which can be many things.

This is a very big warehouse that deals with all Canadian provinces and there is many small details that can confuse a person who isn't familiar with this.

The manager DO NOT TRAIN ANYONE EVER! its left up to employees who are just trying to do their job but they are burdened with having to train people, which would not be so bad if turnover wasn't so high. When you have to repeat the same thing over and over to a dozen people every year it gets tiring.

The Co workers who are helpful to tell you things are the only thing keeping this company alive. The people I learned the most from have been lifelong Sears employees.

Hardest part of the job is not making mistakes because you haven't properly been trained or getting a write up for breaking some arbitrary rule when you are just trying to do your job. People will keep their head down and never talk or want to learn new things because all that means is higher chance of interacting with toxic management.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction at the end of the day from doing an honest days work, chatting with many friendly people and having lots of fun, making jokes and enjoying life with a real family of co workers. They also have free BBQs.
Pros
Fast paced and always something to keep you busy
Cons
Rigid corporate red tape and managers that make the job harder than it needs to be
very productive and enjoyable
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingsway Mall14 July 2017
Worked with great people, really enjoyed our shift, got a lot done in the shift, my work included building and dis assembling furniture, moving furniture as well as helping customers and learning new jobs and positions.
Pros
good work companions
Cons
long hours on feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9