Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,116 reviews matching the search
Organized and care about their employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 23, 2016
I find this workplace to have a good management team that cares about the employees' well-being. Frequently have events for employees such as pizza parties and potlucks.
Fun position, great co-workers, horrible boss !
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 20, 2016
I would dispatch 10 trucks throughout Vancouver Island to specific homes at specific times... routing each guy with their route, parts, timing and syncing them so that their days were fluid.

My boss was new and made and broke promises daily. Was very rude to some, and showed huge favortism to others.

I loved the job, but ended up hated going to work into what felt like elementary school games.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Manager from heck!
Worst job I have ever had
Sales (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 19, 2016
from day one you can tell it's a sinking ship. Badly behaved co workers and management. Toxic environment. One sales person called another's wife ugly, whose response was to pull a knife and threaten to kill him. They both kept heir jobs. I was almost on a fist fight over $0.30 Commission I accidentally stole. It was the second incidence of violence that my co worker had been invoked in, they still kept their job. They need to be gone from the Canadian busness landscape, terrible company.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Working in management level to ensure all the goals and expectations are met in collaboration with senior leaders and associates.
good people
North Hill Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  calgary albertaFebruary 17, 2016
a company struggling to create itself anew in fast changing retail enviroment and is in need of fresh ideas and staff if it is to survive for any length of time
fun work place, people were very nice
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSFebruary 12, 2016
My typical day of work would be ordering to make sure the store had all of the updated models and any that were going to be on sale for display. also had to make sure the work environment was clean and safe. made signs and had to order and ring in sales. I learned how to multitask, and learned all information about our craftsman products. My co-workers were very pleasant to work with and we all got along great. The hardest part of the job was stock, because everything was so large and heavy to move. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers.
Pros
the people i worked with were so easy to get along with and friendly
Cons
long christmas hours
I worked in men's dress shop and men's wear
men's dress shop and men's wear (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoyed the job and had great satisfaction in my position . 3 other people were hired for this position in the last year. I was told I was doing a good job . Then the day after a big sale ,just after my first break was taken into an office and told I was no longer needed . I was escorted to my locker and to the door, I asked 3 times why . It took the manager of the store 3 weeks to call me and tell why I was let go. Reason was I was not aggressive enough with customers . Within two weeks my lead was fired and now they looking for new manager For the store . Management was terrible . The staff was great and wonderful to work with.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
terrible management
Bad place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONFebruary 9, 2016
If you don't get like 10 people a day to sign up for the sears card you get fired, I ended up quitting and while I was there so many people got fired for it
Fun place to work
Merchandising Presentation Team (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day consists of putting out stock, cleaning assigned department, merchandising of clothes, marking down products to clearance, re-merchandising of clearance, and weekly sale set-up and take down. I have learned a lot about the ins and outs of retail merchandising in the two and a half years at Sears and really enjoy working in a team environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers and my co-workers.
Pros
great management team, christmas party, staff bbq's
Cons
not enough hours
Due to outsourcing the internal IT department is just a shell of it's former self.
Application Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Sears was a great company to be part of IT for many years but unfortunately that is no longer the case with the possible exception of the infrastructure group.
Pros
Very friendly group of employees .
Cons
Lack of directions
always productive at work
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
i enjoy my work with all multicultural coworkers and have good time along with them working, SEARS is a prestigious organization, thousands of workers work here, its good company
Fun workplace
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 5, 2016
i learned to work as a team. The management is very okay. My co-workers were very accommodating. i really enjoyed working there although it was a seasonal employment for me but it was cool.
Pros
good employee discount
Horrible company
MPT (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I worked for this company for last couple years and i don't have nothing nice to say. I was part of MP Team, it was fun place to work when we had a good leader, nice, friendly and approachable person somebody who knows her job. She left and somebody else took over and everything went downhill and your job started to be very stressful, people started to quit, job can't be done because they don't have people or new people don't have proper training and they don't know what to do, but there is no understandings from management, they keep their eyes closed or their going call you to the office for a lecture, hours are very bad one shift per week or two, MPT starts their shift at 5 a.m. not fun at all, Thursday is signs day and it is a horrible day, you can't go for break or home until signing is done and because they don't have people that takes time, no wonder nobody wants to stay. no hours, bad management, horrible leader, very pushy, not friendly, not approachable, rude, a lot of work waiting to be done but they don't have hours or people. So my point is spare yourself a lot of stress and go find somewhere else same job because It is not worth it..sorry Sears.
Pros
very nice, friendly co-workers
Cons
bad management, bad hours, very demanding job
A very flexible place .
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 31, 2016
I learnt many things from sears such as interaction with different kind of customers, work in a fast paced environment, 10 feet rule of customer service and list goes on.
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ONJanuary 30, 2016
The typical work day was slow at time but went faster as the day went buy and management was great and I learned knew thing. Overall great experience.
A vary fun place to work
Doc/ Pick ups (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Sears is a vary nice place t work at. I loved every singe second there. Every one treats you nicely and they always have a hug smile on there face.
Friendly, relaxing environment
Sales Floor Associate - Menswear (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJanuary 27, 2016
This was a temporary position taken on during the Christmas season. Duties included assisting customers with any questions or concerns, recommending products, doing inventory on the weekends and, keeping the workplace clean and sanitary.

Coworkers were generally friendly but, not always available if I had a question. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had satisfied a customer with a question or concern. I did however, find this position too slow-paced and lacking in challenge.
No Stability
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Although Sears is a great company to work for, and has wonderful loyal customers, there is no stability in really any job at their customer contact centre. This is the second time I've been laid off due to "business needs".
Pros
Big Cafeteria, 8 hour shifts, full 37.5 hour weeks
Cons
No stability
Loved Sears
Team Leader for Catalogue and Café (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed working with the people at Sears on the retail floor. I learned how to produce the documents that I only saw at month end when working at the District Office.
Pros
free coffee, nice people to work with, management was great too
Cons
lots of lifting, late hours
Decent Job, Not Very Good Wage or Work/Life Balance
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day at Sears Canada is short-lived. I worked on the merchandising team and typically most of the staff is part-timers as Sears Canada is moving away from full-time status positions as it is cheaper to hire several part-timers versus full-timers. You would typically be only scheduled during truck days and a day prior to advertisement set-up (changing signs in the store to reflect next day sales). Usually you get anywhere from 1-8 skids daily with merchandise that needs to be stocked. There is usually 1 individual in each department stocking product whereas 2 in larger departments like men's or women's fashions. There is quite a lot of pressure on you to finish quickly in short 4-6 hour shifts as it is rare getting a full shift during the day.

Learned about the various sales during the Sears Canada calendar year such as Sears Days, Clearance Sales, and etc. Used the computer terminal to search products up and typically can see if the product is going to be on sale within a 2-week period.

I had 1 Manager and 1 Supervisor. My manager was really experienced and knowledgeable about her job and had no problems interacting with her. I had no problems with my supervisor either.

Excellent co-workers. Many of the older co-workers in-charge of various departments were very knowledgeable and were able to teach and educate me very well when I began working at Sears Canada during my first few weeks.

The hardest part of the job was being guaranteed enough hours on a weekly basis.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to manage my own department. I was
  more... in charge of the Housewares department and assisted several other departments once all job tasks and duties were completed.

The wage wasn't really good during my time of employment. It was $10.25 for the 3 years I was employed there and Sears Canada did not have yearly raises.

There wasn't much opportunities for job advancement considering the few number of positions that were available.