Sears Employee Reviews

unproductive workplace lacking clear vision
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2017
Too many layers of management lead to poor corporate vision.
Recipe for disaster. some great people here but just as many employees along for a free ride.
Pros
Was a powerhouse at one time.
Cons
Poor management leadership
Sears had a great Vision, Mission and Values
EA to SVP, Merchandising & Global Sourcing (Former Employee) –  Toronto Eaton Centre - Toronto, Ontario30 November 2017
Working for Sears Canada before bankruptcy was amazing. Everyone got along and worked diligently in a fast-paced and exciting environment. Our executive's calendars were constantly changing and this made our work interesting and challenging. We maintained a great working relationship with all stakeholders.
Pros
We were a great team and assisted one another.
Cons
long hours but it was worth it.
Going out of business, what can I say
Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 November 2017
Going out of business. They had lots of time to fix things but they didn't. I can not recommend this company to work for because they don't know where their going.
Amazing atmosphere, great social benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC25 November 2017
Sears was a perfect workplace for me it was near my house, great people, atmosphere was wonderful, good social benefits and I was working on the phone and I worked as a secretary for 2 years.
great place to work
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 November 2017
42 years at Sears and 41 of those years were great years. The senior management was for the most part fair and tried to be accommodating to the employees. we had good benefits, I started with Sears doing deliveries, moved to the store in commission sales, was advanced to assistant sales manager, then to sales manager, then after I retired I was rehired or PT sales, and advanced to Sales Team Leader. I left Sears again. and was hired back PT sales again this time working a schedule that suited my semi retirement schedule.
Pros
Treated me very well, schedule was usually quite flexible.
Cons
Retail doesn't pay very well.
Too bad Sears is closing
Logistics Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2017
I enjoyed working for Sears and really like my job. It is sad that we are closing for good. This would have been where I would have stayed till retirement. Great team to work for and with.
Great workplace, sadly it's closing down
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 November 2017
Great workplace, sadly it's closing down
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers and making them happy. The employees at sears are very friendly and helpful.
team culture is great
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 November 2017
The job was fairly easy to deal with but not enough pay for employers. Working with the other associates was fun. Also I learned a lot of customer service working here. They offered a reward for meeting the sales target. Constantly meeting customers and maintaining the department throughout the day.
Pros
rewards, gitfts
Cons
low pay
It is good as a part time job
sales person (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 November 2017
it is good as a part time job but I prefer to have job which is related to my studies. The other negative point of working there is its salary which is too low for me.
Nice to work with everybody.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 November 2017
I learned many things, especially in dealing with different customers, coworkers and managers. We are like a family. Everybody is helping each other doing stocks and displaying merchandise in our store. I enjoy working in Sears Garden City. I will miss everyone in the store. I enjoyed working with all of them.
Pros
Free lunch every time we met our targets.
Cons
Sometimes hard but enjoyable.
Good Place To Work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 November 2017
Good place to work, disappointed it will no longer exist. After working here for a long time I am sad to go but happy that I had the chance to work here for as long as I did.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK21 November 2017
Sears is a place where they take a lot of issues and just don't do anything with them. When you have an issue with anyone, you really cannot trust management to help, because they will ignore you through and through.
Excellent expereince
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 November 2017
I have been working since last three weeks and I have found all members are so respectful and always ready to help you. I have learnt lots of things like how to make effective conversation with others, how to make customer happy,how to use material handling equipment etc. I really appreciate to all sears organisation family members,who have given opportunity to work in sears canada.
Thank you.
Pros
Safety measure
Was a great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 November 2017
It is too bad to see Sears go. I had a great career there with great people. They were flexible and fair until the end. Great products to sell. I will miss Kenmore.
Pros
flexible
Wonderful Co-workers
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 November 2017
The typical day at Sears, was getting to the job early, and filling out catalogue and online orders, that customers and purchased. And to have the merchandise shipped out on time.
Pros
Some of the best people I've met in life have come out of working here.
Cons
As most people know Sears is leaving us soon and has been for many years now.
Fast pace fun enviornment
Sales assosiate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON16 November 2017
The workers were so helpful in teaching everyone how to do cash and work on the floor. It was a lot easier to learn with such a helpful team. It was slightly unorganised in regards to scheduling.
Good paying job, but work 6 days a week
Carpet Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2017
Very good job if your willing to work 6 days a week with excellent pay!! With Sears Canada going out of business it has slowed down a lot and may close. The person I work for has been a franchisee of Sears in carpet and upholstery cleaning since 1994.
fun
signage promotion (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL14 November 2017
it was only when needs t ofill in for other workers that never showed up, then they call me to go fill in with a promotional sign in the city to promote there closing out sale
Was a great place to work, but now going out of business
Senior Manager, Inventory Systems (Current Employee) –  Ville St Laurent, QC14 November 2017
A typical workday starts at 04:30hrs and finishes around 16:00hrs.

I have really learned to come up with creative solutions to issues that arise on a daily basis.

Upper management is demanding, and middle management is excellent at fulfilling and rolling out the requests of upper management. Long hours and much is expected.

Workplace culture was positive until the announced closure, however, the associates were second to none and had a great chemistry.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours, on permanent call 24/7

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the associates and team members.
Pros
Freedom to make decisions
Low job satisfaction
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 November 2017
Manager was supportive of family life.
Poor benefits. Little opportunity for advancement.
High turnover of staff.
Low job satisfaction and low staff morale.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9