Sears

11.7K reviews

Sears Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
a good work environment, very supportive
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2013
Pros: helping customers, discounts
Cons: sometime interfered with my school schedule
Days at work were very busy. I had learned to approached every situation concerning a customer with an objective mind and tried to resolve their issues upon that.Management was very supportive and understanding of my schedule regarding school. My colleagues were warm and welcoming. The most difficult part of the job was being able to spread the time given evenly to various projects and tasks given for that day, while helping customers. The most enjoyable part of the was assisting the customers and ensuring that they leave the store satisfied with their purchase, for at the end of the day it is all about customer satisfaction.
cricket
Material Handler (Current Employee), Regina, SKJune 11, 2013
Pros: not need
Cons: ok
Material Handler Sears, Warehouse Regina, SK November 2011 – Present
• Received orders and unloaded the packages from the truck and placed it properly in the warehouse
• Stacked pallets / skids with packages once they were ready to be sent into Store
• Maintained work environment, cleaned and maintained tools and equipment used for unloading and loading
• Held responsibility for quality control of the products and goods stored in the warehouse
• Maintained accurate records of the materials received and transported out of the Warehouse
• Documented and managed the inventory control system in the computer by using scanners and bar code readers
• Conducted routines checks on the arriving shipments against their invoices
Great learning environment to take career in desired path
Buyer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2014
A typical day at Sears is chaotic! One must be able to jump between tasks and be flexible in their time management to adjust to changing priorities and deadlines. One moment I could be working on in-store marketing communication and the next be told flyers are due in one day instead of the week you thought you had or forecast for direct import team deadline would change.
The hardest part of the job is the change in management and co-workers. As there was a high turnover rate so many times I would need to do jobs outside of my normal routine such as marketing team or inventory analyzing. Although challenging it was also enjoyable to be able to use and grow skills. I was constantly learning at Sears.
Fun workplace with amazing energy
Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2014
I work in the baby section and provide product knowledge to new parents or grandparents. Folding and sizing clothing and creating registries happen on a daily basis. I learned many different things about products and even about what it is like to have a baby and I also strengthened how to help worried customers. My co workers are amazing and are always eager to lend a hand when things get busy. The hardest part of the job is trying to get as many things done as possible before a shift ends which can be a little challenging when you may be the only one working at that time. The most enjoyable part of the job is making new connections with customers and being able to know that you were apart of their new life as parents!
Amazing
Children's Wear Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: great pay, friendly environment, many things to do, helping out customers
Cons: hardly any cash register experience, having to stand for hours without sitting
I absolutely loved working there, the staff was very friendly (and still are). I loved the fact that I had a break and could go out into the mall for lunch. I loved how there was always something to do, even if there wasn't much. The pay was great, I had enough to get by. The sad thing was I didn't learn much about the cash register. When I worked there, I learned a lot about children clothing brands, what types of strollers, car seats, cribs, ect. were suitable and safe depending on age of the child. The hardest part was being on your feet all the time for hours. Overall, I loved the job!
sears
Sales and Customer Service-shoe department (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 26, 2013
Pros: team work
Cons: at times to slowed paced for myself.
Typically when I arrived at sears I would get orientated as to what has been done and what still needs to be done, from there on in the remainder of the shift would be assisting customers, answering the telephone and completing any tasks that where left for me which ranged from calling individuals to set up interviews or filling out the monthly budget sheet and keeping the work area clean. The hardest part of the job was at times finding something to keep you busy, by the end on the day the store was usually quite and a lot of the required tasks where completed through out the day. the most enjoyable part was my co-workers that they a wonderful group of people.
Fashion industry
order entry and distribution of mechandise (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: i ended up leaving because of many changes that were going on
It was a great place to work I worked there for almost 21 years and made lots of great friends. I worked always in the same department except for a few months when I tried something else in the delivery department.A typical day would be entering orders into their system and then making sure the right merchandise was shipped to the right store. At times I would also do some manual packing.
I enjoyed my time at sears very much we shared many good moments as well as bad ones but we always worked as a team.
There was no really hard part of the job.
We often had bbq,s and appreciation days,
halloween contests and over good time.
Hard working and Time
Analytics Coordinator (Current Employee), 290 Yonge Street, 7th Floor, TorontoJuly 23, 2014
I have been worked in e-Commerce at Sears over the past two years. This has given me the distinct edge of knowing how to apply, analyze, and bring internet marketing to be succeeded. In these two years of work tenure, I have assisted Merchandise team with pricing and inventory issues. I have used my analytical and logical skills and my experience in my work to come up with profitable solutions so that ensure the data are accurate and relevance with flyers and digests. Also, I provide sales report for different business teams, summarize website performance and recommend possible improvements. Besides working with great minds in my field, I have got the opportunity of learning and enhancing my skills.
fun and family oriented place to work, very enjoyable
Food Service-Retail Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 10, 2012
Pros: discounts on everything in the store, great benefits
Cons: management should have got raises yearly
I work with over 250 people of all different age, gender and nationalities. It was enjoyable place to work with a great vibe and morale. We had our regular clientelle. I would have stayed there for many years to come but due to a corporate decision canada wide there was a massive layoff of 450 people.

The staff, management, human resources department and people were great. My department worked as a team so no one was ever struggling, one would always help thee other. The hardest part of the job was getting staff to stay and it is always hard to dismiss someone but has to be done.
Merchandise Presentation Team
Merchandise Presentation Team (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 16, 2014
Pros: challenging, fun, social
Cons: lack of communication, poor training
A typical day at work involved creating product displays during liquidation at one of the corporation's key locations. I learned how to work under pressure to perform basic tasks such as folding clothing and assisting customers. Management was strict and pressured to ensure that employees performed, but lacked communication with employees. I was trained under another employee without supervision and was not taught all fundamental aspects of the job. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet for over 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part was seeing the difference I was making in the store each day.
Positive work enviorment overall
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJune 18, 2014
Pros: co workers were excellent, positive work enviornment, selling clothing was fun
Cons: difficult at times to meet weekly sales quotas, salary was not ideal
A typical day of work included keeping my area clean greeting customers and providing excellent customer service. My co workers were all very nice and friendly I have no complaints and management was nice and helpful however I found there was a lot of pressure to sell, sell, sell which in turn took away from helping customers to the full extent because most of our customers didn't have a lot of money. The hardest part of the job was meeting quota on a weekly basis. The best part of the job was helping customers and making them happy.
Team focussed environment with strong emphasis on celebrating successes for management and associates alike
Sales Mgr/Replen Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Cornwall, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: a strong focus on accomplishments
Cons: currenly under a wage freeze
Sears, Cornwall ON has a strong focus on success with consistent acknowledgement and recognition for individual as well as team accomplishments. Associates and management employment anniversaries and successes are celebrated daily and monthly. Senior Management is extremely flexible, understanding both the needs of the business as well as balance in their management and associates personal life. The General Manager, is extremely approachable with an Open Door Policy which she has implemented for everyone.
Gained Valuable Canadian work experience
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: co-operative supervisor
Cons: seasonal job
This job has been good to me, and I love most everyone I work with. The supervisors are cooperative, fair and very accommodating as far as the schedule goes and when I have needed time off for personal issues and ensure that we work efficiently at the front. Coworkers are helpful and always there for me when I need it. HR is too very good and helpful. I have been able to improve my customer service skills, my communication skills, and my teamwork skills as this was my first job in Canada. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to help people all day and talk with them about their needs and experience in the store.
Material Handler Fork Lift Operator
Material Handler (Former Employee), Vaughn, OntarioMay 1, 2014
 Knowledge of WHMIS
 Load/Unload products and materials, by hand or with material handling equipment
 Ability to operate various mobile equipment, ie. Forklift, truck, hoist, motorized conveyor, stackers
 Also, posses the ability to operate pump trucks, conveyor systems, hand-held scanners, and tuggers
 Monitor and ensure mobile equipment is operated according to safety regulations outlined by the company
 Fill orders promptly and efficiently with stock, move inventory,read/scan tickets
 Maintain and organize inventory
 Verify and maintain all supporting documents accompanying shipments. Report any discrepancies to appropriate area via online, or written
great staff to work with,
Customer Service Representative & Team Leader (Former Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: staff discounts, recognition
Cons: hours of work, shifts
My typical day at work, like with my other call centre work was being on the phones, assisting callers with their orders, be it placing new orders or fixing orders that went awry. The hardest part of my job was telling a customer that they wouldn't get their order in time for the holidays. the best part of my job was helping them straighten out a complicated situation to receive a satisfactory conclusion.
there wasn't much feeling of job security as jobs were phased out and people were constantly coming and going. there was a lot more attrition in this call centre than in other places where I had worked
Fantastic Workplace to Develop and Master Retail Skills
Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 12, 2013
Pros: management, training, opportunities
Cons: industry insecurity
Sears Canada is the classic, big box retailer. From sales to merchandising, logistics and support; Sears Canada has taught me the skills to function in any retail environment. My position within Loss Prevention has allowed me to absorb knowledge from almost all other departments; management has always been supportive and willing to move talent forward. It has allowed me to realize that as a Leader, one is only as strong as their team. I have adopted a culture of passing on knowledge, strengthening team members and refining new associates in order to improve as a department.
My most recent role was with Sears Home Services the custom home improvements "division" . Sears Home Services declared bankruptcy in December 2014.
Office Assistant, In Store Consultant, (Former Employee), VictoriaApril 23, 2014
Pros: generous staff discount
As an Office Assistant with Sears Canada and as an In Store Consultant with Sears Home Services(custom home installations), my typical day in both roles was service service service with a smile and efficiency.
The management team worked hard to maintain morale. My co-workers were very positive.
The pay is poor, but the associate discount is very generous, job security and opportunities for advancement are limited. But Sears Canada is still in business.
Sears Home Services went bankrupt in December 2013.
Stay away unless you like bad management
Lemming (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2013
Pros: location. work-life balance. employee discounts.
Cons: bad management. bad management. and bad management.
The good: Great location (Eaton Centre). Work-life balance is great. Employee discounts on merchandise.

The bad: Incompetent management who don't understand or care about customers, starting from the CEO on down. Its an old-boys club. Poor performing employees are rewarded with promotions. Ancient IT systems. Lack of process. Lack of accountability. Employees don't care about the business (in general). And the US owner is only interested in draining cash from the business, not investing in it.

Overall: Stay away unless you're desperate for a job and/or want retail experience.
A serious job but made some fun if we could!
Investigator (Former Employee), Windsor, Ontario, CanadaSeptember 28, 2012
Pros: it taugh me that all is not good in the world, and it also taugh me compassion in some os my apprehensions.
Cons: dangerous work, most people think its an easy job until they try it themselves, its far from easy you need to know your surrounding at all times.
.Apprehending shoplifters, and fraudulent acts
. learned to present my evidence to the court
. had an awesome manager very fair
. well we were in a very competive job, but considering that we all got along quiet well
. apprehending the suspect, got rough sometimes, broke a finger once
. working in the camera servailence room, then going on the floor walking, it was nice switching back and forth, it was a very nice balance
I enjoyed my job at Sears for the time I had there
Merchandise Presentation Lead (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMay 20, 2014
Pros: new faces new smiles
Cons: none come to mind
I totally enjoyed working in the merchandising aspect of things. I like the idea of doing something different everyday but still giving perfect customer service at the same time. This is the reason I went into management in the merchanding area. I enjoyed working with my co workers as a team and communicating about any changes or work that wasn't finished off at end of day.( Although I myself would normally stay extra hours to finish up a job unfinished.) I learned something new everyday in the merchandising field or in retail in general. I like meeting new people and facing new challenges
Headquarters