Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,133 reviews matching the search
Needs Balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJuly 10, 2016
Management Team, worked cohesively together. Definitive and consistent direction/communication with the GM at that time was lacking. Employee survey of satisfaction for whole store 43% out of 100%.
Pros
Management and Staff worked well together for the most part
Cons
GM was inconsistent with expectations, unprofessional with approach in addressing areas of opportunity.
Working at Sears
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 20, 2015
A typical work day at Sears was interacting the customers there were pleasant ones and not so pleasant ones. I still held my composure and try to get a laugh out of everyone. Sometimes successful sometimes not. The hardest part of the day was knowing that there was a customer dissatisfied with our services.I really enjoyed talking with the customers. Management and my co-workers were fabulous to work with.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
chances for advancement was limited
Great Job for the Right Person
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2016
Have worked for the company for a long time, and sometimes feel like I care more about the job and the customers then the managers in the company do.

Other than that, it is commission based and if you are willing to put in the time and effort to grow your own business, you can do well for income. if you are not good with people, you will struggle.
fun place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2016
learnt how to do welding, this was my first job and I worked here for 35 years, then I moved to Canada, challenging job, coworkers were great, welding fumes were not the fun part, great working environment lots of tools to do the job properly
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
This was a fun and interactive place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 17, 2016
A typical day at working here was booking appointments, or talking photos of clients and their families. I learned a lot about interacting with customers, and how to pose people for shots. I found the hardest part of the job was trying to get some of the younger kids to smile for the photo.
Pros
Getting to work with kids
Cons
Long periods of no work
The job is seasonal and hours were cut or given when they needed you
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 16, 2016
My job was customer service as a cashier. I had to learn how to deal with complaints and if they couldn't' be resolved ask for a manager. Most people were helpful and my direct manager was wonderful to work for. I left due to hours being cut and I loved helping the customers and interacting with them.
Pros
Loved the customer service end of the job and my co workers
Cons
Not enough hours to live on.
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ONJanuary 30, 2016
The typical work day was slow at time but went faster as the day went buy and management was great and I learned knew thing. Overall great experience.
Fun and promising company
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 30, 2016
Sears is a great company to work for. From the management team to the co-workers, everyone is extremely helpful and hardworking. Not only did I gain practical experience from Sears, but I also received outstanding costumer service and communication skills. It was delightful working for such a welcoming company.
What i learned
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Danville, QCOctober 9, 2015
I started out in the lawn & Garden/tools department where i learned how to start the selling process and how to upsell and also sell from the top down. I learned many of the basic retail sales skills in this department. I had a successful few months and transferred to the electronics department which also assisted in the sales of the appliances and vacuums. There i learned much more and many advanced techniques in the sales process because i went to full commission. I had about 3 more successful months being the top seller in both departments and was offered a management position and gratefully accepted. While in the management i learned many of the behind the scenes processes such as inventory management and process along with personnel training in the workplace and scheduling around many employees schedules. The culmination of all of the skills that i learned earned me the assistant store managers position.
Pros
great management team, taught the complete selling process
Cons
very numbers oriented, metrics were more important than the customers
Too much pressure for Rapid Credits!
Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  VICTORIA BCFebruary 28, 2015
As a high school student entering university, I did not enjoy my overall experience at sears. The co-workers we're so friendly and nice, yet the management at sears is very unorganized and pressure you to sign people up for Sears cards.

At one time the head manager and little sticky notes, with individual names on them (including mine) and sticked them to her office door, for everyone to see who hasn't been signing people up for sears cards! This created an environment that was negative and not uplifting. it didn't motivate me at all. All they really care about is signing people up for Sears Cards, yes it helps the company but it does not motivate your employees, it just discourages them.

Whats even worst, is that my position is a floor replenishment and merchandizer so i am rarely on the cash desk to even discuss sears cards...

The pay at Sears is minimum wage...i have never received a raise yet or bonuses. (working for over a year)
Pros
co-workers
Cons
sears cards
Friendly, relaxing environment
Sales Floor Associate - Menswear (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJanuary 27, 2016
This was a temporary position taken on during the Christmas season. Duties included assisting customers with any questions or concerns, recommending products, doing inventory on the weekends and, keeping the workplace clean and sanitary.

Coworkers were generally friendly but, not always available if I had a question. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had satisfied a customer with a question or concern. I did however, find this position too slow-paced and lacking in challenge.
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 23, 2015
I enjoyed my work place at Sears because the great staff that I worked with. The management was great because they helped on the floor when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when staff helped each other, and they can make each other laugh.
Pros
awesome magement
Cons
not enough hours
Un travail plaisant.
Manutentionnaire (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCFebruary 25, 2016
Le personnel est très chaleureux, le travail est partagé avec précision, c'est-à-dire que la quantité de travail à accomplir durant un quart de travail n'est jamais excédante à la capacité moyenne des employés.

Une organisation intacte, dès le début du quart, le travail est enclenché et ce jusqu'à la dernière minute, sans excès.
Pros
Belle ambiance sans contraintes.
Cons
Le poids de la marchandise qui pouvait s'avérer plus ou moins lourd.
Fun position, great co-workers, horrible boss !
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 20, 2016
I would dispatch 10 trucks throughout Vancouver Island to specific homes at specific times... routing each guy with their route, parts, timing and syncing them so that their days were fluid.

My boss was new and made and broke promises daily. Was very rude to some, and showed huge favortism to others.

I loved the job, but ended up hated going to work into what felt like elementary school games.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Manager from heck!
Not bad for a first job, but not easy
Canada Merchandise Flow Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2015
The job involves a lot of monotony, heavy lifting and a very old customer base which means a lot of people who are hard to deal with.

hours vary from 50 hours a week to 12 so not a lot of consistency, even in full time.

almost every job in the dock is ''non standard work'' ie cleaning blood or vomit, or dealing with 4 month overdue items or failed deliveries.
filing system is almost archaic using a scanner from the 80s and a accordion file. half the customers want to load a 150lb range into their full mini van and dont understand when we cant do much for them.

the people on the other hand are great. barely any complaints about other staff and everyone is friendly. regular meetings with store and ops managers from each department every 3 or 4 weeks means new ideas and problems get dealt with quickly.

raises are rare and are mainly given to the staff as celebration days where meals are provided for everyone to enjoy.
feels insecure
sales manager (Current Employee) –  vancouver,bcSeptember 8, 2015
It's all about credit card acquisition. We have been given the impression that the company will not survive unless we meet card acquisition goals. Staff are all fearful that they will be let go if they do not achieve card acquisition targets and managers are having to put staff on formal performance improvement programs if they are below standard. District office creates culture of fear and intimidation-you're always feeling like you have to look over your shoulder. This is not leadership
Pros
Great people who try hard. Lots of experienced staff who really care whether the company survives
Cons
Not a lot of recognition for all the great things people do
Decent
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJune 6, 2016
The employees were pretty great. It was a really positive work environment. The management was either right on your butt or they were way too laid back. The job itself was very easy, and you learned to multi-task.
Pros
The people and the work environment were great
Cons
One shift/week
managing the store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's , NLJune 4, 2015
management work mostly involves scheduling, handling stock and merchandizing the store, performing inventory counts, training new associates as per hiring, solving customer problems and complaints and promoting sales, mostly this job involves in a more technical aspects as to do minor repairs in watches and jewellery so counter-balancing sales is a challenge which is overcome with excellent customer service, keeping a friendly and enjoyable environment in the workplace provides increase in promotion and allows associates to maximize sales and service
A great place to work if one is a student and the team is almost always kind and friendly!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 4, 2016
A typical shift will be anywhere from 4-8 hours of work. Depending on the area one works, they might be busier than others. For example Ladies Wear is busier than Catalogue, and the tasks each of them perform is different.
friendly and generally given lots of space when doing a task
MPT Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2016
whenever I was given a task to do they would always give me lots of freedom to do it how I wanted, no micro-management. most of the mangers and higher ups were friendly but sometimes they would out-source there jobs to me because I am young and fit.

2.9