Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,133 reviews matching the search
Used to be great company to work for.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 6, 2016
The company is focus on short term plans, stop the bleeding now but not focusing on long terms company future. Without good plan just putting out fires every day, very reactive culture, too many management changes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long hours, too much travel
Busy but good management and a professional Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
Good Management, busy in the office. Hardest part is not enough hours for their employees.
I learned data entry and the delivery system. I learned how the catalogue system works. Most enjoyable part of work is having Galas and prizes every few weekends
Great company but they hurt their own business.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
Awesome co-workers and management team.
The hardest part of the job was the constant changes of the schedule
as well as the constant changes in district managers made it frustrating.
Extreme pressure to be very similar to another company.
Compromising time for quality.
The most enjoyable part was enjoying the job by taking photos and working with amazing staff definitely helped.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Shorter hours, too many changes
Seasonal position
SALES ASSOCIATE-MEN'S WEAR (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 4, 2016
A great team of hard working people that unfortunately was only a seasonal position. I enjoyed praise from management, co workers and customers.
The most difficult aspect was working with no training on cash or product knowledge.
It was enjoyable to go to work every day with self confidence in being able to give the correct information to customers and having them leave with a smile.
I learned that I am a quick learner and still very well suited to customer service.
Pros
Lovely customers and new challenges each day.
Cons
Having to teach myself the computer system and product knowledge
A great place to work if one is a student and the team is almost always kind and friendly!
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 4, 2016
A typical shift will be anywhere from 4-8 hours of work. Depending on the area one works, they might be busier than others. For example Ladies Wear is busier than Catalogue, and the tasks each of them perform is different.
Great Company with a strong Heritage of 60+yrs Retailing
Sr Merchandise Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
Lot of challenges in running day to day business which helps a retail professional to learn on day to day basis, on facing and sailing through the challenges thrown in front of you .
Great colleagues with strong experience to learn from .
Sometimes it can be chaotic but that's expected from a company which is trying to reinvent it self with a strong 60+yrs of retailing heritage .
Excellent working Invironment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 2, 2016
It has been excellent experience working at Sears Stores for the last more than one and half year Excellent working environment &, excellent and supporting team members,very caring and supporting management.Very enjoyable and encouraging customer interaction while dealing with the customer resulting into building long term customer relationship
Working in retail always creates a sense of challenge.
Administrative Assistant/Catalogue Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 1, 2016
Sears has always provided a fair, cooperative environment to work in. The management team is comprised of a well rounded group of people who offer their assistance and are team oriented.
In the business of retail, change is a daily occurrence. New programs are implemented, along with new policies. Being adaptable is key. Camaraderie is a valuable asset, as being a part of a team, one must be able to connect with, and offer ideas to create a better working environment.
Negativity is not tolerated as it only generates non-productive employees.
The most difficult aspect of the job is always trying to keep ahead of any changes that may affect the customer/employee relationship. In order to provide excellent service, one must offer knowledgeable service.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to connect and interact with our customers as each and every one presents a new challenge, which creates an working environment that is constantly evolving.
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Short shifts, scattered throughout the workweek.
Relaxed and customer Oriented Culture
Part-Time Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 30, 2016
Helped learning customer satisfaction, polite staff with a great management team. Customer Oriented company focusing best to serve the customers.
A very productive and a friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 29, 2016
Throughout my years as a Customer Service Representative at Sears I have gained a lot of interpersonal skills and a clear knowledge on customer care. Sears has given me the opportunity to build positive relationships with my co-workers and the management team. Overall, It has been a rewarding experience in which I take much pride in. I hope to enhance my extensive skills and be a great asset to my future employers.
Amazing place to work with positive work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Sears was a great employer for me. I got to learn improve many of my skills such as, customer service, sales, time management, and cash handling skills. The management there was very friendly and supportive. Employees would go the extra mile to teach you the tips and tricks needed to do better at the job.
Boring, easy to lose job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 21, 2016
I was hired while there were planning to close many stores, and i never knew if my store would be next. I was eventually laid off due to their financial situation
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
job security
Productive and extremely fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 21, 2016
Working as a Waitress always felt rewarding. I learned how to coordinate a professional manner under high pressure, maintain cleanliness at a high degree and last but definitely not least... interact with guests positively. Management at the workplace was absolutely excellent due to superb channeling of communication between the Manager and other waitresses. Plans were strongly developed to ensure guests and coworkers were happy. Hence, I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Plus, it definitely made it easy for all waitresses to maintain a positive, professional and energetic manner no matter what conditions or atmosphere we had to face. Next, the hardest part of my job was taking special precautions for guests due to allergies. On a positive note, the most enjoyable part of the job was exceeding guests' expectations and dealing with complaints using strong leadership skills and team effort.
Pros
Free meals including dessert
Cons
Juggling large trays of food in tight spaces
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
Work place is good.
Co-workers are cooperative and helpful.
I learned about managing Cash Register, Handling Cash, improve my customer service skills
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Low Salary
slow boring
Material Handler (MH3) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONMarch 17, 2016
The best part of Sears was the people you worked with. Met a lot of good people there, but Sears laid me off because I have a disability.
Good Product knowledge sharing, good public relations experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONMarch 16, 2016
Opening, serve customers, get parcels, process credit card payments, money transactions, balance books, welcome customers, share knowledge of products to make suitable decision of purchase, do bank deposit. If cash was out trying to find out why. Seeing happy customers that appreciate you taking the time to assist them.
Pros
Work schedule suited lifestyle, first retail experience.
Cons
No advancement worked both sides, heavy lifting, no benefits
at one point was a great work place and now is not
jewellery associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
worked their for almost 3 years got a new manager and i get 4 hours a week if im lucky, never get any shifts because they keep cutting hours
Pros
great people
Cons
no hours
The job is seasonal and hours were cut or given when they needed you
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 16, 2016
My job was customer service as a cashier. I had to learn how to deal with complaints and if they couldn't' be resolved ask for a manager. Most people were helpful and my direct manager was wonderful to work for. I left due to hours being cut and I loved helping the customers and interacting with them.
Pros
Loved the customer service end of the job and my co workers
Cons
Not enough hours to live on.
Save your precious time, do not work at sears
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
Trust me when I say this, Sears is NOT a nice place to work. The management is extremely poor! The management is rude, they're judgmental, they don't let you take breaks (if you do, you get a warning), etc. My manager would constantly say "iffy" things about customers and their ethnicity... I HATED working with people like that. I hated going to work, and I couldn't wait to leave. The older people that have worked at sears for 20+ years are so old fashioned and think so negatively. It was honestly the worst place I've ever worked. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work at Sears. To top everything off, I have years of cosmetic experience, I have a certificate for makeup artistry and I've worked with some VERY talented and well-known people. SEARS ONLY WANTED TO PAY ME $11.50 and hour. practically minimum wage. Sears is a JOKE. I thought they'd be closed by now.

The BEST part about working at sears, was the newer and younger co-workers. We became very close friends.But you can find that at any other job.

A job is a job, I know, however I STRONGLY advise for people to stay away from Sears, you will be so miserable working there.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, treated horribly
I loved my job
Fulltime Fragrance, Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
I had a great time working at Sears.
All coworkers were friendly and helpful
My management was understanding and supportive
Good benefits

In my experience this job was fun and very gratifying by the end of the day.

2.9