Sears

Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,003 reviews matching the search
Former employee
Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaJanuary 17, 2014
I started working for Sears as a exterior contractor from 1985 until 2004 in which time Sears offered me a exterior field inspector job to manage the crews and do customer service which was a great job. The management team was excellent as well as most of the office staff great place to work.
As time went on I became a installation manager in charge of the exterior contractors in one of the largest markets Sears have. With the help of my managers I learned a lot about customer service and keeping repeat customers it was a pleasure meeting all customers good and bad but in the end all customers were satisfied and came back for other services.
Due to the closure of the Home improvements in Canada I am seeking employment in the USA as I would like to continue working for a Company that has satisfied my economical needs for so many years.
Pros
great people great customers and a place to achieve
Good environment,
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 9, 2015
A typical day at work I would come in make sure everything's in order, and wait for customers to serve if I found everything to be in order. I learned how to be a cashier. I had issues with management as I was hired as a part time employee, I was informed that i would be full-time for the first week of employment and part-time afterwards however my manager continued to schedule me for full time hours despite this. Another issue I had was that a largely determining factor on whether I would be continue to be employed was based on sears credit card sales, a factor largely out of the control of a cashier there was no acknowledgement of whether you had someone who desired a sears credit card, but was not approved, nor was there acknowledgement when 90% of your customers already had sears card and therefore you could not sell to them, this I would say was the hardest/most stressful part of the job.
Excellent team to work with, lots of fun and easy to get along with.
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2014
The hours are flexible at Sears, whether you are full time or part time. If you wish to work only mornings, only evenings, or only daytimes, that is possible. Help is usually around if you need it, and the other associates are very friendly. Customers are a big hassle as many of Sears' policies are very oddly worded and are hard to explain. Management changes hands quite often but for the most part is quite intelligent, friendly and helpful. Do not expect any raises or recognition for your work- just be another cog in the wheel.
Simply put, Sears pays the bills and helps pass the day. I have learned alot about people and about the way the world revolves but it is not somewhere I would like to spend the rest of my life. However, that is relative I suppose.
Pros
long lunches, friendly staff, flexible hours
Cons
poor pay, no advancement, no recognition, blame shifting
Typical job, typical pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dieppe, NBSeptember 15, 2012
Cleaning, selling, searching. You are either cleaning the sales floor from customers shopping, at a cash register ringing and ringing, or helping a customer find something.

I learned that this is not the job for me. That people aren't as nice to you when you can't give them what they want, and that when I am consistently pressured to do something insignificant with no promise of raise or even praise, I feel less inclined to do said things.

Management is scatered and does not communicate because they all have their own stresses.

Co-workers are actually quite pleasant and do what they are asked, but do not seem to serch for more work when they are done.

The hardest part of this job is getting a raise, getting a promotion, or making ends meat with minimum pay. Also, I hate slow shifts.

I enojy the laid back atmosphere at times, but I prefer to stay busy.
Pros
discounts, repetitive
Cons
tedious tasks, repetitive
Productive,fun loving work place with a great crew.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, NSMarch 21, 2014
Some days I would open up the fine jewelry dept. Got the registers opened and counted, counted the diamonds and placed them in the show cases. Cleaned off the counter tops.
I learned how to tell a good quality diamond from a poor quality diamond. Which gem stone was for what birth month.
The management was very fun loving as well as my co-workers, we all got along and consider each other like family.
The hardest part of the job was trying to convince customers to purchase the care plans for their jewelry.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to spend that one on one time with the customer to get to know their likes and dislikes when it came to the jewelry they was looking for. I had very many fun times with my customers and searching for the right piece of jewelry that would fit to their personality.
Pros
friends and family night
Cons
long hours during the hoildays
productive, busy workplace-fun people-learning of new tasks and systems
Receiving Worker (Former Employee) –  barrie, ontarioFebruary 5, 2014
A regular day at work would entail setting up cash service desks with the supplies needed for staff to do their jobs for the day. Then do administrative tasks including making sure staffing was adequate for the business day. Next would be checking for all deliveries in coming and out going with all proper paperwork necessary. Helping on sales floor with any merchandise that was needed to be put out or pulled from floor. Also all through the day answering the phone and receiving door for customers. Also receiving all contractors that were there to do work and make sure all their paperwork was in order. On closing shifts I would make sure all staff were out of the building, check all doors and equipment before alarming and locking up for the night.
Pros
various tasks-constantly busy-meet new people
Cons
cold weather on dock
Enjoyable place to work. Most are team players.
Customer Service Desk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  SherwaySeptember 26, 2014
I loved working at SEARS. I started off merchandizing, moved up to cashier in Home Decor, then was placed in Modern shop Clothing.
Although I only worked a few months before the store closed, I enjoyed my job, and wished I could have stayed working at SEARS.
The employees are friendly with a few exceptions of some thinking they were more superior to you because the worked there longer.
There was no real hard part about the job only when the store closed and the customers bombarded you with racks and racks of clothes to cash out. The most enjoyable part of working there was you worked a few days got a few days off. I really did not mind the shift changes. I also got more experience on the cash register which helped me find another job on cash/CSD. I love working with people and interacting with my customers.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
store closed
I worked at SLH for 27 years. It was a very progressive company and rewarded hard work.
Area Sales Manager Sears Catalogue (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 14, 2012
My last assignment there was managing the fleet of about 450 owner operators and maintaining compliance. A typical day involved dealing with legal issues, cross border shipments and the resolution of compliance incidences. I learned a great deal about the post 9-11 working environment in the U.S. and the details of working with those rules. I managed a staff of about 30 clerical people and worked with a tremendously talented and hard working management team. The most difficult part of the job was the required follow up and resolution of compliance issues. The best part of my job was the satisfaction of meeting the expectations of the owner operators and our customers.
Pros
my job involved a great deal of anonymity.
Cons
sometimes, the owner operators could be very one sided in their views.
Good Starter Job
Children's Wear Sales Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 12, 2013
Sears is a well known and respected company that is going under. There is nothing wrong with the job itself, however management and coworkers don't care about anyone but themselves, I'm a customer focused individual and my most current manager shortened my hours and pretty much cut me from the position. I was there for two years and the best sales and positive customer feed back of the whole department. When the new manager took over she didn't want anyone being better than her, even though she still knew nothing about her position, her associates positions, and the department she was working in. I left after two years because the harrassment and unfairness was taken too far.
As a starter job for a few months to a year while in school is a good place to be other than that, its not at all.
Pros
friendly staff, usually fun environment
Cons
low pay, bad management
Loss-Prevention
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 11, 2015
I enjoyed this position as it always offered something new and exciting everyday. I learned a great deal through hands on experience and was able to witness many new things that furthered my experience in customer service, and in handling emergency situations.
On a typical day I could be making an arrest due to a theft, handling an emergency situation that involved First-Aid, watching surveillance cameras, attending to a customer service issue, or inflicting the Trespass to Property Act. My team of co-workers and management were all extremely helpful towards one another and worked together in order to complete all the tasks at hand. This position is one that required team-work in many scenarios, especially when our own safety was put at risk.
Pros
Everyday was different, variety of responsibilities
Cons
Store closed so the position was not permanent
Friendly Work place with great deals
Retail Customer Service and Admin (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 27, 2012
A typical day would include opening the customer service department, answering telephone inquiries. Daily balancing of paperwork related to catalogue. Dealing with customer service complaints/inquiries. Correspondence through email, scheduling deliveries and retail operations. Some shifts required closing up the department which included balancing Cash drawer, and Safe.
I have learned a great deal working at Sears, especially on how to deal with surprising irate customers. My coworkers are fun and easy to get along with and the management team is very approachable which makes one's job easier. The hardest part of the job is watching a customer walk away unsatisfied due to a company policy. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a customer's day better.
Pros
great deals
Cons
slow advancement opportunities
Professional establishment where everyone works as a team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 19, 2012
A typical day at work would be customer service related. Attending to the customers needs, answering phones, placing orders as well as stock.

I have learned a lot about this position over the last 2 1/2 yrs. Learned how to look up information to get an item ordered in for a customer using computer. Also learned that everyday is a new learning experience; always a new challenge.

Co-workers are very important and happy to have a good working relationship with them as we are a team and do things together.

The hardest part of the job for me would be having to turn away a customer due to being out of stock for the desired merchandise.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me would be meeting new people and being part of making their day an enjoyable one just by meeting their needs.
Pros
working experience
Cons
fluctuation of hours
Fun co-workers
Keypunch Operator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 26, 2012
- I know that we must move on , but I miss the old 129 IBM machine. Expecially the numbers on the Keybord, they were upside down and I still have that old habit of typing the numbers that way, (I have to practice how to type numbers!)
- I had the opportunity to learn a lot those 3 years. I learned to use the Telex, do some mail sorting, tabulating, answering phones and paging.
I also did some inventory counting in the warehouse parts department.
- The co-workers were all really nice people, (most of them I invited to my wedding.
- What back then a problem in the warehouse was: working with a lot of returns. Customers were receiving wrong parts at times, maybe who was filling the Bins didn't pay much attention of the items that had to be there.
- I loved working overtime during Inventory because I needed more money and enjoyed the workplace.
Pros
opportunity tho play cards during breakes.
Sears Canada was a great place to work, with lots of opportunities to realize personal goals
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Although I stayed in the Accounts Payable department, The company allowed the opportunity to learn and excel in various roles within but not subjective to specific departments.
I met and communicated with some wonderful people (internal/external) throughout my tenure and will treasure those memories.
The gratification of knowing I addressed or brought some degree of satisfaction/resolution to a business partner (internal/external) on a daily basis were the joy of various roles.
The most difficult part of the job was the thought of a family no longer being able to coordinate efforts as we parted due to a major change in the company's direction.
Pros
the family atmosphere
Cons
often long hours accumulated during various phases of restructre
Catalogue Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 8, 2015
My typical day at work at Sears was scanning incoming parcels/merchandise for customer pick-up. Also doing the morning report (daily sales) and opening the tills. Preparing the counter for display, etc. Serving customers and helping them purchase items from catalogue and on-line. Performing cash/debit transactions with customers and credit card purchases and returns. Answering switchboard and telephone inquiries from outside customers and other Sears stores. Internal calls from staff and taking deposits for night deposit and preparing store for closing. Closing till and preparing to close the counter at store closing. Closing till and taking all deposits for the night deposit.
Pros
Good people contact; I enjoyed serving customers
Cons
Minimum wage (raises were minimal) and working weekends most of the time.
A team-oriented work environment with engaged and creative colleagues
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2015
Sears Canada is a wonderful place to work. The environment is one in which colleagues are encouraged to be fully engaged, and are offered many opportunities to participate by contributing to the betterment of the company. There are a lot of fun, and team building events within the company. It really does feel like you are part of one big family all striving toward the common core values. Once a week you will have an opportunity to engage your team members and discuss successes, and ideas. I've learned that the environment you work in makes all the difference in the world. The people I work with within the company are caring, understanding, and very talented.
Pros
Great Benefits, including Vacation, Great work out facility
Cons
Limited food items in the cafeteria
excellent management guidance and great co-workers, loved Commission Sales, very rewarding
Commission Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, OnOctober 13, 2015
loved working for Sears, great working environment with co-workers, commission sales and helped customer with decorating choices at store and off-site at customers homes, built a real relationship with my clients to build repeat business and referrals. With the Managers guidance and great leadership we became the top sears store for $11 million in Sales. Trained new sales co-workers, and did teaching, training for St Lawrence School students night classes in Sears store location for three years voluntarily on my own time. Excellent in Customer Service.
Pros
great fullfilling expperience with clients, great management team
Cons
open everyday but xmas day so long hours but very financially rewarding
Very interesting and fulfilling to join this top company.
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2012
I believe in Sears commitment to each and every employees. By just creating jobs, it already helps people reach their goals of reaching their dreams, not only for themselves but also for their families. At the same time, Sears provides quality products for its customers, gives them full satisfactions in their choices of merchandises.

Also, I can observe a very good team building, and how management took good care of its people by seeing that upkeeping of good health is being observed by its employees.

It was a job that has to compete with other companies in term of providing quality products, but with the best people inside, it was a just an arm away from being the best company in the market.
Pros
free food during christmas parties
Cons
long standing hours
great people, fun with work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2012
worked in the luggage dept ,i really liked this often i would be assisting customers with their purchases and would have other customers make their decision from what they heard i was telling customer i was waiting on( very cool,) got many customer comments about how good my customer service was, I took pride in selling the customer the best quality luggage,and the accessories needed.i also worked in accessories and childrens wear where i often had a hand in the ordering of strollers and such for childrens dept.I have always had the priviledge of having great co workers the hardest part was not having people cooperating with others , blocking stock ,not stock locating when neccessary,the best part being able to be myself, and having others enjoy my light hearted approach to life
Good company to work for with employee discount.
Authorization Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 19, 2012
I enjoyed working at Sears as an Authorization Officer. My responsibilities were responding to telephone inquiries from Sears Retail stores for upgrades on credit limits and entering new credit applications on the system.

I learned a great deal about credit and customer service which helped me in my job at Royal Bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to assist a client over the phone to add value during their shopping experience by increasing their credit to make a large purchase for appliances or furniture.

The morale in the department was good, and we had a very strong management team. The job came to an end in the summer of 2000 due to an amalgamation in BC.
Pros
good management. culture
Cons
no benefits part time hours