Sears

Sears Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun place to work
Merchandise Presentation Manager (Current Employee), Dieppe, NBMay 13, 2015
ffun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun un fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun
fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun
Loss-Prevention
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 11, 2015
Pros: Everyday was different, variety of responsibilities
Cons: Store closed so the position was not permanent
I enjoyed this position as it always offered something new and exciting everyday. I learned a great deal through hands on experience and was able to witness many new things that furthered my experience in customer service, and in handling emergency situations.
On a typical day I could be making an arrest due to a theft, handling an emergency situation that involved First-Aid, watching surveillance cameras, attending to a customer service issue, or inflicting the Trespass to Property Act. My team of co-workers and management were all extremely helpful towards one another and worked together in order to complete all the tasks at hand. This position is one that required team-work in many scenarios, especially when our own safety was put at risk.
Good people to work with
Sales Associate - Men's Wear, Ladies Wear & MPT (Former Employee), Cobourg, ONMay 10, 2015
Pros: Employee Discounts, Positive environment
Cons: Harassing customers at cash to get Sears Mastercard - pressure selling
Need to be an interactive 'people person' to do this job.
Need some sense of good fashion - colours, patterns, sizes
Great employee discounts
FUN WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Department Manager/ Shop Owner (Former Employee), stoney creekMay 6, 2015
• Leading and coaching sales team in achieving daily/monthly and yearly sales goals.
• Managing day to day business operations including scheduling, maintaining and merchandising department to company standards, hosting morning meetings, promoting credit, observing and coaching team and creating task sheets for associates and holding them accountable
• Participate in company health and safety program- completing monthly area inspections and monthly safety talks
poor sales, organization, communication with staff, unrealistic espectations for sales
COMMISSION SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Sears Carlingwood, OttawaMay 4, 2015
Cons: poor training, poor morale, poor communication with staff, unrealistic sales goals, grumpy customers and coworkers
I was hired with limited information about the sales conditions of the store. There are few customers, mostly retired people. Big ticket customers would not buy unless there was a big discount sale price. Thus the sales price and commission was 30 to 60% of regular price. Commission sales associates, at least in the furniture department, live on minimum wage most of the time.
A tough deal, with little to no sales training.
good work place
Customer service checkouts/returns (Former Employee), erin mills town centreMay 4, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: disrespectful customers
typical day would consist of either opening / closing cash registers depend on what shift.
helping customers check out / price check / find item etc
learned to better my communication skills
terrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEMay 4, 2015
Pros: pay for rapids
Cons: management
zero mutual respect in the workplace, management bullies everybody. they dont appreciate anything just want more more more
Productive fast paced workplace lots of opportunity to meet new people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Surrey BCMay 2, 2015
Pros: 25% off merchandise
Cons: No free lunch
Co workers are very helpful work as a team. The hardest part of the job is stressing when no one is there to help you with a task you have never done before and you are expected to do it first time on your own. This causes stress and anxiety making me want to do my job correctly without having to screw up. The most rewarding part of my job is when i get a task completed and a customer is happy with what I have done and appreciate my customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 2, 2015
Pros: fast paced
Cons: my boss, huge work load, little pay
I loved working for sears there where so many tasks to complete and it kept me busy. I worked all around sears in any department I was needed in but mostly in men's wear. it was awesome but men are very messy and the pay was very low. and my manager was not very nice but I helped her out as much as she needed
Very exciting place to work and comfortable work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), RichmondMay 2, 2015
Sears is excellent in providing customer service training and basic cash register training. Management is also very nice and easy going
fun work place
Sales / Cashier (Former Employee), torontoApril 30, 2015
Gets busy fast, customers have different request so i was always ready to help. My Co-workers always was friendly to one another. The most part about my job i enjoyed was the customers that came in every day… I Love to help people and see them smile as they leave.
Sears Canada
Service Technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2015
Pros: Travel to work sites, different every day
Cons: Slow periods in work load
Worked from 8 to 4, go to building at 8 to pickup day's orders and parts, called customers, proceeded to individual residences to complete the work orders. End of day, called in completion status and placed part orders
Enjoyed the group of people I worked with at Sears.
Okay work environment with too many problems
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: discount 25%
Cons: unstable environment
Managers were very demanding of employees to sign customers up with a credit card. If you did not sell enough credit cards they would put you up for a probationary period and employees who had been there 20+ years were at risk of losing their job.
Overall; not a good work environment. The company is losing revenue and putting all the pressure on the employees.

Most of the employees are friendly and amazing which help make up for the lack of attention to what needs to be done to make the company successful.
Fun place to work, not sure of outcome
Clinique Counter Manager (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 23, 2015
I was working at Sears while many changes were taking place, such as cosmetics being pulled out of the department. I was scared for my job security and returned to school.
A depressing and confusing environment with no clear future plan for business and employees
Senior Manager-Quality Programs (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 22, 2015
I was in charge of many different things since Sears is in downsizing mode and there were not many staff. I liked two of my projects there since I was completely in charge and I perform the best when I have full authority and own the project. Both projects were great success.
Stagnant company
Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee), mississaugaApril 22, 2015
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: no growth
Systems were all outdated.

Loved working with the public and assisting them.

People were great but there was a huge disconnect with upper management and front line managers.

Upper management thought the were better and knew more than what the front line managers experienced.

No surprise that Sears is closing down all locations.
I felt that this company helped me stretch and grow as a person, and to reach higher.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEApril 21, 2015
Pros: we got a discount at Sears.
Cons: no full time administrator, so sometimes the communication was not very good.
In every work area in my life i have been able to look back and see what i have learned and how i have grown as a person and as a professional. I believe we can learn something from everyone.I worked in a very high pase environment, where we worked as a team to accomplish the stores goals. My husband got a new job so i stopped working and helped him.
good, but not for long
Buying Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 20, 2015
It is a good company to work for to get industry/ corerate experience but you always have to keep a look out for other opportunities because there is not enough advancement or security
Very friendly environment.
Sales associate. (Former Employee), SCARBOROUGH ONApril 20, 2015
I had a part time job which I enjoyed. The supervisor and colleagues were supportive and friendly. It was a good experience working with a team of highly professional colleagues.
If you like doing makeup, you will hate this job
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), peterboroughApril 19, 2015
Pros: some of the co workers were nice

Cons: was not treated like a human being by managers. If you try your hardest, it is never good enough. You have to sell credit cards, but unless you get used to working their computers, it's impossible to do until your training is done. you are on commission block for two weeks. the other associates make money off your sales. Be careful when applying that it isn't in conjunction with any gift with purchase events, as they will just have you doing gofer work the whole time with little to no training, and they will fire you when gift is done. it actually has nothing to do with beauty and everything to do with making money off of people. Be prepared to cry three times per week, at least.

No training. No help. No encouragement.

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more