Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,327 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work
Merchandising Presentation Team (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 9, 2016
A typical work day consists of putting out stock, cleaning assigned department, merchandising of clothes, marking down products to clearance, re-merchandising of clearance, and weekly sale set-up and take down. I have learned a lot about the ins and outs of retail merchandising in the two and a half years at Sears and really enjoy working in a team environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers and my co-workers.
Pros
great management team, christmas party, staff bbq's
Cons
not enough hours
Out of touch with Customer needs
Manager Hardware, Fitness and Outdoor Power (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very poor morale in the Stores. Most Stores look half empty as they have discontinued so many lines. The Staff have not had a raise in almost ten years,
Pros
Good Staff discount
Alright for people who enjoy comission work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMarch 2, 2016
To work successfully at Sears you need to sell a certain amount of their credit cards and most people shopping their already have one so its usually a miss. If you aren't a pushy sales person this job isn't for you. I liked the staff for the most part and management was okay. I was hired in a group with 3 other people and I believe we all were let go for not selling enough cards.
Pros
long breaks, good location, quiet setting
Cons
unfriendly people, stressful
Catalogue Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 8, 2015
My typical day at work at Sears was scanning incoming parcels/merchandise for customer pick-up. Also doing the morning report (daily sales) and opening the tills. Preparing the counter for display, etc. Serving customers and helping them purchase items from catalogue and on-line. Performing cash/debit transactions with customers and credit card purchases and returns. Answering switchboard and telephone inquiries from outside customers and other Sears stores. Internal calls from staff and taking deposits for night deposit and preparing store for closing. Closing till and preparing to close the counter at store closing. Closing till and taking all deposits for the night deposit.
Pros
Good people contact; I enjoyed serving customers
Cons
Minimum wage (raises were minimal) and working weekends most of the time.
Worst job I have ever had
Sales (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 19, 2016
from day one you can tell it's a sinking ship. Badly behaved co workers and management. Toxic environment. One sales person called another's wife ugly, whose response was to pull a knife and threaten to kill him. They both kept heir jobs. I was almost on a fist fight over $0.30 Commission I accidentally stole. It was the second incidence of violence that my co worker had been invoked in, they still kept their job. They need to be gone from the Canadian busness landscape, terrible company.
Truck Day
Customer Service Representative/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONJune 8, 2016
Truck would come in on Tuesday and Thursday and usually around 3-3:30pm. Once the truck would arrive, I would scan and unload customer or catalogue orders and place them in the customer pick up area. Depending on how many orders were loaded, a typical time frame would be and hour to hour and a half. The worst part of unloading customer orders would be all the major appliances or fitness due to the weight. During that time, customers would come in a pick up their items from past trailers or i would have to go pick up an item from the sales floor. Once that is complete, i would match the correct tag to the customers receipt, file and then contact the customers letting them know that their items have arrived and ready for pickup. Later on i would go and help the rest of the tem unload the rest of the trailer.
Normal workplace with normal people
Merchandise Presentation Team, Furniture Team (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 11, 2016
Some days would just be a handful of us unpacking and assembling reclining chairs, tables, and couches. The occasional wrapping of something to send downstairs for a customer to pick-up. Other days we were moving heavy fixtures and organizing them so they could be picked up by whoever purchased them after the store closed. So it was easy one day and tiring another.

Management was good. They worked with us when there was a lot to be done and gave extended breaks on several occasions. Co-workers were in a variety of age groups with various personalities. I ended up working with other men close to my age due to the nature of the work. Had one lazy guy with us but the others were reliable and amiable.
Pros
Fair management
Cons
Disorganization
Sears Canada
Senior Merchandiser Operations Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale/BarrieOctober 23, 2015
Great people to work with, But work life balance is out the window, Really well compensated. Alot of Politics and stress with the organization.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Expected to work long hours
Productive and busy place to work in
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 7, 2016
Usually the shift starts at 5am in the morning, and begins with 3 people. One of them including me, the two co-workers with me are kind and cooperative, hard working as well that uses time efficiently and effectively. Hardest part of the job is making it on time to finish the delivered skids to us in a set amount of time, but the most enjoyable part of the job is when everything gets done on time. You sense the feeling of accomplishment after such a busy morning.
Pros
flexible shifts, can socialize a bit, kind managers, cool co-workers, hours given when asked
Cons
small space to move around, equipment won't work at times, unorganized workplace
Amazing place to work with positive work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 22, 2016
Sears was a great employer for me. I got to learn improve many of my skills such as, customer service, sales, time management, and cash handling skills. The management there was very friendly and supportive. Employees would go the extra mile to teach you the tips and tricks needed to do better at the job.
Horrible company
MPT (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I worked for this company for last couple years and i don't have nothing nice to say. I was part of MP Team, it was fun place to work when we had a good leader, nice, friendly and approachable person somebody who knows her job. She left and somebody else took over and everything went downhill and your job started to be very stressful, people started to quit, job can't be done because they don't have people or new people don't have proper training and they don't know what to do, but there is no understandings from management, they keep their eyes closed or their going call you to the office for a lecture, hours are very bad one shift per week or two, MPT starts their shift at 5 a.m. not fun at all, Thursday is signs day and it is a horrible day, you can't go for break or home until signing is done and because they don't have people that takes time, no wonder nobody wants to stay. no hours, bad management, horrible leader, very pushy, not friendly, not approachable, rude, a lot of work waiting to be done but they don't have hours or people. So my point is spare yourself a lot of stress and go find somewhere else same job because It is not worth it..sorry Sears.
Pros
very nice, friendly co-workers
Cons
bad management, bad hours, very demanding job
fun workplace and flexible shifts, management very co-operative
beauty Advisor, counter-manager (Former Employee) –  Sears BramaleaJune 7, 2016
Day starts with a daily morning meeting reconizing top performances and met sales targets. Once the store opens, everyone comes out from behind the counters to greet customers. Co-workers are very supportive and co-operative. Hardest part of the job is when its not busy and you've got big targets to meet. However everyone helps one another without being too focused on their own counter or commission. When there's a customer that needs help, anyone available helps. The part I love the most about this job is meeting new people everyday and doing makeup on customers.
Busy but good management and a professional Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 5, 2016
Good Management, busy in the office. Hardest part is not enough hours for their employees.
I learned data entry and the delivery system. I learned how the catalogue system works. Most enjoyable part of work is having Galas and prizes every few weekends
My Experience
Parts Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  2200 Islington Ave., Etobicoke, OntarioJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at Sears Parts and Service starts off quietly with a few customers. There are many duties the store itself requires. The staff members are allocated to their sections and the store display is maintained throughout their working day; signage is adjacent to the merchandise regular and sale prices; researching or returning part selections and point of sale entries.

The Sears culture of commitment, and customer loyalty takes priority as low or high volume of customers enter the store.

I learned a management position requires much studious dedication starting with customer concerns, store presentation, point if sale reports, scheduling, and most importantly employee coaching.

The biggest adjustment for work in progress. There are goals and future deadlines

The future deadlines I have trouble excepting, as a developed attitude of finishing what I started by not putting off until tomorrow ensues.
Pros
I don't sit stationary, I move around
Cons
swiping out, when a future dated project is incompleted
Great People, understanding management, however hours may flunctuate
Shipping and Receiving associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2015
I've been hired at Sears due to a friends employment recommendation. The management at my location is very understanding towards any problems that may arise and will always try to resolve any conflicts in the workplace.
The hours are also very flexible; if you need time off then you can probably get it simply by notifying managements a week ahead of time!
Work can be a little overwhelming labour wise considering the minimum wage salary they pay but it's bearable due to the fact you get to spend the day with some great co-workers. Hours can fluctuate between 8- 40 hours a week depending on the season and availability. If you're looking for a stable/steady part time job then I suggest maybe looking elsewhere but if you're just looking for some extra cash and work experience then look no further!
Pros
Safety, Flexibility, Caring, Social Outings
Cons
Unstable work hours
Boring and repetitive you will do the exact same thing for all the years you are at sears
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
At sears our department was basically the kicking bag for all the other departments. We unboxed and checked all the items before scanning them onto the shelves. Some days other departments would be overloaded so we sent some people from our department to help. The problem with that was we then didnt get our own work done. Not once in the few years I worked there did any other department have a single person return the favour and help our department, Sears is just horribly managed by managers that sit in their offices all day to chat with eachother. They only surface from their office to tell someone off if they are below quota. This quota of course never took into account if items were too large to do more than a few an hour. So if you work here pray the forklift driver doesn't just give you all the sheet sets and 12 packs of shoes(12 shoe boxes only count as 1 item).
Pros
free lunch at christmas
Cons
mismanaged and long boring work
It was a fun place to work because of the great Staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Very busy at the cash desk, which I loved.
Had to learn how to use very old cash registers.
Management was not very supportive.
My co-workers where awesome, everyone got along
It was very hard to sell there credit cards.
The most enjoyable part was the customers, they were a lot of fun and interesing.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
Management had head office problems that trickled down to staff.
This was by far the best place of Employment for me
Bussiness Buying Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Sears HQB, was an amazing place to work the Vendor's where great the buyers management, each and every single person I worked with was just amazing..

At Sears I didn't do Vendor collection so I can't say that I had any issues at all, It was an amazing place to work...

There was room for advancement however when I made the move there was a hiring freeze and another opportunity presented itself..
Pros
Also very flexable
Cons
The travel downtown, when there was subway issues I would be stuck for hours some days..
Sears was fun to work at because there is so many employees to help you out when you need it.
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 19, 2016
Every day i worked was making sure the floor was clean, tasks were done, and customers where helped. The management at sears was absolutely amazing, they were honestly the nicest people i have ever met. The co-workers worked well with each other and got along really well. The hardest part of the job was when the shoes went on clearance and we had to take them out of the box and arrange them on the tables how the head office told us to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with all the customers and making sure they are happy with the service i was giving them.
Retail Environment
Business Development Lead (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 25, 2016
I managed the staff in Major Appliances, Furniture and Home Entertainment areas. The biggest part of the job was to make sure my staff was happy and needed everything to do their jobs. I always tried to take into account things that were going in their lives when i scheduled their hours.

Learned to deal with employee issues and customer issues.

Hardest part of the job was never knowing what hours you were going to work.Also for me was having to sell merchandise.

I enjoyed the challenges that every day brought.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Evening and weekend shifts

2.9