Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,372 reviews matching the search
My Experience
Parts Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  2200 Islington Ave., Etobicoke, OntarioJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at Sears Parts and Service starts off quietly with a few customers. There are many duties the store itself requires. The staff members are allocated to their sections and the store display is maintained throughout their working day; signage is adjacent to the merchandise regular and sale prices; researching or returning part selections and point of sale entries.

The Sears culture of commitment, and customer loyalty takes priority as low or high volume of customers enter the store.

I learned a management position requires much studious dedication starting with customer concerns, store presentation, point if sale reports, scheduling, and most importantly employee coaching.

The biggest adjustment for work in progress. There are goals and future deadlines

The future deadlines I have trouble excepting, as a developed attitude of finishing what I started by not putting off until tomorrow ensues.
Pros
I don't sit stationary, I move around
Cons
swiping out, when a future dated project is incompleted
Sears Review
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONAugust 1, 2016
Opening cash registers and preparing for opening. Making sure I am stocked with bags and other items needed for the day.

Serving customers to the best of my ability. Helping them make decisions on the items they need.

My co workers are fabulous..we are great working as a team.

Management is thin so we are counted on to handle issues ourselves if possible.

Hardest part of my job is if we dont have what the customer needs.Trying to satisfy there need with out product is sometimes hard.

Most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a customer happy and pleased with their purchase.
Improving communication skills at sears
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2016
As the first experience in Canada, I started to learn the "working culture" and improving my communication skills

I learned the best way of transferring daily/monthly tasks from General Manager to a team and getting excellent result

I did many store opening/closing which was great opportunity to feel as store manager with leading various managers and staff to achieve one target

Passing internal training to have better customer service and preparing a great place for shopping
Pros
Enough training
Cons
Company financial sitiuation
Productive and great work environment
IT Support Specialist, (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2016
• Procure and setup new desktops/laptops; perform problem diagnosis on desktop/laptop issues and execute fixes to ensure that desktops and laptops are operating correctly
• Management is focused on operations of the organization's IT environment, including servers, network equipment, and phones
• Co-workers are great team players
• Hardest part of the job was pager support
• The most enjoyable part of the job was troubleshooting resolving an issue or completing a project
Pros
Variety of Cafeterias
Cons
productive and fun place to work
heavy duity mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2015
Built drilling rigs for the oil company's
very hard work but very rewarding
Pay there was good
benefits were pretty good
Pros
exelant pay
Cons
very long hours
Normal workplace with normal people
Merchandise Presentation Team, Furniture Team (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 11, 2016
Some days would just be a handful of us unpacking and assembling reclining chairs, tables, and couches. The occasional wrapping of something to send downstairs for a customer to pick-up. Other days we were moving heavy fixtures and organizing them so they could be picked up by whoever purchased them after the store closed. So it was easy one day and tiring another.

Management was good. They worked with us when there was a lot to be done and gave extended breaks on several occasions. Co-workers were in a variety of age groups with various personalities. I ended up working with other men close to my age due to the nature of the work. Had one lazy guy with us but the others were reliable and amiable.
Pros
Fair management
Cons
Disorganization
fun workplace and flexible shifts, management very co-operative
beauty Advisor, counter-manager (Former Employee) –  Sears BramaleaJune 7, 2016
Day starts with a daily morning meeting reconizing top performances and met sales targets. Once the store opens, everyone comes out from behind the counters to greet customers. Co-workers are very supportive and co-operative. Hardest part of the job is when its not busy and you've got big targets to meet. However everyone helps one another without being too focused on their own counter or commission. When there's a customer that needs help, anyone available helps. The part I love the most about this job is meeting new people everyday and doing makeup on customers.
Sears Canada
Senior Merchandiser Operations Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale/BarrieOctober 23, 2015
Great people to work with, But work life balance is out the window, Really well compensated. Alot of Politics and stress with the organization.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Expected to work long hours
Productive and extremely fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 21, 2016
Working as a Waitress always felt rewarding. I learned how to coordinate a professional manner under high pressure, maintain cleanliness at a high degree and last but definitely not least... interact with guests positively. Management at the workplace was absolutely excellent due to superb channeling of communication between the Manager and other waitresses. Plans were strongly developed to ensure guests and coworkers were happy. Hence, I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Plus, it definitely made it easy for all waitresses to maintain a positive, professional and energetic manner no matter what conditions or atmosphere we had to face. Next, the hardest part of my job was taking special precautions for guests due to allergies. On a positive note, the most enjoyable part of the job was exceeding guests' expectations and dealing with complaints using strong leadership skills and team effort.
Pros
Free meals including dessert
Cons
Juggling large trays of food in tight spaces
A decent job for a while
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
Sears was OK to work for. I was technically part-time, but pushed about 33-36 hours a week working at minimum wage doing customer service. The largest benefit was that I had a manageable work/life balance, and the work was stead for a time.

The bad parts were that management was effectively neutered by policy. They were completely held back in terms of prompt and meaningful customer service (i.e. parts ordering, faulty appliances and their associated warranty, willingness to adapt to change). Likewise, they had a strange emphasis on a corporate culture that basically worked like an Ayn Rand fan-fic: stores were pitted against each other and competitiveness established available working hours, workplace mantras were hammered into you in order to develop some weird sense of spirit.

Plain and simple, they provide a good place to work while you look for other places to work.
Pros
Some group lunches, decent hours, good work/life balance
Cons
Strange culture, neutered management, backwards customer service policy
Decent Job, Not Very Good Wage or Work/Life Balance
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day at Sears Canada is short-lived. I worked on the merchandising team and typically most of the staff is part-timers as Sears Canada is moving away from full-time status positions as it is cheaper to hire several part-timers versus full-timers. You would typically be only scheduled during truck days and a day prior to advertisement set-up (changing signs in the store to reflect next day sales). Usually you get anywhere from 1-8 skids daily with merchandise that needs to be stocked. There is usually 1 individual in each department stocking product whereas 2 in larger departments like men's or women's fashions. There is quite a lot of pressure on you to finish quickly in short 4-6 hour shifts as it is rare getting a full shift during the day.

Learned about the various sales during the Sears Canada calendar year such as Sears Days, Clearance Sales, and etc. Used the computer terminal to search products up and typically can see if the product is going to be on sale within a 2-week period.

I had 1 Manager and 1 Supervisor. My manager was really experienced and knowledgeable about her job and had no problems interacting with her. I had no problems with my supervisor either.

Excellent co-workers. Many of the older co-workers in-charge of various departments were very knowledgeable and were able to teach and educate me very well when I began working at Sears Canada during my first few weeks.

The hardest part of the job was being guaranteed enough hours on a weekly basis.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to manage my own department. I was
  more... in charge of the Housewares department and assisted several other departments once all job tasks and duties were completed.

The wage wasn't really good during my time of employment. It was $10.25 for the 3 years I was employed there and Sears Canada did not have yearly raises.

There wasn't much opportunities for job advancement considering the few number of positions that were available.
Boring and repetitive you will do the exact same thing for all the years you are at sears
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
At sears our department was basically the kicking bag for all the other departments. We unboxed and checked all the items before scanning them onto the shelves. Some days other departments would be overloaded so we sent some people from our department to help. The problem with that was we then didnt get our own work done. Not once in the few years I worked there did any other department have a single person return the favour and help our department, Sears is just horribly managed by managers that sit in their offices all day to chat with eachother. They only surface from their office to tell someone off if they are below quota. This quota of course never took into account if items were too large to do more than a few an hour. So if you work here pray the forklift driver doesn't just give you all the sheet sets and 12 packs of shoes(12 shoe boxes only count as 1 item).
Pros
free lunch at christmas
Cons
mismanaged and long boring work
Working in retail always creates a sense of challenge.
Administrative Assistant/Catalogue Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 1, 2016
Sears has always provided a fair, cooperative environment to work in. The management team is comprised of a well rounded group of people who offer their assistance and are team oriented.
In the business of retail, change is a daily occurrence. New programs are implemented, along with new policies. Being adaptable is key. Camaraderie is a valuable asset, as being a part of a team, one must be able to connect with, and offer ideas to create a better working environment.
Negativity is not tolerated as it only generates non-productive employees.
The most difficult aspect of the job is always trying to keep ahead of any changes that may affect the customer/employee relationship. In order to provide excellent service, one must offer knowledgeable service.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to connect and interact with our customers as each and every one presents a new challenge, which creates an working environment that is constantly evolving.
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Short shifts, scattered throughout the workweek.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 22, 2016
A typical day consists of helping customers on the floor, cleaning the tables and making sure everything is hung accordingly as well as assisting customers in the fitting room. I learned about attention to detail from working at sears. There was an amicable comradery between managers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to find what the customer wants in store whereas the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to brighten their day.
Retail Environment
Business Development Lead (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 25, 2016
I managed the staff in Major Appliances, Furniture and Home Entertainment areas. The biggest part of the job was to make sure my staff was happy and needed everything to do their jobs. I always tried to take into account things that were going in their lives when i scheduled their hours.

Learned to deal with employee issues and customer issues.

Hardest part of the job was never knowing what hours you were going to work.Also for me was having to sell merchandise.

I enjoyed the challenges that every day brought.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Evening and weekend shifts
Working for Sears
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  cornwall centre, Regina SKJune 15, 2016
-Typically my day involved opening a cash register and looking amazing. i sold vacuums the most as more vacuum customers were present than mattress customers. when you sell a mattress you go through a long process and sometimes complicated to handle operating system to order in the mattress and schedule a delivery.
-i learned in depth exactly how a vacuum is created how the machine works and which brands are good quality and which are "money-grabs" I developed sometimes lengthy relationships with customers in order to find the right mattress on the right budget and i was very appreciated every time.
-My direct manager was good and credible but the heart of sears has turned it's moral compass.
-i worked with an amazing set of people all who had lots of experience to share and stories to tell as most were 40-55 years of age.
-The hardest part of my job was learning the systems, they were from the 1940's and i've learned code like javex so that's saying something/
-The most enjoyable part of my job was how thankful everyone was that i knew my products to a tee and was such and understanding person. i usually received a couple job offers a month!
A very productive and a friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 29, 2016
Throughout my years as a Customer Service Representative at Sears I have gained a lot of interpersonal skills and a clear knowledge on customer care. Sears has given me the opportunity to build positive relationships with my co-workers and the management team. Overall, It has been a rewarding experience in which I take much pride in. I hope to enhance my extensive skills and be a great asset to my future employers.
Sears was fun to work at because there is so many employees to help you out when you need it.
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 19, 2016
Every day i worked was making sure the floor was clean, tasks were done, and customers where helped. The management at sears was absolutely amazing, they were honestly the nicest people i have ever met. The co-workers worked well with each other and got along really well. The hardest part of the job was when the shoes went on clearance and we had to take them out of the box and arrange them on the tables how the head office told us to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with all the customers and making sure they are happy with the service i was giving them.
steady paced and fun
SALES ASSOCIATE - shoe department (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMay 9, 2016
- A typical day was spent on my feet, talking with customers and giving footwear advise.

- I learned that i can carry 6 boxes of shoes at once, and also enhanced my multitasking skills.

- Management was great, they were always there to help when thet were needed the most.

- My co-workers made the job fantastic, they were nice and helpful.

- The hardest part of my job was when the department got very busy and i was the only one around.

- I enjoyed being able to talk to people all day and being able to help people.
Pros
Great staff, great management.
Cons
slow periods were VERY slow
working at sears was satisfactory
Cashier/ Retail Sales Representive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
On given days, during the early hours you will fine me speaking to people, finding out proactively what there priorities are for the week, making sure the task at hand is done. My co-workers where team players they make sure the task is always done and on time. The hardest part of the job was when costumers come for a certian product and we didnt have the product. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing costumers happy an my co-workers.
Pros
Cons
cut hours

2.9