Sears
6,328 reviews

Sears Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A fun place to work and great customers.
.Logistics (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 13, 2014
Pros: lots of good people work there..
Cons: no room for advancement because there are too many cutbacks to the full-timers and sales leads
I learned great customer service skills as well as inventory taking and logistics. I taught customers how to use their sewing machines and sergers. Management is not the best and the company as a whole is going down the tubes. Upper management only look out for the share holders and not the front line workers.
Fun and friendly place to work.
CSD Associate (Former Employee), YorkdaleMarch 12, 2014
Pros: discount on merchandise
Cons: the pay
A typical day would start with opening several registers, attending morning meeting, do a walk through so you know what on sales.

I have learned patience (this location was closing and had lots of sale) customers drove us nuts but we handle in professional.

Had a great manager who was always available. Had some of the most amazing Co-workers.

The – more... hardest part was when we were short staff and the store was busy and we had rude customers. The most enjoyable part was when we have returning customers who just wanted to say hello and wish us well. Also just to sit with some of co-workers and have lunch – less
Good
MH4 (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2014
Busy place to work, fast paced, a lot going on

The best part of working there is driving the machinery and working with good people
Enjoyed my years at work
Owner/Operator (Former Employee), ONMarch 11, 2014
Day to day challenges kept the job interesting.Customers are what made the job most enjoyable.
Amazing workplace with hardworking individuals
Administrative Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee), Eaton CentreMarch 10, 2014
Helping customers with their needs, always new things to learn and ways to improve yourself and those around you. The management team was very helpful. The hardest part of my job is when I am unable to help a person with a reasonable request.
na
Customer service (Former Employee), toronto ontarioMarch 7, 2014
excellent company unfortunately due to lay offs looking for a new job
fun place
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), pickering ontarioMarch 7, 2014
Pros: store discount
Cons: weekend hrs
fun place to work for. Lots of team activities.

Very busy location
at the time we were the largest home improvement company in Canada
DSM - ISM (Former Employee), thunder bay, wpg, saskatoon, regina, northern ontMarch 7, 2014
Pros: well known company name
Cons: handed a $200, 000, 000 busniess to a $20, 000 company
-provide the best customer service in the industry (customers for life)
-on going market share gain
-on going product & selling training
-on line management training available
-set market pricing vs national standardized pricing
-on going acceptable GP
-"hand picked" installation crews
-ongoing training for sales associates
-excellent financial options – more... for customers
-wide selection of product names from HVAC to roofing product
-exposure in all major markets with on going expansion – less
good company with good benefit
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2014
It is peaceful when working there, coworkers are nice and helpful. Management is ok. The wage is not as good as the bay, maybe due to the situation they are facing. But there benefit is way better than the bay. It is better for a person who wants a stable job with good benefit.
Decent Pay...that's about it.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), BurnabyMarch 6, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: long hours, no work life balance, continually decreasing benefits.
Sears was not a fun place to work at. Upon being hired, I needed to lay off 32 individuals. Not fun. That was not the end though...in all, as most now know, Sears Home Services is closing it's doors. Sad as there are ALOT of great individuals working here and the powers that be...do NOT listen to the staff. C'est La Vie.
Good working environment, Great team and great manager
Market Research Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2014
I absolutely love my current role but as an employee at Sears, there is no clear understanding of the direction as to where the company is heading.
Lead the store team to meet metrics and business needs. I was a viable person in the growth and development of employees.
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: developing employees to reach their potential.
Cons: dealing with conflict with peers that were not cooperating with business needs.
I lead the store team to meet business needs and daily metrics required. I worked closely with the store manager and was in charge of all his duties as well as my own when he was away. I was a viable part of growing and developing talent of the employees for promotional purposes and to meet the daily needs of the business.
Interesting place to work and receive work experience
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: good training coworkers and team leaders
Cons: not centrally located, very little room for expansion or advancement.
Good training ground for retail, interesting days and clientele. Management is very facilitating and helpful with training and creating a family, team supportive environment.
Good Benefits
Sales Team Lead (Former Employee), Peterborough OntarioMarch 2, 2014
Pros: nil
Cons: nil
Good Pension Plan, Good Benefits
Great Co Workers
Learned Time Management, Scheduling, Computer Entry, Procedures and Policies
Cash Balancing and Auditing
Purchase Orders, Supply Control
Independant HVAC Contractor
Service Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 2, 2014
Pros: wide scope of work
Cons: piece work
Commercial and residential gas fitter type of work offered. Helpful and friendly guys to work with.
Store enviroment very pleasant
Department Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: good staff discount, good benefits
Cons: lack of breaks during shifts
Managers expected to be on the floor working with associates , answering pages to assist at all Cash desks , responding to Duty Manager calls both in-store and outside customer calls , carrying Department phones , in addition , to daily paperwork .Work load at times too heavy , Manager and co -workers were very supportive of each other in the store – more... in which I worked .
The most enjoyable part of my job was enabling my Department to work together and achieve our goals as a part of a team . – less
Awesome co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: co-workers, discount
Cons: lack of hours, management, lack of feedback
Co-Workers turned into a work family, giving you someone to turn to. Some department managers rude and nit-picky, store management out of touch with employees. Positive feedback was rarely given, and favorites were chosen often.
Unmotivated and lack lustre
Portrait Photographer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: working with children?
Cons: slow hardware. broken or failing equipment. out of date equipment. poor upper management.
For a company (CPI Corp) that advertises capturing the big moments in life, it doesn't do much to make that value apparent.

Operations seem more interested in revenue than the happiness of the client and the quality of the job being done. Upper management doesn't understand that the Sears studios don't work the same way as Walmart studios.

The props – more... and backgrounds are severely out of date, as does the software that employees absolutely require to do a good, time-efficient job (the computers are still running Windows XP, and 98). – less
Great place to work but no long term!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, OntarioFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: the customers you help.
Cons: minimum wage, but that's hardly a complaint.
I loved working at Sears. It was a wonderful place to work with an amazing environment. Everyone I knew was so happy and cheerful but management was always a little sour faced. Regardless, the job culture was wonderful and if it wasn't for the lack of job security due to the fact that Sears is now closing, it would still be a wonderful place to work – more... at. – less
Hard Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCFebruary 22, 2014
Everyone was friendly and hard working people.

The hardest part of the job was to work from evening till morning .

The most enjoyable part of the job is keep learning and growing as a person to do better and better as time keep going .

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more