Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,420 reviews matching the search
Great coworkers and understanding departmental managers
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
I worked with great coworkers and management was very understanding. We had strict goals that involved signing customers up for the Sears Credit Card and Sears Mastercard. Sales goals were celebrated and praised across the store.

Our manager was very understanding and sympathetic.
Pros
Good atmosphere among coworkers
Cons
Often work alone
Retail Company
Network Administrator - Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Retail Company with approximately 100 locations or more.
Supported the Company network infrastructure directly as a network administrator, dealing with day to day issues, and long term projects.

Company will fail before 2020.
Pros
store discount
Cons
low compensation rate, poor work culture, lack of advancement, rrsp plan was weak
Productive and great work environment
IT Support Specialist, (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
• Procure and setup new desktops/laptops; perform problem diagnosis on desktop/laptop issues and execute fixes to ensure that desktops and laptops are operating correctly
• Management is focused on operations of the organization's IT environment, including servers, network equipment, and phones
• Co-workers are great team players
• Hardest part of the job was pager support
• The most enjoyable part of the job was troubleshooting resolving an issue or completing a project
Pros
Variety of Cafeterias
Great selling culture
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB8 November 2016
Great employees to work with .Management lacks team work and commodore .Good benefits and work /life balance is recognized and practised . The selling culture is one of honesty and product knowledge is passed on to customers.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low wages
Pay structure is just as dated as their stores!
Minion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alot of changes happening within sears canada right now. They are spending and have spent a fortune on "refreshes" none of which are getting customers to come into the stores. First of all. ..let's deal with the customer service 1-800 joke. As a curent employee, it is a daily battle on our end to fix what these so called customer service representatives do to our customers! Secondly, to get a raise with sears. ....HAHAHA. ...NOT A CHANCE!
Pros
Great associates
Cons
Horrible pay structure
My Experience
Parts Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  2200 Islington Ave., Etobicoke, Ontario12 July 2016
A typical day at Sears Parts and Service starts off quietly with a few customers. There are many duties the store itself requires. The staff members are allocated to their sections and the store display is maintained throughout their working day; signage is adjacent to the merchandise regular and sale prices; researching or returning part selections and point of sale entries.

The Sears culture of commitment, and customer loyalty takes priority as low or high volume of customers enter the store.

I learned a management position requires much studious dedication starting with customer concerns, store presentation, point if sale reports, scheduling, and most importantly employee coaching.

The biggest adjustment for work in progress. There are goals and future deadlines

The future deadlines I have trouble excepting, as a developed attitude of finishing what I started by not putting off until tomorrow ensues.
Pros
I don't sit stationary, I move around
Cons
swiping out, when a future dated project is incompleted
Wouldn't recommend
Buying Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Lack of planning and outside of the box thinking has held Sears back for decades. Talent comes and goes yet they can seem to change, as the senior management refuses to adopt to 21st century consumer expectations. Growth, culture... no more words necessary. Even with their more recent revamps on the brand, it's still not enough in the eyes of the consumer as the store experience remains constant.
Seasonal position
SALES ASSOCIATE-MEN'S WEAR (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 April 2016
A great team of hard working people that unfortunately was only a seasonal position. I enjoyed praise from management, co workers and customers.
The most difficult aspect was working with no training on cash or product knowledge.
It was enjoyable to go to work every day with self confidence in being able to give the correct information to customers and having them leave with a smile.
I learned that I am a quick learner and still very well suited to customer service.
Pros
Lovely customers and new challenges each day.
Cons
Having to teach myself the computer system and product knowledge
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 June 2016
A typical day consists of helping customers on the floor, cleaning the tables and making sure everything is hung accordingly as well as assisting customers in the fitting room. I learned about attention to detail from working at sears. There was an amicable comradery between managers and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to find what the customer wants in store whereas the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to brighten their day.
It was ok
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2016
No much customers, Lack of management, Lack of hours, no raises, lack of recognition. There was barely any training when you first start. But meet some associate that are very nice. Wouldn't pick sears as a career option.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
no growth
Great workplace environment with a great work and fellow employee relationship
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON31 October 2016
Busy when big sales and occasions arise
Not all days are predictable and many times your days of sales are dependent on the amount of effort you take in approaching customer service and sales.
Management have their own focus of areas and will occasionally step in to help outside of their designated areas
Co-workers in most part stay focused on their designated area but come together on other occasions
Hardest part of the job is trying to find solutions to bring in the customers in order to improve sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is on busy occasions to prepare for holidays and events. excitement for customers and the sales associates
Pros
decent discounts for employees
Cons
reduced work hours when there is a lack of business
Love my job, but the hours and the environment is...
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 November 2016
For the first two weeks, i was getting lots of hours and I loved that. But after that, i only get 5 hours a week. I talked to my manager 3 different times but the only thing she says is that's all she can give. But she and one of our team member who is her personal close friend would always be working together, and anything her friend says about the schedule, the manager approves which is unfair. And I see that they're still hiring when all they can give us, 2 new associates in her team, is either 4 or 5 hours. Although, I love my job, the hours go by really fast.
Pros
good salary, time goes by fast
Cons
max of 5 hours a week, personal relationships with team members affect the workplace
Fun work place
Store Director (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC4 October 2016
 Responsible of ten departments, seventy- five staffs, sales, financial and material resources and inventory.
 Provide a wide diversity of administrative services and customers services.
 In charge for the recruitment and selection process, job’s posting, interviews, tests, integration trainings, hiring, background and reference checks, employee’s schedules and payroll. Supervise, assign tasks, call meetings and mentor staff.
 Conduct performance evaluations, develop personalized action plans, manage internal and extern conflicts and customer’s complaints.
 Represent the company at various events and issues reports.
Pros
good team work
Productive Work Environment
Parts Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, Ontario10 July 2016

I learned a management position requires much studious dedication starting with customer concerns, store presentation, point of sale reports, scheduling, and most importantly employee coaching.

My biggest adjustment is balancing duties, requiring attention, and considered a work in progress. There are goals and future deadlines

The most enjoyable part of employment with Sears is the stimulus of
coaching, and suiting Customer service representatives with day to day functions
Pros
Linked team environment
Cons
Implementing a team environment when an employee puts and I into our work culture.
Sears Canada
Sales Support/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON5 October 2016
My typical day would be helping customers shop... I would be there for customers to ask questions and as I am very approachable I spent a lot of my day listening to customers and their needs and being able to help them have a successful and fun shopping experience at Sears. Having patience and kindness allows for extremely enjoyable environment to work in. The management within Sears was very organized, always accessible and easy to talk with.

I would have to say the hardest part of the job at Sears was probably in the quieter times as you really need the customers to bring the store to life.
Pros
Taking advantage of the sales.
Cons
It was only partime.
nice co-workers in shoe department, good supervisor
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 August 2016
no job security, the stability is unknown, could close at anytime. More stores are closing every month. I was good place to work, mostly positive workers but management is very unstable and appear to bee a little unorganized.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
not a lot of hours
Productive and kind workplce
Category Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
-A typical day involves checking emails, coordinating samples for marketing, setting up orders to be placed.
-I've learned a lot, including strong communication skills and how to work one on one as well as with a team.
-Management is great. They always have your back.
-My co-workers are friendly, kind and patient people.
-The hardest part of my job would be managing the different teams.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.
This was the worst place I have EVER worked.
Merchandise Flow Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 August 2016
To start of I am a little biased because in a about a month I will be on the street because of this company. I had been working there for over two years and it was generally okay considering Sears is slowly dying and the pay is low so they don't attract the best people that work there. But when I came into work and was told that my job was no more because o a "restructuring" I don't really know what goes through these corporate nuts heads but my job was merchandise flow and inventory so they have to replace me with someone else so how is that a restructuring? Thanks for nothing SEARS
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Disrespectful and rude management
Productive and friendly workplace.
Sales Associate - Appliances & Hardware Dept. (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON13 June 2016
Sears is a fun place to work; I worked in the hardware department for over four years as well as selling Major Appliances for a period of time.

Each day was quite interesting as new shipments arrived to be placed in inventory all the while welcoming and assisting the steady stream of customers who arrived daily searching for a host of different products available be it lawn tractors, mowers, appliances and much more. Product training was available and welcomed on all major products enabling sales associates to remain current and knowledgeable while discussing product features with customers. The more product training available, the more we learned.

Co-workers, as well as management in our respective departments, were very helpful and worked quite well together as we all had the same goal in mind; excellent customer service resulted in repeat customer business.

While there were no appreciable hard parts to the job, the most enjoyable part of being a member of the sales team at Sears was in welcoming customers, asking questions as well as answering all questions and, finally, assisting those customers with making their purchase.
Pros
Very nice people to work with; very friendly and helpful.
Cons
Job Security
Productive and happy workplace
Beauty Consultant for Clinque (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 October 2016
I have started working at Sears 3 years ago. Since I have been here, I have been promoted twice. I enjoy interacting with customers and ensuring that my customers have the best experience possible.
I get along very well with my customers, coworkers and the management team.
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the public. I love creating a fun, and educational experience for all of my clients in order to make sure they have the best experience possible
Pros
Interracting with customers

2.9