Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,131 reviews matching the search
Seasonal position
SALES ASSOCIATE-MEN'S WEAR (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 4, 2016
A great team of hard working people that unfortunately was only a seasonal position. I enjoyed praise from management, co workers and customers.
The most difficult aspect was working with no training on cash or product knowledge.
It was enjoyable to go to work every day with self confidence in being able to give the correct information to customers and having them leave with a smile.
I learned that I am a quick learner and still very well suited to customer service.
Pros
Lovely customers and new challenges each day.
Cons
Having to teach myself the computer system and product knowledge
Seasonal fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
This job had its ups and downs. I started as a seasonal employee and within a year was the manager. I enjoyed the photography and the energy needed during the seasonal peaks. The district management was regrettably not what I would consider a bonus to the company. I would've stayed with Sears portrait studio if the benefits and raises were better.
Pros
creativity
Cons
no benefits
Used to be great company to work for.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 6, 2016
The company is focus on short term plans, stop the bleeding now but not focusing on long terms company future. Without good plan just putting out fires every day, very reactive culture, too many management changes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long hours, too much travel
I worked in men's dress shop and men's wear
men's dress shop and men's wear (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoyed the job and had great satisfaction in my position . 3 other people were hired for this position in the last year. I was told I was doing a good job . Then the day after a big sale ,just after my first break was taken into an office and told I was no longer needed . I was escorted to my locker and to the door, I asked 3 times why . It took the manager of the store 3 weeks to call me and tell why I was let go. Reason was I was not aggressive enough with customers . Within two weeks my lead was fired and now they looking for new manager For the store . Management was terrible . The staff was great and wonderful to work with.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
terrible management
Good Product knowledge sharing, good public relations experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONMarch 16, 2016
Opening, serve customers, get parcels, process credit card payments, money transactions, balance books, welcome customers, share knowledge of products to make suitable decision of purchase, do bank deposit. If cash was out trying to find out why. Seeing happy customers that appreciate you taking the time to assist them.
Pros
Work schedule suited lifestyle, first retail experience.
Cons
No advancement worked both sides, heavy lifting, no benefits
Save your precious time, do not work at sears
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
Trust me when I say this, Sears is NOT a nice place to work. The management is extremely poor! The management is rude, they're judgmental, they don't let you take breaks (if you do, you get a warning), etc. My manager would constantly say "iffy" things about customers and their ethnicity... I HATED working with people like that. I hated going to work, and I couldn't wait to leave. The older people that have worked at sears for 20+ years are so old fashioned and think so negatively. It was honestly the worst place I've ever worked. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work at Sears. To top everything off, I have years of cosmetic experience, I have a certificate for makeup artistry and I've worked with some VERY talented and well-known people. SEARS ONLY WANTED TO PAY ME $11.50 and hour. practically minimum wage. Sears is a JOKE. I thought they'd be closed by now.

The BEST part about working at sears, was the newer and younger co-workers. We became very close friends.But you can find that at any other job.

A job is a job, I know, however I STRONGLY advise for people to stay away from Sears, you will be so miserable working there.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, treated horribly
A decent job for a while
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
Sears was OK to work for. I was technically part-time, but pushed about 33-36 hours a week working at minimum wage doing customer service. The largest benefit was that I had a manageable work/life balance, and the work was stead for a time.

The bad parts were that management was effectively neutered by policy. They were completely held back in terms of prompt and meaningful customer service (i.e. parts ordering, faulty appliances and their associated warranty, willingness to adapt to change). Likewise, they had a strange emphasis on a corporate culture that basically worked like an Ayn Rand fan-fic: stores were pitted against each other and competitiveness established available working hours, workplace mantras were hammered into you in order to develop some weird sense of spirit.

Plain and simple, they provide a good place to work while you look for other places to work.
Pros
Some group lunches, decent hours, good work/life balance
Cons
Strange culture, neutered management, backwards customer service policy
Not worth the stress
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The job in itself is easy, but management will make you do other things and train you to do other peoples jobs with no hope of advancing or getting a raise. It sucks to be a hard worker because you take on all the work and responsibility and get paid the same as the lazy or incompetent coworkers.

Management will actually take on your easier task so you are left to do the harder ones. They will manipulate things to make you do the work thats not your responsibility and make excuses for the lazy or incompetent because they are afraid they wont get it right instead of training them and supervising them properly.

Everybody in the department is miserable. It is a very negative and toxic environment to work in created by management. A lot of sweeping under the rug for them instead of actually coming up with a solution. Employee treatment is unfair, perhaps because of favoritism or they just leave the lazy and incompetent alone because they gave up on them?

There are no employee evaluations or performance reports being kept. Head office will announce that the company is doing good and saved a lot of money and they appreciate the hard work the bottom employees put in but will not give out any raises.
Pros
Shift hours are good. Free coffee and donuts, maybe pizza for lunch sometimes.
Cons
Pay. Management. Workload, employee treatment, no advancement or job security, negative work environment, list goes on
Worst place for retail
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
-no advancement
-poor discount
-no raises
-unrewarding
-lack of motivation
Pros
Easy to slack
Cons
No care for employees
I loved my job
Fulltime Fragrance, Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
I had a great time working at Sears.
All coworkers were friendly and helpful
My management was understanding and supportive
Good benefits

In my experience this job was fun and very gratifying by the end of the day.
not so great
Sales Asscoiate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONDecember 7, 2015
not good with hours or days,dont ever get a raise, they lie. My co-worker are nice just management can be iffy. Hardest part of my job is nothing really, caught on fast. I learned about merchandise. good thing is the discounts you get otherwise they dont like to give fulltime or benefits
Productive and extremely fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 21, 2016
Working as a Waitress always felt rewarding. I learned how to coordinate a professional manner under high pressure, maintain cleanliness at a high degree and last but definitely not least... interact with guests positively. Management at the workplace was absolutely excellent due to superb channeling of communication between the Manager and other waitresses. Plans were strongly developed to ensure guests and coworkers were happy. Hence, I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Plus, it definitely made it easy for all waitresses to maintain a positive, professional and energetic manner no matter what conditions or atmosphere we had to face. Next, the hardest part of my job was taking special precautions for guests due to allergies. On a positive note, the most enjoyable part of the job was exceeding guests' expectations and dealing with complaints using strong leadership skills and team effort.
Pros
Free meals including dessert
Cons
Juggling large trays of food in tight spaces
Working in retail always creates a sense of challenge.
Administrative Assistant/Catalogue Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 1, 2016
Sears has always provided a fair, cooperative environment to work in. The management team is comprised of a well rounded group of people who offer their assistance and are team oriented.
In the business of retail, change is a daily occurrence. New programs are implemented, along with new policies. Being adaptable is key. Camaraderie is a valuable asset, as being a part of a team, one must be able to connect with, and offer ideas to create a better working environment.
Negativity is not tolerated as it only generates non-productive employees.
The most difficult aspect of the job is always trying to keep ahead of any changes that may affect the customer/employee relationship. In order to provide excellent service, one must offer knowledgeable service.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to connect and interact with our customers as each and every one presents a new challenge, which creates an working environment that is constantly evolving.
Pros
Employee perks
Cons
Short shifts, scattered throughout the workweek.
excellent management guidance and great co-workers, loved Commission Sales, very rewarding
Commission Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, OnOctober 13, 2015
loved working for Sears, great working environment with co-workers, commission sales and helped customer with decorating choices at store and off-site at customers homes, built a real relationship with my clients to build repeat business and referrals. With the Managers guidance and great leadership we became the top sears store for $11 million in Sales. Trained new sales co-workers, and did teaching, training for St Lawrence School students night classes in Sears store location for three years voluntarily on my own time. Excellent in Customer Service.
Pros
great fullfilling expperience with clients, great management team
Cons
open everyday but xmas day so long hours but very financially rewarding
A very productive and a friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 29, 2016
Throughout my years as a Customer Service Representative at Sears I have gained a lot of interpersonal skills and a clear knowledge on customer care. Sears has given me the opportunity to build positive relationships with my co-workers and the management team. Overall, It has been a rewarding experience in which I take much pride in. I hope to enhance my extensive skills and be a great asset to my future employers.
Great company but they hurt their own business.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
Awesome co-workers and management team.
The hardest part of the job was the constant changes of the schedule
as well as the constant changes in district managers made it frustrating.
Extreme pressure to be very similar to another company.
Compromising time for quality.
The most enjoyable part was enjoying the job by taking photos and working with amazing staff definitely helped.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Shorter hours, too many changes
Good start off job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 12, 2015
morning meetings are exciting. team leaders are helpful. discounts are good. no benefits. not much room to grow professionally. upper management needs to communicate more to keep morale up.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
no performance appraisals
Excellent working Invironment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 2, 2016
It has been excellent experience working at Sears Stores for the last more than one and half year Excellent working environment &, excellent and supporting team members,very caring and supporting management.Very enjoyable and encouraging customer interaction while dealing with the customer resulting into building long term customer relationship
Productive And Fun Experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 8, 2016
Communication is well with al the staff. Assisted customers with their cash transactions as well as debit, credit card and gift cards. Management was very responsible and communication with employees were spot on. Co workers were all kind and easy to have communication with. No hard part at work everything was up to speed and easy to complete/ Enjoyable part of work was working with all of my co workers and managers.
Pros
Good hours. Excellent communication
Out of touch with Customer needs
Manager Hardware, Fitness and Outdoor Power (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very poor morale in the Stores. Most Stores look half empty as they have discontinued so many lines. The Staff have not had a raise in almost ten years,
Pros
Good Staff discount

2.9