Sears Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,116 reviews matching the search
Seasonal position
SALES ASSOCIATE-MEN'S WEAR (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 4, 2016
A great team of hard working people that unfortunately was only a seasonal position. I enjoyed praise from management, co workers and customers.
The most difficult aspect was working with no training on cash or product knowledge.
It was enjoyable to go to work every day with self confidence in being able to give the correct information to customers and having them leave with a smile.
I learned that I am a quick learner and still very well suited to customer service.
Pros
Lovely customers and new challenges each day.
Cons
Having to teach myself the computer system and product knowledge
Good Product knowledge sharing, good public relations experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONMarch 16, 2016
Opening, serve customers, get parcels, process credit card payments, money transactions, balance books, welcome customers, share knowledge of products to make suitable decision of purchase, do bank deposit. If cash was out trying to find out why. Seeing happy customers that appreciate you taking the time to assist them.
Pros
Work schedule suited lifestyle, first retail experience.
Cons
No advancement worked both sides, heavy lifting, no benefits
Seasonal fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
This job had its ups and downs. I started as a seasonal employee and within a year was the manager. I enjoyed the photography and the energy needed during the seasonal peaks. The district management was regrettably not what I would consider a bonus to the company. I would've stayed with Sears portrait studio if the benefits and raises were better.
Pros
creativity
Cons
no benefits
I loved my job
Fulltime Fragrance, Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
I had a great time working at Sears.
All coworkers were friendly and helpful
My management was understanding and supportive
Good benefits

In my experience this job was fun and very gratifying by the end of the day.
Not worth the stress
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The job in itself is easy, but management will make you do other things and train you to do other peoples jobs with no hope of advancing or getting a raise. It sucks to be a hard worker because you take on all the work and responsibility and get paid the same as the lazy or incompetent coworkers.

Management will actually take on your easier task so you are left to do the harder ones. They will manipulate things to make you do the work thats not your responsibility and make excuses for the lazy or incompetent because they are afraid they wont get it right instead of training them and supervising them properly.

Everybody in the department is miserable. It is a very negative and toxic environment to work in created by management. A lot of sweeping under the rug for them instead of actually coming up with a solution. Employee treatment is unfair, perhaps because of favoritism or they just leave the lazy and incompetent alone because they gave up on them?

There are no employee evaluations or performance reports being kept. Head office will announce that the company is doing good and saved a lot of money and they appreciate the hard work the bottom employees put in but will not give out any raises.
Pros
Shift hours are good. Free coffee and donuts, maybe pizza for lunch sometimes.
Cons
Pay. Management. Workload, employee treatment, no advancement or job security, negative work environment, list goes on
Worst place for retail
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
-no advancement
-poor discount
-no raises
-unrewarding
-lack of motivation
Pros
Easy to slack
Cons
No care for employees
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
Work place is good.
Co-workers are cooperative and helpful.
I learned about managing Cash Register, Handling Cash, improve my customer service skills
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Low Salary
Catalogue Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 8, 2015
My typical day at work at Sears was scanning incoming parcels/merchandise for customer pick-up. Also doing the morning report (daily sales) and opening the tills. Preparing the counter for display, etc. Serving customers and helping them purchase items from catalogue and on-line. Performing cash/debit transactions with customers and credit card purchases and returns. Answering switchboard and telephone inquiries from outside customers and other Sears stores. Internal calls from staff and taking deposits for night deposit and preparing store for closing. Closing till and preparing to close the counter at store closing. Closing till and taking all deposits for the night deposit.
Pros
Good people contact; I enjoyed serving customers
Cons
Minimum wage (raises were minimal) and working weekends most of the time.
Out of touch with Customer needs
Manager Hardware, Fitness and Outdoor Power (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very poor morale in the Stores. Most Stores look half empty as they have discontinued so many lines. The Staff have not had a raise in almost ten years,
Pros
Good Staff discount
not so great
Sales Asscoiate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONDecember 7, 2015
not good with hours or days,dont ever get a raise, they lie. My co-worker are nice just management can be iffy. Hardest part of my job is nothing really, caught on fast. I learned about merchandise. good thing is the discounts you get otherwise they dont like to give fulltime or benefits
Great People, understanding management, however hours may flunctuate
Shipping and Receiving associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2015
I've been hired at Sears due to a friends employment recommendation. The management at my location is very understanding towards any problems that may arise and will always try to resolve any conflicts in the workplace.
The hours are also very flexible; if you need time off then you can probably get it simply by notifying managements a week ahead of time!
Work can be a little overwhelming labour wise considering the minimum wage salary they pay but it's bearable due to the fact you get to spend the day with some great co-workers. Hours can fluctuate between 8- 40 hours a week depending on the season and availability. If you're looking for a stable/steady part time job then I suggest maybe looking elsewhere but if you're just looking for some extra cash and work experience then look no further!
Pros
Safety, Flexibility, Caring, Social Outings
Cons
Unstable work hours
Good start off job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 12, 2015
morning meetings are exciting. team leaders are helpful. discounts are good. no benefits. not much room to grow professionally. upper management needs to communicate more to keep morale up.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
no performance appraisals
I worked in men's dress shop and men's wear
men's dress shop and men's wear (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoyed the job and had great satisfaction in my position . 3 other people were hired for this position in the last year. I was told I was doing a good job . Then the day after a big sale ,just after my first break was taken into an office and told I was no longer needed . I was escorted to my locker and to the door, I asked 3 times why . It took the manager of the store 3 weeks to call me and tell why I was let go. Reason was I was not aggressive enough with customers . Within two weeks my lead was fired and now they looking for new manager For the store . Management was terrible . The staff was great and wonderful to work with.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
terrible management
Used to be great company to work for.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 6, 2016
The company is focus on short term plans, stop the bleeding now but not focusing on long terms company future. Without good plan just putting out fires every day, very reactive culture, too many management changes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long hours, too much travel
Save your precious time, do not work at sears
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
Trust me when I say this, Sears is NOT a nice place to work. The management is extremely poor! The management is rude, they're judgmental, they don't let you take breaks (if you do, you get a warning), etc. My manager would constantly say "iffy" things about customers and their ethnicity... I HATED working with people like that. I hated going to work, and I couldn't wait to leave. The older people that have worked at sears for 20+ years are so old fashioned and think so negatively. It was honestly the worst place I've ever worked. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work at Sears. To top everything off, I have years of cosmetic experience, I have a certificate for makeup artistry and I've worked with some VERY talented and well-known people. SEARS ONLY WANTED TO PAY ME $11.50 and hour. practically minimum wage. Sears is a JOKE. I thought they'd be closed by now.

The BEST part about working at sears, was the newer and younger co-workers. We became very close friends.But you can find that at any other job.

A job is a job, I know, however I STRONGLY advise for people to stay away from Sears, you will be so miserable working there.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, treated horribly
productive and fun place to work
heavy duity mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2015
Built drilling rigs for the oil company's
very hard work but very rewarding
Pay there was good
benefits were pretty good
Pros
exelant pay
Cons
very long hours
Sears Canada
Senior Merchandiser Operations Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale/BarrieOctober 23, 2015
Great people to work with, But work life balance is out the window, Really well compensated. Alot of Politics and stress with the organization.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Expected to work long hours
A decent job for a while
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 17, 2015
Sears was OK to work for. I was technically part-time, but pushed about 33-36 hours a week working at minimum wage doing customer service. The largest benefit was that I had a manageable work/life balance, and the work was stead for a time.

The bad parts were that management was effectively neutered by policy. They were completely held back in terms of prompt and meaningful customer service (i.e. parts ordering, faulty appliances and their associated warranty, willingness to adapt to change). Likewise, they had a strange emphasis on a corporate culture that basically worked like an Ayn Rand fan-fic: stores were pitted against each other and competitiveness established available working hours, workplace mantras were hammered into you in order to develop some weird sense of spirit.

Plain and simple, they provide a good place to work while you look for other places to work.
Pros
Some group lunches, decent hours, good work/life balance
Cons
Strange culture, neutered management, backwards customer service policy
Decent Job, Not Very Good Wage or Work/Life Balance
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day at Sears Canada is short-lived. I worked on the merchandising team and typically most of the staff is part-timers as Sears Canada is moving away from full-time status positions as it is cheaper to hire several part-timers versus full-timers. You would typically be only scheduled during truck days and a day prior to advertisement set-up (changing signs in the store to reflect next day sales). Usually you get anywhere from 1-8 skids daily with merchandise that needs to be stocked. There is usually 1 individual in each department stocking product whereas 2 in larger departments like men's or women's fashions. There is quite a lot of pressure on you to finish quickly in short 4-6 hour shifts as it is rare getting a full shift during the day.

Learned about the various sales during the Sears Canada calendar year such as Sears Days, Clearance Sales, and etc. Used the computer terminal to search products up and typically can see if the product is going to be on sale within a 2-week period.

I had 1 Manager and 1 Supervisor. My manager was really experienced and knowledgeable about her job and had no problems interacting with her. I had no problems with my supervisor either.

Excellent co-workers. Many of the older co-workers in-charge of various departments were very knowledgeable and were able to teach and educate me very well when I began working at Sears Canada during my first few weeks.

The hardest part of the job was being guaranteed enough hours on a weekly basis.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to manage my own department. I was
  more... in charge of the Housewares department and assisted several other departments once all job tasks and duties were completed.

The wage wasn't really good during my time of employment. It was $10.25 for the 3 years I was employed there and Sears Canada did not have yearly raises.

There wasn't much opportunities for job advancement considering the few number of positions that were available.
Productive and extremely fun workplace!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 21, 2016
Working as a Waitress always felt rewarding. I learned how to coordinate a professional manner under high pressure, maintain cleanliness at a high degree and last but definitely not least... interact with guests positively. Management at the workplace was absolutely excellent due to superb channeling of communication between the Manager and other waitresses. Plans were strongly developed to ensure guests and coworkers were happy. Hence, I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Plus, it definitely made it easy for all waitresses to maintain a positive, professional and energetic manner no matter what conditions or atmosphere we had to face. Next, the hardest part of my job was taking special precautions for guests due to allergies. On a positive note, the most enjoyable part of the job was exceeding guests' expectations and dealing with complaints using strong leadership skills and team effort.
Pros
Free meals including dessert
Cons
Juggling large trays of food in tight spaces