Sears

11.6K reviews

Sears Employee Reviews

What people are saying about Sears

• 10% employee discount
  • Stressful metrics
  • Seasonal
  • See more...
Fun workplace
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 5, 2016
i learned to work as a team. The management is very okay. My co-workers were very accommodating. i really enjoyed working there although it was a seasonal employment for me but it was cool.
Pros
good employee discount
Fun and friendly environment to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 3, 2016
I love working at sears. It is one of the mot friendlies company to work at. really good management team and nice co-workers.
Horrible company
MPT (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I worked for this company for last couple years and i don't have nothing nice to say. I was part of MP Team, it was fun place to work when we had a good leader, nice, friendly and approachable person somebody who knows her job. She left and somebody else took over and everything went downhill and your job started to be very stressful, people started to quit, job can't be done because they don't have people or new people don't have proper training and they don't know what to do, but there is no understandings from management, they keep their eyes closed or their going call you to the office for a lecture, hours are very bad one shift per week or two, MPT starts their shift at 5 a.m. not fun at all, Thursday is signs day and it is a horrible day, you can't go for break or home until signing is done and because they don't have people that takes time, no wonder nobody wants to stay. no hours, bad management, horrible leader, very pushy, not friendly, not approachable, rude, a lot of work waiting to be done but they don't have hours or people. So my point is spare yourself a lot of stress and go find somewhere else same job because It is not worth it..sorry Sears.
Pros
very nice, friendly co-workers
Cons
bad management, bad hours, very demanding job
A very flexible place .
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 31, 2016
I learnt many things from sears such as interaction with different kind of customers, work in a fast paced environment, 10 feet rule of customer service and list goes on.
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ONJanuary 30, 2016
The typical work day was slow at time but went faster as the day went buy and management was great and I learned knew thing. Overall great experience.
A vary fun place to work
Doc/ Pick ups (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Sears is a vary nice place t work at. I loved every singe second there. Every one treats you nicely and they always have a hug smile on there face.
Friendly, relaxing environment
Sales Floor Associate - Menswear (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJanuary 27, 2016
This was a temporary position taken on during the Christmas season. Duties included assisting customers with any questions or concerns, recommending products, doing inventory on the weekends and, keeping the workplace clean and sanitary.

Coworkers were generally friendly but, not always available if I had a question. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I had satisfied a customer with a question or concern. I did however, find this position too slow-paced and lacking in challenge.
No Stability
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Although Sears is a great company to work for, and has wonderful loyal customers, there is no stability in really any job at their customer contact centre. This is the second time I've been laid off due to "business needs".
Pros
Big Cafeteria, 8 hour shifts, full 37.5 hour weeks
Cons
No stability
Loved Sears
Team Leader for Catalogue and Café (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed working with the people at Sears on the retail floor. I learned how to produce the documents that I only saw at month end when working at the District Office.
Pros
free coffee, nice people to work with, management was great too
Cons
lots of lifting, late hours
Decent Job, Not Very Good Wage or Work/Life Balance
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A typical day at Sears Canada is short-lived. I worked on the merchandising team and typically most of the staff is part-timers as Sears Canada is moving away from full-time status positions as it is cheaper to hire several part-timers versus full-timers. You would typically be only scheduled during truck days and a day prior to advertisement set-up (changing signs in the store to reflect next day sales). Usually you get anywhere from 1-8 skids daily with merchandise that needs to be stocked. There is usually 1 individual in each department stocking product whereas 2 in larger departments like men's or women's fashions. There is quite a lot of pressure on you to finish quickly in short 4-6 hour shifts as it is rare getting a full shift during the day.

Learned about the various sales during the Sears Canada calendar year such as Sears Days, Clearance Sales, and etc. Used the computer terminal to search products up and typically can see if the product is going to be on sale within a 2-week period.

I had 1 Manager and 1 Supervisor. My manager was really experienced and knowledgeable about her job and had no problems interacting with her. I had no problems with my supervisor either.

Excellent co-workers. Many of the older co-workers in-charge of various departments were very knowledgeable and were able to teach and educate me very well when I began working at Sears Canada during my first few weeks.

The hardest part of the job was being guaranteed enough hours on a weekly basis.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to manage my own department. I was
  more... in charge of the Housewares department and assisted several other departments once all job tasks and duties were completed.

The wage wasn't really good during my time of employment. It was $10.25 for the 3 years I was employed there and Sears Canada did not have yearly raises.

There wasn't much opportunities for job advancement considering the few number of positions that were available.
Always determined to do better with company.
Marketing Coordinator - Home Decor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Needs to foresee a better future for company to hold up longer. Coworkers all work well with completion of work but company lacks helping employees with safe job guarantee.
Pros
entrusts in employees work
Cons
changes with direction with company too often
It was a fun place to work because of the great Staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Very busy at the cash desk, which I loved.
Had to learn how to use very old cash registers.
Management was not very supportive.
My co-workers where awesome, everyone got along
It was very hard to sell there credit cards.
The most enjoyable part was the customers, they were a lot of fun and interesing.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
Management had head office problems that trickled down to staff.
Good
Operations/ Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Really enjoyed job, co workers
Was looking forward to a long relationship
Helped customers, supervised, did schedules
Out of touch with Customer needs
Manager Hardware, Fitness and Outdoor Power (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very poor morale in the Stores. Most Stores look half empty as they have discontinued so many lines. The Staff have not had a raise in almost ten years,
Pros
Good Staff discount
Not worth the stress
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The job in itself is easy, but management will make you do other things and train you to do other peoples jobs with no hope of advancing or getting a raise. It sucks to be a hard worker because you take on all the work and responsibility and get paid the same as the lazy or incompetent coworkers.

Management will actually take on your easier task so you are left to do the harder ones. They will manipulate things to make you do the work thats not your responsibility and make excuses for the lazy or incompetent because they are afraid they wont get it right instead of training them and supervising them properly.

Everybody in the department is miserable. It is a very negative and toxic environment to work in created by management. A lot of sweeping under the rug for them instead of actually coming up with a solution. Employee treatment is unfair, perhaps because of favoritism or they just leave the lazy and incompetent alone because they gave up on them?

There are no employee evaluations or performance reports being kept. Head office will announce that the company is doing good and saved a lot of money and they appreciate the hard work the bottom employees put in but will not give out any raises.
Pros
Shift hours are good. Free coffee and donuts, maybe pizza for lunch sometimes.
Cons
Pay. Management. Workload, employee treatment, no advancement or job security, negative work environment, list goes on
Fast paced position as switchboard operator for Cross country retail outlets.
Retail Support (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 19, 2016
My experience at Sears as retail support was nothing but positive. Enjoyed the job duties and working as part of a team with my co-workers. Very fast paced and required the use of multiple computer programs.
Sears is not the greatest, it is ok for a year to pay bills.
Data Entry Clerk, Driver, UPS shipment (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Sears is a low job entry company.
You are underpaid.Very little chance to advance.
It is a survival job.People working at Sears are very friendly.
That make you really stay for a long time, the people are kind.
Don't expect any kind of party, or Christmas party etc.Sears don't have cash for that.
Great Company
Parts and Procurement Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Great Company!
Every day is a new day fill with new exciting opportunities and
challenges that brings learning curves every time.
Pros
Freindly Environment
Cons
Long Days
Equal opportunity employer within a nice company
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Great staff to work with and opportunity to learn various positions.

Flexible hours and good staff incentives and discounts.

Good job.
Worst place for retail
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
-no advancement
-poor discount
-no raises
-unrewarding
-lack of motivation
Pros
Easy to slack
Cons
No care for employees