Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,770 reviews matching the search
Great work environment.
Shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 July 2017
Sears was a great place to work and develop skills in the workplace. Management was always willing to listen and were well suited for their positions.
great place for students
Sales Team Lead and Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON21 July 2017
great place for high school and university students. only 3 shifts required per week (min 12 hours). flexible shifts to assist with schedules. fair pay at min wage.
sears at great place to work, some fantastic leaders at district level.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 July 2017
the short time i was employed by sears, i realize the potential this company has and wanted to be apart of the growth, still a great place to work, and grow in the near future.
Nice workplace and co-workers.
Part time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2017
Everyday we have a morning meeting before we open the store. The manager discuss the performance of every department, how the daily goals are met. Learn how to improve sales everyday. How to deal with customers complaints and how to please them. We were required to always put stocks at the beginning of the day...and make sure all new stocks that arrive are well taken care and merchandise properly. The hardest part of the job are some employees not helping to finish the job on time. But for those team players its enjoyable to work because we can finish the job easily. Cooperation is the most important part of the job.
Pros
Breaktime is twice. 30 minutes and 15 mins. for 6 hours shift
Cons
Lack of personnel to take care of fitting rooms.
Phone job
Phone sales (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 July 2017
Good customer service experience, but didn't like working and talking on the phone for 8 hours a day. Most jobs were part-time, which is the reason Sears is going out of business, and no benefits.
Love working for Sears
Customer Service Desk Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
I enjoyed the staff and dealing with the public. I made retail fun for my staff. I ran training courses for the new staff and had exceptions of my staff and coworkers. They never let me down. I was voted by my staff and fellow management to to nominated and to receive the Customer Service Award of Excellence.
Pros
Great work environment
Companies qui manque de vision.
Directeur général magasin Sears Canada (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC17 July 2017
Gérer les ventes, promotions, stock.
Assurer le service client et la couverture optimale de plancher.
Motiver l'équipe de direction et les employés
Pros
Travail motivation, non monotone.Salaire acceptable.
Cons
Pas de plan a long terme.
Relaxed workplace
Back Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 July 2017
A great option for someone who inst great at talking with people, and wants to do their work alone or with the help of one other person. Great management and very reasonable with hours.
Good people in old buildings
Commission Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2017
Reporting to the department manager, sell items appropriate to your assignment. In some cases one is expected to retrieve stock from the warehouse. Some items require extensive unpacking or assembly, it can be very hard to keep pace while maintaining expected neatness and attentiveness. Professional politeness and personal magnetism are expected, where customers may need to be told what they want, and the accessories that should accompany it.
Department managers tend to be great, store managers great, middle managers tend to be somewhere between OK and disruptive. Departments were cliquey but not catty.
Many Sears were built decades ago and the electronics, plumbing and infrastructure can be a pest.
Pros
Extended downtime when few shoppers
Cons
Extended stress time when inundated with shoppers
People devote their lives to this company
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Calgary NLC14 July 2017
I start the day logging on computer into my designated work area and warming up with some light duties, getting ready for the day.

Management will take the time to speak to the entire team and let them know any mistakes the previous day and how to improve, or they will tell you information you will need that day which can be many things.

This is a very big warehouse that deals with all Canadian provinces and there is many small details that can confuse a person who isn't familiar with this.

The manager DO NOT TRAIN ANYONE EVER! its left up to employees who are just trying to do their job but they are burdened with having to train people, which would not be so bad if turnover wasn't so high. When you have to repeat the same thing over and over to a dozen people every year it gets tiring.

The Co workers who are helpful to tell you things are the only thing keeping this company alive. The people I learned the most from have been lifelong Sears employees.

Hardest part of the job is not making mistakes because you haven't properly been trained or getting a write up for breaking some arbitrary rule when you are just trying to do your job. People will keep their head down and never talk or want to learn new things because all that means is higher chance of interacting with toxic management.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction at the end of the day from doing an honest days work, chatting with many friendly people and having lots of fun, making jokes and enjoying life with a real family of co workers. They also have free BBQs.
Pros
Fast paced and always something to keep you busy
Cons
Rigid corporate red tape and managers that make the job harder than it needs to be
very productive and enjoyable
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingsway Mall14 July 2017
Worked with great people, really enjoyed our shift, got a lot done in the shift, my work included building and dis assembling furniture, moving furniture as well as helping customers and learning new jobs and positions.
Pros
good work companions
Cons
long hours on feet
Very Demanding
Part-time Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON13 July 2017
Sears was a great learning experience as it was one of my first retail jobs. I started working there in the beginning of holiday season and it was very demanding and received many hours. I quit because it was interfering with my high school exams at the time. I felt that some of the management were rude to student employees. The one thing i would change is i would update how they post weekly schedules as it was on a bulletin board in the staff room and not online so if you did not have any weekend shifts or anybodys number you would not know if you were scheduled to work the following monday. Also, they do not answer their phones at all
Bon environnement de travail.
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC13 July 2017
Sears m'a permis d'apprendre ce que le marché du travail consistait et les attentes auxquelles je devrai faire face.
Horrible Establishment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON12 July 2017
Absolutely horrible work place. Management could care less about respecting their employees and cares solely on making profit. Always blames all customer complaints on the workers but doesn't bother to schedule enough employees during each shift in order to help customers. Everything in the store is overpriced and they use outdated systems which takes extremely long to ring people through. Two people on average are on cash which makes it even more frustrating when there's a line up of people and management refuses to come out of their offices to help out. Store is always a mess which comes from the understaffing problem, and manager overall is just terrible to associate with and extremely judgemental. With such poor management and respect for its employees this store will be lucky if it even lasts into the new year. Don't bother applying here, plenty of better paying jobs that prioritize their staff's wellbeing.
Stressful work environment when busy
Portrait Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 July 2017
The job consisted of letting clients know of the packages offered, making appointments,confirming appointments, taking the clients pictures, quickly editing and helping them choose the best images depending on what package was chosen, then proceeding with payment, letting clients know when their prints were in for pick up, calling old clients to increase clientele, handing out promotional material to potential clients when the studio was not busy, maintaining a clean work environment, sorting images alphabetically when they came into the studio, opening or closing the studio. Maintain communication with management.

Not enough time with clients was given per session, therefore it made the job very stressful when it was busy.

The training was not sufficient therefore when I was left alone, it made work difficult and stressful.

I learned how to pose adults, children and infants for a studio shoot.
I was often alone in the studio, which was not ideal when many clients came in and needed to be helped.
Pros
learning new photo shoot techniques and poses.
Cons
not enough time with clients when it was the busy season, not enough employees when busy.
freindly atmosphere of working
TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 July 2017
It's a call center with friendly environment and people are as a big family it's really fun to work there However the salaries are not high but the stress of work there is at it's minimum which is a good point
Pros
freindly atmosphere of working
Cons
Low Salaries
Productive and Fun workplace
Allocation & Replenishment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
Working for sears was a great experience.
My managers at Sears were amazing mentors. Flexible hours made it easy to have a perfect work life balance.
Pros
Flexible hours, Amazing mentors
Cons
Job security and Advancement.
environnement de travail agreable et prenant
Conseillere en Electromenagers Meubles Matelas (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC11 July 2017
Grace a cette compagnie j ai pu re-orienter ma carriere dans un milieu agreable ou travailler.Les journees passent rapidement ce que j ai apprecie c est la polyvalence ,on fait aussi bien des ventes que du service a la clientele.l la reconnaissance de nos resutats.Sears nous tient en haleine.Nous formons nous prenons des decisions d affaires .Jai toujours eu l impression d etre la proprietaire de mes faits et gestes ,autonome,comme si c etait mon propre commerce
Pros
nos avantages et nos salaires
Cons
trop de paperasses
A easy going work place
Merchandise Flow Associate/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 July 2017
I started off in the receiving department for the store and after a year i got promoted into the hardware sales department. Assisted store in any task required of me.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and staff meals
Great work environment
Sales Associate Pickering Town Center (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON11 July 2017
I loved working at Sears for the time being. It was a great way for me to gain some skills that I can use in the future for when I work to my future job.
Pros
great deals
Cons
less hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9