Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,502 reviews matching the search
Close, Friendly Team Relationship
Retail/Catalogue Merchandise Flow Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Having worked for a few teams within the same department, my coworkers have made the transition easy and welcoming. If there were any questions or concerns, we were able to bring it up and have it addressed. Not everyone in upper management was as receptive to our concerns. It came right down to the bottom line and constantly changing our job description based on the needs of the business. That's not necessarily a negative but it does make it more difficult to complete projects. Even though there was different associate levels within a team, we along well together
Pros
Great Team Relatioship
Frustrating place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE23 February 2017
There is a serious lack of support for employees in this company. Management are generally good people, but are more concerned about losing their own jobs than helping customers and employees. Training is non-existent, new employee's are thrown out to the floor and are expected to learn as they go, and are fired if they do not pick it up fast enough. Hours are given based on "performance", but if you get full time hours one week, prepare to have your hours cut back for the next two.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, hours, training, pay.
Challenging work environment but staff are very friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2017
Walk in and report to your area to serve the customers. Help each person find what they are looking for, provide information to each person regarding products they desire and help them with any requests for installation.

Product information, shipping products, DOS coding, sales.

Management was always busy and sometimes difficult to find but always tried their best.

Friendly and supportive whenever you needed help or had a question.

They job can be physically taxing at times.

Working with colleagues.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Sometimes job can be taxing.
It was OK
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I applied here because it was close to home. I liked the hours I initally requested but was asked to work for Merchandising as it was required by all employees. Some days I was scheduled to work from 4pm-9pm then had to be back at the store for merch at 6AM. Be prepared to be asked to come in on your day off or stay later.

There was lots of resentment the time I worked there but did meet some pretty nice people.
Pros
discounts, benifits
Cons
long hours and not very organized
Good place for work so far
greater, cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 January 2017
I like my job, to interupt with customers and just receive experience in sales sphere. All managers are respectful and treat every associate appropriate.
Every coworker is friendly and come to work is a good work experience.
But sometimes you even not able take your breaks, not only me but every associate which is working there.
Lack of hours, our managers starts to cut our hours.
Pros
Ability to save because of associate discount, friendly coworkers and managers
Cons
Lack of hours, unable to take breaks sometimes
A healthy and fun-filled environment.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2017
The people were really supportive and encouraging which made me work more harder and with enthusiasm. Basically, Sears taught me a lot about customer services and improved my skills of handling them and providing them with the most satisfied service ever. The best part is that you get to meet so many people and learn so much from them. By far, Sears has helped me grow as a person by improving my communication and interpersonal skills.
Rarely busy
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work was over 15 costumers a day that already knew what they came for and if not sure on which brand that they would want to buy I had to compare both brands. I learned that work is not always the easiest. The management was fairly good and my co-workers were always friendly. The hardest part about the job was learning how to use the cashier but I got the hang of it really fast. The part I enjoyed most about the job was speaking to different costumers each day having a friendly conversation with them.
Pros
Fair Amount of time given out on breaks
Cons
Rarely Costumers unless it's Holidays
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  290 Yonge Street3 January 2017
On a shift basis I was responsible for...

 Managing men, women, and kids watches, jewelry, women’s clothing, cash, customer service in person and over the phone
 Administered bill payments for customers, as well as, responsible for taking accurate inventory of clothes and jewelry/watches
 Mark down prices for merchandise throughout the store on a weekly basis
Pros
The other Associates I worked with...they made it all worth it
Cons
Unappreciative Managment
Sales Associate
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 December 2016
Extremely competitive job, must be experienced in using MS DOS mode. Bit of a downer I thought. Some staff at customer service are very unprofessional, swearing and a bit self righteous, not very good trainers. Customers were always great and I find always knew what they wanted and what price they were looking for. All very patient when times were busy.
Pros
The customers and morning informative staff meetings so everyone is on the same page for the day.
Cons
Poor job trainers.
Awful Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 December 2016
Basically the management lacks the basic grasp of how to run a store. Yeah, they set up displays and sales and tell you what to do, but they make horrible decisions, alienate customers and will outright lie to you as staff, to your face, about what they are planning to do. The job culture and co-workers other then that are average, not really a good, close meshed environment, but not at each others throats.
Pros
Not really
Cons
Poor Management
Great social club, associates enthusiasm all round good place to work.
Security Guard Supervisor, Logistics lead. (Former Employee) –  3075 thimens Ville Saint-Laurent18 February 2017
: Good environment paid training in many areas.

: The team aspect is great, you are appreciated.

: Information and communication, always time provided.

: PC knowledge to technical and non-technical users.
Pros
The people who are employed, good environment.
Cons
Job security, Downsizing, product knowledge diminished
Allowed Me To Gain Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Multiple Locations7 February 2017
Working for any retail store can be a task. We all know the deal with Sears closing stores out. But despite the economical difficulties this company faces, they still try to do their best. I was fortunate enough to work with great staff both in Calgary & Halifax. As far as I'm concerned, Sears is a great company nation-wide.
Pros
Great Staff, Good Lifestyle Balance
Love my job, but the hours and the environment is...
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 November 2016
For the first two weeks, i was getting lots of hours and I loved that. But after that, i only get 5 hours a week. I talked to my manager 3 different times but the only thing she says is that's all she can give. But she and one of our team member who is her personal close friend would always be working together, and anything her friend says about the schedule, the manager approves which is unfair. And I see that they're still hiring when all they can give us, 2 new associates in her team, is either 4 or 5 hours. Although, I love my job, the hours go by really fast.
Pros
good salary, time goes by fast
Cons
max of 5 hours a week, personal relationships with team members affect the workplace
Awesome place
Distribution Associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 January 2017
An amazing place to work, they actually care about the people they have working for them. They are always trying to make the work fun but still very perfect. As we are a distribution centre, the products are being sent to customers, therefore ALL items (merchandise, packaging) must be perfect.
Pros
Great people and atmosphere
Cons
Hard to tell when people will order things.
always enjoyed working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 November 2016
I worked for Sears 24 years as a sales associate mostly in appliances mattresses and Hardware. I always enjoyed the work and made a lot of friends along the way A typical starts with ensuring the department is clean and ready for store opening.

After the store opens the real work starts, helping customers by answering their questions and endeavoring to sell them the items that they are inquiring about.
Pros
mostly given lots of space to do the job expected of us.
Cons
could get a little tedious if things were slow. fortunately that didn't happen very often
Wouldn't recommend
Buying Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Lack of planning and outside of the box thinking has held Sears back for decades. Talent comes and goes yet they can seem to change, as the senior management refuses to adopt to 21st century consumer expectations. Growth, culture... no more words necessary. Even with their more recent revamps on the brand, it's still not enough in the eyes of the consumer as the store experience remains constant.
Easy to work there
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
day was simple since we were an outlet store everything was cheaper and the rules were more relaxed. I learnt a lot about customer service. management was fair, co workers were awesome we still keep in contact today after it has been closed for 1.5 years. hardest part was dealing with unruly customers the most enjoyable part was the atmosphere.
Pros
Lunch days, bbqs, negotiable hours
Cons
short shifts
sears is a fun place to work.
Beauty Advisor (Customer Service) (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK5 December 2016
Sears is a good place to work. The management is really nice and co-operative with employees. I like the environment and the team i have. The most hardest part of the job is performing and completing the goals of card share. The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a team and helping customers.
Pros
making new clients and learning new things
Cons
none.
Good company
Commis de ventes / services à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 January 2017
Unfortunately company not doing as well for my needs as a salesman so my needs are not being met.The most difficult part of day is waiting for clients. The salesmen are frustrated and causes some envy among the staff. I am an experienced sales person who needs to contribute to any company .
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
Not enough clients
Productive and kind workplce
Category Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
-A typical day involves checking emails, coordinating samples for marketing, setting up orders to be placed.
-I've learned a lot, including strong communication skills and how to work one on one as well as with a team.
-Management is great. They always have your back.
-My co-workers are friendly, kind and patient people.
-The hardest part of my job would be managing the different teams.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.

2.9