Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,493 reviews matching the search
Close, Friendly Team Relationship
Retail/Catalogue Merchandise Flow Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Having worked for a few teams within the same department, my coworkers have made the transition easy and welcoming. If there were any questions or concerns, we were able to bring it up and have it addressed. Not everyone in upper management was as receptive to our concerns. It came right down to the bottom line and constantly changing our job description based on the needs of the business. That's not necessarily a negative but it does make it more difficult to complete projects. Even though there was different associate levels within a team, we along well together
Pros
Great Team Relatioship
Retail Company
Network Administrator - Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Retail Company with approximately 100 locations or more.
Supported the Company network infrastructure directly as a network administrator, dealing with day to day issues, and long term projects.

Company will fail before 2020.
Pros
store discount
Cons
low compensation rate, poor work culture, lack of advancement, rrsp plan was weak
Pretty laid back
IT Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2017
Overall its a pretty laid back workplace at least where I worked anyway. Pay wasn't the greatest and the benefits were ok but there wasn't much room for advancement.
Pros
Management leaves you alone for the most part
Cons
No advancement
It was OK
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I applied here because it was close to home. I liked the hours I initally requested but was asked to work for Merchandising as it was required by all employees. Some days I was scheduled to work from 4pm-9pm then had to be back at the store for merch at 6AM. Be prepared to be asked to come in on your day off or stay later.

There was lots of resentment the time I worked there but did meet some pretty nice people.
Pros
discounts, benifits
Cons
long hours and not very organized
Great coworkers and understanding departmental managers
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
I worked with great coworkers and management was very understanding. We had strict goals that involved signing customers up for the Sears Credit Card and Sears Mastercard. Sales goals were celebrated and praised across the store.

Our manager was very understanding and sympathetic.
Pros
Good atmosphere among coworkers
Cons
Often work alone
Great selling culture
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB8 November 2016
Great employees to work with .Management lacks team work and commodore .Good benefits and work /life balance is recognized and practised . The selling culture is one of honesty and product knowledge is passed on to customers.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low wages
Awful Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 December 2016
Basically the management lacks the basic grasp of how to run a store. Yeah, they set up displays and sales and tell you what to do, but they make horrible decisions, alienate customers and will outright lie to you as staff, to your face, about what they are planning to do. The job culture and co-workers other then that are average, not really a good, close meshed environment, but not at each others throats.
Pros
Not really
Cons
Poor Management
Pay structure is just as dated as their stores!
Minion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alot of changes happening within sears canada right now. They are spending and have spent a fortune on "refreshes" none of which are getting customers to come into the stores. First of all. ..let's deal with the customer service 1-800 joke. As a curent employee, it is a daily battle on our end to fix what these so called customer service representatives do to our customers! Secondly, to get a raise with sears. ....HAHAHA. ...NOT A CHANCE!
Pros
Great associates
Cons
Horrible pay structure
Wouldn't recommend
Buying Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Lack of planning and outside of the box thinking has held Sears back for decades. Talent comes and goes yet they can seem to change, as the senior management refuses to adopt to 21st century consumer expectations. Growth, culture... no more words necessary. Even with their more recent revamps on the brand, it's still not enough in the eyes of the consumer as the store experience remains constant.
Productive and great work environment
IT Support Specialist, (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
• Procure and setup new desktops/laptops; perform problem diagnosis on desktop/laptop issues and execute fixes to ensure that desktops and laptops are operating correctly
• Management is focused on operations of the organization's IT environment, including servers, network equipment, and phones
• Co-workers are great team players
• Hardest part of the job was pager support
• The most enjoyable part of the job was troubleshooting resolving an issue or completing a project
Pros
Variety of Cafeterias
Cons
too much work little pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2017
associates do all the work and are not rewarded. management is terrible and LP is rude.

job security is terrible, they fire people very often because they want to change the image of sears and bring in a younger audience, they dont value people who have been working their for 20+ years.
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything
Sears Canada
Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 January 2017
I loved working at Sears however I did have a few issues. For one, I was working 25-30 hour work weeks as a student who was taking finals. Also, I was not aware I was a seasonal employee until I was fired after the holidays. However, all staff members were friendly and shared the workload.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Great part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
I worked at Sears for 8 years while I was in University. Great part-time hours, management was always supportive the workload was fair.
Pros
Annual Christmas lunches, snacks provided during inventory hours, flexible hours, getting time off for studying was no issue
Cons
Poor salary, no room for growth.
Rarely busy
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work was over 15 costumers a day that already knew what they came for and if not sure on which brand that they would want to buy I had to compare both brands. I learned that work is not always the easiest. The management was fairly good and my co-workers were always friendly. The hardest part about the job was learning how to use the cashier but I got the hang of it really fast. The part I enjoyed most about the job was speaking to different costumers each day having a friendly conversation with them.
Pros
Fair Amount of time given out on breaks
Cons
Rarely Costumers unless it's Holidays
No advancement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Job work/life balance was maintained well enough. Management not always adequate. Lots of micro-management happening there. Business not doing well as they are closing many locations.
works with minimal staff
Warehouse Supervisor and Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK1 January 2017
not bad. a lot of staff turn over. they try to work with minimal staff which leads to large staff turn over and staff burnout.
Pros
day shift only
Cons
no raises
Love my job, but the hours and the environment is...
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 November 2016
For the first two weeks, i was getting lots of hours and I loved that. But after that, i only get 5 hours a week. I talked to my manager 3 different times but the only thing she says is that's all she can give. But she and one of our team member who is her personal close friend would always be working together, and anything her friend says about the schedule, the manager approves which is unfair. And I see that they're still hiring when all they can give us, 2 new associates in her team, is either 4 or 5 hours. Although, I love my job, the hours go by really fast.
Pros
good salary, time goes by fast
Cons
max of 5 hours a week, personal relationships with team members affect the workplace
Challenging work environment but staff are very friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2017
Walk in and report to your area to serve the customers. Help each person find what they are looking for, provide information to each person regarding products they desire and help them with any requests for installation.

Product information, shipping products, DOS coding, sales.

Management was always busy and sometimes difficult to find but always tried their best.

Friendly and supportive whenever you needed help or had a question.

They job can be physically taxing at times.

Working with colleagues.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Sometimes job can be taxing.
My Experience
Parts Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  2200 Islington Ave., Etobicoke, Ontario12 July 2016
A typical day at Sears Parts and Service starts off quietly with a few customers. There are many duties the store itself requires. The staff members are allocated to their sections and the store display is maintained throughout their working day; signage is adjacent to the merchandise regular and sale prices; researching or returning part selections and point of sale entries.

The Sears culture of commitment, and customer loyalty takes priority as low or high volume of customers enter the store.

I learned a management position requires much studious dedication starting with customer concerns, store presentation, point if sale reports, scheduling, and most importantly employee coaching.

The biggest adjustment for work in progress. There are goals and future deadlines

The future deadlines I have trouble excepting, as a developed attitude of finishing what I started by not putting off until tomorrow ensues.
Pros
I don't sit stationary, I move around
Cons
swiping out, when a future dated project is incompleted
Great workplace environment with a great work and fellow employee relationship
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON31 October 2016
Busy when big sales and occasions arise
Not all days are predictable and many times your days of sales are dependent on the amount of effort you take in approaching customer service and sales.
Management have their own focus of areas and will occasionally step in to help outside of their designated areas
Co-workers in most part stay focused on their designated area but come together on other occasions
Hardest part of the job is trying to find solutions to bring in the customers in order to improve sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is on busy occasions to prepare for holidays and events. excitement for customers and the sales associates
Pros
decent discounts for employees
Cons
reduced work hours when there is a lack of business

2.9