Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,372 reviews matching the search
Seasonal position
SALES ASSOCIATE-MEN'S WEAR (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 4, 2016
A great team of hard working people that unfortunately was only a seasonal position. I enjoyed praise from management, co workers and customers.
The most difficult aspect was working with no training on cash or product knowledge.
It was enjoyable to go to work every day with self confidence in being able to give the correct information to customers and having them leave with a smile.
I learned that I am a quick learner and still very well suited to customer service.
Pros
Lovely customers and new challenges each day.
Cons
Having to teach myself the computer system and product knowledge
Good Product knowledge sharing, good public relations experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONMarch 16, 2016
Opening, serve customers, get parcels, process credit card payments, money transactions, balance books, welcome customers, share knowledge of products to make suitable decision of purchase, do bank deposit. If cash was out trying to find out why. Seeing happy customers that appreciate you taking the time to assist them.
Pros
Work schedule suited lifestyle, first retail experience.
Cons
No advancement worked both sides, heavy lifting, no benefits
Seasonal fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 13, 2016
This job had its ups and downs. I started as a seasonal employee and within a year was the manager. I enjoyed the photography and the energy needed during the seasonal peaks. The district management was regrettably not what I would consider a bonus to the company. I would've stayed with Sears portrait studio if the benefits and raises were better.
Pros
creativity
Cons
no benefits
I loved my job
Fulltime Fragrance, Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
I had a great time working at Sears.
All coworkers were friendly and helpful
My management was understanding and supportive
Good benefits

In my experience this job was fun and very gratifying by the end of the day.
Good Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2016
Work place is good.
Co-workers are cooperative and helpful.
I learned about managing Cash Register, Handling Cash, improve my customer service skills
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Low Salary
Not worth the stress
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
The job in itself is easy, but management will make you do other things and train you to do other peoples jobs with no hope of advancing or getting a raise. It sucks to be a hard worker because you take on all the work and responsibility and get paid the same as the lazy or incompetent coworkers.

Management will actually take on your easier task so you are left to do the harder ones. They will manipulate things to make you do the work thats not your responsibility and make excuses for the lazy or incompetent because they are afraid they wont get it right instead of training them and supervising them properly.

Everybody in the department is miserable. It is a very negative and toxic environment to work in created by management. A lot of sweeping under the rug for them instead of actually coming up with a solution. Employee treatment is unfair, perhaps because of favoritism or they just leave the lazy and incompetent alone because they gave up on them?

There are no employee evaluations or performance reports being kept. Head office will announce that the company is doing good and saved a lot of money and they appreciate the hard work the bottom employees put in but will not give out any raises.
Pros
Shift hours are good. Free coffee and donuts, maybe pizza for lunch sometimes.
Cons
Pay. Management. Workload, employee treatment, no advancement or job security, negative work environment, list goes on
Worst place for retail
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2016
-no advancement
-poor discount
-no raises
-unrewarding
-lack of motivation
Pros
Easy to slack
Cons
No care for employees
Out of touch with Customer needs
Manager Hardware, Fitness and Outdoor Power (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Very poor morale in the Stores. Most Stores look half empty as they have discontinued so many lines. The Staff have not had a raise in almost ten years,
Pros
Good Staff discount
Catalogue Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 8, 2015
My typical day at work at Sears was scanning incoming parcels/merchandise for customer pick-up. Also doing the morning report (daily sales) and opening the tills. Preparing the counter for display, etc. Serving customers and helping them purchase items from catalogue and on-line. Performing cash/debit transactions with customers and credit card purchases and returns. Answering switchboard and telephone inquiries from outside customers and other Sears stores. Internal calls from staff and taking deposits for night deposit and preparing store for closing. Closing till and preparing to close the counter at store closing. Closing till and taking all deposits for the night deposit.
Pros
Good people contact; I enjoyed serving customers
Cons
Minimum wage (raises were minimal) and working weekends most of the time.
not so great
Sales Asscoiate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONDecember 7, 2015
not good with hours or days,dont ever get a raise, they lie. My co-worker are nice just management can be iffy. Hardest part of my job is nothing really, caught on fast. I learned about merchandise. good thing is the discounts you get otherwise they dont like to give fulltime or benefits
Used to be great company to work for.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 6, 2016
The company is focus on short term plans, stop the bleeding now but not focusing on long terms company future. Without good plan just putting out fires every day, very reactive culture, too many management changes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long hours, too much travel
Save your precious time, do not work at sears
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
Trust me when I say this, Sears is NOT a nice place to work. The management is extremely poor! The management is rude, they're judgmental, they don't let you take breaks (if you do, you get a warning), etc. My manager would constantly say "iffy" things about customers and their ethnicity... I HATED working with people like that. I hated going to work, and I couldn't wait to leave. The older people that have worked at sears for 20+ years are so old fashioned and think so negatively. It was honestly the worst place I've ever worked. I would NEVER recommend anyone to work at Sears. To top everything off, I have years of cosmetic experience, I have a certificate for makeup artistry and I've worked with some VERY talented and well-known people. SEARS ONLY WANTED TO PAY ME $11.50 and hour. practically minimum wage. Sears is a JOKE. I thought they'd be closed by now.

The BEST part about working at sears, was the newer and younger co-workers. We became very close friends.But you can find that at any other job.

A job is a job, I know, however I STRONGLY advise for people to stay away from Sears, you will be so miserable working there.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, treated horribly
Great People, understanding management, however hours may flunctuate
Shipping and Receiving associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2015
I've been hired at Sears due to a friends employment recommendation. The management at my location is very understanding towards any problems that may arise and will always try to resolve any conflicts in the workplace.
The hours are also very flexible; if you need time off then you can probably get it simply by notifying managements a week ahead of time!
Work can be a little overwhelming labour wise considering the minimum wage salary they pay but it's bearable due to the fact you get to spend the day with some great co-workers. Hours can fluctuate between 8- 40 hours a week depending on the season and availability. If you're looking for a stable/steady part time job then I suggest maybe looking elsewhere but if you're just looking for some extra cash and work experience then look no further!
Pros
Safety, Flexibility, Caring, Social Outings
Cons
Unstable work hours
One of the Most Successful Furnitures stores in the Sears Chain
Commission Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCAugust 6, 2016
The Sales staff was extremely successful and hard working. Rarely did anyone call in sick. We encourage each other and help whenever anyone was in need. Filling out paperwork etc.
Our support staff was on the ball and helped our customers when we were with other customers.
Staff lunches were great and a time to share with different dept.

The hardest part of the job was knowing when to go home! We were all quilty of this as we just wanted to start the next day off on a good foot. So all problems and paper work needed to be done. Sometimes the copier wasn't co operating.

I would go back to Sears if there was a position!
Pros
Good staff members! Which is rare. Lunches brought us all in one room. Time to share your day.
Cons
suppliers, equipment not co operating.
I worked in men's dress shop and men's wear
men's dress shop and men's wear (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBFebruary 10, 2016
I enjoyed the job and had great satisfaction in my position . 3 other people were hired for this position in the last year. I was told I was doing a good job . Then the day after a big sale ,just after my first break was taken into an office and told I was no longer needed . I was escorted to my locker and to the door, I asked 3 times why . It took the manager of the store 3 weeks to call me and tell why I was let go. Reason was I was not aggressive enough with customers . Within two weeks my lead was fired and now they looking for new manager For the store . Management was terrible . The staff was great and wonderful to work with.
Pros
great enviroment
Cons
terrible management
Vary busy everyday.
Sales and Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2016
I was in charge of the parts and service for Edmonton and area. I had to deal with 7 employees and over 2,000 parts not including the parts that were on hold or on order. Had to keep the place clean for the customers and a kind and friendly attitude towards the customers. As it was the parts and service most customers came in because something they bought from sears broke and it was part of my job to make sure that they got there parts ordered and deal with any complaint. There was normal at leas one angry person a day and it was part of my job to calm them down. was a vary stressful job around the holidays.
Pros
The customers wer great
Cons
Some times it took a long time to get parts for the customers
This was the worst place I have EVER worked.
Merchandise Flow Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABAugust 15, 2016
To start of I am a little biased because in a about a month I will be on the street because of this company. I had been working there for over two years and it was generally okay considering Sears is slowly dying and the pay is low so they don't attract the best people that work there. But when I came into work and was told that my job was no more because o a "restructuring" I don't really know what goes through these corporate nuts heads but my job was merchandise flow and inventory so they have to replace me with someone else so how is that a restructuring? Thanks for nothing SEARS
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Disrespectful and rude management
Good start off job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 12, 2015
morning meetings are exciting. team leaders are helpful. discounts are good. no benefits. not much room to grow professionally. upper management needs to communicate more to keep morale up.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
no performance appraisals
Truck Day
Customer Service Representative/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONJune 8, 2016
Truck would come in on Tuesday and Thursday and usually around 3-3:30pm. Once the truck would arrive, I would scan and unload customer or catalogue orders and place them in the customer pick up area. Depending on how many orders were loaded, a typical time frame would be and hour to hour and a half. The worst part of unloading customer orders would be all the major appliances or fitness due to the weight. During that time, customers would come in a pick up their items from past trailers or i would have to go pick up an item from the sales floor. Once that is complete, i would match the correct tag to the customers receipt, file and then contact the customers letting them know that their items have arrived and ready for pickup. Later on i would go and help the rest of the tem unload the rest of the trailer.
Productive and busy place to work in
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 7, 2016
Usually the shift starts at 5am in the morning, and begins with 3 people. One of them including me, the two co-workers with me are kind and cooperative, hard working as well that uses time efficiently and effectively. Hardest part of the job is making it on time to finish the delivered skids to us in a set amount of time, but the most enjoyable part of the job is when everything gets done on time. You sense the feeling of accomplishment after such a busy morning.
Pros
flexible shifts, can socialize a bit, kind managers, cool co-workers, hours given when asked
Cons
small space to move around, equipment won't work at times, unorganized workplace

2.9