Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,539 reviews matching the search
Overall a great learning ladder in customer service
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 March 2017
Sears gave me a great opportunity to learn about different products and merchandise therefore this enabled me to help clientele with their specific needs.
Throughout my years with Sears Home Services, I was able to learn immensely through the decorator, and everything there was to know about custom window coverings. Attending outside conventions with our vendors was interesting as well. I will always be grateful for my learning tools I gained through this company.
Pros
Conventions, and gatherings we had were fun
Culture wise was ok, but it was not an organized company in many ways
QA Analyst - Contract (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
Culture wise was ok, but it was not an organized company in many ways, the salary was below market rate.

This company was not organized and hardly had any documentation to even learn their system, so I got the information from the internet to learn their system.... Since I already worked for such a company before, I tried to help them volunteerly to organize our department I myself so created a User Manual and other training and resource documents for the company efficiency and productivity.
The job I did was not challenging, it was a lots of reputation but over all was ok.
Family, helpful and fun place to work
Replenishment/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 March 2017
Sears was a very supportive place to work. Management was always there to help you if you needed a hand. I learned how to work with customers, tag products and work as a time.

A typical work day was organizing products, tagging new stock and helping customers with questions or checking out.

The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out where products went, as Sears switched to an out-let store and changed products around.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the family like feel and supportive team. Everyone worked together and made you enjoy your day.
Pros
Family feel & supportive
Cons
Lack of hours
A long time Famous National Brand Company that has been known for generations.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary27 March 2017
A great Company that could have been saved. It's too late for the company as time kept changing and they stood still. A place that does not promote "sense of ownership" and nobody seems to have the authority to make a decision. Every question or decision is referred to the level above, which is then referred again above them, and so forth until it's lost in translation.
Pros
It's the right place if you fit in and think its for you.
Cons
If the Senior Leadership had thought about the company rather than their pockets, a great name could have been saved
It was good steady work
Shipping and receiving, loading dock assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 March 2017
Along with the bay I had a good pace with chopping up boxes after offloading trucks, and trucks were fun to offload. Getting customer orders was definitely the funner part. The hardest part was when I was alone some days doing trailers but that's it. I learned how to organize customer orders fast and efficiently. The management in my opinion was fine no complaints.
Pros
I had a discount for food at the mall and I enjoyed that.
Cons
some customers were pretty brutal when they showed up angry but nothing I couldn't handle.
Frustrating place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE23 February 2017
There is a serious lack of support for employees in this company. Management are generally good people, but are more concerned about losing their own jobs than helping customers and employees. Training is non-existent, new employee's are thrown out to the floor and are expected to learn as they go, and are fired if they do not pick it up fast enough. Hours are given based on "performance", but if you get full time hours one week, prepare to have your hours cut back for the next two.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, hours, training, pay.
Challenging work environment but staff are very friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2017
Walk in and report to your area to serve the customers. Help each person find what they are looking for, provide information to each person regarding products they desire and help them with any requests for installation.

Product information, shipping products, DOS coding, sales.

Management was always busy and sometimes difficult to find but always tried their best.

Friendly and supportive whenever you needed help or had a question.

They job can be physically taxing at times.

Working with colleagues.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Sometimes job can be taxing.
Close, Friendly Team Relationship
Retail/Catalogue Merchandise Flow Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Having worked for a few teams within the same department, my coworkers have made the transition easy and welcoming. If there were any questions or concerns, we were able to bring it up and have it addressed. Not everyone in upper management was as receptive to our concerns. It came right down to the bottom line and constantly changing our job description based on the needs of the business. That's not necessarily a negative but it does make it more difficult to complete projects. Even though there was different associate levels within a team, we along well together
Pros
Great Team Relatioship
Demanding but supported
Corporate Delivery Assistant- Problem Solver (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 March 2017
calls into call centre as complaints on delivery service from coast to coast. Most who complained were right in doing so, but some were not, good for developing a thick skin with verbal abusive language and impossible demands from customers on a daily, minute by minute basis. We had the authority to compensate problems.
Pros
day shift, great co-workers
Cons
layoffs at anytime
It was OK
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I applied here because it was close to home. I liked the hours I initally requested but was asked to work for Merchandising as it was required by all employees. Some days I was scheduled to work from 4pm-9pm then had to be back at the store for merch at 6AM. Be prepared to be asked to come in on your day off or stay later.

There was lots of resentment the time I worked there but did meet some pretty nice people.
Pros
discounts, benifits
Cons
long hours and not very organized
Good place for work so far
greater, cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 January 2017
I like my job, to interupt with customers and just receive experience in sales sphere. All managers are respectful and treat every associate appropriate.
Every coworker is friendly and come to work is a good work experience.
But sometimes you even not able take your breaks, not only me but every associate which is working there.
Lack of hours, our managers starts to cut our hours.
Pros
Ability to save because of associate discount, friendly coworkers and managers
Cons
Lack of hours, unable to take breaks sometimes
A healthy and fun-filled environment.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2017
The people were really supportive and encouraging which made me work more harder and with enthusiasm. Basically, Sears taught me a lot about customer services and improved my skills of handling them and providing them with the most satisfied service ever. The best part is that you get to meet so many people and learn so much from them. By far, Sears has helped me grow as a person by improving my communication and interpersonal skills.
Rarely busy
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work was over 15 costumers a day that already knew what they came for and if not sure on which brand that they would want to buy I had to compare both brands. I learned that work is not always the easiest. The management was fairly good and my co-workers were always friendly. The hardest part about the job was learning how to use the cashier but I got the hang of it really fast. The part I enjoyed most about the job was speaking to different costumers each day having a friendly conversation with them.
Pros
Fair Amount of time given out on breaks
Cons
Rarely Costumers unless it's Holidays
Great social club, associates enthusiasm all round good place to work.
Security Guard Supervisor, Logistics lead. (Former Employee) –  3075 thimens Ville Saint-Laurent18 February 2017
: Good environment paid training in many areas.

: The team aspect is great, you are appreciated.

: Information and communication, always time provided.

: PC knowledge to technical and non-technical users.
Pros
The people who are employed, good environment.
Cons
Job security, Downsizing, product knowledge diminished
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  290 Yonge Street3 January 2017
On a shift basis I was responsible for...

 Managing men, women, and kids watches, jewelry, women’s clothing, cash, customer service in person and over the phone
 Administered bill payments for customers, as well as, responsible for taking accurate inventory of clothes and jewelry/watches
 Mark down prices for merchandise throughout the store on a weekly basis
Pros
The other Associates I worked with...they made it all worth it
Cons
Unappreciative Managment
Allowed Me To Gain Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Multiple Locations7 February 2017
Working for any retail store can be a task. We all know the deal with Sears closing stores out. But despite the economical difficulties this company faces, they still try to do their best. I was fortunate enough to work with great staff both in Calgary & Halifax. As far as I'm concerned, Sears is a great company nation-wide.
Pros
Great Staff, Good Lifestyle Balance
I have worked with Sears with over 15 years broken service.
Appliance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2017
I have a long history with this retailer. I think they used to be the premier place to learn sales techniques and get comprehensive job training. I miss the friends I made with this corporation. Sadly I think they struggle with this modern economy and have let quality slip and training is now almost non-existent!
Sales Associate
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 December 2016
Extremely competitive job, must be experienced in using MS DOS mode. Bit of a downer I thought. Some staff at customer service are very unprofessional, swearing and a bit self righteous, not very good trainers. Customers were always great and I find always knew what they wanted and what price they were looking for. All very patient when times were busy.
Pros
The customers and morning informative staff meetings so everyone is on the same page for the day.
Cons
Poor job trainers.
Awful Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 December 2016
Basically the management lacks the basic grasp of how to run a store. Yeah, they set up displays and sales and tell you what to do, but they make horrible decisions, alienate customers and will outright lie to you as staff, to your face, about what they are planning to do. The job culture and co-workers other then that are average, not really a good, close meshed environment, but not at each others throats.
Pros
Not really
Cons
Poor Management
Awesome place
Distribution Associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 January 2017
An amazing place to work, they actually care about the people they have working for them. They are always trying to make the work fun but still very perfect. As we are a distribution centre, the products are being sent to customers, therefore ALL items (merchandise, packaging) must be perfect.
Pros
Great people and atmosphere
Cons
Hard to tell when people will order things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9