Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,535 reviews matching the search
Culture wise was ok, but it was not an organized company in many ways
QA Analyst - Contract (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
Culture wise was ok, but it was not an organized company in many ways, the salary was below market rate.

This company was not organized and hardly had any documentation to even learn their system, so I got the information from the internet to learn their system.... Since I already worked for such a company before, I tried to help them volunteerly to organize our department I myself so created a User Manual and other training and resource documents for the company efficiency and productivity.
The job I did was not challenging, it was a lots of reputation but over all was ok.
Close, Friendly Team Relationship
Retail/Catalogue Merchandise Flow Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Having worked for a few teams within the same department, my coworkers have made the transition easy and welcoming. If there were any questions or concerns, we were able to bring it up and have it addressed. Not everyone in upper management was as receptive to our concerns. It came right down to the bottom line and constantly changing our job description based on the needs of the business. That's not necessarily a negative but it does make it more difficult to complete projects. Even though there was different associate levels within a team, we along well together
Pros
Great Team Relatioship
Frustrating place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE23 February 2017
There is a serious lack of support for employees in this company. Management are generally good people, but are more concerned about losing their own jobs than helping customers and employees. Training is non-existent, new employee's are thrown out to the floor and are expected to learn as they go, and are fired if they do not pick it up fast enough. Hours are given based on "performance", but if you get full time hours one week, prepare to have your hours cut back for the next two.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, hours, training, pay.
Decent work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC6 March 2017
worked as a cashier and sales consultant
learned good team work, customer service and how to meet sales targets
management was decent
good work/life balance
not much room for advancement
busy days and high stress sales targets
co-workers were pleasant
Pros
good work environment
Cons
pay
Retail Company
Network Administrator - Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Retail Company with approximately 100 locations or more.
Supported the Company network infrastructure directly as a network administrator, dealing with day to day issues, and long term projects.

Company will fail before 2020.
Pros
store discount
Cons
low compensation rate, poor work culture, lack of advancement, rrsp plan was weak
Pretty laid back
IT Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2017
Overall its a pretty laid back workplace at least where I worked anyway. Pay wasn't the greatest and the benefits were ok but there wasn't much room for advancement.
Pros
Management leaves you alone for the most part
Cons
No advancement
It was OK
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I applied here because it was close to home. I liked the hours I initally requested but was asked to work for Merchandising as it was required by all employees. Some days I was scheduled to work from 4pm-9pm then had to be back at the store for merch at 6AM. Be prepared to be asked to come in on your day off or stay later.

There was lots of resentment the time I worked there but did meet some pretty nice people.
Pros
discounts, benifits
Cons
long hours and not very organized
Bad
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton13 March 2017
Lack of job objectives, unrealistic requirements. Wages were low and raises are tiny and lack structure. Floor level workers are poorly treated and middle management is hung out to dry
Awful Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 December 2016
Basically the management lacks the basic grasp of how to run a store. Yeah, they set up displays and sales and tell you what to do, but they make horrible decisions, alienate customers and will outright lie to you as staff, to your face, about what they are planning to do. The job culture and co-workers other then that are average, not really a good, close meshed environment, but not at each others throats.
Pros
Not really
Cons
Poor Management
Great selling culture
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB8 November 2016
Great employees to work with .Management lacks team work and commodore .Good benefits and work /life balance is recognized and practised . The selling culture is one of honesty and product knowledge is passed on to customers.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low wages
Great coworkers and understanding departmental managers
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
I worked with great coworkers and management was very understanding. We had strict goals that involved signing customers up for the Sears Credit Card and Sears Mastercard. Sales goals were celebrated and praised across the store.

Our manager was very understanding and sympathetic.
Pros
Good atmosphere among coworkers
Cons
Often work alone
Poor People management
Planning (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2017
The company is poor on retaining good talents, high turn over from the management team to all levels. Poor system, hard to find useful information. People here often focused on what the manager asked for instead of what really important.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
not good for career development
Pay structure is just as dated as their stores!
Minion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alot of changes happening within sears canada right now. They are spending and have spent a fortune on "refreshes" none of which are getting customers to come into the stores. First of all. ..let's deal with the customer service 1-800 joke. As a curent employee, it is a daily battle on our end to fix what these so called customer service representatives do to our customers! Secondly, to get a raise with sears. ....HAHAHA. ...NOT A CHANCE!
Pros
Great associates
Cons
Horrible pay structure
Wouldn't recommend
Buying Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Lack of planning and outside of the box thinking has held Sears back for decades. Talent comes and goes yet they can seem to change, as the senior management refuses to adopt to 21st century consumer expectations. Growth, culture... no more words necessary. Even with their more recent revamps on the brand, it's still not enough in the eyes of the consumer as the store experience remains constant.
too much work little pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2017
associates do all the work and are not rewarded. management is terrible and LP is rude.

job security is terrible, they fire people very often because they want to change the image of sears and bring in a younger audience, they dont value people who have been working their for 20+ years.
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything
Great part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
I worked at Sears for 8 years while I was in University. Great part-time hours, management was always supportive the workload was fair.
Pros
Annual Christmas lunches, snacks provided during inventory hours, flexible hours, getting time off for studying was no issue
Cons
Poor salary, no room for growth.
Sears Canada
Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 January 2017
I loved working at Sears however I did have a few issues. For one, I was working 25-30 hour work weeks as a student who was taking finals. Also, I was not aware I was a seasonal employee until I was fired after the holidays. However, all staff members were friendly and shared the workload.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Rarely busy
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work was over 15 costumers a day that already knew what they came for and if not sure on which brand that they would want to buy I had to compare both brands. I learned that work is not always the easiest. The management was fairly good and my co-workers were always friendly. The hardest part about the job was learning how to use the cashier but I got the hang of it really fast. The part I enjoyed most about the job was speaking to different costumers each day having a friendly conversation with them.
Pros
Fair Amount of time given out on breaks
Cons
Rarely Costumers unless it's Holidays
No advancement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Job work/life balance was maintained well enough. Management not always adequate. Lots of micro-management happening there. Business not doing well as they are closing many locations.
Fun to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 March 2017
sears is a good place to work for but if we take a look at the salary then it is minimum, even with the experience we don't get a raise. And sometimes what i think that there is nothing which we can learn new or exciting.
Pros
lunch brakes are paid
Cons
not many employees

2.9