Sears Employee Reviews

Found 1,421 reviews matching the search
Productive and kind workplce
Category Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
-A typical day involves checking emails, coordinating samples for marketing, setting up orders to be placed.
-I've learned a lot, including strong communication skills and how to work one on one as well as with a team.
-Management is great. They always have your back.
-My co-workers are friendly, kind and patient people.
-The hardest part of my job would be managing the different teams.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers.
Love my job, but the hours and the environment is...
Merchandise Presentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 November 2016
For the first two weeks, i was getting lots of hours and I loved that. But after that, i only get 5 hours a week. I talked to my manager 3 different times but the only thing she says is that's all she can give. But she and one of our team member who is her personal close friend would always be working together, and anything her friend says about the schedule, the manager approves which is unfair. And I see that they're still hiring when all they can give us, 2 new associates in her team, is either 4 or 5 hours. Although, I love my job, the hours go by really fast.
Pros
good salary, time goes by fast
Cons
max of 5 hours a week, personal relationships with team members affect the workplace
always enjoyed working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 November 2016
I worked for Sears 24 years as a sales associate mostly in appliances mattresses and Hardware. I always enjoyed the work and made a lot of friends along the way A typical starts with ensuring the department is clean and ready for store opening.

After the store opens the real work starts, helping customers by answering their questions and endeavoring to sell them the items that they are inquiring about.
Pros
mostly given lots of space to do the job expected of us.
Cons
could get a little tedious if things were slow. fortunately that didn't happen very often
Pay structure is just as dated as their stores!
Minion (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Alot of changes happening within sears canada right now. They are spending and have spent a fortune on "refreshes" none of which are getting customers to come into the stores. First of all. ..let's deal with the customer service 1-800 joke. As a curent employee, it is a daily battle on our end to fix what these so called customer service representatives do to our customers! Secondly, to get a raise with sears. ....HAHAHA. ...NOT A CHANCE!
Pros
Great associates
Cons
Horrible pay structure
Productive and happy workplace
Beauty Consultant for Clinque (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 October 2016
I have started working at Sears 3 years ago. Since I have been here, I have been promoted twice. I enjoy interacting with customers and ensuring that my customers have the best experience possible.
I get along very well with my customers, coworkers and the management team.
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the public. I love creating a fun, and educational experience for all of my clients in order to make sure they have the best experience possible
Pros
Interracting with customers
Sears Canada
Sales Support/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON5 October 2016
My typical day would be helping customers shop... I would be there for customers to ask questions and as I am very approachable I spent a lot of my day listening to customers and their needs and being able to help them have a successful and fun shopping experience at Sears. Having patience and kindness allows for extremely enjoyable environment to work in. The management within Sears was very organized, always accessible and easy to talk with.

I would have to say the hardest part of the job at Sears was probably in the quieter times as you really need the customers to bring the store to life.
Pros
Taking advantage of the sales.
Cons
It was only partime.
Fun work place
Store Director (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC4 October 2016
 Responsible of ten departments, seventy- five staffs, sales, financial and material resources and inventory.
 Provide a wide diversity of administrative services and customers services.
 In charge for the recruitment and selection process, job’s posting, interviews, tests, integration trainings, hiring, background and reference checks, employee’s schedules and payroll. Supervise, assign tasks, call meetings and mentor staff.
 Conduct performance evaluations, develop personalized action plans, manage internal and extern conflicts and customer’s complaints.
 Represent the company at various events and issues reports.
Pros
good team work
Wouldn't recommend
Buying Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Lack of planning and outside of the box thinking has held Sears back for decades. Talent comes and goes yet they can seem to change, as the senior management refuses to adopt to 21st century consumer expectations. Growth, culture... no more words necessary. Even with their more recent revamps on the brand, it's still not enough in the eyes of the consumer as the store experience remains constant.
Easy to work there
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
day was simple since we were an outlet store everything was cheaper and the rules were more relaxed. I learnt a lot about customer service. management was fair, co workers were awesome we still keep in contact today after it has been closed for 1.5 years. hardest part was dealing with unruly customers the most enjoyable part was the atmosphere.
Pros
Lunch days, bbqs, negotiable hours
Cons
short shifts
Improving communication skills at sears
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
As the first experience in Canada, I started to learn the "working culture" and improving my communication skills

I learned the best way of transferring daily/monthly tasks from General Manager to a team and getting excellent result

I did many store opening/closing which was great opportunity to feel as store manager with leading various managers and staff to achieve one target

Passing internal training to have better customer service and preparing a great place for shopping
Pros
Enough training
Cons
Company financial sitiuation
Great workplace environment with a great work and fellow employee relationship
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON31 October 2016
Busy when big sales and occasions arise
Not all days are predictable and many times your days of sales are dependent on the amount of effort you take in approaching customer service and sales.
Management have their own focus of areas and will occasionally step in to help outside of their designated areas
Co-workers in most part stay focused on their designated area but come together on other occasions
Hardest part of the job is trying to find solutions to bring in the customers in order to improve sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is on busy occasions to prepare for holidays and events. excitement for customers and the sales associates
Pros
decent discounts for employees
Cons
reduced work hours when there is a lack of business
Vary busy everyday.
Sales and Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2016
I was in charge of the parts and service for Edmonton and area. I had to deal with 7 employees and over 2,000 parts not including the parts that were on hold or on order. Had to keep the place clean for the customers and a kind and friendly attitude towards the customers. As it was the parts and service most customers came in because something they bought from sears broke and it was part of my job to make sure that they got there parts ordered and deal with any complaint. There was normal at leas one angry person a day and it was part of my job to calm them down. was a vary stressful job around the holidays.
Pros
The customers wer great
Cons
Some times it took a long time to get parts for the customers
Good
Sales team lead. Merchandise team lead (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 October 2016
Receiving new merchandise and locating it onto the floor,putting merchandise out according to season. Asa a member of the management team I would work with the associates to make sure job was done right. The hardest part of my job was dealing with customer complaints and most enjoyable was working with the employees
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Experience not appreciated
Productive and great work environment
IT Support Specialist, (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
• Procure and setup new desktops/laptops; perform problem diagnosis on desktop/laptop issues and execute fixes to ensure that desktops and laptops are operating correctly
• Management is focused on operations of the organization's IT environment, including servers, network equipment, and phones
• Co-workers are great team players
• Hardest part of the job was pager support
• The most enjoyable part of the job was troubleshooting resolving an issue or completing a project
Pros
Variety of Cafeterias
Retail Company
Network Administrator - Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
Retail Company with approximately 100 locations or more.
Supported the Company network infrastructure directly as a network administrator, dealing with day to day issues, and long term projects.

Company will fail before 2020.
Pros
store discount
Cons
low compensation rate, poor work culture, lack of advancement, rrsp plan was weak
Great coworkers and understanding departmental managers
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
I worked with great coworkers and management was very understanding. We had strict goals that involved signing customers up for the Sears Credit Card and Sears Mastercard. Sales goals were celebrated and praised across the store.

Our manager was very understanding and sympathetic.
Pros
Good atmosphere among coworkers
Cons
Often work alone
This was the worst place I have EVER worked.
Merchandise Flow Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 August 2016
To start of I am a little biased because in a about a month I will be on the street because of this company. I had been working there for over two years and it was generally okay considering Sears is slowly dying and the pay is low so they don't attract the best people that work there. But when I came into work and was told that my job was no more because o a "restructuring" I don't really know what goes through these corporate nuts heads but my job was merchandise flow and inventory so they have to replace me with someone else so how is that a restructuring? Thanks for nothing SEARS
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Disrespectful and rude management
For temporary it is a good place to work at.
Cashier/ Sales Associate - Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2016
Sears Canada, is a good place to work at. Customers are friendly and the coworkers are more friendly. The hardest part of the job was when there were no people and we were bored. The enjoyable part was working together as a team. After all I learned a lot of customer service skills from Sears.
Pros
Lunch breaks were pretty long.
Cons
Sometimes get boring.
Productiv and fun work place
Part Time. Various positions (Former Employee) –  CA9 October 2016
We would start the day off by unloading the trailer pulling off the costumer orders and paring the resets, so that later on we could call and let them know there item had arrived. At 7:30 we would go out to do the morning meeting to discuses what was going on for the day, then we would head to our respected areas. In receiving we would unload the rest of the trailer and prep it to go to the floor. I learned well working for Sears better social skills and costumer serves skills. My managers where amazing and vary understanding, they helped me with my focus because I would get distracted with helping others co-worker or costumers out. My co-worker where fun and full of life. I enjoyed all parts of the jobs did and still wish I was doing them. If I could I would go back in a hart beat. I would also recommend it to any one looking.
Pros
Grate people
Cons
I have non
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON13 August 2016
a typical day at work Clean up Department, organize racks, make sure merchandise was in order of product. keep fitting Rooms Clean.
Help Customers always, learned about changes in the Department
Management was always there to help you if needed it.
Working with my co-works was total team work.
Making sure all Customers were satisfied with my services.
Pros
The Family atmosphere
Cons
I worked when ever needed

2.9