Sears
9,067 reviews

Sears Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 1, 2015
Regular day job, good group of employees. Management was mostly nice, not much room for growth. Its a good position for people who enjoy being around people and handling fast paced work.
Negative work environment. Unrealistic expectations.
Product Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 1, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: negative culture
My time with Sears Canada was a very negative one. The company culture was oppressive and expectations from Senior Management were unrealistic.
Challenging and supportive work environment
Performance Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: supportive colleagues
Cons: long hours
Challenging and supportive work environment. Long work hours and including travel time, the average day is 12 hours long.
Too much pressure for Rapid Credits!
Floor Staff (Current Employee), VICTORIA BCFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: sears cards
As a high school student entering university, I did not enjoy my overall experience at sears. The co-workers we're so friendly and nice, yet the management at sears is very unorganized and pressure you to sign people up for Sears cards.

At one time the head manager and little sticky notes, with individual names on them (including mine) and sticked them to her office door, for everyone to see who hasn't been signing people up for sears cards! This created an environment that was negative and not uplifting. it didn't motivate me at all. All they really care about is signing people up for Sears Cards, yes it helps the company but it does not motivate your employees, it just discourages them.

Whats even worst, is that my position is a floor replenishment and merchandizer so i am rarely on the cash desk to even discuss sears cards...

The pay at Sears is minimum wage...i have never received a raise yet or bonuses. (working for over a year)
The job was alright.
Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nice employees
Cons: customers' being rude
I really enjoyed the fellow employees, however the customers could be very rude, and ruin an entire shift for me. The management was nice and the scheduling worked out fantastic.
Popular Retailer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: benefits, great management, promotion
My first job was at Sears. I started from working as floor sales associate than got promoted to Customer Service. I worked in all the departments except electronics. I left the company because I decided to move to another city. I really enjoyed working at Sears. I was offered to be a supervisor, but unfortunately I could not accept the offer due to some inconvenience.
Loved the team dynamics
Senior Marketing Manager - LOOK! Report Magazine (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2015
The talented people that work for Sears are what keeps people coming back. I was lucky to be a part of such a storied organization that gave me my start in retail and also encouraged me to move up through various positions of professional advancement. Challenging environment made every day new and exciting. Hardest part of the job was likely ensuring there was enough support to push through a project. Most enjoyable part of the job was being surrounded by some of the most talented people in the retail industry.
They suck the fun out of everything
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great co workers
Cons: rapid credits, awful environment
The store basically only wants one thing, and that's for you to open credit cards. If you don't they'll fire you. While I enjoyed working with some of the employees there was still a whole lot of toe crushing going on due to the fact that everyone was trying to open up these credit cards. Despite the fact that you were expected to sell your soul to open up these cards, I enjoyed my time in the department despite the poisonous environment.
Nice dining area and on site gym.
MATERIAL HANDLER/MAIL PICKER (Former Employee), Belleville, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: nice breaks
Cons: too much standing
Nice place too work with a great cafeteria and dining area.
Good breaks. Some heavy lifting. Learned how to pick mail and identify/inspect incoming merchandise.
I absolutely loved Sears
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great co workers, great working experience
Cons: extreme lack of hours between holidays for part time workers
When I found out I was being hired for a position in Mens Wear, I was literally ecstatic. I was working harder than most people with a smile on my face mostly due to the working environments. I was told 95% of the seasonal workers would be getting fired so to speak as they do every year which was reasonable. I ended up getting called to the Managers office and he offered me a job as an official Sears employee. I was extremely happy and couldnt wait to prove they made the right choice. Everything was going great until for two months in a row I was getting no more than 6 hours a week. I loved Sears but I couldnt survive with those amount of hours. I would have loved to stick it out and wait to see if anything changes but the manager literally told me that my hours wont change for another 4 months so I absolutely had to give my 2 weeks notice with great sadness but it had to be done. All in all, great relationships and experience are still with me to this day from working at Sears. No hard feelings !
Good coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCFebruary 22, 2015
Met alot of great people working there! Overall management is not good and I would not recommend this as a place to work. No opportunity to move up in the company.
A great place to start your work experience
Sales Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 21, 2015
Sears was a interesting learning curve for myself. It was my first retail experience and I really enjoyed working there; co-workers were great but management lacked heavily in clarity of instructions and leadership skills.
getting more skills about cashier
Customer Service desk (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABFebruary 20, 2015
i had a very good experience at sears. It was easy to work their without any stress. I have learned lot which i never had. i learned how to handle customers in different situation. after time goes its really most enjoyable of work.
Amazing
Children's Wear Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: great pay, friendly environment, many things to do, helping out customers
Cons: hardly any cash register experience, having to stand for hours without sitting
I absolutely loved working there, the staff was very friendly (and still are). I loved the fact that I had a break and could go out into the mall for lunch. I loved how there was always something to do, even if there wasn't much. The pay was great, I had enough to get by. The sad thing was I didn't learn much about the cash register. When I worked there, I learned a lot about children clothing brands, what types of strollers, car seats, cribs, ect. were suitable and safe depending on age of the child. The hardest part was being on your feet all the time for hours. Overall, I loved the job!
Payless Job
Marketing Analyst for Craftsman (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: team effort by everyone
Cons: head office in the states and not being able to order online at that time
While I worked at Payless I learnt how to set up the shoes and receive shipments. When I left I was a Keyholder which was responsible for opening, bank deposits, training new staff members and closing the store so it was ready for rthe next day. When we closed we have to make sure it look just like it did the day before so nothing was on the floor and we would vacuum and mop floors.
I enjoy my time there as a team player.
Straightfoward work in a clean environment
Merchandise Flow Team Member (Former Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: easy work
Cons: tends to be tedious
Spent all day sorting and unboxing product. The work itself was easy and really straightforward. Some co workers were really hard to get along with but the ones that have been there for more than a few months tend to keep their distance.
Great Management and Staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: management co-workers
Cons: extremely light of hours
Management and Co - Workers were great also a wonderful work environment. Required patience and great customer service with a energetic attitude and willingness to learn.
Postive learning experience
Scanner (Former Employee), ReginaFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: learning new ways of work and computer programs.
Cons: part time and frequent layoffs
Work started at noon and ended at 8:00 PM. Learned about scanning product into inventory and then at times placing it in the proper shelves.

Learned how to use the use the work specific computer program and organizational skills in inventory control.

Learned the system Sears uses for taking inventory.

The hardest part of the job is placing heavy and awkward items in high shelves.

The scanning job was the most enjoyable.
Senior Manager Merchandising Operations (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONFebruary 13, 2015
I Love working at Sears. Great people, great hours, great bosses. I would recommend a career at Sears to anyone interested.
Awesome company to be a part of
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Productive and fun workplace, everyday I felt encouraged to excel at my job. In general it was a very inclusive and warm welcoming environment to be a part of, It felt like being part of a family rather than a corporation.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sears

Sears, Roebuck and Co. hasn't outgrown the mall scene, but it's spending more time in other places. Beyond its 840 US mall-based – Read more