SeaStar Solutions is based in Richmond, BC Canada and has earned a reputation as a World Leader in the design and manufacture of hydraulic and thermal technology products for our target markets. We are looking for dedicated, driven professional to become a part of our organization.
This position focuses on Product Development including design, verification, validation, launch and support of hydraulic and/or diesel fired thermal products and components. The Product Designer is responsible for developing and evaluating design solutions to meet challenging cost and schedule targets. They work closely with vendors and in-house manufacturing to assess capability and methods of fabrication.
Education & Experience
University or Institute qualifications in Mechanical, Electrical, or Electro-Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Research and develop systems solutions for identified market opportunities.
- Design products utilizing prescribed tools such as QFD, CAD, DFMA, DFMEA’s in accordance with SeaStar and ISO9000 requirements and procedures.
- Develop project plans, coordinate activities and report on project status in an effective and timely manner.
- Hold design reviews and conduct validation tests (salt spray, lifecycle, tolerance validation, etc.)
- Prepare design documentation such as drawings and engineering specifications and liaison with manufacturing engineering, supply chain management, production and suppliers.
- Manage Bill of Materials for production assemblies
- Participate in “make versus buy” decisions for components and/or assemblies.
- Analyze operational efficiency for components and/or assemblies to determine if more efficient design or manufacturing methods can be implemented.
- Assist in applications support and troubleshooting as required.
- Perform other duties and undertake special projects as assigned by supervisor.
Skills & Abilities
- Self-motivated team player with demonstrated problem solving skills, mechanical aptitude, and accuracy in work & documentation
- Demonstrated proficiency with Pro/Engineer.
- Experience with design for injection molding, die casting, permanent mold casting, investment casting, extruding, machining, sheet metal fabrication, and welding
- Thorough knowledge of various materials and secondary coatings
- Thorough knowledge of design procedures, specifications and engineering software/simulation tools
- Strong ability to produce reliable cost effective designs for industrial applications
- Strong understanding of test methodology and design of experiments
- Demonstrated ability to work with sense of urgency to meet schedule and budget goals
- Familiar with common office software. ie: Windows, MS Office and MS Project.
- English language fluency - verbal and written required.
- Ability to work with suppliers and manufacturers
- Familiarity with MRP systems to control engineering Bills of Materials
- Familiarities with advanced quality-planning techniques such as design FMEAs.
- Familiarity with electronic instrumentation & test equipment including LabView, and NI data acquisition equipment.
- Familiarity with hydraulic gear pumps, axial piston pumps, cylinders, valves, and motors.
- Familiarity with ISO9001 requirements.
Things to Know & How to Apply?
- This position is located at our Richmond, British Columbia, Canada facility.
- Occasional travel maybe required.
- SeaStar Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.
- If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume with the subject: 2014-017.
- Relocation assistance is not provided for this role.
- Only applicants legally eligible to work in Canada should apply. No foreign applicants will be sponsored.
- We look at each resume in detail, so please be sure to review the job description and highlight your experience in relation to this role.
- All candidates will be updated on the status of their application.
- To find out more about SeaStar Solutions, please visit our company website at: www.seastarsolutions.com or http://canada.seastarsolutions.com/careers/