SDL Employee Reviews

Fun place to work; lots of benefits
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChilwellApril 4, 2016
SDL is a great place to work because of in house benefits provided to the employees.
Company events/parties are also a very good incentive.
Pros
Free lunches, excellent company events
Great experience
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  BurnleyMarch 1, 2016
Fast paced - working on multiple projects
Great experience
Opportunities to work on all areas
Friendly, hard working and experienced team
Fun place to work with a great environment!
Associate Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Superior, COOctober 17, 2015
Great work environment, good company culture, great benefits and opportunities to advance.

Training was pretty comprehensive, localization is definitely an industry that requires a lot of learning.

Fun management that is understanding of the learning process.
It was a very lively and productive environment to work
Senior Testing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, KAJuly 27, 2015
Loved the time I worked for SDL.
All my colleagues were best people from different fields to work with.
Managers were super supportive while I was working and also when I requested to the relieved due to family commitment.
SDL
Annotator, Linguist (Current Employee) –  Cluj, RomaniaJuly 23, 2015
Working with SDL is a great experience. The project management is excellent and the team members are adepts of communication. The jobs focusing on linguistics and annotation have training on the job, which is a motivating way to start to learn something new. As for the salary, I can say it is decent and acceptable.
Productive and friendly environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2015
Management is good and friendly co-workers. The hardest part of the job was to meet deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was compensation and job flexibility.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Brief breaks & didn't allow time-off
Translation Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Bangkok, ThailandApril 12, 2015
- 5 working days
- People management, Financial management, Budget control, Recruitment, etc.
- Good support from management team
- Good
- Dealing with difficult employees
- Coaching team members to improve their skill to next level
Overall a great place to work!
Student Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 18, 2015
I have worked here as a student. It offers great experience as you complete your degree. You get real hands on experience. I can't claim to know as much about a full time position but most of the people I have worked with seemed happy there.
Global, positive, easy access office outside of Boston
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MASeptember 19, 2014
Great exposure to global work place. Ability to work with great employees around the world. You need to be flexible and able to work in an ambiguous setting and if you are good at managing your own workload and deliverables you can really succeed.
Pros
flexible work schedule, comfortable work environment; excellent benefits
Cons
salary is below average
Employer of last resort
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Superior, COJuly 28, 2014
Pay is below standard, management is rude and inconsiderate. You will be expected to work long hrs for peanuts.
Pros
some good coworkers and interesting work (but not for the money)
Cons
pay, management
Productive, interesting and fun place to work.
Marketing Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, ENGJune 18, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving at 9am, have a 9.30 catch up call with the Marketing Director to discuss progress with projects, priorities, any issues and make a plan for the day. I would then work on any email campaigns that needed to be sent that day or any other projects until lunch. I would spend the afternoon answering emails and forwarding on any responses to campaigns to the appropriate people and having meetings with our colleagues in the US.

I learned how to use Marketo, Sales Force and some HTML code.

Management at SDL was mostly from afar, which is fine if they are easy to reach, unfortunately this was not the case so decisions which needed to be approved by management would often be delayed leading to many a lost opportunity and wasted time. Scheduled meetings would often not happen with no notice. I would also say that this was the hardest part of the job as the bottle neck in processes as a result of management being hard to reach and slow to react meant planning was often difficult and dealing with stakeholders chasing decisions was quite frustrating at times.

My co-workers were a great mixed bunch who were all very friendly and helpful, I learned a lot from all of them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing exhibition participation, I managed everything form negotiating our booking to hiring a supplier to design and produce our exhibition stand, organizing our speakers and being there on the day to make sure everything ran smoothly and to help drive traffic to the stand. I love seeing a project through from start to finish and events
  more... are best kind to see the results.  less
Pros
a lot of knowledgeable co-workers to learn from, great projects, freedom to make decisions
Cons
a lot of wasted time trying to meet with/talk to management.
Has a lot of potential and great people.
Mid level Drone (Current Employee) –  Vast corporate wastelandJune 17, 2014
Do you like cheap soft drinks? Do you like to contribute to the company and bring in Millions of revenue only to have someone take the spotlight? Do you like to work in constant fear and uncertainty.

If you said yes to all of the above, SDL is the right company for you. It has 0 company culture. Did you say "no" to the stays quo?! Your fired!!! There is an infinite number of poorly paid and uneducated drones to take your place. If you keep your head down for the next 6 years...it won't make any difference!!! Your termination could come at any time without notice just because someone doesn't "like" you.

Do you like to nod your head in agreement all the while you silently scream in your head "Nooooooooo"? This place is perfect for you!!!
Pros
subsidized vending machine, decent health benefits.
Cons
corporate politics and lack of culture
Retail
senior development officer (Current Employee) –  chapra BiharMay 26, 2014
I aspire for a professional career in leading corporate with committed and dedicated people who will provide me
growth opportunities and give me a chance to constantly add value to the organization.
Productive and Fun
Translation Resource Manger (Current Employee) –  NAVI MUMBAIApril 24, 2014
My day at work starts with checking the mails and projects that we received for the day and allocating jobs to the team members accordingly. I have enhanced my people management skills and leart a We Know approach. I most intersting part of my job was to get the client to concesus on quality. Getting resources and delivering jobs on time with a very tight schedule could get chalenging sometimes.
Pros
free breakfast and fruit plate
Cons
no flexibility on shift hours
Management and Workplace
Field Marketing Manager - North America (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2014
While working here I developed quite a few very close friends, however, management, job work/life balance, compensation, advancement, and job culture are less to be desired.
Pros
people
Cons
job work/life balance, compensation, advancement, training, job culture
Great place to work with very driven and like minded people
Partner Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
I insured the success of clients by managing the teams of Professional Services, Managed Services, Support and Development on any issues or current projects.

Negotiated and closed multi-million dollar / multi-year contracts with all levels of management in prospective clients.

I was privileged to work with some of the brightest people in the CRM space.

It was great working with like minded and driven people to ensure the success of the clients and our company.
Pros
work from home, rewarded for delivering results and exceeding quota
managerial workplace
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seekri, HayanaDecember 22, 2013
1. good relations with subordinate and sub subordinates.
2. understandable workplace.
3. helpful environment.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Great environment where everybody work together in this company
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 15, 2013
SDL let's you help engineering group or other department in resolving issues as quickly as possible to reduce downtime.
Pros
geting along with co-workers
Cons
company was sold to a bigger company which caused dismissal.
Valuable experience in localisation field
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, ENGOctober 29, 2013
the learning curve is steep but I am grateful for the experience
Pros
bonus
Cons
A nice normal office job. Not real exciting, Not great pay but stabel
Junior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  wakefield maOctober 26, 2013
SDL plc is just a typical day job at a desk. Not much happens. it's low stress but on the other hand the salaries tend to be significantly lower than the standards at other companies in the same area.

It's not a bad place to work but things move pretty slowly and I don't see much in the way of opportunity for advancement
Pros
stable
Cons
low pay