SCOTIABANK

SCOTIABANK Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good place to work
Mortgage Administration Officer (Current Employee), Stratford, ONOctober 25, 2013
the culture and work/life balance is excellent but there is very few advancement opportunities and the benefits are not good
Very negative environment riddled with ambiguity and contradiction
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: no bank fees
Cons: work/life balance, benefits, culture
A typical day; dealing with unprofessional behaviour, politics, egos, lack of direction/support.
N/A
Electronic Banking & Bus Acct Service Officer (Current Employee), Western Service Centre, Calgary, ABOctober 17, 2013
Pros: great building, cafeteria, gym, etc.
Cons: n/a
Great people to work with, flexibility with schedule, different shifts and type of work.
Poisoned Environment in International Accounting
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 17, 2013
I had heard many good things about Scotiabank. However, after working for almost two years for the International Banking - Accounting, I can only say that all management care is about their own bonuses. It is a very territorial place, meaning that people hate you just because you started working there and are not friendly. Senior Management doesn't – more... even acknowledge your existence and the VP only hires women to work for her - if you are a men, no matter what you do, you will never succeed.

In summary, I heard Scotiabank is a great place but not this specific area I work! – less
n/a
Senior Manager, International Banking (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 17, 2013
Great learning environment and exposure to International Senior Executives
Unique and charitable place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 17, 2013
Pros: volunteering with charities and non profit organizations
Cons: sad stories relating to illness, homelessness, etc.
I have been very lucky to have been given the opportunity to work for a great bank and with a great team.

There are many rewards to my position as Assistant Manager in the Donations & Sponsorships department seeing how the bank's funds are used in local communities in Canada and Latin America. I receive very positive feedback from branches who have – more... their funds matched through our bank's employee program and who are very passionate about the philathropic work our bank/department does. – less
short term contracts
Analyst, Global Cash Management in Group Treasury (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2013
No job security. Everyone was on contract.

Management was approachable.

The job was not too challenging or otherwise engaging.
Great people, great workplace, great experience
Financial Analyst, Tax Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2013
My summer work terms at Scotiabank provided me with invaluable experience. It was my first exposure to the corporate world. I was fortunate enough to work on many different types of projects with many different groups of people. I sharpened my computer and communication skills, and made a lot of great contacts along the way.
Great place for work/life balance
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), ScaroboroughSeptember 25, 2013
Great place for work/life balance. Senior management is great and provides great vision.
Amazing people, great work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Very considerate, and approachable leadership. Able to recognize their own weaknesses and ask for assistance to build a stronger delivery.
Organized workplace
Bank Teller (Former Employee), New Liskeard, ONSeptember 18, 2013
Cons: casual position (not many hours offered)
A typical day at work was to process customers banking orders. Having patience with customers is very important as you will deal with unhappy customers from time to time and need to learn how to handle the situation properly. The hardest part of my job would be that there was always so much to learn, but great training. I enjoyed the fact that if you – more... stick with it, you have great chance with advancement in the company. – less
Great co-workers and fun place to work.
Customer Service /Senior Mortgage Admin Clerk (Former Employee), Stratford, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: the pay and benefits are great while you are well.
Cons: our of town, therefore long hours away from home
Answer up to 100 calls per day and record their issues and forward to the appropriate departments
They work you hard, but fair.
Accounting Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: wide array of experiences to gain, really great supportive team environment
Cons: occasional unpaid mandatory overtime
It is all about self-motivation and initiative-taking, perhaps a bit odd outside a sales position, but it works. There isn't micro-managing every tiny thing, it's "Here is a project. It needs to be done by x time". So if you like being able to schedule yourself and have the discipline to properly pace yourself, it is a great work environment. The work – more... I was given and/or took on was challenging, interesting, and covered a lot of different aspects of the job (research, write-ups, analysis, clerical at times, meetings, presentations, lobbying, huge variety of things to do).

It was great. I was also offered any training I may have needed, without needing to fight for it, which is always a plus.

Note I worked internally and not on a sales side, which could be a vastly different experience. – less
Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Great workplace and environment, talk to and help customers with their services everyday.
Excellent Company
Business Analyst II (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2013
I enjoyed my time with Scotiabank because I got to travel around the US and Canada. Work was very rewarding
Great place to work, really strong emphasis on corporate culture and having a work environment that is conducive to achieving desired results.
Trade Floor Risk Management Summer Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2013
I worked on a special project team that was newly formed so typical days involved team meetings to discuss progress, next steps, and to brainstorm on current objectives. It was enjoyable being able to work with a great team on a project that was for educating employees in their job field.
Constant Learning Environment
Personal Banking Officer (Former Employee), TO, ONAugust 30, 2013
Pros: the environment: positive energy
Cons: old computer system
Scotiabank is a great company to work for. My team was highly competitive and provided excellent customer service beyond client’ expectation. They had aggressive sales targets and astonishingly with providing best customer service it is not difficult to achieve. I highly enjoyed helping diversified clients who spoke different languages and obtained – more... new referrals through them. If you have a passion for helping others and providing exceptional customer service, then this is the right company to work for. – less
Excellent work environment
Senior Manager, Derivatives Compliance (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2013
Excellent work environment.

Lots of opportunity for growth
Excellent company to work for
Senior Audit Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2013
Pros: very reputatable company, excellent culture and staff are treated fairly.
Demanding and rewarding work environment.
As a Branch Manager a typical day included providing excellent customer service, completing sales calls. Meeting with staff each morning, celebrating successes and working on areas requiring improvement from the day before.

We needed to ensure the work from the previous day was reviewed and balanced. Sales – more... and service meetings are carried out at various times in the week. Individual sales meetings are held with each sales staff members once per week.

As an audit Manager, we would review work and files daily, conducting fact finding discussions with staff and management and completing reports.

I learned alot about managing staff, generating sales of Bank Products and services. Through audit I learned to review manuals, the procedures carried out by staff in various branches or departments.

The hardest part of auditing I believe is the flexibility required to quickly learn and understand many departments within the bank and often in a short period of time.

I enjoyed interacting with the staff the most. Scotiabankers are dedicated hard working individuals who truly care about their customers. – less
Steady Job
Full time Graphic Designer Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2013
This job is really steady. As a graphic designer i'm taught to use my mind creatively. Now working for the bank, I don't get to use my creatively as often but still a good job to have.

About SCOTIABANK

Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming – Read more