Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Found 1,131 reviews matching the search
used to be great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC17 February 2017
The bank has undergone a lot of changes as of late, resulting in extremely overworked and unhealthy employees. Jobs have been reduced, and workloads increased.
Amazing people, good job.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON17 February 2017
The employees were a lot of fun and aided in my training. It is a small branch so my direct supervisor was able to train me personally. She helped me feel more comfortable and is very knowledgeable.

It was a great learning environment for me.
Pros
Hour long lunches, professional but not over the top
Great workplace but not full time
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB16 February 2017
I love the job itself, but wages could be better. They have pretty decent bonuses and you get rewarded for a job well done. Only the finacial advisors get full time. Not much stability, as jobs are always getting cut and new jobs being created to take place of different jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers alot. Choose you own benefits, whic is nice. Employee share program available as well which is nice, along with the perks of staff rates. Good room for advancement.
Pros
staff rates, Employee Share Program, good hours, room for advancement
Cons
low pay, not very stable, very high goal expectations
Not a great experience
Call Redirect Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 February 2017
When I was there it wasn't a great place to work. It started off great with lots of support, fun things going on and fair treatment of employees but as time went on it seemed employees were set up to fail.
A good place to work if work life balance is important to you.
Incident Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 February 2017
I enjoyed my time at Scotia. The company provided me plenty of opportunity to improve myself and was very flexible in regards to work life balance. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Scotia as a workplace nor would I hesitate in returning should an opportunity present itself.
Senior Developer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  888 Birchmount15 February 2017
The area I worked in was not the best. Management was old-fashioned and ruled by fear. Rate of pay was reduced and eventually I left. Did heart other areas were better to work in though.
excellent managment
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON14 February 2017
excellent managment and flexibility with hours, working in a friendly environment , great teamwork mentality. strict when dealing with customer service and helping resolve the clients problems
Scotia Bank
Teller (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 February 2017
Working at this company allows you to interact with my different customer portfolio's and work on your presentation skills. Being able to communicate with every age group, allows you to become a better problem solver and think analytically. A great job and has a lot of experience.
Pros
Learning and free lunchs
Cons
non to be taken
More productivity in Agile Methodology
QA Lead, Manual Testing (UAT) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
It was nice to be part of the UAT team. more responsibilities and more dedication. its quite good to work in the Agile methodology in the the war rooms with the dev and business team together.
If you like sales, that's the only positions that will be left soon
Document Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
Scotiabank is going online which means that there are limited opportunities for any support or customer service positions. They are rapidly changing, closing branches and limiting positions. Pretty much the only positions left are in Sales.
Pros
Friendly staff, co-operative with needs, accommodating
Cons
high pressure, stressful, overtime must be approved by manager, managers always want more from you no matter what, no security anymore

Want to know more about Scotiabank?

Ask a question
Productive, friendly place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
Always enjoyed working with Scotiabank, and the clients they have. They are very team oriented. The clients are always saying it is a great atmosphere when they came in.
Good pay for the job
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 February 2017
Alot of political background stuff, and pressure to move ahead. Sales goals are all that matter. Good Pay for the job if you are a teller, not as competitive the higher up you get (from what I gather)
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Stable, Conservative, Prudent Bank
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Working at Scotia is rewarding in the sense of job security - at least until recently. However, the salaries are on the lower side on the average, at least in the Capital Markets area. The decision taking system is not agile.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Salaries
NO training
Senior Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS5 February 2017
5 years in the financial services industry, steadily progressing. I leave CIBC for Scotiabank and suddenly hit a wall. They made absolutely no effort to train me. No time was spent showing me their systems, their paperwork, how to do my job. It's a disaster.
Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
Emphasis on Superficial
Financial Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  NS2 February 2017
My recent experience is limited to the Branch network.This is, and justifiably so, a company in business for profit so sales are very important.
A fabulous place to work for those who can and want to "sell" credit cards, mutual funds and a plethora of other products..if you are truly customer service oriented and wish to provide advice in the vein of making your clients better off...this is probably not a great fit!
Pros
Employee Share Program, good benefit package
Cons
Long hours, conflicting messages with respect to expectations, poor training program
Great
Lending Service Officer/Client Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Great company to work for. A lot of opportunity to grow your career. Management is very supportive of self-development.
Friendly staff
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON1 February 2017
I do find that the staff at Scotia are a great bunch of people and a pleasure to work with.
The coaching is also well structured and I feel like I always have help when I need it.
BNS Teller Review
Customer Service Representative (Teller) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
Typical day consisted of working the front teller, most transactions consisted of people depositing cheques or withdrawing cash. Other uncommon tasks include issuing drafts, processing mortgage payments, balancing cash books, transferring cash to and from the vault, assisting and logging with safety deposit boxes, and tallying up the leftover cash from your wicket and making sure you are balanced by closing time.

All training was provided by the company and you had a supervisor as well as a manager to provide any help regarding procedures you might not be familiar in.

The workplace culture was very diverse, a good range of senior and youth as the position is very lucrative for advancing to further positions in the bank--it is in fact a required starting point.

The hardest part of the job are the constant updates which required you to focus on the job with as much regard as a university course, you will be subjected to continuous learning as policies change often.

The most enjoyable part would be the interaction that you get from clients. Your clients could be anyone and from anywhere as are their stories.
Pros
Corporate environment experience, training provided, great benefits for part or full time
Cons
very rare but sometimes your branch may get robbed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval