Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work but unclear about the directives
Bilingual Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 16, 2016
The job was good because of the people around who were making it interesting. The clients were nice and easy to deal with. The hardest part of the job was knowing exactly what your expectations were on a daily basis. It was unclear as to what are the statictics that were important for your job.
Productive work place
Senior QA, QA Lead (contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
Productive work place with a fast pace of projects and highly professional contractors. The type of environment where you will sharpen your multitasking and technical skills in balancing between many projects and meeting tough deadlines.
No quality advice, just sales
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
Retail banking is a great place to work if you have no notable skills but knows how to regurgitate a handful of words in different variations .
Scotiabank has been a good place to work with great people and lots of opportunities to learn.
Senior Manager, Wealth Management Compliance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
I have worked at Scotiabank for over two decades and have had a variety of roles. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
Pros
Diverse operations and business lines
Cons
Large institution, so approvals move slowly.
Too much administrative work in a sales role
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Sales people need to be given more time to be able to sell and do less admin work. The bank has recently bee slashing operations jobs which increases admin work on sales staff
Support Desk Officer (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ONMarch 5, 2016
This is a great place to work. I would have nothing bad to say about Scotia bank. Very friendly staff. Work is challenging. But the training is amazing. Scotia bank does not give up on you.
Credit Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
a typical day is very productive, you learn something new everyday. Management is very helpful and are always looking for input and new ideas to better the goals of the department. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers, it is a very fun place to work
Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 26, 2016
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Pros
job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons
pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
Excellent Company
Senior Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2016
My experience is great, I am a huge fan of the company. The management is welcoming and supportive of growing careers. The salary is great and my growth at Scotia has been strong.
Creative and Workcentric
Manager Credit & Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Scotia Bank is really an employee oriented organization always providing support to the employees through " Employee Engagement Program" where i got a chance to speak about my ideas contributing to the growth of the organization.
Productive and fun environment to work.
Customer Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 21, 2016
I learned great team building skills, enjoyed working with my coworkers. Typical day would be dependant on how busy the branch was.However overall experience was great.Learned a lot about myself and the banking industry.
Positive changes to customer oriented
Senior Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Interaction between Canadian and Latin American culture is a win-win game.
Company in permanent change. Nobody know what is going to happen at the end
People are cooperative. Nice place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Good work and life balance.Supportive managers. Cooperative co-workers. But it is difficult to be promoted even you do a good job.
Enjoyable warm place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Typical day included me addressing customers concerns. As well as taking care of customers daily needs. Throughout my time at Scotiabank I learned how to increase my communication skills as I was able to meet and network with a handful of various customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Various changes
Higly Demanding workplace
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hinton, ABFebruary 16, 2016
I gained strong communication skills by interacting with clients. Co-workers are friendly and I enjoy working with them.
People are knowledgeable and always helpful.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 14, 2016
A typical day at work is to provide excellent customer service and financial advice as well as provide the best suitable products.
Stable jobs, but inefficient work process
Manager - Customer Knowledge and Insight (Current Employee) –  TotontoFebruary 9, 2016
As a successful corporation Scotiabank provides a stable environment with good pay, benefit and learning opportunities. However, work flows are inefficient. It takes a long time to initiate projects as everything involves multi-layer management and often projects are done redundantly in multiple teams.
Bank is innovatively growing, career growth opportunities within the bank, Managment in a nascent stage
Manager - Fixed Income, Product Control (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Scotiabank is growing while the other banks are showing signs of slowing down. The bank is developing a fresh vision and the bank is trying to venture in to some unique endeavours. The vision however needs to seep in to other groups.

A typical day at work requires time sensitive reports to be delivered to trading floor, risk management and finance. Month end and quarter ends are particularly busy and require working over the weekends for timely reporting to upper management. This requires attention to detail and sensitivity to time given the information is published for the investors of the bank.

The co-workers are hard working however, some times skills do not match the work that they are asked to deliver. Training opportunities have been made available to the staff .The staff has varying levels of competencies. Its a challenge and an opportunity for personal growth.

Hardest part of the job is to get timely approvals from the front desk and risk management on the month end valuation adjustments. It needs to ensure that the analysis reflects the market conditions and is conservative enough to protect the bank at large on any adverse market movements. Being a part of a big organisation also requires ability deal effectively with internal business partners who might be apathetic to the requirements of my group. This also create opportunities for improvements in the processes and sensitising staff to changing requirements. The banks are all heading towards tight operational requirements and differentiation has become complicated. Hence, during my time Scotia I have
  more... seen and been part of huge improvements.

The enjoyable part of the job is that I feel I have earned my living successfully and rightfully every day. I have been given an opportunity to create a difference every day.
Pros
Part of huge change, and opportunities in various parts of the bank
Cons
Mismatch of talent and deliverables
friendly work environment with a great office culture
Associate Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
My managers where very understanding of my commute and very understanding with personal issues. Great place to work. I truly felt like I was contributing to the company throughout my internship and would highly recommend working for the company.
Workplace
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Employees are treated with respect. Management always strives to deliver a clear message to the employees and keep everyone in the loop with the changing Canadian Banking landscape.