Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Scotia Bank
Teller (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 February 2017
Working at this company allows you to interact with my different customer portfolio's and work on your presentation skills. Being able to communicate with every age group, allows you to become a better problem solver and think analytically. A great job and has a lot of experience.
Pros
Learning and free lunchs
Cons
non to be taken
More productivity in Agile Methodology
QA Lead, Manual Testing (UAT) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
It was nice to be part of the UAT team. more responsibilities and more dedication. its quite good to work in the Agile methodology in the the war rooms with the dev and business team together.
If you like sales, that's the only positions that will be left soon
Document Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
Scotiabank is going online which means that there are limited opportunities for any support or customer service positions. They are rapidly changing, closing branches and limiting positions. Pretty much the only positions left are in Sales.
Pros
Friendly staff, co-operative with needs, accommodating
Cons
high pressure, stressful, overtime must be approved by manager, managers always want more from you no matter what, no security anymore
Productive, friendly place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
Always enjoyed working with Scotiabank, and the clients they have. They are very team oriented. The clients are always saying it is a great atmosphere when they came in.
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Stable, Conservative, Prudent Bank
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Working at Scotia is rewarding in the sense of job security - at least until recently. However, the salaries are on the lower side on the average, at least in the Capital Markets area. The decision taking system is not agile.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Salaries
NO training
Senior Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS5 February 2017
5 years in the financial services industry, steadily progressing. I leave CIBC for Scotiabank and suddenly hit a wall. They made absolutely no effort to train me. No time was spent showing me their systems, their paperwork, how to do my job. It's a disaster.
Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
Emphasis on Superficial
Financial Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  NS2 February 2017
My recent experience is limited to the Branch network.This is, and justifiably so, a company in business for profit so sales are very important.
A fabulous place to work for those who can and want to "sell" credit cards, mutual funds and a plethora of other products..if you are truly customer service oriented and wish to provide advice in the vein of making your clients better off...this is probably not a great fit!
Pros
Employee Share Program, good benefit package
Cons
Long hours, conflicting messages with respect to expectations, poor training program
Great
Lending Service Officer/Client Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Great company to work for. A lot of opportunity to grow your career. Management is very supportive of self-development.
Friendly staff
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON1 February 2017
I do find that the staff at Scotia are a great bunch of people and a pleasure to work with.
The coaching is also well structured and I feel like I always have help when I need it.
Well run business focused on risk and cost management
Technology Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
A good place to work along side a culturally diverse and inclusive employee population. Management staff focused on success and enabling staff to achieve. Many bright people can be found wiling to mentor and to assist upon request.
Pros
Well run business focused on client service, risk and cost management
Cons
Many have been packaged out due to staff cuts.
Fun working in busy enviornment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
● Money entries all over the branches
● Entry match with list
● Separate entries with branches
● Look for hold and release money entries
Excellent experience
Senior Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Birchmount Park, ON26 January 2017
I really enjoyed working at Scotiabank, it was a fantastic experience. The teams were very collaborative, and the projects were really interesting.
Strong communication and team effort workplace environment.
Client Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Working with The Bank of Nova Scotia for years and taught me that teamwork and understanding and both working with staff for coverage is priority. The workplace is shown great effort in reducing and minimizing risks by following direct regulatory and compliance rules.
Pros
Several campaigns and events
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Scotiabank is an ever changing corporate environment.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Provided superior customer service experience by quickly and professionally handling customer inquiries. Managed staff and daily operations including the implementation of new corporate strategies and operational processes. Continuous growth of employees by coaching/training new and existing staff.

The most enjoyable part of being a Service Manager is building relationships with clients and staff. Providing the best service possible makes for an excellent customer experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Robberies
good
Business System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
did co-op in scotia , had nice mentors . good place to start your career or begin one. I personally recommend the place to work.
Financial Advisor Training
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 January 2017
Training was not very extensive. Learning was done over the phone and could have had a better learning experience for their employees. The computer systems that were used were out of date I felt.
Pros
great hours
Cons
Computer system.
Good Company
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Great Company to work for.
Flexible time lines.
Great Company culture
Great people
Allows you to work from home
Internal systems are great
Good group dynamic
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2017
I work in the indirect loans department and I payout car loans, write letters to clients and also update any client information on their profiles.
My supervisors are very understanding about my school schedule and offer flexible hours so it is a great balance.
During my time at Scotiabank, there has been changes in the structure and also there have been new technologies in place. I had to learn about a new check scanning machine and also had to learn about the system in order to credit or debit client's accounts.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am not doing the same task everyday, there is always something new and different to learn which keeps work exciting.
The hardest part of the job would be that sometimes we are so overwhelmed with work, but there is not enough time to finish - this has taught me about time management and prioritizing.
Pros
Flexible hours