Scotiabank Employee Reviews

a nice place to stay until retire
Former back office employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 16, 2015
Unless you have a willing to take responsibility supervisor.
Should promote someone with leadership and be fair to be a supervisor than just a person having "more experience".
Other than that I enjoyed to work there.
Pros
quite a few benefits
Cons
bank prefer to invest money on programs which can shorten head count
fun workplace with great colleagues
Bilingual Bank Specialist representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day at work is to arrive on time for your work schedule. Review emails and respond time sensitively and by prioritize accordingly. Create/action/review/close cases build daily. Answer incoming calls from customer, listen and resolve with professionalism. look for new innovative ways to help the business and present to management as procedure requires. Follow rules and procedures according to business requirement. Time management and prioritize work and separate socializing time and work time and using it effectively are a few of the things I've learned through years and having a sense to better myself. I am very personable hence hardly have conflict with co-workers and teamwork is one of my biggest strength. Hardest part of the job is leaving things unfinished for the next day, I like to have things done or resolve within moments, so I can also say that patience has been build up for me as well in a sense. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the day is over, through no personal gain, realized that I have help so many today and being acknowledged by the business for it.
Pros
Great atmosphere, constant changes, helping customers and business is acknowledged
Cons
short lunches, difficult to see the end result of processing benefits
Very professional workforce. Demanding projects that exposed me to the Business, Technology and Vendors
Project Manager/Project Coordinator - HR Projects (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 10, 2016
Because of my diverse background, my contract involved a variety of different task and roles. From the PCO perspective I organized project meetings, minutes and issue logs.
From an analyst perspective I authored various scope and test strategy documents as well as the project plans which were used to manage projects.
Team was very professional and receptive to share their time and views on a variety of issues.Interfacing with the team was possible the most enjoyable aspect of the assignment.
HRSS had a variety of end users in the Business community and being a contractor, determining where/who to go to in order to get issues resolved, signed off was the most difficult part of the job
Pros
Extremely cooperative team
Cons
Requirements constantly changed; week manager
With the right leadership team a very positive place to work
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work involves various administrative task associated with servicing business clients, followed by meetings with clients at the branch or at their place of work. Meeting my assigned clients represents the best time of my day and doing administrative services represents the least favorite time of the day.
Pros
Free banking
Cons
Weak client experience technological innovation
good atmosphere
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
No communication between branches and policies
but overall a good company to work for
Lots of work and sometimes overworked
for the salary made
Positive Work Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 22, 2015
If company paid better they may attract higher valued employees. Positive place to work, good benefits and work/home life management
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2015
Great team atmosphere, great hours, pay and benefits. Would recommend working there to anyone. Very understanding of personal needs and willing to assist with anything, everyone is very supportive of each other.
Team friendly environment
Head Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2015
Working for the Bank of Nova Scotia is an excellent experience, as the company puts a huge focus on team work and this is easily displayed at the branch level. Management does a great job in assisting customer service representatives with any internal issues or concerns. Supervisors look to provide on the job assistance and make everyday a bit easier. Most enjoyable part of the job is to provide customers with an excellent experience and seeing their financial lifestyle grow for the better.
Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Russell, ONJuly 21, 2016
Ive really enjoyed my time at Scotiabank. Our client base is really good. Small town, so I have had the opportunity to build personal relationships and the clients have gained my trust. The atmosphere inside the branch amongst my co-workers is awesome. Everyone is there for each other.
Pros
Providing excellent customer service
Cons
Not enough money
Great work environment with plenty of room for advancement!
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 1, 2015
Scotiabank is a great work environment for anyone looking to advance in a financial institution or help customer with financial planning.

I have been very happy with the compensation for the earlier positions in the bank, but there have been recent changes in the Financial Advisor postions that should result in a higher salary.

Plenty of advancement opportunities with a long list of learning plans and courses. Staff is very friendly though management style changes based on location.

Working with Scotiabank for 4 years and would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
great work environment, customer focused, much room for advancement
Cons
strong sales environment, excessive hands on management, confusing goal focusing
Customer Service Representative - Scotiabank
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 26, 2016
My responsibilities are interacting with customers daily to help meet their day to day banking needs and resolving resolutions helping them bank efficiently.

I have a passion for giving financial advice and solutions to customers and sales driven promoting Scotiabank products and services. I have learned ways on developing sales and I am currently one of the top sales representative from my team.

My coworkers, management and myself are always putting customers needs first and making sure that our customers leave satisfied with their banking services.

The hardest part of the job I faced was the learning curve during my training process. Attention to detail is very important and mistakes can lead to problematic situations such as loss of money or anti money laundering. It is important that training is taken seriously and learning as much as you can before you are on your own.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting happy customers and knowing that you were able to be an excellent service to them meeting their day to day needs and by providing financial solutions.
Multi-tasking
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLAugust 5, 2016
Throughout my time at the bank each day consisted of assisting clients, giving them financial guidance, and informing them of services available to fit their needs. I learned to work with a team and contribute to a positive working environment. Meeting different people was the most enjoyable part of the job.
HORRIBLE, unpayed, under appreciated, lay offs
Dealer Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2016
Salary is below market, your expected to do far more than you're paid for, pressure, stress, and little to no reward. immature bad management, all about favoritism, not quality of work, if you have an opinion they will run you out. mass lay-offs, only concerned with bottom line.
Pros
Cons
everything
Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ENGMay 10, 2015
• Provided customers personalized financial plans tailored to their needs and goals in their day-to-day banking, borrowing, investing, and protection
• Identified benefits to customers by reviewing their accounts and providing solutions to save them time and money
• Recommended products and services that customers would provide long term benefit
• Maintained an organized agenda to disburse my daily activities so I may be able to identify and prioritize my customer meetings in person, by phone, or through email
• Focused on working as a team to achieve weekly targets and promote current bank initiatives
• Processed new product setups and prepared the documentation for customers to review
• Listened to the customer and discovered what goals they are looking to achieve and where they’d like to be within the next 3-5 years
• Reviewed action plans to reach weekly targets and identified where to make adjustments
Layoffs
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
They are cutting hours as well as positions therefore you are required to do more than normal job duties. You are in charge of making multiple referrals, knowledgeable about products, learning different systems and transactions. Hard work is not appreciated and just meeting expectations is not enough.
Pros
paid 15 minute break
Cons
no hours
Best place to gain experience, Average salary, Awesome Job Culture
Customer Service/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Maintained various records as per requirements and handling books and files
Managed customer data base by completing data entry and maintaining balances at month end
Preparation of various documents relating to appointments, rescheduling, and correspondence outlining customer concerns
Great place to learn and grow
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 29, 2015
Scotiabank helped me polish my skills as I kept moving up the ladder . It has a great multi cultural environment . I got to work as team leader and team player at the same time and was trusted with great deal of responsibilities which further instilled confidence in me.
Management I got to work with took great interest in my career development and coached me in the right direction .
Dealing with customers helped learn a lot more about growing demands of financial needs of each individual client .
It is a great place to work .
Great experience and challenging work place
Manager of Customer Service/HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 25, 2016
Continuous changes to stay competitive in the industry, there are always working on how to best help the customers. The work is challenging but there is always help. It's never a dull moment between customers and staff there is always work to be done.
Fast paced, continuous problem solving
accounts Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2016
Typical Day working in the New Accounts Department at Scotiabank always feels rewarding.

I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience by managing the phones on a day to day basis, and have grown relationships with the branches helping them meet the processing requirements is a respectable timely fashion. I really enjoy being able to processing updates between calls on clients accounts and learning better way to multitask.

My co-workers have all been very supportive and open to helping out in any times of need. We bring ideas and solutions to the team and we try to provide better processing techniques to the table to help meet the clients needs. The hardest part of my job is also my most enjoyable part of my job, advising difficult situations and having to problem solve and find the answers. Its my least because some people can be more difficult than others but the end result is always rewarding.

I have learned a great deal of the banking industry and the every day needs we have to provide to our clients.
Pros
great experience
Cons
sitting for long periods