Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Good environment..not a bad work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Everyday is a different challenge as we have to deal with different types of customer.

Co-workers are very helpful. Salary is very average for all the hardwork that we do.
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
HORRIBLE, unpayed, under appreciated, lay offs
Dealer Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2016
Salary is below market, your expected to do far more than you're paid for, pressure, stress, and little to no reward. immature bad management, all about favoritism, not quality of work, if you have an opinion they will run you out. mass lay-offs, only concerned with bottom line.
Pros
Cons
everything
Professional and respectful, with a touch of bubbly.
Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
A typical day at the Scotiabank Saddledome is one that is filled with a lot of energy and passion. Its such a wonderful place to work and definitely has its benefits. It is so much customer interaction and hearing others stories. It is honestly a never dull moment! Our upper management is always so pleasant to work with, always helpful when you're stuck with a difficult situation. The Hardest part here is honestly just when it gets busy, not so much hard tho. More like chaotic. Some of the most enjoyable parts of working here is that, you get to see concerts that you normally don't, discounts on hitmen and roughnecks tickets, some of the staff events and you basically make your own shift!
Pros
Staff BBQs, discounts, ticket draws, Smiles program
Cons
part time
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Nice place to work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Scotiabank is a nice place to work at. Head Office is very innovative. Work can be overwhelming sometimes. Lots of overtime that management is not necessarily willing to pay you. Very flexible. You have the opportunity to hone on your strengths to achieve your goals/targets. Office politics is the same as any other big 5 banks.
Pros
Very flexible.
Cons
Strong franchise with great opportunity to add value in your role
Director - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
The best part of the job is that I feel that I am a trusted adviser to senior management, providing valuable insights and analytics around the business utilizing your financial analysis and reporting skill.

Playing a key role as part of the decision support is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

It is definitely a place for someone who thrives on challenge.
Pros
Challenging and Engaging work
Cons
Long Hours
mortgage
Bilingual Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2017
scotiabank is a great company with an excellent culture i work with them since 2011, i am lucky to learn and be surrounded by people who help me to grow.
as Funder i am in charge of my own day no micro management i am allowed to come when i when and to organize by date based on my duties. in fact i am in charge of mortgage funding in province of BC , ON , AB. i work in collaboration with brokers, lawyers and underwriter . i manage mortgage financing and / or refinancing , make sure that scotiabank interests are protected.
the management is amazing as i said no micro management you organize your work the way you want.

the hardest part of the job is the organization + prioritizing there is always something that pop up at the last minute, escalations dels, funds transfer issue , coverage etc...
being fast and proactive is the key.
the most enjoyable part is my team i have such a great team , i work with people i trust and who can trust me,we work as a team . i like this part of my work + the work environment is appropriate for self development
Place to grow and enhance the skills.
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
Place for growth
Enhance knowledge in accounting
Getting three week of vacation and health benefits with match to RRSP contributions
Credit analyst position helped me to learn about analysing the financial statements.
Great Place to work
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
Great benefits, treats employees fairly, great co workers. Would be nice to have more flexibility with schedules. Fair time off and comparable to other financial industries.
n/a
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 July 2016
It's a good place to work. Little room to advance in certain positions. Benefits are decent, vacation is standard. Management accommodating, good work/personal life balance.
Good Workplace, Limited opportunities for advancement
Operations Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
Scotia iTRADE has solid management and good work/life balance. Unfortunately its salaries are very stagnant and there are limited opportunities for advancement internally.
Good group dynamic
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2017
I work in the indirect loans department and I payout car loans, write letters to clients and also update any client information on their profiles.
My supervisors are very understanding about my school schedule and offer flexible hours so it is a great balance.
During my time at Scotiabank, there has been changes in the structure and also there have been new technologies in place. I had to learn about a new check scanning machine and also had to learn about the system in order to credit or debit client's accounts.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am not doing the same task everyday, there is always something new and different to learn which keeps work exciting.
The hardest part of the job would be that sometimes we are so overwhelmed with work, but there is not enough time to finish - this has taught me about time management and prioritizing.
Pros
Flexible hours
Oparations, analyses
Fund Accountant / Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
Great work culture, meet lots of new people, socializing. Well structured organization with lots of opportunities for promotion. Although, the salary range in not high enough on the low/medium levels, hard to get the well paid position even with CPA.
Emphasis on Superficial
Financial Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  NS2 February 2017
My recent experience is limited to the Branch network.This is, and justifiably so, a company in business for profit so sales are very important.
A fabulous place to work for those who can and want to "sell" credit cards, mutual funds and a plethora of other products..if you are truly customer service oriented and wish to provide advice in the vein of making your clients better off...this is probably not a great fit!
Pros
Employee Share Program, good benefit package
Cons
Long hours, conflicting messages with respect to expectations, poor training program
Good Intern Experience
Business Process SME (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2016
Small Projects:
o Ticketing inventory system project: to consolidate past records for comparison and reconciliation using Microsoft Excel.
o Lost and found inventory management project: to reconcile the actual found to actual returns; created monthly employee-wise reports, comparison chart for lost and found against report of actual returns.
o Station Terminal Operations Communication project: at Pearson Airport during their Christmas peak hours, learning the procedures and functioning of the system they used as well as managing last minute critical situations.
o Hands on experience with Customer Service Manager on ramp
Pros
Comfortable Work environment
Cons
Internship only
Good Organization to learn
Operations Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Fast pasted, highly interactive, great learning opportunities for those who are willing to work hard. Opportunities for advancement and training are available for those that keep informed.
Pros
Big organization
Cons
environment dependent on your V.P.
Scotiabank
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
Reason place to work, lots of changes as it Scotiabank is trying to redefine itself in the banking industry. Overall its a good place to start your career, but may only be a place to start not grow your career
Pros
People
Cons
Long hours, below average pay
Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 February 2016
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Pros
job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons
pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
Productive and friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 October 2016
At Scotia bank I was a bank teller thus I learned how to perform day to day transactions, such as bill payments, updating customer information etc. Working with a great sum of money was out of the norm, as I was 16 years old at the time, and eventually became accustomed to it. I had the best group of co-workers and even better management. They were very helpful and gave me constructive criticism when needed. The hardest part of the job was working with the software on the computers and knowing when to click on what tab. There were many actions that can be performed, daily, and it did get confusing remembering the procedures for a couple transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a client-employee relationship and working in a field that is related to my education.
Pros
Related to my field, great staff