SCOTIABANK

SCOTIABANK Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and energetic
Personal Banking Officer Trainee (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: high discipline
Cons: lack of training
Productive and energetic-highly disciplined- in Scotiabank I learnt as to typical mortgage customers and applications, learnt a lot about different kinds of financial services and products as well as investment funds. I worked on different credit applications such as credit applications.
Not a fun work place
CSR (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 16, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: yes
Stressful fast paced...lots to learn in short period...Upper management are not fair.....no room for moving up....especially if you are colored....I know of a couple MCS and Bank Manager who are very racist and disapprove any application for advancement within the company.

Co-workers are mean and disrespectful because the suck up to the supervisors.....news – more... carriers.....they are fair to some staff and unfair to others.....I was on a four hour shift and was told by the supervisor that I an not allowed a break.....which is 15 minutes.....These are the kind of people work and supervise staff @ Scotiabank. – less
Contract position - very competitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioMay 15, 2014
Contract position - Very competitive
Learned Bank Drafts, money orders, foreign exchange
The other employee's very nice
Multicultural and tolerant
Billing Analyst in Global Transaction Banking (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: flexible work timings
Cons: travel was long
Wow its Monday company. I liked it as my first job in the country
Not the best place
Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2014
Pros: some free banking/learning about money and the shares plan
Cons: workload is stressful, vacation time is based on the centre, not the department, system is slow/keeps crashing, unable to email statements to customers who request them
Scotiabank's best feature are the people that work there, which to me is a little disheartening. Their business practices are a little off in my eyes, such as their training. For example, I am a new employee and was thrown on to live calls with real customers, dealing with their live accounts, while in training. I was not comfortable with that at all. – more... Coming in from being unemployed and knowing how sensitive an issue money is to alot of people, that was very surprising.

I now help support the loans and mortgages department, which I took because I needed the full time hours/salary. If I had known the training would have just been one week, three days of which, were spent reading manuals and having MAYBE one hour of computer "play time" to learn processes and procedures, I might have stayed in the entry level role a little longer to get used to the system, which is VERY outdated.

The workload is not very "employee friendly". Not that I'm at work to breeze by, but there is something to be said about making the employees happy by not treating them like dogs and just expecting them to take hours upon hours of calls, back to back to back, without room to leave a note on a customers account. Our time is counted against us by the minute, even if we take a 10 second breath between calls, which goes against our statistics, which goes against our merit increase. That's just one of the measures that we have to compete with.

I feel that if Scotiabank was to really look at how they do things, they would see that they would need to;

1. Bring in an updated system that is more user friendly and easier to navigate, would make calls go faster, which would in turn lessen the amount of call wait times for our customers.

2. Train new hires THOROUGHLY with "dummy" accounts and not throw them on the phones while they are in training just to help alleviate some of the call volume, which would help them make less mistakes and increase confidence in the customers when they speak to an agent.

3. Change their branch hours to help accommodate our changing customer base. There are too many branches that don't have hours that are conducive to the way our customers lives are, terrible hours and an inconsistency in the practices that they offer. – less
Great place to work but not enough room to advance and I need a change
My current role is document specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 8, 2014
Pros: free gym, great co-workers, good salary
Cons: management, little room for advancement
I have obtained a wealth of knowledge as it pertains to banking and communication. I have become a great leader and coach and have been a mentor with great success. My co-workers have been amazing and management is decent but unfortunately, a large percentage of the management team is afraid of change and it holds the bank and its people back. I love – more... learning and all kinds of challenges and dealing with people. – less
Toxic Environment
Loans Administration Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 3, 2014
Pros: work location
Cons: 10 minutes for lunch
Verbally Abused, Dirty Management (Lying, Backstabbing Employees), Upper Management were Alcoholics/Coke Heads
(1) Retail Banking Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 2, 2014
• Maintaining the accounts of the customers;
• Opening of accounts of customers on AS-400;
• Contacting customers for promoting the products of the bank;
• Ensuring compliance of accounts of customers; and
• Liaising with my colleagues and superiors for smooth running of the team.
Social Activity- Business Consultation Course
Business Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 23, 2014
- Learned a lot about the company
- Internal and external analysis
- Plans for expansion- perceptual mapping
productive,highly detailed oriented team work,
Customer Service Support Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2014
it can be fun but very stressful at the same time due to the nature of the job
Excellent Place of Employment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), St. Marys, ONApril 15, 2014
Pros: talk to customers every day
I had an excellent experience at Scotiabank, I loved every minute of it, even when it got stressful. My co-workers were amazing and were always willing to help when you needed it.
multi-cultural company
SENIOR ANALYST - FINANCE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 6, 2014
lots of opportunities; very stable; multi-cultural working environment
From Call Center to Account Manager Small Business
Account Manager Small Business (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 4, 2014
Pros: training, promotions, team that feels like family, managers who support you
Cons: pay is weak, weak resolution program for internal conflict with supervisors
I started with Scotiabank in their Calgary Call Center in 1999 and earned a promotion to Account Manager Small Business in the branch system.

Why did I leave? While the pay is the lower end of the big 5 Canadian banks, it was a poor fit with my supervisor that caused me resign from BNS. I took my issues through the resolution channels and they had – more... nothing they could do and so rather than resent my career, I resigned, that aside, BNS is a phenomenal employer.

If you are looking for an organization that rewards performance with promotions and will provide you all the training you can take - Scotiabank is your spot. I loved my 5 years with Scotiabank and would go back in a second. Once a Scotiabank, always a Scotiabanker. – less
Learnt alot as totally new position to my previous jobs .
Customer Representative/Teller (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 25, 2014
Pros: dealing with different people, challenging, informative .
Cons: weekend hours, salary
Was in training so had to do module of exams most day . Responsible for cash handling for bank and customers . On tellers position you deal with helping customers and deal with there problems as most of time you are their first point of contact . Have to be particular and accurate with bank procedures, information given to customers and with dealing – more... with cash . I learned that customers can challenge you but due to my experience over the years have learned to manage these situations . I love meeting people and trying to give them 100% at all times. – less
vigorous and fast paced
Senior account officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: long hours
challanging and fast paced

margins and exposures

good management

helpful co-workers

deadlines

the people
OK Workplace
Customer Support Rep & Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Regina, SKMarch 24, 2014
Pros: good fun staff to work with
Cons: underpaid for the flack you have to take from customer.
You are underpaid for the type of customer flack you have to deal with.
Productive and great workplace
Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
Pros: free parking, cafeteria on site
I enjoy going to work, not every day is the same. It keeps me challenged. I learned to work with different personalities and to become a better communicator. My co-workers are great to work with and everyone gets along.
Scotiabank Front Line
Customer Service & Support Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 8, 2014
I have enjoyed the connections I have made while being employed at Scotiabank. I believe you can make great references and collect a lot of diverse experience at any level you are employed at. There are multiple ways to advance in the company depending on what your strong suits are.
Senior Manager, Finance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: log hours
Excellent place to work. Great work/life balance, good benefits. Great opportunities for advancement. Competitive salaries.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee), CalgaryFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: very good management & training team
Cons: hours are not flexible always
Learned a lot about financial sector. Scotiabank has good growth opportunity. Just prove yourself to your manager.

About SCOTIABANK

Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming – Read more