Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

An inside look into the life of a Financial Advisor at Scotiabank
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 10, 2016
* ability to advance in scotiabank is encouraged and attainable
* reasonable work hours at various locations
* scotiabank has a fantastic team/community

* A typical day involves meeting with clients to discuss credit ratings or credit availability. Processing loan requests, discussing financial planning strategies, discussing high interest paying accounts, ordering and reviewing home appraisals, filing documents or faxing them. Replying to telephone or email messages in a timely manner.
Participating in team meetings and providing input as to how we can improve day to day customer satisfaction.

* I have learned that the more independent you are in this environment the quicker you will succeed and be recognized

* I personally feel the management at Scotiabank are not trained well enough in to lead their branches to continual success, possibly temporary success but not long term.

* The hardest part of my job is meeting aggressive sales targets on a daily, monthly, quarterly report. I work at a branch that tends to be slower and doesn't have as much foot traffic which means meeting the sales targets requires constantly digging for opportunities and never taking a moment for granted.

* The best part of my job, I enjoy helping people. I have personally helped some of my clients purchase their first home,car,luxury boat, cottage etc. I have also helped clients start a savings strategy for their children to ensure their college tuition would be paid for. The satisfaction that comes from someone trusting you with their future is rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Aggressive sales targets
Cheap parking
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 10, 2016
SDA is an ok place to work but their values arent supported by practices. Weak training and bad customer service. Management needs work.
Pros
a couple
Cons
Many
This was an excellent field school
Validation Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
Gets you ready for what to expect in a CRM job
Very labour intensive, attention to detail. Physically taxing.
Great interaction with other students, will definitely make new friends and have great outdoor experiences.
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Run away if you can
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2016
Does not give you a chance to perform. Lot of internal politics.
You need to ask for work. Meaningful will not come your way unless you ask for it. If possible, stay away from the current leadership direction
Pros
Pension after 1 year
Cons
Lot!
Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Fast-Paced, Tough but fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 30, 2016
Very fast paced environment, room for growth however must dedicate all of your time to do so. Can be intense at times
fun workplace
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2016
It is a fun work environment and I've learned a lot as well as met a lot of amazing people. Definitely appreciate the experience.
Excellent customer service
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJune 27, 2016
Had the opportunity to cross train as Financial Advisor, opened new chequing, savings, investment accounts and set up loans.
Excellent place to work
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Langley,BCJune 27, 2016
Learned how to post customer transactions, process daily reports, setup, fund & payout mortgages, loans and other credit products.
Sb
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 23, 2016
Great place to work , people are amazing , good work/life balance, really good hours , good moral , I learned alot about banking. The best part about working here is the people and getting to know .
Pros
holiday meals, outings
Cons
pay
one bank, one team one goal
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 22, 2016
wonderfull enviroment, advancement opportunity, team athmospere, long working hours, multitasking a must, digital age - job security
Scotiabank - One Team, One Goal
Payroll Accounting (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
Worked in a dynamic team with experienced and professional individuals, to constantly overcome difficult obstacles and to achieve the bank's goal.
Friendly work environment.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Good hours for full time employees.Paid breaks and benefit package. Good training provided for new employees.Great employee incentives.
Pros
Locations
Cons
Casual employee
Push push push product.
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2016
A 90 year old man walks into your office... push an Amex Gold (or what ever the product of the week is) on him. Its all about meeting your targets (even targets your Branch Manager has added to the official targets), do not matter whats good for the client.
Bsc
Member in Tamil Community Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Excellent bank to work for. Best customer and employee service. proud to be working at Scotiabank and will recommend friends and family to apply.
Great Workplace and like a big family
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QCJune 12, 2016
Great colleagues
Learned how the banking world works
Learned what stress is al about
Taught me how to communicate with the public and become a people person
Pros
Greta benefits
Cons
The Bank Hold Ups
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks