Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Great place to learn and grow
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 29, 2015
Scotiabank helped me polish my skills as I kept moving up the ladder . It has a great multi cultural environment . I got to work as team leader and team player at the same time and was trusted with great deal of responsibilities which further instilled confidence in me.
Management I got to work with took great interest in my career development and coached me in the right direction .
Dealing with customers helped learn a lot more about growing demands of financial needs of each individual client .
It is a great place to work .
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Team friendly environment
Head Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2015
Working for the Bank of Nova Scotia is an excellent experience, as the company puts a huge focus on team work and this is easily displayed at the branch level. Management does a great job in assisting customer service representatives with any internal issues or concerns. Supervisors look to provide on the job assistance and make everyday a bit easier. Most enjoyable part of the job is to provide customers with an excellent experience and seeing their financial lifestyle grow for the better.
Benefits
Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ENGMay 10, 2015
• Provided customers personalized financial plans tailored to their needs and goals in their day-to-day banking, borrowing, investing, and protection
• Identified benefits to customers by reviewing their accounts and providing solutions to save them time and money
• Recommended products and services that customers would provide long term benefit
• Maintained an organized agenda to disburse my daily activities so I may be able to identify and prioritize my customer meetings in person, by phone, or through email
• Focused on working as a team to achieve weekly targets and promote current bank initiatives
• Processed new product setups and prepared the documentation for customers to review
• Listened to the customer and discovered what goals they are looking to achieve and where they’d like to be within the next 3-5 years
• Reviewed action plans to reach weekly targets and identified where to make adjustments
stressful yet fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 18, 2015
Very productive as a senior I was always busy. At times too much red tape however in Banking that's usually expected. My favorite part of my job was the research I was asked to conduct when there were issues in customer accounts.
Pros
Mostly nice people to work with.
Cons
Salary and risks of hold ups
Not much of advensement
Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Bathurst and DundasSeptember 10, 2015
I would have to say that it is a great team of people to work with, however if you are looking for long term growth and salary increase, definitely not a place to be. They are extremely stingy, even though the bank makes big bucks.
Great work environment with plenty of room for advancement!
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 1, 2015
Scotiabank is a great work environment for anyone looking to advance in a financial institution or help customer with financial planning.

I have been very happy with the compensation for the earlier positions in the bank, but there have been recent changes in the Financial Advisor postions that should result in a higher salary.

Plenty of advancement opportunities with a long list of learning plans and courses. Staff is very friendly though management style changes based on location.

Working with Scotiabank for 4 years and would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
great work environment, customer focused, much room for advancement
Cons
strong sales environment, excessive hands on management, confusing goal focusing
Customer Service Representative - Scotiabank
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 26, 2016
My responsibilities are interacting with customers daily to help meet their day to day banking needs and resolving resolutions helping them bank efficiently.

I have a passion for giving financial advice and solutions to customers and sales driven promoting Scotiabank products and services. I have learned ways on developing sales and I am currently one of the top sales representative from my team.

My coworkers, management and myself are always putting customers needs first and making sure that our customers leave satisfied with their banking services.

The hardest part of the job I faced was the learning curve during my training process. Attention to detail is very important and mistakes can lead to problematic situations such as loss of money or anti money laundering. It is important that training is taken seriously and learning as much as you can before you are on your own.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting happy customers and knowing that you were able to be an excellent service to them meeting their day to day needs and by providing financial solutions.
Overall, Pretty good place to work
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto OntarioAugust 3, 2015
My experience here has been pretty good. A lot of politics and compensation is less than other banks. The job security used to be pretty good, but due to restructuring, this is not the case anymore.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Lower salary
Fast paced, continuous problem solving
accounts Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2016
Typical Day working in the New Accounts Department at Scotiabank always feels rewarding.

I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience by managing the phones on a day to day basis, and have grown relationships with the branches helping them meet the processing requirements is a respectable timely fashion. I really enjoy being able to processing updates between calls on clients accounts and learning better way to multitask.

My co-workers have all been very supportive and open to helping out in any times of need. We bring ideas and solutions to the team and we try to provide better processing techniques to the table to help meet the clients needs. The hardest part of my job is also my most enjoyable part of my job, advising difficult situations and having to problem solve and find the answers. Its my least because some people can be more difficult than others but the end result is always rewarding.

I have learned a great deal of the banking industry and the every day needs we have to provide to our clients.
Pros
great experience
Cons
sitting for long periods
Unsatisfactory
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurraySeptember 6, 2015
Overloaded with more work then acceptable to handle.

Made to think overtime without pay is the responsibly in order to advance in the workplace.

Bullied by direct supervisor.

Salary/benefits not acceptable for Fort McMurray
fast paced environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  100 Yonge streetJanuary 26, 2016
My typical day at work was to run the day to day Operations of the Insurance Centers, Assist the Agents with managing their calendars to optimize their time management for customers. Leasing with building management and contractors for various projects that needed to be completed. Ran daily reports for head office management and kept Centre costs down by keep efficient record of invoices and expenses .
Pros
Good core values
Cons
not having a manager for 7 months
Banks don't pay good.
Personal Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Unfortunately the pay isn't that great despite the record profits they make. Recognition is great for the things you do they just don't like to compensate for it. Co workers and people were great. Typical day included talking to clients about banking products working with the systems to sell clients on products, mortgages and investments. Really heavy on the lending side.
Pros
Coworkers, Management
Cons
no pay for the amount of effort you make
Collaborative, fun and productive work environment
Assistant Manager, Staffing & Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2015
Advancement opportunities, supportive management, amazing coworkers. I absolutely love working at Scotiabank, I have been impressed every day by the challenging work assignments, supportive team culture, learning and career advancement opportunities and the after work social events. I am lucky to have the opportunity to be part of a such a progressive organization where diversity is celebrated and everyone feels welcome, appreciated and included.
Pros
work perks, benefits, management, work life balance
Cons
none.
Stressfull environment
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2015
Stressful environment, low salary and extreme workload which leads to constant unpaid overtime. Unsupportive management, which does not care about its employees.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Extreme workload, stress
Nice environment to work at.
Programmer Analyst (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2016
The environment at Scotiabank was friendly. Co-workers, seniors and management was cooperative. There was a lot to learn from their experiences. If I was stuck in coding, the seniors came to help me out. Overall it was a nice experience to work at the Scotiabank.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2015
Available tools for continued learning. Great co-workers, team effort and engagement. There was a mixed bag of expectations on a daily basis which would balance out the week in terms of levels of stress. However, the work typically gets completed successfully and on time so you can feel good about it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Too much politics at times
Best place to gain experience, Average salary, Awesome Job Culture
Customer Service/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Maintained various records as per requirements and handling books and files
Managed customer data base by completing data entry and maintaining balances at month end
Preparation of various documents relating to appointments, rescheduling, and correspondence outlining customer concerns