Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun work place with supportive management.
Manager personal Banking (Current Employee) –  Hazeldean, Kanata, OntarioSeptember 28, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Working in a team
Cons
Still using windows XP
Stable jobs, but inefficient work process
Manager - Customer Knowledge and Insight (Current Employee) –  TotontoFebruary 9, 2016
As a successful corporation Scotiabank provides a stable environment with good pay, benefit and learning opportunities. However, work flows are inefficient. It takes a long time to initiate projects as everything involves multi-layer management and often projects are done redundantly in multiple teams.
Great culture
Balancing Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 24, 2016
Amazing staff, great help from management
Learned a lot about banking industry

Skills acquire: Time management, information security and privacy, customer service, interpersonal skills.
I enjoyed working for the bank and learned a lot.
Customer Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2015
great people to work with.I worked for Scotiabank for 40 years and had a great time.The Bank is very flexible and caring about their employees.
Pros
job security
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Fast paced, continuous problem solving
accounts Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2016
Typical Day working in the New Accounts Department at Scotiabank always feels rewarding.

I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience by managing the phones on a day to day basis, and have grown relationships with the branches helping them meet the processing requirements is a respectable timely fashion. I really enjoy being able to processing updates between calls on clients accounts and learning better way to multitask.

My co-workers have all been very supportive and open to helping out in any times of need. We bring ideas and solutions to the team and we try to provide better processing techniques to the table to help meet the clients needs. The hardest part of my job is also my most enjoyable part of my job, advising difficult situations and having to problem solve and find the answers. Its my least because some people can be more difficult than others but the end result is always rewarding.

I have learned a great deal of the banking industry and the every day needs we have to provide to our clients.
Pros
great experience
Cons
sitting for long periods
Positive changes to customer oriented
Senior Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Interaction between Canadian and Latin American culture is a win-win game.
Company in permanent change. Nobody know what is going to happen at the end
Good workplace to work in
Customer Representative (Part Time/Casual) (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Scotiabank is enjoyable as long as you mend well with the customers and colleagues. The colleague get-together events that are held every here and there are useful and fun.
Pros
Social gatherings
Cons
Not many benefits for casual/part timers
fun workplace with great colleagues
Bilingual Bank Specialist representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day at work is to arrive on time for your work schedule. Review emails and respond time sensitively and by prioritize accordingly. Create/action/review/close cases build daily. Answer incoming calls from customer, listen and resolve with professionalism. look for new innovative ways to help the business and present to management as procedure requires. Follow rules and procedures according to business requirement. Time management and prioritize work and separate socializing time and work time and using it effectively are a few of the things I've learned through years and having a sense to better myself. I am very personable hence hardly have conflict with co-workers and teamwork is one of my biggest strength. Hardest part of the job is leaving things unfinished for the next day, I like to have things done or resolve within moments, so I can also say that patience has been build up for me as well in a sense. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the day is over, through no personal gain, realized that I have help so many today and being acknowledged by the business for it.
Pros
Great atmosphere, constant changes, helping customers and business is acknowledged
Cons
short lunches, difficult to see the end result of processing benefits
Customer Service Representative - Scotiabank
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 26, 2016
My responsibilities are interacting with customers daily to help meet their day to day banking needs and resolving resolutions helping them bank efficiently.

I have a passion for giving financial advice and solutions to customers and sales driven promoting Scotiabank products and services. I have learned ways on developing sales and I am currently one of the top sales representative from my team.

My coworkers, management and myself are always putting customers needs first and making sure that our customers leave satisfied with their banking services.

The hardest part of the job I faced was the learning curve during my training process. Attention to detail is very important and mistakes can lead to problematic situations such as loss of money or anti money laundering. It is important that training is taken seriously and learning as much as you can before you are on your own.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting happy customers and knowing that you were able to be an excellent service to them meeting their day to day needs and by providing financial solutions.
Great work environment and team
Project Control Officer - CPCP PMO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Very structured and organized, A high paced environment as the CPCP program was a multi-million dollar project for this financial institution. Management had clear direction as to what needed to be done and how to get it done. Co-workers were by far the best team I have ever worked with.
Team friendly environment
Head Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2015
Working for the Bank of Nova Scotia is an excellent experience, as the company puts a huge focus on team work and this is easily displayed at the branch level. Management does a great job in assisting customer service representatives with any internal issues or concerns. Supervisors look to provide on the job assistance and make everyday a bit easier. Most enjoyable part of the job is to provide customers with an excellent experience and seeing their financial lifestyle grow for the better.
Benefits
Cons
Collaborative, fun and productive work environment
Assistant Manager, Staffing & Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2015
Advancement opportunities, supportive management, amazing coworkers. I absolutely love working at Scotiabank, I have been impressed every day by the challenging work assignments, supportive team culture, learning and career advancement opportunities and the after work social events. I am lucky to have the opportunity to be part of a such a progressive organization where diversity is celebrated and everyone feels welcome, appreciated and included.
Pros
work perks, benefits, management, work life balance
Cons
none.
Overall, Pretty good place to work
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto OntarioAugust 3, 2015
My experience here has been pretty good. A lot of politics and compensation is less than other banks. The job security used to be pretty good, but due to restructuring, this is not the case anymore.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Lower salary
Positive Work Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 22, 2015
If company paid better they may attract higher valued employees. Positive place to work, good benefits and work/home life management
Fun place to be
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 22, 2016
New generation of managers are coming on board. Great place to rise in career. If you are focused and dedicated, you will enjoy working with the bank. A lot of reward policy is in place as well
Great work environment with plenty of room for advancement!
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 1, 2015
Scotiabank is a great work environment for anyone looking to advance in a financial institution or help customer with financial planning.

I have been very happy with the compensation for the earlier positions in the bank, but there have been recent changes in the Financial Advisor postions that should result in a higher salary.

Plenty of advancement opportunities with a long list of learning plans and courses. Staff is very friendly though management style changes based on location.

Working with Scotiabank for 4 years and would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
great work environment, customer focused, much room for advancement
Cons
strong sales environment, excessive hands on management, confusing goal focusing
Workplace
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Employees are treated with respect. Management always strives to deliver a clear message to the employees and keep everyone in the loop with the changing Canadian Banking landscape.
Scotiabank has been a good place to work with great people and lots of opportunities to learn.
Senior Manager, Wealth Management Compliance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 8, 2016
I have worked at Scotiabank for over two decades and have had a variety of roles. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
Pros
Diverse operations and business lines
Cons
Large institution, so approvals move slowly.
Executive Assistant at scotiabank
Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
Part of the reason I love this job so much…there’s no such thing as a typical day! One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with’ staff members on a IT appropriation request and then ‘catering’ an informal reception for college staff hosted by the VP. Everyday is different.”