Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
With the right leadership team a very positive place to work
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work involves various administrative task associated with servicing business clients, followed by meetings with clients at the branch or at their place of work. Meeting my assigned clients represents the best time of my day and doing administrative services represents the least favorite time of the day.
Pros
Free banking
Cons
Weak client experience technological innovation
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Very much satisfied with my employer.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
I love working for my employer, have so much to be proud of the team. My typical day at work is filled with meeting many people, some are well known some are new people to service. Both are very much interesting and every interaction is precious to me. I have learned how help our customers to become financially better off. My management is very professional and also caring, providing us with all the tools for growth as well. Co-workers are great team members and also my friends. Hardest part is to continuously achieve and maintain our goals. And the most enjoyable part of the job are our customers and our daily interactions.
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Best place to gain experience, Average salary, Awesome Job Culture
Customer Service/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Maintained various records as per requirements and handling books and files
Managed customer data base by completing data entry and maintaining balances at month end
Preparation of various documents relating to appointments, rescheduling, and correspondence outlining customer concerns
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Russell, ONJuly 21, 2016
Ive really enjoyed my time at Scotiabank. Our client base is really good. Small town, so I have had the opportunity to build personal relationships and the clients have gained my trust. The atmosphere inside the branch amongst my co-workers is awesome. Everyone is there for each other.
Pros
Providing excellent customer service
Cons
Not enough money
Executive Assistant at scotiabank
Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
Part of the reason I love this job so much…there’s no such thing as a typical day! One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with’ staff members on a IT appropriation request and then ‘catering’ an informal reception for college staff hosted by the VP. Everyday is different.”
Innovative and learning opportunity
Decision Support Services Analyst, Finance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Scotiabank has given me an immense opportunity to grow my career path and learning growth. The values-Passion, Accountability, Customer Focus and Integrity- have been integrated with my day to day activities which have contributed to achieve my career objectives.
Pros
Forward thinking, learning growth
Layoffs
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
They are cutting hours as well as positions therefore you are required to do more than normal job duties. You are in charge of making multiple referrals, knowledgeable about products, learning different systems and transactions. Hard work is not appreciated and just meeting expectations is not enough.
Pros
paid 15 minute break
Cons
no hours
Fast-forward style banking.
Business Analyst, Senior (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
There is a phased approach to releases for the projects I have worked on. As the SME I am involved in all facets of the project and therefore I am always under the gun. I have to work many evenings and weekends, it is an unsustainable pace for the whole team.

It was fun and productive for the first few years, but I am now looking for a change.
Cons
Very Tight deadlines
A great professional culture
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
A typical day at the bank includes dealing with a lot of people with different personalities and backgrounds, and providing clients with financial services. I've been lucky to work with a great team where i've learnt a lot from my manager. My team members are great, Scotia has a great culture to work in.
Have been a long time employee
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ONApril 14, 2016
Always a rewarding, enjoyable place to work. Fellow staff members easy going and positive to work with.
Have learned a lot about dealing with people on a daily basis.
Have learned how to deal with change in an ever changing environment in a fast paced work place
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Dealing with public can be exhausting
Great experience and challenging work place
Manager of Customer Service/HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 25, 2016
Continuous changes to stay competitive in the industry, there are always working on how to best help the customers. The work is challenging but there is always help. It's never a dull moment between customers and staff there is always work to be done.
Got lucky with great manager
Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
I am lucky to work with great manager who allow me to learn and work with nice laptops and newest technology.

Worked with few small projects and had the freedom to use our choice of technology stack.
Pros
Lots of great people, fun to work with and respect each other
Cons
Some people are stuck in 10 years old technology, some marketing software that try to take over the entire company
Great Canadian Bank
Program/Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2016
They have a vision of where they want to go and they are sticking to it. The company takes care of mobilizing their workforce between offices with regular shuttle service. They'll also get you to the GO Train station. Also award winning as a Best Place to Work in Canada. Highly recommended.
Respect and Fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 16, 2016
 Resolved service concerns by clarifying customer complaints and followed up to ensured resolution.
 Explained organization’s mission and customer service standards to new employees.
 Contributed to team effort and accomplished targeted sales goals.
Friendly Atmosphere
Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONJune 5, 2016
I liked working for Scotiabank, I had some amazing managers and co workers and they never let the work load get to crazy that lead to any stress. My one issue is for almost every position they pay less than market rates.
Pros
Friendly Atmosphere
Cons
Below Average Salaries