SCOTIABANK

SCOTIABANK Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Everyday is a productive work day
Back End Adjuster (Current Employee), Hato Rey, PRJuly 9, 2014
I like working for the company but im looking for a change in my salary , because im at the top of my position, salary wise.
POSITIVE
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 7, 2014
Pros: culture
Cons: salary
a positive employment experience, good culture, great team work, reputable organization
Excel at Client Service
Senior Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 1, 2014
Pros: great team atmosphere
Cons: selling mortgages, loans, visas.
Our Scotiabank branch is fabulous team atmosphere. Everyone is easy to work with and all pitching in where necessary.

Scotiabank went to a new system just after I started and I no longer can just work with clients investments and create overall financial plans to further enhance a clients goals.

I must sell mortgages, loans, visas, etc., in which – more... I have a hard time to increase an average persons debt obligations. – less
Usual Branch Banking Atmosphere
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
Developed sales and account/relationship management skills through this client-facing role. Management and co-workes are supportive.
Good place to work, overall.
Head Teller / Front Reception (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2014
Pros: benefits, good pay, advancement opportunities
Cons: higher wage would be nice for higher responsibility positions such as the one i had.
Scotiabank was a nice place to work. The environment was good, the advancement opportunities were available also. I just found in my personal experience that with my particular branch manager, she was young and new to the job and needed to be more professional at times. Overall, I would love to work for them again.
Encouraging and motivating place to work for
QA Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: nothing as such
A typical day at Scotiabank was very exciting with new things to learn like the version control tool PVCS.

Good team with very skilled people, always motivating and encouraging.
Great workplace and experience
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2014
My typical day started with doing gap analysis for customers coming in, making phone calls, doing follow up paperwork, transactions or calls. Reviewing credit and investment files to give to compliance officer. During the day, meeting with customers, completing financial reviews and plans, identifying their financial needs and goals to provide best – more... customer solutions, referring to expert partners in or outside the branch, looking for referral opportunities and/or off us products to transfer in from other financial institutions. Marketing/cold calls to generate business. Creating campaigns, training and coaching other colleagues. Dealing with other departments to ensure processes and transactions were done correctly for customers. My satisfaction was to provide excellent customer service and advice, their compliments was my best reward. I extremely enjoy dealing with customers, relating to them, spending time with my colleagues and being able to help them on a daily basis. I've learned my passion for success, for doing things right at the first time, my dislike to making mistakes or disappointing customers, managers and colleagues; I grew my banking knowledge on different levels, became stronger person when dealing with difficult situations. I had the opportunity to act as acting manager when ours was away. I like being challenge on a daily basis, I motivate myself to be the best. – less
...
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), FrederictonJune 12, 2014
Pros: great client base
Cons: not enough hours for all employees on teller line
I have learned many office skills and the importance of proper cash handling, procedures and taking time to provide excellent customer service. Working as part of a team makes me feel good, but the management, I feel would be better of with positive comments and not dwelling on what has been done wrong. the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new – more... people and all the different transactions I do on a day to day basis. – less
Excellent place to work
Project Manager/Sr PCO (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: good
Cons: good
Excellent place to work Excellent place to work Excellent place to work
Productive and Friendly workplace
Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto OntarioJune 3, 2014
Pros: the salary and the excellent summer and winter team offside
Cons: unfortunately they cut the team offside activities and budget
A lot of work to do , but with a great team to work with.

The hours of work were some time longer than expected.

You learn many things in a very nice way and place

Most of the co-workers are very friendly
The key person of your company
Banking Adviser (Former Employee), San SalvadorMay 29, 2014
• Provided Customer service to four specific companies to secure contract.
• Analyze the credit history of each customer.
• Financial reporting to measure the capacity to pay.
• Make new strategic companies alliance for increase the target market.
• Resolve inquires of customer while the service was available.
• Maintain an excellent relationship with – more... the strategic companies.
• Bank debt consolidations
• Processing of appraisals for mortgages. – less
Productive WorkPlace
Manager Documentation - Regulatory Compliance (Current Employee), Toronto OntarioMay 26, 2014
I have been working with Scotiabank for almost 10 years. My most recent position is Manager Documentation where I am managing documentation projects, to be sure that all the onboarding documents we use in the English and Spanish Caribbean countries are following the Customer Acceptance, KYC/AML, and risk management. I deal with different kind business – more... activities, products and services offered by different business units.

To manage our projects with efficiency is important to have great attention to details to assure accuracy of the information that is being created and published; another important skill is organization to manage the assigned projects. I created a SharePoint portal that help us to manage priorities, to facilitate team work and to keep track of the different projects and how there are being managed by different member of our team. (Efficiency) (Team Focus)

I always maintain awareness of the changing compliance environment and provide suggestions to improve documents to enhance them to manage better AML/ CFT Risk. (Forward Thinking)

While dealing with the different projects and countries I use my flexibility and adaptability to find alternatives and adapt to views of different people and different regulations according with the country. At the same time I am always trying to build and maintain a positive rapport, because I have to identify interest of needs of the other departments, and to create strong relationships.

I create manuals and guidelines to communicate clearly and concisely the functionality of the different documents and forms that we manage. – less
Life sucking
Senior Manager (Former Employee), TorontoMay 26, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: top down management, bureaucratic as heck and input worthless
Top down management like being in the army and huge bureaucracy makes this company unbearable for someone who wants to just go to work and make a diffference.
Productive and energetic
Personal Banking Officer Trainee (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: high discipline
Cons: lack of training
Productive and energetic-highly disciplined- in Scotiabank I learnt as to typical mortgage customers and applications, learnt a lot about different kinds of financial services and products as well as investment funds. I worked on different credit applications such as credit applications.
Not a fun work place
CSR (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 16, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: yes
Stressful fast paced...lots to learn in short period...Upper management are not fair.....no room for moving up....especially if you are colored....I know of a couple MCS and Bank Manager who are very racist and disapprove any application for advancement within the company.

Co-workers are mean and disrespectful because the suck up to the supervisors.....news – more... carriers.....they are fair to some staff and unfair to others.....I was on a four hour shift and was told by the supervisor that I an not allowed a break.....which is 15 minutes.....These are the kind of people work and supervise staff @ Scotiabank. – less
Contract position - very competitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioMay 15, 2014
Contract position - Very competitive
Learned Bank Drafts, money orders, foreign exchange
The other employee's very nice
Multicultural and tolerant
Billing Analyst in Global Transaction Banking (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: flexible work timings
Cons: travel was long
Wow its Monday company. I liked it as my first job in the country
Not the best place
Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2014
Pros: some free banking/learning about money and the shares plan
Cons: workload is stressful, vacation time is based on the centre, not the department, system is slow/keeps crashing, unable to email statements to customers who request them
Scotiabank's best feature are the people that work there, which to me is a little disheartening. Their business practices are a little off in my eyes, such as their training. For example, I am a new employee and was thrown on to live calls with real customers, dealing with their live accounts, while in training. I was not comfortable with that at all. – more... Coming in from being unemployed and knowing how sensitive an issue money is to alot of people, that was very surprising.

I now help support the loans and mortgages department, which I took because I needed the full time hours/salary. If I had known the training would have just been one week, three days of which, were spent reading manuals and having MAYBE one hour of computer "play time" to learn processes and procedures, I might have stayed in the entry level role a little longer to get used to the system, which is VERY outdated.

The workload is not very "employee friendly". Not that I'm at work to breeze by, but there is something to be said about making the employees happy by not treating them like dogs and just expecting them to take hours upon hours of calls, back to back to back, without room to leave a note on a customers account. Our time is counted against us by the minute, even if we take a 10 second breath between calls, which goes against our statistics, which goes against our merit increase. That's just one of the measures that we have to compete with.

I feel that if Scotiabank was to really look at how they do things, they would see that they would need to;

1. Bring in an updated system that is more user friendly and easier to navigate, would make calls go faster, which would in turn lessen the amount of call wait times for our customers.

2. Train new hires THOROUGHLY with "dummy" accounts and not throw them on the phones while they are in training just to help alleviate some of the call volume, which would help them make less mistakes and increase confidence in the customers when they speak to an agent.

3. Change their branch hours to help accommodate our changing customer base. There are too many branches that don't have hours that are conducive to the way our customers lives are, terrible hours and an inconsistency in the practices that they offer. – less
Great place to work but not enough room to advance and I need a change
My current role is document specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 8, 2014
Pros: free gym, great co-workers, good salary
Cons: management, little room for advancement
I have obtained a wealth of knowledge as it pertains to banking and communication. I have become a great leader and coach and have been a mentor with great success. My co-workers have been amazing and management is decent but unfortunately, a large percentage of the management team is afraid of change and it holds the bank and its people back. I love – more... learning and all kinds of challenges and dealing with people. – less
Toxic Environment
Loans Administration Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 3, 2014
Pros: work location
Cons: 10 minutes for lunch
Verbally Abused, Dirty Management (Lying, Backstabbing Employees), Upper Management were Alcoholics/Coke Heads

1 2 3 4 5

About SCOTIABANK

Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming – Read more