Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Toxic Culture, Zero Value for Employees
Director (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 September 2016
Completely unfamiliar with work-life balance concept... Treating people as they are dispensable.
By far the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
Big Company, Ok salary
Cons
Culture, Management
Strong franchise with great opportunity to add value in your role
Director - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
The best part of the job is that I feel that I am a trusted adviser to senior management, providing valuable insights and analytics around the business utilizing your financial analysis and reporting skill.

Playing a key role as part of the decision support is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

It is definitely a place for someone who thrives on challenge.
Pros
Challenging and Engaging work
Cons
Long Hours
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ON30 June 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Good Workplace, Limited opportunities for advancement
Operations Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
Scotia iTRADE has solid management and good work/life balance. Unfortunately its salaries are very stagnant and there are limited opportunities for advancement internally.
Commitment, Respect, Intigrity
Support and Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Enjoyed working with this wonderful company, best experience with colleagues and Management for 18 yrs. Empathy & professionalism and good benefits. Due to family matters, moved from Toronto. Recommend Scotiabank to anyone.
Pros
Treated with respect. Flexibility
Cons
Long commute, less time spent with family
Productive and profesional
Business Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
This is a company which is a great source for networking and career growth. Very professional, it exposes you to many cultures, Great opportunities for development. Always changing and innovative.Very stressful
Pros
Great teams
Cons
Lots of OT
Professional and respectful, with a touch of bubbly.
Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
A typical day at the Scotiabank Saddledome is one that is filled with a lot of energy and passion. Its such a wonderful place to work and definitely has its benefits. It is so much customer interaction and hearing others stories. It is honestly a never dull moment! Our upper management is always so pleasant to work with, always helpful when you're stuck with a difficult situation. The Hardest part here is honestly just when it gets busy, not so much hard tho. More like chaotic. Some of the most enjoyable parts of working here is that, you get to see concerts that you normally don't, discounts on hitmen and roughnecks tickets, some of the staff events and you basically make your own shift!
Pros
Staff BBQs, discounts, ticket draws, Smiles program
Cons
part time
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Fun workplace!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Managers are very friendly and approachable and when there's rude guests or some issues and concerns they're just one call away. Also you can change your availability anytime they wouldn't mind, very flexible. Perfect part time job for students.
Pros
flexible hours, free movies and discounts
Cons
not competitive salary
Productive and friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 October 2016
At Scotia bank I was a bank teller thus I learned how to perform day to day transactions, such as bill payments, updating customer information etc. Working with a great sum of money was out of the norm, as I was 16 years old at the time, and eventually became accustomed to it. I had the best group of co-workers and even better management. They were very helpful and gave me constructive criticism when needed. The hardest part of the job was working with the software on the computers and knowing when to click on what tab. There were many actions that can be performed, daily, and it did get confusing remembering the procedures for a couple transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a client-employee relationship and working in a field that is related to my education.
Pros
Related to my field, great staff
Bad management and employee engagement
IT Data Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2016
- Manager doesn't have background on data management.
- Manager doesn't have leader ship skills.
overall really bad management.
Manager doesn't have clear mandate nor know what is required for his department.
Pros
good industry knowledge
Cons
long hours, No leadership and coaching.
Good Intern Experience
Business Process SME (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2016
Small Projects:
o Ticketing inventory system project: to consolidate past records for comparison and reconciliation using Microsoft Excel.
o Lost and found inventory management project: to reconcile the actual found to actual returns; created monthly employee-wise reports, comparison chart for lost and found against report of actual returns.
o Station Terminal Operations Communication project: at Pearson Airport during their Christmas peak hours, learning the procedures and functioning of the system they used as well as managing last minute critical situations.
o Hands on experience with Customer Service Manager on ramp
Pros
Comfortable Work environment
Cons
Internship only
Oparations, analyses
Fund Accountant / Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
Great work culture, meet lots of new people, socializing. Well structured organization with lots of opportunities for promotion. Although, the salary range in not high enough on the low/medium levels, hard to get the well paid position even with CPA.
Excellent Place of Work
Marketing Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2016
Excellent place of work with fantastic management and co-workers. Great opportunity for growth within the company, with a great ability for strong work life balance.
An excellent company!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL/Baie Verte, NL10 September 2016
I had a wonderful time with Scotiabank. I was treated with respect and was given plenty of opportunities to earn respect from my customers and peers. I provided daily services to customers regarding the sales of credit products, assisting with finances and offering budget solutions. My managers treated me like a welcome part of the team and my co-workers offered help and support through every step of my adventure with Scotiabank. The hardest part of the job was the demand for relocation. I was hoping for a position that would help me get settled but it turned out that I was expected to move to many communities before I could be offered that stability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction I could provide to my customers by assisting them with my own set of cultivated skills.
Pros
Full Time, Salary, Benefits, Excellent Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of job/location stability
Not what it used to be
MANAGER, CONTACT CENTRE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
Unfortunately, since Scotiabank obtained the new President, the culture, the environment, the employee focus, changed and is no longer important, job security does not exist and employee advancement not longer exist.