Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 26, 2016
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Pros
job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons
pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
Scotiabank
Small business (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Scotiabank had a strong sense of culture and typically a day at work started with reviewing previous days work and clients accounts to ensure their accounts where in order and not in overdraft.

After which time I would make calls to existing and non-existing clients to book sales appointments for the coming days follow up client meetings throughout the days. There was also about 2 hours of paperwork per day.

The people that worked for Scotia where mostly very friendly and reasonable with the work life balance.

Hardest part of the job is simply, like most banks, sales versus credit procedure.
Excellent Company
Senior Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2016
My experience is great, I am a huge fan of the company. The management is welcoming and supportive of growing careers. The salary is great and my growth at Scotia has been strong.
An excellent company!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL/Baie Verte, NLSeptember 10, 2016
I had a wonderful time with Scotiabank. I was treated with respect and was given plenty of opportunities to earn respect from my customers and peers. I provided daily services to customers regarding the sales of credit products, assisting with finances and offering budget solutions. My managers treated me like a welcome part of the team and my co-workers offered help and support through every step of my adventure with Scotiabank. The hardest part of the job was the demand for relocation. I was hoping for a position that would help me get settled but it turned out that I was expected to move to many communities before I could be offered that stability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction I could provide to my customers by assisting them with my own set of cultivated skills.
Pros
Full Time, Salary, Benefits, Excellent Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of job/location stability
Can't think of a worse job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2015
Horrible leadership. Unrealistic expectations and targets. Long hours. Salary is so abysmal that the cleaners (who were contracted from another company) got paid more per hour than I did. After a record-breaking year in profits, management responded by drastically cutting our benefits. Everybody is stressed out all the time, it's not uncommon at all see your fellow coworkers break down into tears or take stress leaves. If anybody is thinking of working for this company, avoid it all costs. Being homeless would probably still be a better lifestyle than being a Scotiabank employee.
Pros
Life will no longer seem like it goes by too fast
Cons
Management, long hours, salary, expectations, not appreciated, everything you can think of that would make a job suck
Great place to learn and grow
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 29, 2015
Scotiabank helped me polish my skills as I kept moving up the ladder . It has a great multi cultural environment . I got to work as team leader and team player at the same time and was trusted with great deal of responsibilities which further instilled confidence in me.
Management I got to work with took great interest in my career development and coached me in the right direction .
Dealing with customers helped learn a lot more about growing demands of financial needs of each individual client .
It is a great place to work .
Fun and energetic workplace
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 27, 2016
Great place to work with excellent benefits and training. Wonderful people to work with and a lot of opportunity for advancement . Limited opportunity in the Atlantic region in some fields however which are most concentrated elsewhere.
Pros
great benefits, flexibiltiy in shift changes
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Solid place to work with good job security
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Solid place to work with good job security.
Attentive and helpful co-workers.
Good management.
Benefits and Salary could be better.
Great working environment with dedicated and interesting people. Management supportive with individual career development.
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2016
1) Be up to date with market news, follow financial news on the internet/television.
3) Go through the client emails and voicemails and respond back.
3) Review agenda for the day and prepare for client meetings.
4) Manage the day and plan your agenda for the next day.
5) Meet with the manager to discuss what deals have been worked on and create a pipeline for the coming weeks/months
6) Follow up with clients
7) The job teaches you to work in a team, manage your day, utilize your time efficiently and prioritize your work.
Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.
A very fast paced and at times high stress place to work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day at work is anything but typical. Every file is different - every customer situation is different.

I started as a teller in 1989 and have since enjoyed working as a supervisor in that department. I changed focus in 2000 to work in administration providing support to as many as 11+ sales officers at a time. I have also had the opportunity to gain experience working as a supervisor in this department as well.

Without a doubt, had the bank not decided to move administration out of the branches and closing my department I would still be working for Scotiabank.
Pros
Great benefits and plenty of upward mobility
Cons
High stress dealing with disgruntled customers.
Excellent Work/Life Balance and team work.
Business Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves scheduled meetings and walkthrough sessions with stakeholders. I have learnt that the key is communication both written and verbal to ensure that we keep to the project timelines and deliverables or otherwise make adjustment via project change request.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with attrition, where mid stream into a project, a project lead or member leaves the project.
I have found overcoming project challenges and deploying a working solution an enjoyable part of the job.
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Very much satisfied with my employer.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
I love working for my employer, have so much to be proud of the team. My typical day at work is filled with meeting many people, some are well known some are new people to service. Both are very much interesting and every interaction is precious to me. I have learned how help our customers to become financially better off. My management is very professional and also caring, providing us with all the tools for growth as well. Co-workers are great team members and also my friends. Hardest part is to continuously achieve and maintain our goals. And the most enjoyable part of the job are our customers and our daily interactions.
Good place for those who want structure
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros- opportunity for advancement, Performance oriented, you won't get fired, templates for everything
Cons- low autonomy (high micro-management), culture inhibits any sort of creativity, High demands for relatively low pay in industry.
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Nice environment to work at.
Programmer Analyst (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2016
The environment at Scotiabank was friendly. Co-workers, seniors and management was cooperative. There was a lot to learn from their experiences. If I was stuck in coding, the seniors came to help me out. Overall it was a nice experience to work at the Scotiabank.
Fun place to work at
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
Professional work environment. Typical white collar 9 to 5.
Good pay plus benefits. Job security and growth promised
Preps you up for higher positions within the same institution
Pros
Get paid sometimes for not even coming in
Cons
limited hours plus no commission cut