Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 26, 2016
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Pros
job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons
pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
A very fast paced and at times high stress place to work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day at work is anything but typical. Every file is different - every customer situation is different.

I started as a teller in 1989 and have since enjoyed working as a supervisor in that department. I changed focus in 2000 to work in administration providing support to as many as 11+ sales officers at a time. I have also had the opportunity to gain experience working as a supervisor in this department as well.

Without a doubt, had the bank not decided to move administration out of the branches and closing my department I would still be working for Scotiabank.
Pros
Great benefits and plenty of upward mobility
Cons
High stress dealing with disgruntled customers.
Excellent Company
Senior Project Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2016
My experience is great, I am a huge fan of the company. The management is welcoming and supportive of growing careers. The salary is great and my growth at Scotia has been strong.
Fun and energetic workplace
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 27, 2016
Great place to work with excellent benefits and training. Wonderful people to work with and a lot of opportunity for advancement . Limited opportunity in the Atlantic region in some fields however which are most concentrated elsewhere.
Pros
great benefits, flexibiltiy in shift changes
Good workplace to work in
Customer Representative (Part Time/Casual) (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Scotiabank is enjoyable as long as you mend well with the customers and colleagues. The colleague get-together events that are held every here and there are useful and fun.
Pros
Social gatherings
Cons
Not many benefits for casual/part timers
Can't think of a worse job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2015
Horrible leadership. Unrealistic expectations and targets. Long hours. Salary is so abysmal that the cleaners (who were contracted from another company) got paid more per hour than I did. After a record-breaking year in profits, management responded by drastically cutting our benefits. Everybody is stressed out all the time, it's not uncommon at all see your fellow coworkers break down into tears or take stress leaves. If anybody is thinking of working for this company, avoid it all costs. Being homeless would probably still be a better lifestyle than being a Scotiabank employee.
Pros
Life will no longer seem like it goes by too fast
Cons
Management, long hours, salary, expectations, not appreciated, everything you can think of that would make a job suck
Fun place to work at
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
Professional work environment. Typical white collar 9 to 5.
Good pay plus benefits. Job security and growth promised
Preps you up for higher positions within the same institution
Pros
Get paid sometimes for not even coming in
Cons
limited hours plus no commission cut
Solid place to work with good job security
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Solid place to work with good job security.
Attentive and helpful co-workers.
Good management.
Benefits and Salary could be better.
Productive and learning work place
Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Enjoyable work environment. Salary is under par. Management for my department is very good. Understanding and helpful employees
Bank Life
Prime Services Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2015
If you are looking for a relatively stable position with decent pay and good benefits, then head to the bank. Scotiabank is still trying to figure out a work/life balance but depending on the department you are in, you may leave on time at 5pm. Be prepared for many levels (4+) of management and for people who may have less experience to advance before you. Scotiabank is all about networking so be positive, outgoing and you'll do great.
Scotiabank
Small business (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Scotiabank had a strong sense of culture and typically a day at work started with reviewing previous days work and clients accounts to ensure their accounts where in order and not in overdraft.

After which time I would make calls to existing and non-existing clients to book sales appointments for the coming days follow up client meetings throughout the days. There was also about 2 hours of paperwork per day.

The people that worked for Scotia where mostly very friendly and reasonable with the work life balance.

Hardest part of the job is simply, like most banks, sales versus credit procedure.
a nice place to stay until retire
Former back office employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 16, 2015
Unless you have a willing to take responsibility supervisor.
Should promote someone with leadership and be fair to be a supervisor than just a person having "more experience".
Other than that I enjoyed to work there.
Pros
quite a few benefits
Cons
bank prefer to invest money on programs which can shorten head count
fun workplace with great colleagues
Bilingual Bank Specialist representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day at work is to arrive on time for your work schedule. Review emails and respond time sensitively and by prioritize accordingly. Create/action/review/close cases build daily. Answer incoming calls from customer, listen and resolve with professionalism. look for new innovative ways to help the business and present to management as procedure requires. Follow rules and procedures according to business requirement. Time management and prioritize work and separate socializing time and work time and using it effectively are a few of the things I've learned through years and having a sense to better myself. I am very personable hence hardly have conflict with co-workers and teamwork is one of my biggest strength. Hardest part of the job is leaving things unfinished for the next day, I like to have things done or resolve within moments, so I can also say that patience has been build up for me as well in a sense. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the day is over, through no personal gain, realized that I have help so many today and being acknowledged by the business for it.
Pros
Great atmosphere, constant changes, helping customers and business is acknowledged
Cons
short lunches, difficult to see the end result of processing benefits
good atmosphere
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
No communication between branches and policies
but overall a good company to work for
Lots of work and sometimes overworked
for the salary made
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Positive Work Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 22, 2015
If company paid better they may attract higher valued employees. Positive place to work, good benefits and work/home life management
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2015
Great team atmosphere, great hours, pay and benefits. Would recommend working there to anyone. Very understanding of personal needs and willing to assist with anything, everyone is very supportive of each other.
Very much satisfied with my employer.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
I love working for my employer, have so much to be proud of the team. My typical day at work is filled with meeting many people, some are well known some are new people to service. Both are very much interesting and every interaction is precious to me. I have learned how help our customers to become financially better off. My management is very professional and also caring, providing us with all the tools for growth as well. Co-workers are great team members and also my friends. Hardest part is to continuously achieve and maintain our goals. And the most enjoyable part of the job are our customers and our daily interactions.
Very professional workforce. Demanding projects that exposed me to the Business, Technology and Vendors
Project Manager/Project Coordinator - HR Projects (Former Employee) –  Downtown TorontoApril 10, 2016
Because of my diverse background, my contract involved a variety of different task and roles. From the PCO perspective I organized project meetings, minutes and issue logs.
From an analyst perspective I authored various scope and test strategy documents as well as the project plans which were used to manage projects.
Team was very professional and receptive to share their time and views on a variety of issues.Interfacing with the team was possible the most enjoyable aspect of the assignment.
HRSS had a variety of end users in the Business community and being a contractor, determining where/who to go to in order to get issues resolved, signed off was the most difficult part of the job
Pros
Extremely cooperative team
Cons
Requirements constantly changed; week manager
Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.