Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Good Intern Experience
Business Process SME (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2016
Small Projects:
o Ticketing inventory system project: to consolidate past records for comparison and reconciliation using Microsoft Excel.
o Lost and found inventory management project: to reconcile the actual found to actual returns; created monthly employee-wise reports, comparison chart for lost and found against report of actual returns.
o Station Terminal Operations Communication project: at Pearson Airport during their Christmas peak hours, learning the procedures and functioning of the system they used as well as managing last minute critical situations.
o Hands on experience with Customer Service Manager on ramp
Pros
Comfortable Work environment
Cons
Internship only
productive
Home Financing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 November 2016
Comprehensive knowledge of mortgage sales, underwriting process, application and insurance products.
· Offered a " full package ” approach by analyzing clients financial whole picture, often a fundamental credit counsel to support mortgagors with fixing credit related problems for clients.
· Developed an extensive database of contacts dealing with realtors, commercial/ residential developers, investors and other industry related orientated professionals in order to attract
Strong franchise with great opportunity to add value in your role
Director - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
The best part of the job is that I feel that I am a trusted adviser to senior management, providing valuable insights and analytics around the business utilizing your financial analysis and reporting skill.

Playing a key role as part of the decision support is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

It is definitely a place for someone who thrives on challenge.
Pros
Challenging and Engaging work
Cons
Long Hours
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Friendly and inviromently good place to work.
Trade Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
-checking the system for any urgent payments due on that date.
-start processing daily payments
-follow up for released work items
-process some entries under SWIFT BESS System
-dispatching the documents after releasing.

Hardest part is the dispatching documents with in the different pick up deadlines of the different courier companies to meet the customers satisfaction.
Loved my job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC27 September 2016
I got to go to a wonderful working environment and help clients do their day to day banking, apply for mortgages and credit cards. over all the the most enjoyable part was my customers, I loved the satisfaction of finding the best solution for their inquiries and knowing I was going above and beyond anyones expectations.
Pros
great health care
Cons
short breaks and long morning meetings
Positive Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON19 September 2016
A very well organized branch, with a positive working environment. Strong knit group of employees, that rely on teamwork and communication in order to achieve the best results. Communicated with customers on daily basis, facilitating my interpersonal skills. Presented customized banking advice based on client’s preferences through product knowledge and situational intuition. Dealing with uneasy foreign customers was challenging at times, but understanding body language and providing excellent service was an important tactic to resolve communication problems. I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with customer on a daily basis, and providing them with the beneficial banking advice they were seeking.
Pros
Generous lunch hours
Cons
Lack of staff
Senoir Financial Advisor
Senior Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 December 2016
Constant changing of managers with different styles of management. Worked there 3.5 year and had 4 different managers. Promises made by one broken by another. Employees constantly coming and going. Not an enoyable long term work place
Pros
Monday-Friday work scehdule
Cons
Untrained managers, constant presure, low wages
Commitment, Respect, Intigrity
Support and Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Enjoyed working with this wonderful company, best experience with colleagues and Management for 18 yrs. Empathy & professionalism and good benefits. Due to family matters, moved from Toronto. Recommend Scotiabank to anyone.
Pros
Treated with respect. Flexibility
Cons
Long commute, less time spent with family
Productive and friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 October 2016
At Scotia bank I was a bank teller thus I learned how to perform day to day transactions, such as bill payments, updating customer information etc. Working with a great sum of money was out of the norm, as I was 16 years old at the time, and eventually became accustomed to it. I had the best group of co-workers and even better management. They were very helpful and gave me constructive criticism when needed. The hardest part of the job was working with the software on the computers and knowing when to click on what tab. There were many actions that can be performed, daily, and it did get confusing remembering the procedures for a couple transactions. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a client-employee relationship and working in a field that is related to my education.
Pros
Related to my field, great staff
share with my peer some strategies regarding a new products
financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
We are calling customer to sale credit card and book appointment for the customer to visit the branch . calling customer to explain the difference between line of credit and credit card ,and tell customer about the protection on the credit card
Pros
the offer a pizza to all agent because with exceed the target
Excellent Work/Life Balance and team work.
Business Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2016
A typical day at work involves scheduled meetings and walkthrough sessions with stakeholders. I have learnt that the key is communication both written and verbal to ensure that we keep to the project timelines and deliverables or otherwise make adjustment via project change request.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with attrition, where mid stream into a project, a project lead or member leaves the project.
I have found overcoming project challenges and deploying a working solution an enjoyable part of the job.
Great working environment with dedicated and interesting people. Management supportive with individual career development.
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2016
1) Be up to date with market news, follow financial news on the internet/television.
3) Go through the client emails and voicemails and respond back.
3) Review agenda for the day and prepare for client meetings.
4) Manage the day and plan your agenda for the next day.
5) Meet with the manager to discuss what deals have been worked on and create a pipeline for the coming weeks/months
6) Follow up with clients
7) The job teaches you to work in a team, manage your day, utilize your time efficiently and prioritize your work.
With the right leadership team a very positive place to work
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 July 2016
A typical day at work involves various administrative task associated with servicing business clients, followed by meetings with clients at the branch or at their place of work. Meeting my assigned clients represents the best time of my day and doing administrative services represents the least favorite time of the day.
Pros
Free banking
Cons
Weak client experience technological innovation
Enjoyable job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 October 2016
Enjoyable staff and customers. Learned so much about the daily interactions of day to day banking. The Bank is changing its philosophy on how to service the customer, in my opinion they are loosing the personal contact by pushing digital services
Pros
Interaction with people
Cons
Uncertain of hours .
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Great people to work with. Always knew what was expected of you.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016
I loved working with Mortgages, the challenges were rewarding. A typical day for me ....first doing the branch reports. Reviewing pending work, following up. Answering the phone, setting up appointments, deal with client , lawyer and customer rep queries.