Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), London, ONFebruary 26, 2016
Pros: job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons: pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Scotiabank
Small business (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Scotiabank had a strong sense of culture and typically a day at work started with reviewing previous days work and clients accounts to ensure their accounts where in order and not in overdraft.

After which time I would make calls to existing and non-existing clients to book sales appointments for the coming days follow up client meetings throughout the days. There was also about 2 hours of paperwork per day.

The people that worked for Scotia where mostly very friendly and reasonable with the work life balance.

Hardest part of the job is simply, like most banks, sales versus credit procedure.
Excellent Company
Senior Project Control Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 25, 2016
My experience is great, I am a huge fan of the company. The management is welcoming and supportive of growing careers. The salary is great and my growth at Scotia has been strong.
Can't think of a worse job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Life will no longer seem like it goes by too fast
Cons: Management, long hours, salary, expectations, not appreciated, everything you can think of that would make a job suck
Horrible leadership. Unrealistic expectations and targets. Long hours. Salary is so abysmal that the cleaners (who were contracted from another company) got paid more per hour than I did. After a record-breaking year in profits, management responded by drastically cutting our benefits. Everybody is stressed out all the time, it's not uncommon at all see your fellow coworkers break down into tears or take stress leaves. If anybody is thinking of working for this company, avoid it all costs. Being homeless would probably still be a better lifestyle than being a Scotiabank employee.
Great place to learn and grow
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Oakville, ONNovember 29, 2015
Scotiabank helped me polish my skills as I kept moving up the ladder . It has a great multi cultural environment . I got to work as team leader and team player at the same time and was trusted with great deal of responsibilities which further instilled confidence in me.
Management I got to work with took great interest in my career development and coached me in the right direction .
Dealing with customers helped learn a lot more about growing demands of financial needs of each individual client .
It is a great place to work .
Solid place to work with good job security
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
Solid place to work with good job security.
Attentive and helpful co-workers.
Good management.
Benefits and Salary could be better.
Fun and energetic workplace
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: great benefits, flexibiltiy in shift changes
Great place to work with excellent benefits and training. Wonderful people to work with and a lot of opportunity for advancement . Limited opportunity in the Atlantic region in some fields however which are most concentrated elsewhere.
Good place for those who want structure
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Belleville, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros- opportunity for advancement, Performance oriented, you won't get fired, templates for everything
Cons- low autonomy (high micro-management), culture inhibits any sort of creativity, High demands for relatively low pay in industry.
A very fast paced and at times high stress place to work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Great benefits and plenty of upward mobility
Cons: High stress dealing with disgruntled customers.
A typical day at work is anything but typical. Every file is different - every customer situation is different.

I started as a teller in 1989 and have since enjoyed working as a supervisor in that department. I changed focus in 2000 to work in administration providing support to as many as 11+ sales officers at a time. I have also had the opportunity to gain experience working as a supervisor in this department as well.

Without a doubt, had the bank not decided to move administration out of the branches and closing my department I would still be working for Scotiabank.
Bank Life
Prime Services Facilitator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2015
If you are looking for a relatively stable position with decent pay and good benefits, then head to the bank. Scotiabank is still trying to figure out a work/life balance but depending on the department you are in, you may leave on time at 5pm. Be prepared for many levels (4+) of management and for people who may have less experience to advance before you. Scotiabank is all about networking so be positive, outgoing and you'll do great.
Fun place to work at
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
Pros: Get paid sometimes for not even coming in
Cons: limited hours plus no commission cut
Professional work environment. Typical white collar 9 to 5.
Good pay plus benefits. Job security and growth promised
Preps you up for higher positions within the same institution
Excellent company to work for!
Personal Banking Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 21, 2015
Excellent company to work for! Lots of advancement opportunities and supportive management teams. I would rec. anyone thinking about a position here to apply.
excellent
Derivatives Risk Analyst, Limit Monitoring (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2015
-good/worklife balance

-laid back culture

-good management

-bad thing is it's boring

-awesome colleagues

-enjoyable part is the people
Productive and learning work place
Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Enjoyable work environment. Salary is under par. Management for my department is very good. Understanding and helpful employees
Fun work place with supportive management.
Manager personal Banking (Current Employee), Hazeldean, Kanata, OntarioSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: Working in a team
Cons: Still using windows XP
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
fast paced environment
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), 100 Yonge streetJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: Good core values
Cons: not having a manager for 7 months
My typical day at work was to run the day to day Operations of the Insurance Centers, Assist the Agents with managing their calendars to optimize their time management for customers. Leasing with building management and contractors for various projects that needed to be completed. Ran daily reports for head office management and kept Centre costs down by keep efficient record of invoices and expenses .
Banks don't pay good.
Personal Bank Officer (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Coworkers, Management
Cons: no pay for the amount of effort you make
Unfortunately the pay isn't that great despite the record profits they make. Recognition is great for the things you do they just don't like to compensate for it. Co workers and people were great. Typical day included talking to clients about banking products working with the systems to sell clients on products, mortgages and investments. Really heavy on the lending side.
I enjoyed working for the bank and learned a lot.
Customer Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 10, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: long hours
great people to work with.I worked for Scotiabank for 40 years and had a great time.The Bank is very flexible and caring about their employees.
Credit Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
a typical day is very productive, you learn something new everyday. Management is very helpful and are always looking for input and new ideas to better the goals of the department. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers, it is a very fun place to work
Stable jobs, but inefficient work process
Manager - Customer Knowledge and Insight (Current Employee), TotontoFebruary 9, 2016
As a successful corporation Scotiabank provides a stable environment with good pay, benefit and learning opportunities. However, work flows are inefficient. It takes a long time to initiate projects as everything involves multi-layer management and often projects are done redundantly in multiple teams.
Headquarters