Scotiabank Employee Reviews

If you like sales, that's the only positions that will be left soon
Document Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
Scotiabank is going online which means that there are limited opportunities for any support or customer service positions. They are rapidly changing, closing branches and limiting positions. Pretty much the only positions left are in Sales.
Pros
Friendly staff, co-operative with needs, accommodating
Cons
high pressure, stressful, overtime must be approved by manager, managers always want more from you no matter what, no security anymore
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Scotiabank is an ever changing corporate environment.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Provided superior customer service experience by quickly and professionally handling customer inquiries. Managed staff and daily operations including the implementation of new corporate strategies and operational processes. Continuous growth of employees by coaching/training new and existing staff.

The most enjoyable part of being a Service Manager is building relationships with clients and staff. Providing the best service possible makes for an excellent customer experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Robberies
Great workplace but not full time
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB16 February 2017
I love the job itself, but wages could be better. They have pretty decent bonuses and you get rewarded for a job well done. Only the finacial advisors get full time. Not much stability, as jobs are always getting cut and new jobs being created to take place of different jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers alot. Choose you own benefits, whic is nice. Employee share program available as well which is nice, along with the perks of staff rates. Good room for advancement.
Pros
staff rates, Employee Share Program, good hours, room for advancement
Cons
low pay, not very stable, very high goal expectations
Emphasis on Superficial
Financial Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  NS2 February 2017
My recent experience is limited to the Branch network.This is, and justifiably so, a company in business for profit so sales are very important.
A fabulous place to work for those who can and want to "sell" credit cards, mutual funds and a plethora of other products..if you are truly customer service oriented and wish to provide advice in the vein of making your clients better off...this is probably not a great fit!
Pros
Employee Share Program, good benefit package
Cons
Long hours, conflicting messages with respect to expectations, poor training program
one of the best jobs i've had to date
Relief Teller (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON27 February 2017
When working for Scotiabank, I usually work 4-8 hours, which is ideal for me. i've learned excellent customer service skills, as we have a large number of people that come into the bank with a complaint. I would say the amount of clients that come in during the day is the most stressful. it feels like the line never ends! the management and my co-workers are what make my job so enjoyable - and the AMAZING customers that Scotiabank has.
fun place to work, have branch panic and year end parties etc
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working with Scotiabank was a job that I enjoyed very much, the compensation and benefits package was great and employees are all compensate for their hard work and contribution to the job and the team. I work for Scotiabank for 19 yrs before I took early retirement in 2015, and if is wasn't for moving to USA, Scotiabank would still be my employer today, the staff are great and everyone work as a team to get the job done in a timely manner and done right.
Pros
compensate well
Cons
cannot thing of one at the moment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Contact Center, Halifax, NS19 January 2017
Amazing place to work. So much empowerment, support and encouragement.

Great place to meet new people from different cultures.

Toughest part of the job was dealing with irate, self- entitled clients who believe rules don't apply to them. For what ever reason. You are trained how to deal with this personality type, however, sometimes the nastiness received is overwhelming and mind boggling.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Late night shifts
Great team to work with
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
As I worked in a small branch the environment was great, we were like a family looking out for each other and helping each other. The largest benefit to this small branch was the close connection with our customers as well. It was a shame when we closed as that family was separated. Truly I learned many new things and met wonderful people which enriched my knowledge and work ethics.

Great team and place to work
Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
Great Workplace
Customer Support Officer/Investigation Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
Scotiabank has been a great experience, I have learned a lot about Money Transfer and payments. Management has been great for me throughout my years as well as my coworkers. Great people and beautiful environment to work in. Everybody is so nice.

The hardest part of the job is the work volume which can be stressful at times. But the most enjoyable part is that you get to meet new people and make new friends.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Low pay
Customers SHOULD come first
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab2 January 2017
Worked there for 10 years as customer service rep (teller) new manager came in and informed me my role was NOT customer service anymore but to make her money, she does not care about customers she is just focused on making money. Too many complaints from customers and hard to deal with. Otherwise loved the job, loved the people, lots of changes coming, maybe not all for the best.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Managment
Well run business focused on risk and cost management
Technology Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
A good place to work along side a culturally diverse and inclusive employee population. Management staff focused on success and enabling staff to achieve. Many bright people can be found wiling to mentor and to assist upon request.
Pros
Well run business focused on client service, risk and cost management
Cons
Many have been packaged out due to staff cuts.
Flexible working time frames
Financial advosor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2017
Had a great 35 plus years
Highly recommend
Time management is the key and keeping up with technology is an asset
I was in a position to work flex time which helped balance my family life
Great training
Build very many long lasting loyal relationships

Great team work and great partners to draw upon depending on each clients needs
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Salary under what competition offers
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
Steady employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Typical work day varies depending on who you are and who's your boss (some people get preferential treatment). Some people get in at 8.30 and by 9 they are out for half-hour coffee break, while some people never get to take breaks because they are so extremely busy.
I worked there for a long time and I have made some good and rewarding friendships.
Pros
Fast pace environment
Cons
Cliquey.
Strong communication and team effort workplace environment.
Client Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Working with The Bank of Nova Scotia for years and taught me that teamwork and understanding and both working with staff for coverage is priority. The workplace is shown great effort in reducing and minimizing risks by following direct regulatory and compliance rules.
Pros
Several campaigns and events
Cons
Unpaid overtime
Good Intern Experience
Business Process SME (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2016
Small Projects:
o Ticketing inventory system project: to consolidate past records for comparison and reconciliation using Microsoft Excel.
o Lost and found inventory management project: to reconcile the actual found to actual returns; created monthly employee-wise reports, comparison chart for lost and found against report of actual returns.
o Station Terminal Operations Communication project: at Pearson Airport during their Christmas peak hours, learning the procedures and functioning of the system they used as well as managing last minute critical situations.
o Hands on experience with Customer Service Manager on ramp
Pros
Comfortable Work environment
Cons
Internship only
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication