Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
Fast paced, friendly, and upbeat workplace.
Concession Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2017
Working at the Saddledome is rewarding. You meet a variety of people each event. A typical shift is preparing your stand(if you choose a concession position) with food and drinks. Making sure your stand is prepared and clean. When doors open, you are to greet guests when they approach you and take their order and fulfill their needs. The workers are friendly and helpful, it's always a good time. Management is also friendly and helpful, always there to lend an ear and hear you out about anything and they always try to make work better for you. The Saddledome is very diverse with culture. It can get tough some days when things don't work out or customers' get mad but I feel it all goes away by the end of the night. The people that work there are very nice and understanding, they help make you feel better. All in all, it is a good place to work in and very flexible to your schedule.
Pros
Get to work fun events and meet new exciting people.
Cons
Not much work after hockey season.
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Great Place to Start.
Revolving Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 February 2017
Scotiabank has an amazing team and overall management is great. The compensation however is lower in comparison to other banks and there aren't as many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
great people, great culture
Cons
low compensation
Great workplace but not full time
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB16 February 2017
I love the job itself, but wages could be better. They have pretty decent bonuses and you get rewarded for a job well done. Only the finacial advisors get full time. Not much stability, as jobs are always getting cut and new jobs being created to take place of different jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers alot. Choose you own benefits, whic is nice. Employee share program available as well which is nice, along with the perks of staff rates. Good room for advancement.
Pros
staff rates, Employee Share Program, good hours, room for advancement
Cons
low pay, not very stable, very high goal expectations
mortgage
Bilingual Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2017
scotiabank is a great company with an excellent culture i work with them since 2011, i am lucky to learn and be surrounded by people who help me to grow.
as Funder i am in charge of my own day no micro management i am allowed to come when i when and to organize by date based on my duties. in fact i am in charge of mortgage funding in province of BC , ON , AB. i work in collaboration with brokers, lawyers and underwriter . i manage mortgage financing and / or refinancing , make sure that scotiabank interests are protected.
the management is amazing as i said no micro management you organize your work the way you want.

the hardest part of the job is the organization + prioritizing there is always something that pop up at the last minute, escalations dels, funds transfer issue , coverage etc...
being fast and proactive is the key.
the most enjoyable part is my team i have such a great team , i work with people i trust and who can trust me,we work as a team . i like this part of my work + the work environment is appropriate for self development
Nice place to work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Scotiabank is a nice place to work at. Head Office is very innovative. Work can be overwhelming sometimes. Lots of overtime that management is not necessarily willing to pay you. Very flexible. You have the opportunity to hone on your strengths to achieve your goals/targets. Office politics is the same as any other big 5 banks.
Pros
Very flexible.
Cons
Strong franchise with great opportunity to add value in your role
Director - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
The best part of the job is that I feel that I am a trusted adviser to senior management, providing valuable insights and analytics around the business utilizing your financial analysis and reporting skill.

Playing a key role as part of the decision support is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

It is definitely a place for someone who thrives on challenge.
Pros
Challenging and Engaging work
Cons
Long Hours
Flexible working time frames
Financial advosor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2017
Had a great 35 plus years
Highly recommend
Time management is the key and keeping up with technology is an asset
I was in a position to work flex time which helped balance my family life
Great training
Build very many long lasting loyal relationships

Great team work and great partners to draw upon depending on each clients needs
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Salary under what competition offers
Horrible
Small Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wynyard, SK12 January 2017
Scotiabank is the worst business to work for. Their placement of Mangers and how these Managers are coached and treated is ridiculous. Not once was our Manager work/life balanced. Terrible pay, terrible structure, terrible benefits. They are not inline with their structure or values sat all. They will never be Canada's number one bank.
Good Workplace, Limited opportunities for advancement
Operations Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
Scotia iTRADE has solid management and good work/life balance. Unfortunately its salaries are very stagnant and there are limited opportunities for advancement internally.
great people, industry and focus on latinoamerica. Low salaries and not a great middle management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
Great industry and a company going through a lot of changes and without a clear direction. People are great and good pension and some of the benefits such as buying shares.
Pros
Industry, focus on lationamerica, some benefits
Cons
Low salaries, middle management, lack of focus
Great workplace
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 February 2017
Very equal opportunity employer. They care about their employees. Great learning experience. Great management. Fantastic benefits. Many opportunities to advance within the company
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Toxic Culture, Zero Value for Employees
Director (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 September 2016
Completely unfamiliar with work-life balance concept... Treating people as they are dispensable.
By far the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
Big Company, Ok salary
Cons
Culture, Management
Good group dynamic
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2017
I work in the indirect loans department and I payout car loans, write letters to clients and also update any client information on their profiles.
My supervisors are very understanding about my school schedule and offer flexible hours so it is a great balance.
During my time at Scotiabank, there has been changes in the structure and also there have been new technologies in place. I had to learn about a new check scanning machine and also had to learn about the system in order to credit or debit client's accounts.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am not doing the same task everyday, there is always something new and different to learn which keeps work exciting.
The hardest part of the job would be that sometimes we are so overwhelmed with work, but there is not enough time to finish - this has taught me about time management and prioritizing.
Pros
Flexible hours
Good Organization to learn
Operations Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Fast pasted, highly interactive, great learning opportunities for those who are willing to work hard. Opportunities for advancement and training are available for those that keep informed.
Pros
Big organization
Cons
environment dependent on your V.P.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.