Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication
An excellent company!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL/Baie Verte, NL10 September 2016
I had a wonderful time with Scotiabank. I was treated with respect and was given plenty of opportunities to earn respect from my customers and peers. I provided daily services to customers regarding the sales of credit products, assisting with finances and offering budget solutions. My managers treated me like a welcome part of the team and my co-workers offered help and support through every step of my adventure with Scotiabank. The hardest part of the job was the demand for relocation. I was hoping for a position that would help me get settled but it turned out that I was expected to move to many communities before I could be offered that stability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction I could provide to my customers by assisting them with my own set of cultivated skills.
Pros
Full Time, Salary, Benefits, Excellent Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of job/location stability
Flexible working time frames
Financial advosor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2017
Had a great 35 plus years
Highly recommend
Time management is the key and keeping up with technology is an asset
I was in a position to work flex time which helped balance my family life
Great training
Build very many long lasting loyal relationships

Great team work and great partners to draw upon depending on each clients needs
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Salary under what competition offers
Horrible
Small Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wynyard, SK12 January 2017
Scotiabank is the worst business to work for. Their placement of Mangers and how these Managers are coached and treated is ridiculous. Not once was our Manager work/life balanced. Terrible pay, terrible structure, terrible benefits. They are not inline with their structure or values sat all. They will never be Canada's number one bank.
great people, industry and focus on latinoamerica. Low salaries and not a great middle management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
Great industry and a company going through a lot of changes and without a clear direction. People are great and good pension and some of the benefits such as buying shares.
Pros
Industry, focus on lationamerica, some benefits
Cons
Low salaries, middle management, lack of focus
Commitment, Respect, Intigrity
Support and Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Enjoyed working with this wonderful company, best experience with colleagues and Management for 18 yrs. Empathy & professionalism and good benefits. Due to family matters, moved from Toronto. Recommend Scotiabank to anyone.
Pros
Treated with respect. Flexibility
Cons
Long commute, less time spent with family
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Fun workplace!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Managers are very friendly and approachable and when there's rude guests or some issues and concerns they're just one call away. Also you can change your availability anytime they wouldn't mind, very flexible. Perfect part time job for students.
Pros
flexible hours, free movies and discounts
Cons
not competitive salary
Fast paced and ever changing work environment!
Customer sales and service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2016
There are exciting changes almost everyday and you are always challenged to stay on your 'A' game. Great benefits but the salary is not at par with industry standards.
Pros
Ever-changing workplace
Cons
Salary
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Toxic Culture, Zero Value for Employees
Director (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 September 2016
Completely unfamiliar with work-life balance concept... Treating people as they are dispensable.
By far the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
Big Company, Ok salary
Cons
Culture, Management
Professional and respectful, with a touch of bubbly.
Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
A typical day at the Scotiabank Saddledome is one that is filled with a lot of energy and passion. Its such a wonderful place to work and definitely has its benefits. It is so much customer interaction and hearing others stories. It is honestly a never dull moment! Our upper management is always so pleasant to work with, always helpful when you're stuck with a difficult situation. The Hardest part here is honestly just when it gets busy, not so much hard tho. More like chaotic. Some of the most enjoyable parts of working here is that, you get to see concerts that you normally don't, discounts on hitmen and roughnecks tickets, some of the staff events and you basically make your own shift!
Pros
Staff BBQs, discounts, ticket draws, Smiles program
Cons
part time
HORRIBLE, unpayed, under appreciated, lay offs
Dealer Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2016
Salary is below market, your expected to do far more than you're paid for, pressure, stress, and little to no reward. immature bad management, all about favoritism, not quality of work, if you have an opinion they will run you out. mass lay-offs, only concerned with bottom line.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great job!
Customer service/support rep (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2017
Every day was different as each customer had a unique request, loved to help them out and set them on their financial pathway. Staff were always dedicated to their customers
Pros
Great benefits
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Good environment..not a bad work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Everyday is a different challenge as we have to deal with different types of customer.

Co-workers are very helpful. Salary is very average for all the hardwork that we do.
Low Salary
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  2900 Steeles Ave E15 December 2016
Financial Advisors are getting underpaid for the amount of work they do. Numerous hours talking to customers and cross selling the pay is not adequate to the job.
Pros
Advancment
Cons
Low Salary