Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte County, NB17 March 2017
Excellent workplace to have a job. Immigrant friendly and support career advancement. I especially like their community volunteering. But, emerging of technology in banking system eliminates some job positions and has been replaced by machines.
Pros
Recognition and appreciation days for both customers and employees.
Cons
More part time/ contractual than full-time offered job.
If you can, go to RBC or TD...
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 March 2017
Pay is decent, however training program was insufficient. Systems are OLD, the departments you are meant to call when you need assistance almost never give you the right answer, or don't answer and tell you to leave a vm or send an email.

Management sucks, do not care about people. My branch had SEVERAL (about 4 or 5) employees who were sick with various terminal illnesses such as lung disease, breast cancer and some other illnesses that required them to take a leave of 2months +, management didnt even send a get well card.....
Pros
decent pay + annual bonus
Cons
stressful job, no support, employess are undervalued
Challenging environment
Small business &Professional Banking (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 March 2017
I love working with the public this job allows me to do this . I am a mobile smaller business advisor and love going out to meet clients and really get to knowing their businesses and what they need to succeed. There always competitions which I strive to win rewarding and recognizing individuals and teams for their achievements is very important it creates a happy productive work environment
Pros
Tickets to games, lunches, theatre etc
Cons
Management is not flexible
one of the best jobs i've had to date
Relief Teller (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON27 February 2017
When working for Scotiabank, I usually work 4-8 hours, which is ideal for me. i've learned excellent customer service skills, as we have a large number of people that come into the bank with a complaint. I would say the amount of clients that come in during the day is the most stressful. it feels like the line never ends! the management and my co-workers are what make my job so enjoyable - and the AMAZING customers that Scotiabank has.
Great workplace but not full time
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB16 February 2017
I love the job itself, but wages could be better. They have pretty decent bonuses and you get rewarded for a job well done. Only the finacial advisors get full time. Not much stability, as jobs are always getting cut and new jobs being created to take place of different jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers alot. Choose you own benefits, whic is nice. Employee share program available as well which is nice, along with the perks of staff rates. Good room for advancement.
Pros
staff rates, Employee Share Program, good hours, room for advancement
Cons
low pay, not very stable, very high goal expectations
If you like sales, that's the only positions that will be left soon
Document Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
Scotiabank is going online which means that there are limited opportunities for any support or customer service positions. They are rapidly changing, closing branches and limiting positions. Pretty much the only positions left are in Sales.
Pros
Friendly staff, co-operative with needs, accommodating
Cons
high pressure, stressful, overtime must be approved by manager, managers always want more from you no matter what, no security anymore
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Serious, relaxed and balanced place to learn
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
Underwrite credits, spreading financials, lots of research on different industries and companies to determine if they are safe to finance loans to. The people are all very supportive and willing to explain their thought processes and approaches to younger staff members.
Pros
Job security, learn a lot about financing, supportive leadership.
Cons
Slow promotion, boring work environment and quite coworkers.
Emphasis on Superficial
Financial Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  NS2 February 2017
My recent experience is limited to the Branch network.This is, and justifiably so, a company in business for profit so sales are very important.
A fabulous place to work for those who can and want to "sell" credit cards, mutual funds and a plethora of other products..if you are truly customer service oriented and wish to provide advice in the vein of making your clients better off...this is probably not a great fit!
Pros
Employee Share Program, good benefit package
Cons
Long hours, conflicting messages with respect to expectations, poor training program
Scotiabank is an ever changing corporate environment.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
Provided superior customer service experience by quickly and professionally handling customer inquiries. Managed staff and daily operations including the implementation of new corporate strategies and operational processes. Continuous growth of employees by coaching/training new and existing staff.

The most enjoyable part of being a Service Manager is building relationships with clients and staff. Providing the best service possible makes for an excellent customer experience.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Robberies
My evaluations
Supervisor / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 March 2017
I very much enjoyed working for the company as I was there for a very long time. I really enjoyed the customer aspect of it.I was able to achieve understanding my customers as well I very well established relation ship with them all. I am great full for that. I learned a lot from working at Scotia Bank. Very great full.
Pros
I enjoyed working for the company
Cons
I wish I could of stayed longer
Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
fun place to work, have branch panic and year end parties etc
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working with Scotiabank was a job that I enjoyed very much, the compensation and benefits package was great and employees are all compensate for their hard work and contribution to the job and the team. I work for Scotiabank for 19 yrs before I took early retirement in 2015, and if is wasn't for moving to USA, Scotiabank would still be my employer today, the staff are great and everyone work as a team to get the job done in a timely manner and done right.
Pros
compensate well
Cons
cannot thing of one at the moment
good bank
Balancing Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario2 March 2017
This depends on what branch and city you are located in. If you are anywhere in the GTA your life will consist of travel to get to work, work a full day and more, then wait in traffic on the way home. Upper management is very $$ focused. Most branch managers are completely out of touch with their staff which is unfortunate. The teller team itself usually bands together which makes for work to be more enjoyable.
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Contact Center, Halifax, NS19 January 2017
Amazing place to work. So much empowerment, support and encouragement.

Great place to meet new people from different cultures.

Toughest part of the job was dealing with irate, self- entitled clients who believe rules don't apply to them. For what ever reason. You are trained how to deal with this personality type, however, sometimes the nastiness received is overwhelming and mind boggling.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Late night shifts
Great team to work with
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
As I worked in a small branch the environment was great, we were like a family looking out for each other and helping each other. The largest benefit to this small branch was the close connection with our customers as well. It was a shame when we closed as that family was separated. Truly I learned many new things and met wonderful people which enriched my knowledge and work ethics.

Great team and place to work
Well run business focused on risk and cost management
Technology Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
A good place to work along side a culturally diverse and inclusive employee population. Management staff focused on success and enabling staff to achieve. Many bright people can be found wiling to mentor and to assist upon request.
Pros
Well run business focused on client service, risk and cost management
Cons
Many have been packaged out due to staff cuts.
Great Workplace
Customer Support Officer/Investigation Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
Scotiabank has been a great experience, I have learned a lot about Money Transfer and payments. Management has been great for me throughout my years as well as my coworkers. Great people and beautiful environment to work in. Everybody is so nice.

The hardest part of the job is the work volume which can be stressful at times. But the most enjoyable part is that you get to meet new people and make new friends.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Low pay
Customers SHOULD come first
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab2 January 2017
Worked there for 10 years as customer service rep (teller) new manager came in and informed me my role was NOT customer service anymore but to make her money, she does not care about customers she is just focused on making money. Too many complaints from customers and hard to deal with. Otherwise loved the job, loved the people, lots of changes coming, maybe not all for the best.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Managment
Strong communication and team effort workplace environment.
Client Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Working with The Bank of Nova Scotia for years and taught me that teamwork and understanding and both working with staff for coverage is priority. The workplace is shown great effort in reducing and minimizing risks by following direct regulatory and compliance rules.
Pros
Several campaigns and events
Cons
Unpaid overtime

81%