Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
An excellent company!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL/Baie Verte, NL10 September 2016
I had a wonderful time with Scotiabank. I was treated with respect and was given plenty of opportunities to earn respect from my customers and peers. I provided daily services to customers regarding the sales of credit products, assisting with finances and offering budget solutions. My managers treated me like a welcome part of the team and my co-workers offered help and support through every step of my adventure with Scotiabank. The hardest part of the job was the demand for relocation. I was hoping for a position that would help me get settled but it turned out that I was expected to move to many communities before I could be offered that stability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction I could provide to my customers by assisting them with my own set of cultivated skills.
Pros
Full Time, Salary, Benefits, Excellent Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of job/location stability
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Commitment, Respect, Intigrity
Support and Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Enjoyed working with this wonderful company, best experience with colleagues and Management for 18 yrs. Empathy & professionalism and good benefits. Due to family matters, moved from Toronto. Recommend Scotiabank to anyone.
Pros
Treated with respect. Flexibility
Cons
Long commute, less time spent with family
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
Professional and respectful, with a touch of bubbly.
Station Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2016
A typical day at the Scotiabank Saddledome is one that is filled with a lot of energy and passion. Its such a wonderful place to work and definitely has its benefits. It is so much customer interaction and hearing others stories. It is honestly a never dull moment! Our upper management is always so pleasant to work with, always helpful when you're stuck with a difficult situation. The Hardest part here is honestly just when it gets busy, not so much hard tho. More like chaotic. Some of the most enjoyable parts of working here is that, you get to see concerts that you normally don't, discounts on hitmen and roughnecks tickets, some of the staff events and you basically make your own shift!
Pros
Staff BBQs, discounts, ticket draws, Smiles program
Cons
part time
Fun workplace!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Managers are very friendly and approachable and when there's rude guests or some issues and concerns they're just one call away. Also you can change your availability anytime they wouldn't mind, very flexible. Perfect part time job for students.
Pros
flexible hours, free movies and discounts
Cons
not competitive salary
Toxic Culture, Zero Value for Employees
Director (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 September 2016
Completely unfamiliar with work-life balance concept... Treating people as they are dispensable.
By far the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
Big Company, Ok salary
Cons
Culture, Management
HORRIBLE, unpayed, under appreciated, lay offs
Dealer Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2016
Salary is below market, your expected to do far more than you're paid for, pressure, stress, and little to no reward. immature bad management, all about favoritism, not quality of work, if you have an opinion they will run you out. mass lay-offs, only concerned with bottom line.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fast paced and ever changing work environment!
Customer sales and service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2016
There are exciting changes almost everyday and you are always challenged to stay on your 'A' game. Great benefits but the salary is not at par with industry standards.
Pros
Ever-changing workplace
Cons
Salary
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Good environment..not a bad work place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Everyday is a different challenge as we have to deal with different types of customer.

Co-workers are very helpful. Salary is very average for all the hardwork that we do.
n/a
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 July 2016
It's a good place to work. Little room to advance in certain positions. Benefits are decent, vacation is standard. Management accommodating, good work/personal life balance.
Place to grow and enhance the skills.
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
Place for growth
Enhance knowledge in accounting
Getting three week of vacation and health benefits with match to RRSP contributions
Credit analyst position helped me to learn about analysing the financial statements.
Oparations, analyses
Fund Accountant / Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
Great work culture, meet lots of new people, socializing. Well structured organization with lots of opportunities for promotion. Although, the salary range in not high enough on the low/medium levels, hard to get the well paid position even with CPA.
Great Place to work
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
Great benefits, treats employees fairly, great co workers. Would be nice to have more flexibility with schedules. Fair time off and comparable to other financial industries.
Every day is different. Some can be poisonous and negative, others can be productive and enjoyable.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 February 2016
Management often nitpick little things in order to hound you and stay on top of you so they can call it a "coaching session" thus making them seem like great managers, when in reality they create an environment of paranoia and often back stabbing.

Almost all levels of the job have positions that are so finely defined by corporate headquarters that it almost feels like a life version of filling in the blanks. No creative thought or independence, just following orders and strict guidelines. Increasingly all decisions are computerized where we just fill in the information and wait to see what the system spits out for us to tell the customers.
Pros
job advancement is good, though some managers love to nitpick and find reasons for them to claim you're not yet ready, benefits are good.
Cons
pay could be much better considering the b.s we deal with, quarterly/annual goals keep getting more ridiculous and often are changed mid year, so at one point you might be at 68% of your goal and now all of a sudden looking at less than 50%, even with the year over half over.
great oppourtunity
First year baking apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge Ontario15 May 2016
great thing to volunteer your time to, fun and easy going a great cause to help raise money for. you should consider it. if you work hard the day goes by quick