Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Great Workplace
Customer Support Officer/Investigation Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
Scotiabank has been a great experience, I have learned a lot about Money Transfer and payments. Management has been great for me throughout my years as well as my coworkers. Great people and beautiful environment to work in. Everybody is so nice.

The hardest part of the job is the work volume which can be stressful at times. But the most enjoyable part is that you get to meet new people and make new friends.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Low pay
fun place to work, have branch panic and year end parties etc
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working with Scotiabank was a job that I enjoyed very much, the compensation and benefits package was great and employees are all compensate for their hard work and contribution to the job and the team. I work for Scotiabank for 19 yrs before I took early retirement in 2015, and if is wasn't for moving to USA, Scotiabank would still be my employer today, the staff are great and everyone work as a team to get the job done in a timely manner and done right.
Pros
compensate well
Cons
cannot thing of one at the moment
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Contact Center, Halifax, NS19 January 2017
Amazing place to work. So much empowerment, support and encouragement.

Great place to meet new people from different cultures.

Toughest part of the job was dealing with irate, self- entitled clients who believe rules don't apply to them. For what ever reason. You are trained how to deal with this personality type, however, sometimes the nastiness received is overwhelming and mind boggling.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Late night shifts
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
Great team to work with
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
As I worked in a small branch the environment was great, we were like a family looking out for each other and helping each other. The largest benefit to this small branch was the close connection with our customers as well. It was a shame when we closed as that family was separated. Truly I learned many new things and met wonderful people which enriched my knowledge and work ethics.

Great team and place to work
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
Good Intern Experience
Business Process SME (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 November 2016
Small Projects:
o Ticketing inventory system project: to consolidate past records for comparison and reconciliation using Microsoft Excel.
o Lost and found inventory management project: to reconcile the actual found to actual returns; created monthly employee-wise reports, comparison chart for lost and found against report of actual returns.
o Station Terminal Operations Communication project: at Pearson Airport during their Christmas peak hours, learning the procedures and functioning of the system they used as well as managing last minute critical situations.
o Hands on experience with Customer Service Manager on ramp
Pros
Comfortable Work environment
Cons
Internship only
Customers SHOULD come first
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab2 January 2017
Worked there for 10 years as customer service rep (teller) new manager came in and informed me my role was NOT customer service anymore but to make her money, she does not care about customers she is just focused on making money. Too many complaints from customers and hard to deal with. Otherwise loved the job, loved the people, lots of changes coming, maybe not all for the best.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Managment
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication
productive
Home Financing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 November 2016
Comprehensive knowledge of mortgage sales, underwriting process, application and insurance products.
· Offered a " full package ” approach by analyzing clients financial whole picture, often a fundamental credit counsel to support mortgagors with fixing credit related problems for clients.
· Developed an extensive database of contacts dealing with realtors, commercial/ residential developers, investors and other industry related orientated professionals in order to attract
Strong franchise with great opportunity to add value in your role
Director - Financial Planning & Analysis (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
The best part of the job is that I feel that I am a trusted adviser to senior management, providing valuable insights and analytics around the business utilizing your financial analysis and reporting skill.

Playing a key role as part of the decision support is challenging and rewarding at the same time.

It is definitely a place for someone who thrives on challenge.
Pros
Challenging and Engaging work
Cons
Long Hours
Flexible working time frames
Financial advosor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2017
Had a great 35 plus years
Highly recommend
Time management is the key and keeping up with technology is an asset
I was in a position to work flex time which helped balance my family life
Great training
Build very many long lasting loyal relationships

Great team work and great partners to draw upon depending on each clients needs
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Salary under what competition offers
Steady employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Typical work day varies depending on who you are and who's your boss (some people get preferential treatment). Some people get in at 8.30 and by 9 they are out for half-hour coffee break, while some people never get to take breaks because they are so extremely busy.
I worked there for a long time and I have made some good and rewarding friendships.
Pros
Fast pace environment
Cons
Cliquey.
Friendly and inviromently good place to work.
Trade Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
-checking the system for any urgent payments due on that date.
-start processing daily payments
-follow up for released work items
-process some entries under SWIFT BESS System
-dispatching the documents after releasing.

Hardest part is the dispatching documents with in the different pick up deadlines of the different courier companies to meet the customers satisfaction.
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Nice place to work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Scotiabank is a nice place to work at. Head Office is very innovative. Work can be overwhelming sometimes. Lots of overtime that management is not necessarily willing to pay you. Very flexible. You have the opportunity to hone on your strengths to achieve your goals/targets. Office politics is the same as any other big 5 banks.
Pros
Very flexible.
able to work from home
Mortgage Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
i enjoyed working there because i was able to help my clients with there finances. the pay structure was good as it was base plus commission. the only drawback was that if my clients did not receive an approval the file would be dead because there was no other avenues to send the file to.
Pros
lack of lenders
Cons
pay was base plus commission
predictable, conservative, non-advancement
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2017
This is a company that is very conservative and very structure oriented. Original thinking is not encouraged. If you are looking for an employer circa 1950's then this is the company for you. Unless you are employed in Toronto there is very little advancement beyond branch manager.
Pros
predictable
Cons
no advancement
great people, industry and focus on latinoamerica. Low salaries and not a great middle management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
Great industry and a company going through a lot of changes and without a clear direction. People are great and good pension and some of the benefits such as buying shares.
Pros
Industry, focus on lationamerica, some benefits
Cons
Low salaries, middle management, lack of focus
Horrible
Small Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wynyard, SK12 January 2017
Scotiabank is the worst business to work for. Their placement of Mangers and how these Managers are coached and treated is ridiculous. Not once was our Manager work/life balanced. Terrible pay, terrible structure, terrible benefits. They are not inline with their structure or values sat all. They will never be Canada's number one bank.