Scotiabank Employee Review

Not the best place
Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2014
Scotiabank's best feature are the people that work there, which to me is a little disheartening. Their business practices are a little off in my eyes, such as their training. For example, I am a new employee and was thrown on to live calls with real customers, dealing with their live accounts, while in training. I was not comfortable with that at all. Coming in from being unemployed and knowing how sensitive an issue money is to alot of people, that was very surprising.

I now help support the loans and mortgages department, which I took because I needed the full time hours/salary. If I had known the training would have just been one week, three days of which, were spent reading manuals and having MAYBE one hour of computer "play time" to learn processes and procedures, I might have stayed in the entry level role a little longer to get used to the system, which is VERY outdated.

The workload is not very "employee friendly". Not that I'm at work to breeze by, but there is something to be said about making the employees happy by not treating them like dogs and just expecting them to take hours upon hours of calls, back to back to back, without room to leave a note on a customers account. Our time is counted against us by the minute, even if we take a 10 second breath between calls, which goes against our statistics, which goes against our merit increase. That's just one of the measures that we have to compete with.

I feel that if Scotiabank was to really look at how they do things, they would see that they would need to;

1. Bring in an updated system that is more
  more... user friendly and easier to navigate, would make calls go faster, which would in turn lessen the amount of call wait times for our customers.

2. Train new hires THOROUGHLY with "dummy" accounts and not throw them on the phones while they are in training just to help alleviate some of the call volume, which would help them make less mistakes and increase confidence in the customers when they speak to an agent.

3. Change their branch hours to help accommodate our changing customer base. There are too many branches that don't have hours that are conducive to the way our customers lives are, terrible hours and an inconsistency in the practices that they offer.
Some free banking/learning about money and the Shares plan
Workload is stressful, vacation time is based on the centre, not the department, system is slow/keeps crashing, unable to email statements to customers who request them

Other Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Productive environment where sincerity and hard work is appreciated
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
The management recognises talent and you are respected as a person. ,So, as long as you follow the rules, you can stay happy. The management is approachable and does forgive at least not so serious mistakes.
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
Great place to work with a challenging work environment that pushes you to deliver your best every day. The bank is poised to do well for the foreseeable future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.