Scotiabank

Scotiabank Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Customer service (Former Employee), WinnipegJune 29, 2015
Pros: great employee recognition
Cons: not enough hours
Scotiabank treats their employees very well, and is always helping out to make sure you as an employee are heading in the direction you would like to be in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 28, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Too much politics at times
Available tools for continued learning. Great co-workers, team effort and engagement. There was a mixed bag of expectations on a daily basis which would balance out the week in terms of levels of stress. However, the work typically gets completed successfully and on time so you can feel good about it.
More opportunities to work challenging projects
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
I have rejoined Scotiabank as a contractor. What I like about the Scotia is that I have had the chance to work on mutilate in a very short period. It is fast paced and professionally rewarding.
Bad Experience
Bussines Analyst / Project coordinator (Current Employee), TorontoJune 16, 2015
I would not recommend this place for working
management is not trained to manage
bad team cohesion
discrimination
lack of training
lots of gaps
Better than no job,worse than any same type alternative
Manager (Former Employee), TorontoJune 6, 2015
Pros: a job to pay some
Cons: Many
It's a poisonous workplace with cold and unsupportive management.If you just need a little money and not respect, you can choose to work here because it provides low level of pay and if you expect respect from your managers and you will be thought as one who is not easily managed and some day be kicked out.
At most a stepping-stone and leave as soon as you can.Most recently as a customer, I feel – more... most service staff are new because they have almost no decent knowledge to finish their job.I just got to know from here that the bank fired a lot or a lot chose to leave the bank due to the bank's traditions of caring employees least. Correspondingly, they have many openings for green people who expect low pay but provide long-time working hours and lowest quality services to clients. But most low level workmates are kind and they just want the pay and not active in contributing to the bank in long term.
Less money and less fun and less respect, one of worst place to work in Canada Banking industry. – less
Not good company
Facility Manager, Scarborough Data Center (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: Bad compensation
Not a good company. Very poor compensation except for executives. Work hard but only executives make good pay. Benefit is bad too.
Run and don't look back
customer service (Former Employee), torontoMay 25, 2015
Pros: having a job
Cons: poor pay, poor culture, unrealistic expectations, high burn out
illusion of one team one goal, every manager is out for themselves and their image as well as the bank image. perception is everything. The managers have no real people skills, to much attention to results and no attention to results of unrealistic expectations of its staff. High turn over and staff burn out.
Not too bad
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver BCMay 21, 2015
Not too bad, avg income....good employee system...good reward systemNot too bad, avg income....good employee system...good reward system
You lose some and you win some...
Customer Contact Officer (Former Employee), Scarborough, OnMay 18, 2015
From the get go I was enthused of being able to work with Scotiabank however as time went by I got this nagging feeling that what I will do is a repetitive task. It is okay at first if you want to use it as a stepping stone however advancement within can be a bit tedious.

1. The system used is a bit outdated. It is so old school and that you have to learn to navigate the system in 1 week and then – more... afterwards take live calls.

2. Not enough numbers of computers for use during training. Hence you need to buddy up with someone. Sometimes the trainer is lazy and he/she expects that after reading the manual you are going to be an expert in navigating the system.

3. You have to be mindful of whatever you say or do (even if it is a joke) during your probationary period. "They" may be offended by it and this will result in an immediate termination of your contract. I have personally seen people sent home during training for supposedly having conduct that is not within their parameters and they find "offensive".

4. People come and go quite frequently. You will see new faces on the floor almost every month.

5. Sooner or later you will feel like a robot with what you are doing.

6. There are certain things that the branch does which is not inline with the process of the customer contact center (vice versa)

7. Benefits can be customized depending on your needs however you would have to pay an extra premium and these are readily available to you from day 1.

8. There is an option for continuing education (which is cool).

9. Optional overtime if you need to earn extra cash. (Subject to availability)

10. Over-all an okay job if you are used to drone and repetitive tasks. – less
Productive and challenging place to work
Project Coordination Officer (Current Employee), TorontoMay 15, 2015
Pros: Interesting Work
Cons: At times stressful
A very interesting, dynamic and fast-paced place to work, with a helpful team that is always looking to grow. A lot of room for individual growth within the organization.
Scotiabank
Associate Supervision, Trading Floor Supervisor (Current Employee), TorontoMay 14, 2015
Scotiabank has been a good place to work and has provided me with assistance in continuing education courses. 7 out of 10
Great place to work, lacking in updated technology and computer systems, great people.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), CalgaryMay 13, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Impossible to get all work done within regular work hours, no overtime pay, horrible technology
Meeting with multiple customers per day, creating and maintaining lasting relationships, handling objections, meeting individual and team sales targets.
customer service rep
customer service representative (Former Employee), ontarioMay 12, 2015
Pros: good envrionment
Cons: stressful
good place to work
stressful environment
good pay
co-workers were caddy but overall good management
hardest part of job is sales
enjoyable part is the good pay and office environment
Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Windsor, ENGMay 10, 2015
• Provided customers personalized financial plans tailored to their needs and goals in their day-to-day banking, borrowing, investing, and protection
• Identified benefits to customers by reviewing their accounts and providing solutions to save them time and money
• Recommended products and services that customers would provide long term benefit
• Maintained an organized agenda to disburse my daily – more... activities so I may be able to identify and prioritize my customer meetings in person, by phone, or through email
• Focused on working as a team to achieve weekly targets and promote current bank initiatives
• Processed new product setups and prepared the documentation for customers to review
• Listened to the customer and discovered what goals they are looking to achieve and where they’d like to be within the next 3-5 years
• Reviewed action plans to reach weekly targets and identified where to make adjustments – less
Excellent
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mount Forest, ONMay 9, 2015
Pros: Customers that you know by their first name and become familiar with them.
Cons: Full time position not available.
The interaction with my customers and my co-workers is what makes going to work important. As Scotiabank continues to upgrade internal systems and improving our product (ie credit products), there is always new training and product knowledge to add to my experience as a customer service representative.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 8, 2015
Good place to work.
As a casual teller, your job depends on your supervisor a lot.
Coworkers are nice and fun place to work.
Wish I Left Sooner
Small Business Advisor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 5, 2015
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Too many to list
Scotiabank can be a very difficult company to work for. I worked in 5 different branches during my 4 years there, progressively working my way up through the sales roles. I can't believe how political the company is. Many of the people in upper management don't deserve their positions at all. There is such great disconnect between them and the retail branches. Also, Scotiabank is notorious for paying – more... much less than its competitors, and the benefits are not as competitive. For example, everyone's base pay is based off the average "market reference" for a similar job in the industry. I didn't know a single person who made the market reference or anywhere near it, and that is just the industry average. The closest I got is when I went to the extent of getting a competitor offer, and then trying to get them to match it. I only got 95% of the market reference. The last year was horrible and the drastic changes they made during the "One Customer One Bank" caused almost 100% of the sales team at my branch to quit, along with many other branches, which also negatively effects the customers. The amount of people who have gone on long-term disability and have taken early retirement due to the working conditions is scary. The pressure and stress to pay ratio the bank is putting on its employees just isn't right. However, on the bright side they are so desperate to hire new sales members that it's a great "in" to Financial Service and anybody who sticks around for a year or two can quickly move up within the branch because there are constantly openings due to people leaving.

I did work with many amazing people though during my time with the bank, and had some great managers, who I will remain friends with. – less
Team friendly environment
Head Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Long hours
Working for the Bank of Nova Scotia is an excellent experience, as the company puts a huge focus on team work and this is easily displayed at the branch level. Management does a great job in assisting customer service representatives with any internal issues or concerns. Supervisors look to provide on the job assistance and make everyday a bit easier. Most enjoyable part of the job is to provide customers with an excellent experience and seeing their financial lifestyle grow for the better.
Great company but some buts!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great customers
Cons: Not enough hours yet they keep hiring
Good job but as a casual rep, you don't get enough or zero hours. Could go a month without any hours, they tell you it is because they have limited hours to allocate, yet they keep hiring more reps. I find RBC more convenient and best for that reason. Love it!
HRA (Current Employee), TorontoApril 29, 2015
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the

1 2 3 4 5

About Scotiabank

Scotiabank is a leading financial services provider in over 55 countries and Canada's most international bank. Since welcoming – Read more