Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Not all that
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2016
Overall the experience of working at Scotiabank is okay. Not as much opportunity for growth. The working hours are good however, typical 9-5 days. This allows you to accommodate both your personal and professional lifestyle.
With the right leadership team a very positive place to work
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work involves various administrative task associated with servicing business clients, followed by meetings with clients at the branch or at their place of work. Meeting my assigned clients represents the best time of my day and doing administrative services represents the least favorite time of the day.
Pros
Free banking
Cons
Weak client experience technological innovation
Great experience and challenging work place
Manager of Customer Service/HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 25, 2016
Continuous changes to stay competitive in the industry, there are always working on how to best help the customers. The work is challenging but there is always help. It's never a dull moment between customers and staff there is always work to be done.
n/a
Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 25, 2016
It's a good place to work. Little room to advance in certain positions. Benefits are decent, vacation is standard. Management accommodating, good work/personal life balance.
Nice placeto work
QAT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 21, 2016
Nice work culture and lot of learning while working with different vendors at the same time. Co-workers are really helpfull and never say No for anything.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Russell, ONJuly 21, 2016
Ive really enjoyed my time at Scotiabank. Our client base is really good. Small town, so I have had the opportunity to build personal relationships and the clients have gained my trust. The atmosphere inside the branch amongst my co-workers is awesome. Everyone is there for each other.
Pros
Providing excellent customer service
Cons
Not enough money
Not as good of a job as people think
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 21, 2016
Scotiabank was a good place to work. It no longer values its employees. It does not care for those who have served them for most of their careers. There is no job security anymore.
Layoffs
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
They are cutting hours as well as positions therefore you are required to do more than normal job duties. You are in charge of making multiple referrals, knowledgeable about products, learning different systems and transactions. Hard work is not appreciated and just meeting expectations is not enough.
Pros
paid 15 minute break
Cons
no hours
Productive and busy
Manager of Application Support for trading floors (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2016
This position was very productive and busy, it was challenging position, but very rewarding, some travel was required for some of the larger projects.
Innovative and an active team player
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2016
Starting a day with a perfect planning to lead and direct team members to complete the desired task on time. A fun filled workcentric and employee centric organization.
An inside look into the life of a Financial Advisor at Scotiabank
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 10, 2016
* ability to advance in scotiabank is encouraged and attainable
* reasonable work hours at various locations
* scotiabank has a fantastic team/community

* A typical day involves meeting with clients to discuss credit ratings or credit availability. Processing loan requests, discussing financial planning strategies, discussing high interest paying accounts, ordering and reviewing home appraisals, filing documents or faxing them. Replying to telephone or email messages in a timely manner.
Participating in team meetings and providing input as to how we can improve day to day customer satisfaction.

* I have learned that the more independent you are in this environment the quicker you will succeed and be recognized

* I personally feel the management at Scotiabank are not trained well enough in to lead their branches to continual success, possibly temporary success but not long term.

* The hardest part of my job is meeting aggressive sales targets on a daily, monthly, quarterly report. I work at a branch that tends to be slower and doesn't have as much foot traffic which means meeting the sales targets requires constantly digging for opportunities and never taking a moment for granted.

* The best part of my job, I enjoy helping people. I have personally helped some of my clients purchase their first home,car,luxury boat, cottage etc. I have also helped clients start a savings strategy for their children to ensure their college tuition would be paid for. The satisfaction that comes from someone trusting you with their future is rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Aggressive sales targets
Cheap parking
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 10, 2016
SDA is an ok place to work but their values arent supported by practices. Weak training and bad customer service. Management needs work.
Pros
a couple
Cons
Many
This was an excellent field school
Validation Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
Gets you ready for what to expect in a CRM job
Very labour intensive, attention to detail. Physically taxing.
Great interaction with other students, will definitely make new friends and have great outdoor experiences.
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Run away if you can
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2016
Does not give you a chance to perform. Lot of internal politics.
You need to ask for work. Meaningful will not come your way unless you ask for it. If possible, stay away from the current leadership direction
Pros
Pension after 1 year
Cons
Lot!
Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Fast-Paced, Tough but fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 30, 2016
Very fast paced environment, room for growth however must dedicate all of your time to do so. Can be intense at times
fun workplace
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2016
It is a fun work environment and I've learned a lot as well as met a lot of amazing people. Definitely appreciate the experience.