Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Great training program.

Wonderful co-workers.

Easy commute.

Friendly environment.

It was a pleasant experience to be employed here.
Pros
taxi service home
Cons
low pay
good management
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
Less salary according to the work you do. Good managers, very supportive district Vice Presidents and training. sales pressure can increase at times. Too many changes going on since the new CEO took over. some good. some bad. overall a good company to work for experience.
Good place
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 July 2017
We are very happy with Scotiabank’s project management and implementation process and with the
Universa™ banking platform; it will allow us to enhance our partnership with our Korean members in many ways and
to successfully meet their growing financial needs on an ongoing basis.”
Embracing change
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON19 July 2017
With the shift to self-service banking, changes are happening in Scotiabank. They aim to accommodate current employees in their positions while opening new ones aimed at embracing new technology.
Contractor Vision
Business analyst - Technology Application Group (Current Employee) –  Toronto - Scarborough ON19 July 2017
Conditions for contractors are a little bit different than for full-time employees, so - for example - I cannot estimate benefits/salary... I was lucky to work with good people, true professionals and that made my work days exciting.
Pros
Good job/life balance
Cons
Weak job security
Good company
Cloud engineer and Puppet master (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2017
BNS will eventually lead the banking technology in Canada with its PCF and Cloud programs. With the establishment of opinionated platforms via PCF and Puppet, the company has given itself the necessary technology to develop applications faster with consistency. Of course, the rest of the bank needs to get on board with the whole agile development and opinionated platforms but given the fact that all the new hires understand and embrace agile methodology and culture, the future looks bright.
Pros
Adoption of modernized platform
Cons
Deeply rooted in IBM technologies
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 July 2017
Very positive environment. Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable. You learn new things everyday. The branch I work in possibly has the friendliest staff. Overall amazing.
good place to work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2017
good place to work, with an opportunity to network and meet new people. job teaches you a lot about customer service. great way to start of banking ca
A great place to work with a very friendly staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
A typical day can vary depending on how busy the branch is. But everyone is always helpful to the best of their abilities which makes it a great place to work. The most enjoyable and the hardest part are both the customers. They can make your day or ruin it.
Steady stream of Projects
Business Analyst / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
An enjoyable workplace environment. Worked with business staff to deliver projects large and small. Flat management structure; management was always accessible and listened to feedback, seemed always concerned with cost/benefit options. Full time staff has minimal scope and not skilled or risk taking compared with their industry counterparts. All levels of the project teams were great to work with.
Pros
Approachable and smart senior managers
Cons
Should invest more to develop internal staff
Stressful days at work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2017
Highly target oriented, management isn't very helpful, however the position helps you improve communication skills. Enjoyable part of the job is you help people achieve their financial goals, hardest part is the stress associated with financial goals.
Contract work
Bank Teller (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 July 2017
It was not easy to work as a teller in this bank, because of the constant pressure to sell their products. There was a certain quota which had to be met, and the position was only on contract.
Good challenges
Director Business Applications & Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
The major program I was brought into rescue was successfully completed. In the final stages there were others who tried claiming the victory as theirs. Even though I was able to finish a program that four other full-time employees failed at, I was not offered a full-time position and those who tried to stake claim t the success also went out of their way to try and discredit me.
Pros
Good direct senior managers
Cons
Work policies and procedures are different by department
Work Environment
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2017
working with fast paced team in a very much balanced environment. The ideas and the recommendations are well documented and honored. Really love to work in a team like this.
Good Opportunity, encouragement
Senior Functional Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2017
Not much pressure, good work opportunity, balanced work culture. Not organized, no requirements sessions and requirements are not finalized and no next steps decided or even if decided not followed up.
Loved
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2017
I loved working with everyone from scotiabank.. if I could go back I would..just not enough hours for me.. had great hours.. great employees..amazing experience!!
Overlook employees, poor management
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2017
Unrealistic sales target, does not care employee feelings, do not expect much internal support. Many managers do not know much about their jobs, except push you for numbers.
Gained nice experience at work place
QA Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2017
Gained nice experience at work place and employee friendly more. As an employee we can have free hand to innovate technologies and bring up to management systems
Great place to work but it takes along time to get a permanent position
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Oromocto, NB8 July 2017
The pay was a competitive rate which was fare, it could be higher. You have to work casual starting out for a lot of the tellers and when a full time position opens up it's still only 28 hours a week. they had a great team of managers and staff I felt very appreciated and the managers are so kind. definetly one of my favorite places I have worked however; I could not afford to stay as I was casual for 9 months with no opportunity to move up until someone retired or left.
Times are good when they are good
Business Customer Service Relations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2017
The workplace culture at Scotiabank was great. Once you put yourself into the environment and participated in all the events, the work and fun balanced out. The people are generous, kind and friendly.
The work was sometimes difficult and the customers were everything from friendly to rude. Learning to deal with all those different personality types was helpful in growing my skills when dealing with people.
Scotiabank loves to educate and keep their employees up to date. They like self growth and promote it every chance they get. The amount of material at my disposal was great! Taking advantage of those items really helped me step up my game and learning.
Pros
the people and friendships gained
Cons
ensuring work items are within company policies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.