Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Entertaining but highly demanding
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2017
Working at Scotiabank taught me many useful tips and tricks about customer service and I adopted helpful habits to maintain an organized happy environment. The best part was when management would spend energy on actually developing the staff but sadly so few of them do.
Personal ethics are of little value and you are encouraged not to trust anybody even your coworkers. Product knowledge is vital. Meeting expectations is never good enough, there's always Always room for improvement. Acknowledgement is rare and raises even more so. Expectations are consistently above and beyond and office intrigue runs rampant. Tons of responsibility and very little room for errors.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Recognition
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 February 2017
There is a very diverse culture around our branch. It is a very upbeat and fast-paced. I love that everyone is unique and brings something different to the table. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering phone calls and dealing with customers and engaging with them in conversations. I enjoy helping individuals with their day-to-day banking needs and when a challenge arises, I enjoy the opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of my job is the current lack of advancement available. I enjoy staying busy and learning new roles and information.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of job advancement opportunity / salary
Great workplace but not full time
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB16 February 2017
I love the job itself, but wages could be better. They have pretty decent bonuses and you get rewarded for a job well done. Only the finacial advisors get full time. Not much stability, as jobs are always getting cut and new jobs being created to take place of different jobs. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers alot. Choose you own benefits, whic is nice. Employee share program available as well which is nice, along with the perks of staff rates. Good room for advancement.
Pros
staff rates, Employee Share Program, good hours, room for advancement
Cons
low pay, not very stable, very high goal expectations
Good place to work with average pay but above-average benefits.
Retail Mortgage and Loans Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2016
Even with the closure of many regional offices, this remains a good employer. Salary, while average, is offset by numerous benefits such as free banking, employee shared ownership programs, comprehensive insurance (ie: dental/health) and good work/life balances. There are minimum, standard and exceeding standard goals that vary depending on the position. There are opportunities to advance a career but they are generally dependant on your willingness to relocate (unless you live in Toronto).
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Average pay
Low productivity and too much red tape - IT only
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2016
Work/Life balance is great.
Salary and benefits are what are expected from a bank.
Job security, very good, they rarely terminate anyone.
Management: no comments
Job Culture:

Everything is in silos, you won't do anything end to end. So expect your resume in the future to have lots of gaps where you have no experience in certain things.
There is a truckload of red tape, things that could take a few days could take weeks easily.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Technical experience won't improve.
fun place to work, have branch panic and year end parties etc
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Working with Scotiabank was a job that I enjoyed very much, the compensation and benefits package was great and employees are all compensate for their hard work and contribution to the job and the team. I work for Scotiabank for 19 yrs before I took early retirement in 2015, and if is wasn't for moving to USA, Scotiabank would still be my employer today, the staff are great and everyone work as a team to get the job done in a timely manner and done right.
Pros
compensate well
Cons
cannot thing of one at the moment
unreasonable
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 October 2016
Corporate culture of Scotiabank changed drastically in the last 2 years, company/management stopped caring about employees, became very unreasonable, ever increasing sales goals, no change in salary, increased pressure and stress. i understand that it all comes from the top, but all the innovations that had been introduced in a very barbaric way. Things that work in theory had been forced to be implemented in practice, but didn't work due to lack of understanding of work processes on the lower level, waste of time that might have been spent on making actual sales.
Very Productive
8 Teller (Former Employee) –  Paradise Island Bahamas25 November 2016
a typical day is very orderly, I learnt the keys toexcellent customer service with my clients and also every customer i came in contact with while I was employed at Scotiabank Bahamas. My co-workers and I were able to work together on our common goals and the effects shown when we got our PAR reviews for each quarter. The hardest part of the job was to stay "excellent" at every given point of the day as humans are subject to errors. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the people I had come in contact over the years of being employed at Scotiabank.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
miscommunication
Flexible working time frames
Financial advosor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge2 January 2017
Had a great 35 plus years
Highly recommend
Time management is the key and keeping up with technology is an asset
I was in a position to work flex time which helped balance my family life
Great training
Build very many long lasting loyal relationships

Great team work and great partners to draw upon depending on each clients needs
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Salary under what competition offers
Horrible
Small Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wynyard, SK12 January 2017
Scotiabank is the worst business to work for. Their placement of Mangers and how these Managers are coached and treated is ridiculous. Not once was our Manager work/life balanced. Terrible pay, terrible structure, terrible benefits. They are not inline with their structure or values sat all. They will never be Canada's number one bank.
Great Place to Start.
Revolving Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 February 2017
Scotiabank has an amazing team and overall management is great. The compensation however is lower in comparison to other banks and there aren't as many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
great people, great culture
Cons
low compensation
great people, industry and focus on latinoamerica. Low salaries and not a great middle management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
Great industry and a company going through a lot of changes and without a clear direction. People are great and good pension and some of the benefits such as buying shares.
Pros
Industry, focus on lationamerica, some benefits
Cons
Low salaries, middle management, lack of focus
An excellent company!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL/Baie Verte, NL10 September 2016
I had a wonderful time with Scotiabank. I was treated with respect and was given plenty of opportunities to earn respect from my customers and peers. I provided daily services to customers regarding the sales of credit products, assisting with finances and offering budget solutions. My managers treated me like a welcome part of the team and my co-workers offered help and support through every step of my adventure with Scotiabank. The hardest part of the job was the demand for relocation. I was hoping for a position that would help me get settled but it turned out that I was expected to move to many communities before I could be offered that stability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction I could provide to my customers by assisting them with my own set of cultivated skills.
Pros
Full Time, Salary, Benefits, Excellent Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of job/location stability
Great workplace
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 February 2017
Very equal opportunity employer. They care about their employees. Great learning experience. Great management. Fantastic benefits. Many opportunities to advance within the company
Commitment, Respect, Intigrity
Support and Administration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
Enjoyed working with this wonderful company, best experience with colleagues and Management for 18 yrs. Empathy & professionalism and good benefits. Due to family matters, moved from Toronto. Recommend Scotiabank to anyone.
Pros
Treated with respect. Flexibility
Cons
Long commute, less time spent with family
Very good place to work
Associate Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2017
My team at Scotiabank was amazing to work with. Everyone was very friendly and helpful as well as willing to help me grow as an employee. Also, I found there to be many benefits to working for a company such as Scotiabank such as company perks.
Fast paced and ever changing work environment!
Customer sales and service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2016
There are exciting changes almost everyday and you are always challenged to stay on your 'A' game. Great benefits but the salary is not at par with industry standards.
Pros
Ever-changing workplace
Cons
Salary
Great job!
Customer service/support rep (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2017
Every day was different as each customer had a unique request, loved to help them out and set them on their financial pathway. Staff were always dedicated to their customers
Pros
Great benefits
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Fun workplace!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Managers are very friendly and approachable and when there's rude guests or some issues and concerns they're just one call away. Also you can change your availability anytime they wouldn't mind, very flexible. Perfect part time job for students.
Pros
flexible hours, free movies and discounts
Cons
not competitive salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.

81%