Scotiabank Employee Reviews for Financial Advisor

WAS a place to work
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 January 2018
As a Financial Advisor its all about the sales. Our Today Show every morning is all about Micromanaging every last minute of your day. Support unit have been cut and consolidated, takes weeks to get a response and usually nothing useful. It was a good place to work up to 2015.
Pros
Free Banking
Cons
Micromanagement, Aggressive sales Targets, Salary is below industry average
Racism got me fired from work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Blairmore saskatoon14 January 2018
I got hired after months of interview process and since day one at the work no training nothing got provided and wnats to perform well. Women domination at work and being outsider placed me distance form anything but just making calls all the time, finally gave me a paper says you are terminated.
Worst training ever, worst people to work with management was never supportive
Good luck
A Good First Step
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 January 2018
Scotiabank as a whole is a good place to work. Like all others, it has it's drawbacks. The greatest benefit though, is the amount of knowledge you can aquire in a short period of time. From investing, to lending, to estate, to general personal banking, it acts as a great stepping stone.
Pros
Good place to learn
Cons
Mediocre pay, high stress/pressure, little incentive.
a great bank to work for
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 December 2017
- a great internal system to work with

- great banking products

- a good work and life balance

- a very successful bank in eliminating the paperwork
Good team environment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Very positive workplace culture amongst peers. Very supportive of employees in regards to rewards for performance ie. Scotia Best of the Best awards. Great Learning experience.
Pros
Good team building activities.
Cons
Inconsistent Training
Unrealistic expectations, product driven
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 December 2017
Decent salary. High paperwork, compliance and sales targets. Be aware that focus has shifted from customer planning to product driven sales in recent years. Any financial advisor working at a bank is looking for aggressive product sales, free advice is how you push your products. My experience near the end was 45min long meetings every morning were the person with the worst sales was questioned in front of their coworkers. No support from management and credit and lending manuals that were out of date compared to changing procedures.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
lending guidelines not updated to allow smooth credit workflow
Sales Targets
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 November 2017
Sales targets for Financial advisors are really aggressive and not achievable. Lots of work pressure and micro management. Work/Life balance is awful.
Too much pressure on sales
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2017
Just like any other Financial Advisor/ personal banking officer position at a bank there is too much pressure on sales. It's a good job to get in the bank, but do not be hopeful that this positon will help you transition into a corporate role.
Sucked the soul out of me
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario29 October 2017
8 years of commitment, overtime, selling the brand to family, friends and all I came across, number one ranking in sales and revenue in my district and dismissed without an explanation. Beyond that, they messed up my ROE and a manager who didn't like me sent in my termination report to the MFDA with misconduct (untrue and slander), which has prevented me from obtaining work in the field again to date.
Fun place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK23 October 2017
Workplace culture is awesome. I learned how to sell the product to the customer by looking at their earnings. I personally did not get along with the Branch Manager as i feel he was biased towards me and few others at the branch.
Pros
Weekend off
Professional
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  NB6 October 2017
Standard work hours, but not easily flexible for appointments or family responsibilities. Although they have programs in place for employees, its very hard in smaller branches to have these approved due to limited employees in branch.
Benefits
Cons
Numerous Goals, Limited Flexibility in work hours
Great Place to Work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2017
Great Place to Work, staff is very welcoming and friendly though it is a very sales driven industry. It is a very good place to work and there are many opportunities to move up
I will not write a review about this company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2017
my thoughts and feelings on the company in question are my own and everyone reacts differently to certain situations. If you like sales and high goals work in a branch
Ok work life balance
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2017
Result driven work place. Fast paced and dynamic. Work life balance is not the best. Requires long hours and perseverance to achieve goals. If you hit your goals it is easy to move up the hierarchy.
Unfair Treatment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 September 2017
I was in my position for 4 months and expected to learn everything overnight without any proper training/coaching. The ball was dropped when it came to my training and I'm the one who was let go because my goals were not being met??!!???!!
I think it was totally unfair to me and I was set up for failure, but with these big companies there is no one you can voice your frustrations too.
Long hours unrealistic expectations
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 September 2017
Scotiabank is in the middle of a culture change, with the executive strongly stating that they are focused on providing advice based solutions. Branch experience is highly dependent on management teams and can vary from terrible to excellent. The best part of the job is meeting with and helping clients, whereas the hardest part is hitting sales targets.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Difficult to manage work-life balance.
Pay
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2017
The hardest part of my job is the pay which is not as competitive as it should be based on the amount of work and requirements the position requires for. We are required to do mortgages and investments along with credit products and be financial advisors but we make bare minimum which plays a huge factor in motivation
stressful workplace with its benefits
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL30 August 2017
set daily schedule that involved:
-prep time for client meeting throughout the day, branch meeting to discuss success stories and obstacles within your work whether it be administrative or the client themselves. Throughout day I met with clients dealing multiple issues and needs. (I was qualified to set up mtgs, credit cards, line of credits, loans and even sold investments).Once meeting was over, I completed the final paper work, created notes for next contact, etc
I learned how to become organised, how to multitask, create conversation, listen and understand peoples needs, etc
Hardest part of my job was not being able to help all clients whether it was due to their financial situation or due to policy of the bank
My most enjoyable part was meeting the clients and having them smile when I was able to create a connection and satisfy their needs
Pros
benefits such as dental, medical etc
Cons
salary based, even when you brought in new money to branch, or worked extra hours
Depending on management, this can be a good place to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2017
Depending on management, this can be a good place to work. Work experience is only relevant to your supervisor. I have had an amazing branch manager and a terrible manager with a micro management attitude. Long work hours were appreciated and awarded by one branch manager, while the other did not.
Pros
company perks
Very stressful company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 August 2017
Hard working environment. Since there were not walking in traffic, management put a lot of pressure on workers to perform. Co workers were very stressed because of management.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.