Scotiabank Employee Reviews in Canada

Great working environment with dedicated and interesting people. Management supportive with individual career development.
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2016
1) Be up to date with market news, follow financial news on the internet/television.
3) Go through the client emails and voicemails and respond back.
3) Review agenda for the day and prepare for client meetings.
4) Manage the day and plan your agenda for the next day.
5) Meet with the manager to discuss what deals have been worked on and create a pipeline for the coming weeks/months
6) Follow up with clients
7) The job teaches you to work in a team, manage your day, utilize your time efficiently and prioritize your work.
Excellent Work/Life Balance and team work.
Business Analyst (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves scheduled meetings and walkthrough sessions with stakeholders. I have learnt that the key is communication both written and verbal to ensure that we keep to the project timelines and deliverables or otherwise make adjustment via project change request.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with attrition, where mid stream into a project, a project lead or member leaves the project.
I have found overcoming project challenges and deploying a working solution an enjoyable part of the job.
With the right leadership team a very positive place to work
Small Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work involves various administrative task associated with servicing business clients, followed by meetings with clients at the branch or at their place of work. Meeting my assigned clients represents the best time of my day and doing administrative services represents the least favorite time of the day.
Pros
Free banking
Cons
Weak client experience technological innovation
No! I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 6, 2016
No, I don't recommend the call center in Scarborough, I was there for 8 years, I hated it! Some (guy) manager was so ignorant, he would say something to hurt the team members indirectly in team meetings and he never promote his team members to another department. I put up with that manager for 8 years, I give him 2 thumbs down!

Also he is not the only manager that is ignorant, there is a couple of them there in that Birchmount and Eglinton location,
Pros
Cons
no movement and ignorant manger (S)
Great people, horrible benefits (pay and holidays), really have to fight to get promorated
Associate, GCM Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The people are awesome! Everyone is all about helping each other. However the pay is much lower than the other banks on the street, and so is the paid vacation policy (only 3 weeks and 1 additional week after 10 years of employment... other banks is after 2 or 5 years).

It's also very hard to get promoted even if you deserve it. Some managers are open to you switching groups in order to advance your career, however others are not so keen on it.
Pros
Great people and culture at work
Cons
Bad pay and benefits
Good environment to learn in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2016
ScotiaBank has an excellent training program. The branch manager and related support staff make a huge difference in your success.

Perks are generally good, you get prime rate on credit products, bank account(s) with no fees.

The downside is that Financial Advisors are seriously overworked and underpaid for their position. The only way to get ALL your work done is to work overtime, and that overtime is rarely paid.

Also everything is a statistic... nothing is based on the worth and your own hard work. You could be working like a fool... but if one number is off, then you fail to meet your objectives.
Nice people, low pay
Alberta - Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2016
Was a customer service representative. The people there are really nice, however the paycheque isn't very good. Was the lowest paid job I had. I quit as I was going to school, which was good timing as the branch manager told us of upcoming layoffs, branch closures, and less hours available.

And you get assigned to a committee, you don't get a choice to do it or not. I was on the fundraiser committee or whatever it was. Was responsible to organize volunteer stuff, bake sales, all stuff I had no interest in.
Pros
1 hour break, 2 15 min breaks.
Cons
Pay sucks
An Insane Asylum
Assistant Manager Occupancy Cost Control (Former Employee) –  61 Front Street Toronto ONJune 30, 2016
A department that is about nepotism, cronyism and above all career management by its management teams. Management utilize all tools at their disposal including performance evaluations, terminations with packages and hiring practices to maintain and advance the current status quo. Hence those that are into butt kissing, being subservient and unquestioning to their superiors whims and wishes are rewarded - ability and creativity by those who are not part of the above group is overlooked and downplayed. Bad decision making is common place as management effectively spin bad decisions or group wins as the right decisions. They undermine those that are not part of their inside group through any means at their disposal.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
quality unsatisfactory
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 3, 2016
Fewer and fewer full-time jobs and poor pay. Which means less benefits. Most trained and experienced staff are looking for work else where. which is leading to poor staff retention and the quality and performance of the work place has diminished with staff shortages and lower quality employees.
Pros
3 free bank accounts and you save some money on interest....
Cons
....
Very much satisfied with my employer.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2016
I love working for my employer, have so much to be proud of the team. My typical day at work is filled with meeting many people, some are well known some are new people to service. Both are very much interesting and every interaction is precious to me. I have learned how help our customers to become financially better off. My management is very professional and also caring, providing us with all the tools for growth as well. Co-workers are great team members and also my friends. Hardest part is to continuously achieve and maintain our goals. And the most enjoyable part of the job are our customers and our daily interactions.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Russell, ONJuly 21, 2016
Ive really enjoyed my time at Scotiabank. Our client base is really good. Small town, so I have had the opportunity to build personal relationships and the clients have gained my trust. The atmosphere inside the branch amongst my co-workers is awesome. Everyone is there for each other.
Pros
Providing excellent customer service
Cons
Not enough money
Best place to gain experience, Average salary, Awesome Job Culture
Customer Service/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Maintained various records as per requirements and handling books and files
Managed customer data base by completing data entry and maintaining balances at month end
Preparation of various documents relating to appointments, rescheduling, and correspondence outlining customer concerns
Layoffs
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
They are cutting hours as well as positions therefore you are required to do more than normal job duties. You are in charge of making multiple referrals, knowledgeable about products, learning different systems and transactions. Hard work is not appreciated and just meeting expectations is not enough.
Pros
paid 15 minute break
Cons
no hours
Multi-tasking
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLAugust 5, 2016
Throughout my time at the bank each day consisted of assisting clients, giving them financial guidance, and informing them of services available to fit their needs. I learned to work with a team and contribute to a positive working environment. Meeting different people was the most enjoyable part of the job.
HORRIBLE, unpayed, under appreciated, lay offs
Dealer Finance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2016
Salary is below market, your expected to do far more than you're paid for, pressure, stress, and little to no reward. immature bad management, all about favoritism, not quality of work, if you have an opinion they will run you out. mass lay-offs, only concerned with bottom line.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great experience and challenging work place
Manager of Customer Service/HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 25, 2016
Continuous changes to stay competitive in the industry, there are always working on how to best help the customers. The work is challenging but there is always help. It's never a dull moment between customers and staff there is always work to be done.
Executive Assistant at scotiabank
Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
Part of the reason I love this job so much…there’s no such thing as a typical day! One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with’ staff members on a IT appropriation request and then ‘catering’ an informal reception for college staff hosted by the VP. Everyday is different.”
A great professional culture
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
A typical day at the bank includes dealing with a lot of people with different personalities and backgrounds, and providing clients with financial services. I've been lucky to work with a great team where i've learnt a lot from my manager. My team members are great, Scotia has a great culture to work in.
Innovative and learning opportunity
Decision Support Services Analyst, Finance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Scotiabank has given me an immense opportunity to grow my career path and learning growth. The values-Passion, Accountability, Customer Focus and Integrity- have been integrated with my day to day activities which have contributed to achieve my career objectives.
Pros
Forward thinking, learning growth
Fast-forward style banking.
Business Analyst, Senior (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
There is a phased approach to releases for the projects I have worked on. As the SME I am involved in all facets of the project and therefore I am always under the gun. I have to work many evenings and weekends, it is an unsustainable pace for the whole team.

It was fun and productive for the first few years, but I am now looking for a change.
Cons
Very Tight deadlines