Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 December 2017
awesome place to work! lots to learn! I feel like I have become apart of a great team at scotiabank! I have learnt skills that I will use for the rest of my life!
Good team environment
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Very positive workplace culture amongst peers. Very supportive of employees in regards to rewards for performance ie. Scotia Best of the Best awards. Great Learning experience.
Pros
Good team building activities.
Cons
Inconsistent Training
Good place to work, flexible hours for students, high pressure job
Senior Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON10 December 2017
Its a high pressure job which gets boring sometimes as it requires to do same things constantly. However, the pay is decent and people are nice to work with. There is lots of overtime offered as well
Relief Teller (Current Employee) –  Pictou, NS7 December 2017
The management at Scotiabank have been great to me when it come to anything having to do with my two kids. I am casual and sometimes i have set hours and other times it on call. I have learned a lot in the four years that i have been there. The hardest part of my job is when the lines are long and customers get unhappy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that I work with that make the day go great and help you when you need it.
Unrealistic expectations, product driven
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 December 2017
Decent salary. High paperwork, compliance and sales targets. Be aware that focus has shifted from customer planning to product driven sales in recent years. Any financial advisor working at a bank is looking for aggressive product sales, free advice is how you push your products. My experience near the end was 45min long meetings every morning were the person with the worst sales was questioned in front of their coworkers. No support from management and credit and lending manuals that were out of date compared to changing procedures.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
lending guidelines not updated to allow smooth credit workflow
Service clientèle
Caissière Principale (Former Employee) –  Mascouche, QC7 December 2017
j'ai adoré donner le meilleur des services à la clientèle.
Et gérer les encaisse de la banque, commander l'argent nécessaire.
Apprendre les système informatique.

Le plus agréable était le contact avec la clientèle.

Ce que j'ai moins aimé c'est un peu le coté vente sous pression
carte de crédit etc.
Pros
bon avantage sociaux.
Cons
l'investissement de son temps personnel. pour aucun avantage
great place to work
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
good staff friendly environment, only downside is they ask you to sell some substandard products to clients. I had to leave because of this reason alone.
Enjoy working in this fast paced environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 November 2017
Commerical/Small Business Customer Service Representative. Very busy. Transactions include buying and selling of gold and silver, Euro,sterling pounds, etc. Management is very fair and understanding.The systems change every day and l adapt quickly to them. We have many diverse ethnicity within the company and trained them all. The hardest part of the job is being part time. I love working with people and helping them solve their concerns. I like seeing the customer leave satisfied.
Great Bank
Associate Tax Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
The department that I work in does not have work/life balance & does not recognize employees. We have to pay for our own holiday parties. I am sure other departments are different. This is a corporation with approx. 40,000 employees.
Pros
Non
Cons
no work/life balance, employee appreciation
Simply a Bank
Gestionnaire de portefeuille (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2017
Review if all my sales have been recorded from the previous day.
Look at my agenda and prepare for all my appointments.
Listen to all my messages on my voice mails & emails from the night before.
Be available, professional, listen, problem solver and be the best Financial Advisor that could be.
Dealing with customers emotional problems that they deal with, must be the hardest part of the job. (many customers deal with their own peronal issues and need to be empathetic the best I can).
Helping people is my biggest reward and seeing them walk out of my office with a huge smile in their face(s).
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
A good job while I was in school.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 November 2017
I liked working at the bank and I learned a lot about personal finances. It was a great job while I was figuring out what I really wanted to do with my life. I know I could've made it a career, but I decided to take another route.
Great Place to work
Lending Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto Business Service Centre24 November 2017
Very Busy work environment, learnt a great deal about Commercial Banking , Supporting staff, Daily Interaction with field teams for problem solving & solutions
Pros
Best places in Banking & Career advancement
Good company
Data Forecaster (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2017
A very good company to work with, opportunities to grow.

Management is very efficient and effective in achieving the goal.

Employee relationship is very good.
Employee Experience
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
A typical day at work entails overseeing regulatory operations, engaging with customers and coaching and developing talent. I have learnt that I need to lead through example. As a leader, we are faced with diverse, on going challenges. It is important that we respond to these challenges with a positive attitude and a solution based approach. It is also important that we bring energy and a goal mindset to work. It is our job to keep our teams focused and on plan. Recognition is key in the workplace. As a leader, we need to bring the team together as often as possible to ensure unity and that everyone is working together towards a common goal. These are the opportunities we have to recognize success, brainstorm around challenges and share pertinent team information. The most difficult aspect of the job has been leading through transformation change. We have to keep our teams motivated and inspired and support them in future career development. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the people. Working as a team towards sales and customer service targets or fundraising goals has been very rewarding. Furthermore, being able to develop talent and observe employees progressing within their career has been gratifying. Finally, working with customers to create customized financial plans and meet service agreements has been truly enjoyable.
Comfortable company culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
The colleagues are all come from different parts of the world with different pronunciation, while the company has a great culture to incorporate all these things. Nice people and nice environment.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
complex business with all over the world
Sales Targets
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 November 2017
Sales targets for Financial advisors are really aggressive and not achievable. Lots of work pressure and micro management. Work/Life balance is awful.
Terrible Management, little to no breaks.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB15 November 2017
Working here you will always be tired, hungry and on the brink of tears. Management doesn't care because they are worked even harder than you are. Pay is not good, not enough hours, no benefits.
Good Work Environment
Credit Support Officer - Commercial Banking (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2017
Working at Scotiabank was a enjoyable experience, provided in-depth training and the necessary tools to succeed. Likes to promote within. Best part of working at Scotiabank was definitely meeting different people that were enjoyable and professional.
Pros
Good work/Life balance
Cons
Lower Salary in comparison to industry standards
Too much pressure on sales
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2017
Just like any other Financial Advisor/ personal banking officer position at a bank there is too much pressure on sales. It's a good job to get in the bank, but do not be hopeful that this positon will help you transition into a corporate role.
A true high-performing team!
People Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada14 November 2017
I joined Scotiabank in 2016 and started working in the Digital Factory - our innovation hub tasked with transforming the customer experience. There, I had the opportunity to work with the most talented group of individuals in my international career and have made significant impact to the work, culture and team. It's been an incredibly rewarding experience.

I recently moved to another new group to the bank. Scotiabank saw this skill-set as being an important one for the bank so they invested in it's creation.I think that's pretty amazing.

If you're looking for a place that will challenge you, offer meaningful training / development opportunities and give you access to some of the best leaders in the business (technology, retail banking, operations etc.) than this is the place for you.
Pros
Training, Development, Career Advancement
Cons
Some processes need to be re-designed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.