Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good work environment
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMarch 3, 2016
Schweitzer was a very good experience for me. It gave me a introduction to engineering after college in a manageable way that didn't overwhelm me. The other employees were very personable and easy to get along with. I quickly developed a respect for my superiors in a constructive way that didn't make me fear them but rather made me want to live up to their expectations.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday, and great benefits for full time workers
Stable job with annual increase in pay
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA 99163August 28, 2016
A good place to work with lots of young people. A workday consists of following relatively easy-to-understand instructions and acting on them. The pay is good and one of the best places to work in manufacturing and in the Palouse area. The only cons for manufacturing workers is the long hours (when I left, 65 hour workweeks were becoming the norm) and the constant shifting in break schedules. One day you'd be at break at 5:45pm and others past 7pm.
Pros
free lunch every Friday, easy labor
Cons
Short breaks, lots of overtime
Poor management, middle of no where town, not open to diversity town, isolate foreigners
Engineer (Former Employee) –  PullmanAugust 24, 2016
You feel you work in military based company; everything is confidential and based to need to know, no honesty and transparency. Politics Politics Politics. Management make fun of competitors in meetings and Friday lunch. They pretend they are the best. Low salary. They fly you for interview and pay all expenses and moving but when you stuck they bit you up, One mistake is end of the world. They look for family employer rather than single.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Small village
Totally an Awesome Place to Work on !!
Engineer-I Automation (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, KarnatakaAugust 7, 2016
Got into SEL through my Previous employer in contract basis.
With respect to my Career Performance over a year,I was recruited directly by SEL which was never in my dream and I was given a lot of opportunities to explore the knowledge in Substation field.
I had wonderful days working there & my colleagues were awesome both on & off officially.
Pros
Friday Free Lunch, Office Outing
Cons
Travel
The company is wonderful
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAFebruary 3, 2016
The company is run by a group of well educated people who care about the success of all of their employees. The culture is amazing.
Failure to estimate was made up by employees, unbalanced culture and poor management
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WANovember 21, 2015
I found that the company had a set of core values that felt applied to the employees, but not the top most management, verses employees were punished for doing things in direct alignment with those values. Innocent and simple mistakes were punished through severe means like termination, often months or even years after the acts occurred.

Employees were often made to pay for poor estimating by making up schedule gaps with forced overtime. I recall many late nights where engineers worked until late to get a product out, often against their will. They were, of course, told they were free to go home, but the unspoken consequences were well known.

The company has a culture of intellectual elitism, where employees don't respect others unless they can trump them at a game of engineering analysis, hence whiteboards proliferate every desk, so employees can self-appoint themselves as teachers on the fly. Information exchange and learning is important, but at this company it pervades in a constant sense of intellectual one-upsmanship. This was confirmed when working at other emngineering companies, where the general impression of SEL is that they have great customer service, but don't really seem to value true diversity, as you don't fit the culture if you're not an uber-analytic type, and hence maybe great at engineering, but perhaps contributing to an imbalanced culture.
Pros
Employee lunch, small town atmosphere
Cons
Small town atmosphere, imbalanced culture, management that doesn't live up to its own values
Great Place To Work
Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAAugust 24, 2016
This company is a fast growing organization who invests in their employee's and challenges them to grow/improve.They truly care about their employees and encourages a healthy work/life balance.
Poor management, hidden discrimination
Engineer (Former Employee) –  PullmanAugust 8, 2016
Poor management, hidden discrimination, lack of honesty, lack of opportunity for families, too much advertisement for company
Pros
Low salary
Cons
Miniorities are suffering
Reliable work and enjoyable company
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMay 28, 2013
SEL is a great company that leads the industry in making power safer, more reliable and more economical. The typical work is challenging but simple and there is always something new and interesting to work on and learn. The management is interactive with their departments and your co-workers are friendly and honestly interested in each other. The company values are easy to understand and the culture is wonderful to be a part of. The hardest part of working with SEL is the overtime hours. However it was a fun experience and I enjoyed working for the company.
Pros
weekly company wide meetings, esop, great benefits
Cons
ot hours
Stellar company
FINAL ASSEMBLY LINE LEAD (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WADecember 12, 2014
Fantastic place to work with plenty of career growth. Day to day was always something new and challenging. I learned how to manage a group of co workers, how to help solve ethical dilemmas.
Pros
great benefits, wages, job culture
Cons
middle management can be a pain with constant micromanaging
engaging environment. challenging. and fun.
Assembler/trainer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAMay 10, 2015
I loved this company not only for its stellar product development and mission but ultimately on how well they treated their employee's. the benefits were incredible. lots of on the job training and great chances for advancement.
Pros
great pay, excelent benifits, good working environment.
Cons
not much I can think of.
A multicultural environment with a good work life balance
Automation / Integration Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perth, western australiaMarch 14, 2013
SEL has allowed me to learn about automation as well as protection relays which is the core business of the company. The best part of working at SEL is the different cultures of the employees working at SEL allowing you to learn a little bit more of how other people live and work. The management has been very understanding and promote a good work life balance in ensuring that any one employee doesn't end up doing too much site work for example.
Fun and fast-paced environment with great co-workers!
Mechanical Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WAMarch 21, 2015
SEL is an amazing company to work for. There are great opportunities for advancement in this fast growing company. The work environment is great! Everyone is very friendly and willing to teach you about the products and the company. There is a lot of opportunity for overtime.
Pros
catered lunches on fridays, great benefits packages
ok work
Associate Chemist/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 23, 2016
not your best work place. no team work or trust. you just there to do your job and go home. little support if you ever needed one. the pay ws very average.
Great company, pay is a little low but benefits are good
Executive Assistant to V.P. International Sales (Current Employee) –  Trinity, FLAugust 8, 2013
Great company culture, you are encouraged to own your work as an employee owner and improve processes. I enjoy my job everyday and have the best life / work balance I've ever had in a job. Would I give a little of that up for better pay? Perhaps, but happiness and fulfillment is priceless and the grass is not always greener...
Pros
free friday lunch every friday and get corp updates, you are an employee owner
Cons
pay starts on the low side, supposed to balance out with benefits and esop but benefits don't pay bills
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAJuly 26, 2013
While working at SEL I enjoyed my time there, it is a great place to work. Great culture and values, amazing dynamic of people. While I worked there I was able to attend classes that helped me become a better writer and truly understand writing in a business setting. I truly enjoyed the Friday Lunches that the company would put on for the employees to sit down and learn about updates in the company.
Pros
great benefits, company lunches, dynamic team of people to work with.
very good place to work
New Delhi as Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Delhi, DLJuly 29, 2015
Good place to learn
Quality products
Good co workers
Good management
Good growth
Good place to show your talent
Good place to create new ideas
Productive work place
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 9, 2013
I liked some of the people there, but it seemed as if some management were incompetent and needed reviewed because half of them didn't know what was going on for the most part. Learned a lot of stuff though being a part of the team such as reading wire diagrams, re-work if needed, inspection and assembly of a quality product.
Pros
great benefits, free lunch on fridays
Cons
could work tons of ot constantly
Worked in field office
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLJuly 16, 2015
I worked in one of the field offices. The headquarters is in Pullman, Washington. Good solid company. Working in field office is different from working at headquarters. Less access to some resources but more relaxed environment.
GREAT Company
Manufacturing Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAFebruary 12, 2015
8 or 9 hour shifts

Learned about manufacturing

GREAT Management

Good people to work with

Uncertainty about shift length was hardest part

Best part was the feeling that this is a good company

4.3