Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Employee Reviews

Great working Environment,
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA25 January 2017
Working as an intern at SEL was the opportunity of a lifetime while I was finishing college. Their hourly rates were unbeatable in the entire Pullman area. The industry and all the employees felt like family and everyone is overly friendly. I learned a lot about software engineering practices as well as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and even project management, overall excellent experience.
Pros
Competitive salary, family benefits
Cons
some project management concerns.
My experience
Engineering Intern, Protection (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX19 January 2017
My experience as an Intern at SEL was great as I was able to learn a great deal. Everyone working at SEL are very friendly, casual and willing to teach youngsters. The internship proved to be very useful as I was given a lot of responsibilities and i was able to get involved in the projects I was assigned to, completely in-spite of being just an intern. Overall, my experience at SEL was very enjoyable.
Very productive work place, high expectations for everyone working there.
Software Engineering Internship (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WA2 December 2016
This is a family-oriented employer. They are all about high quality work in a friendly, high quality atmosphere. They promote from within and allow their employees to get all the experience they want. Friday Lunches are a great bonus (free food!) and from time to time employees are rewarded with a profit sharing program.

I've gained experience in C, C++, Python, how hardware works behind the scenes... Every day is something new and the co-workers are not only an excellent source of information, but they are excited to share that information and help when they can.
Pros
Friday Lunch, Profit sharing, job security, onsite gym/daycare
Stable job with annual increase in pay
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA 9916328 August 2016
A good place to work with lots of young people. A workday consists of following relatively easy-to-understand instructions and acting on them. The pay is good and one of the best places to work in manufacturing and in the Palouse area. The only cons for manufacturing workers is the long hours (when I left, 65 hour workweeks were becoming the norm) and the constant shifting in break schedules. One day you'd be at break at 5:45pm and others past 7pm.
Pros
free lunch every Friday, easy labor
Cons
Short breaks, lots of overtime
Poor management, middle of no where town, not open to diversity town, isolate foreigners
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pullman24 August 2016
You feel you work in military based company; everything is confidential and based to need to know, no honesty and transparency. Politics Politics Politics. Management make fun of competitors in meetings and Friday lunch. They pretend they are the best. Low salary. They fly you for interview and pay all expenses and moving but when you stuck they bit you up, One mistake is end of the world. They look for family employer rather than single.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Small village
Cheep management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA20 October 2016
If you dont mind about salary, dont have family to balance your life, you are not minority to be discriminated, dont mind to live a small college town in middle of no where, dont have experience or you need work visa, it is an OK place to start for a short term. They dont lay off people but stress them out to leave!
Totally an Awesome Place to Work on !!
Engineer-I Automation (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka7 August 2016
Got into SEL through my Previous employer in contract basis.
With respect to my Career Performance over a year,I was recruited directly by SEL which was never in my dream and I was given a lot of opportunities to explore the knowledge in Substation field.
I had wonderful days working there & my colleagues were awesome both on & off officially.
Pros
Friday Free Lunch, Office Outing
Cons
Travel
Company Goals and Objectives, also the social things are great, very good environment to work
Associate IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Khobar, Saudi Arabia1 October 2016
Very good , friendship relations and social , good environment to work, learn, build your experience, good place to have an excellent experience, good benefits
A Fantastic Place to Work
Equipment Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, ID2 September 2016
SEL is definitely a fantastic place to work. They live and breath their corporate objectives and values.

Management is especially great. They do business like our mothers would want them to. Truly care about developing employees.

Overall, great place.
A workplace that is both productive and caring about your own personal career
IT Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA27 August 2016
SEL is an amazing company to work for. Great people, strong values, productive teams, career growth, positive work ethics, and a overall great company
Pros
Friday Lunch, great people
Fun and Productive work place
Training Coordinator, Child Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA 9916327 September 2016
This is an amazing employee owned company. I worked for them as a summer high school intern and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in the work place.
Great Place To Work
Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA24 August 2016
This company is a fast growing organization who invests in their employee's and challenges them to grow/improve.They truly care about their employees and encourages a healthy work/life balance.
Poor management, hidden discrimination
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pullman8 August 2016
Poor management, hidden discrimination, lack of honesty, lack of opportunity for families, too much advertisement for company
Pros
Low salary
Cons
Miniorities are suffering
Good work environment
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA3 March 2016
Schweitzer was a very good experience for me. It gave me a introduction to engineering after college in a manageable way that didn't overwhelm me. The other employees were very personable and easy to get along with. I quickly developed a respect for my superiors in a constructive way that didn't make me fear them but rather made me want to live up to their expectations.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday, and great benefits for full time workers
The company is wonderful
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WA3 February 2016
The company is run by a group of well educated people who care about the success of all of their employees. The culture is amazing.
ok work
Associate Chemist/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GA23 January 2016
not your best work place. no team work or trust. you just there to do your job and go home. little support if you ever needed one. the pay ws very average.
Fun and fast-paced environment with great co-workers!
Mechanical Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Pullman, WA21 March 2015
SEL is an amazing company to work for. There are great opportunities for advancement in this fast growing company. The work environment is great! Everyone is very friendly and willing to teach you about the products and the company. There is a lot of opportunity for overtime.
Pros
Catered lunches on Fridays, Great benefits packages
engaging environment. challenging. and fun.
Assembler/trainer (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WA10 May 2015
I loved this company not only for its stellar product development and mission but ultimately on how well they treated their employee's. the benefits were incredible. lots of on the job training and great chances for advancement.
Pros
great pay, excelent benifits, good working environment.
Cons
not much I can think of.
Fun workplace where much is learned!
Marketing Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Pullman, Washington7 May 2012
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories mission is to make electrical power safer, more reliable, and more economical. They create safe electrical products such as relays and smart grid application solutions for utility and power generation companies. My position is to aid other departments with research regarding potential product line or market extensions, competitor pricing and product information, and customer service analysis.
Pros
complimentary friday lunch and presentations
Cons
quiet and serious work environment
A multicultural environment with a good work life balance
Automation / Integration Application Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perth, western australia14 March 2013
SEL has allowed me to learn about automation as well as protection relays which is the core business of the company. The best part of working at SEL is the different cultures of the employees working at SEL allowing you to learn a little bit more of how other people live and work. The management has been very understanding and promote a good work life balance in ensuring that any one employee doesn't end up doing too much site work for example.