Schnitzer Steel

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

steady work
Supervisor/Heavy Duty Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 22, 2016
-receiving trucks and loading trucks with materials
-processing and sorting materials
-organizing and starting the crew for work day
-love what I do so long hours don't bother me
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
to many cheifs
need managers who know the industry !
former employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 2, 2016
company has great potential, too many bean counters and no knowledgeable experienced managers, just over educated no experience managers.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
terrible managers
challengeing and tons of experiance with lots of equiptment
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  BCMarch 23, 2015
it was a good place to work but no balance between work and home was allways on call day and night but also a good company to work for good people and management
Pros
lots of hours lots of overtime free to modify equipment as needed
Cons
on call 24 hours
Rewarding environment very flexible job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 20, 2014
Operate Heavy Equipment
General Labor
Very fast paced work environment
Very flexible hours
Family oriented team
great place to work and to bad they closed shop
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  ChilliwackFebruary 18, 2014
good place to work....long hours and high miles. Everybody there was good to work with..Winters can get alittle hard. Sometimes the Roads can be bad but other then that I injoyed driving
Pros
well looked after trucks and equipment
productive,no fun job
Labour (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 10, 2014
This company is not a good place to work and for this im in search of other work.
Pros
there are non
Cons
under staffed
Pretty good experience at Schnitzer Steel.
SAI Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 27, 2013
My main task was to ensure business processes were in place to use SAI as the ERP system. That meant learning the business and system we were migrating to, but had no documentation or any foreknowledge of what the new system was like. It was a culture shift for the employees as Schnitzer (large corporation) had just moved into Canada(a bunch of small companies). My main task was to prepare the employees and make sure the business did not shut down when the system went live. The people from head office were great. The project went fairly smoothly.

Then Schnitzer expanded further into Canada, and I had to be able to travel with less than a day's notice to meet the new employees and train and have them up and running even if the ERP system was not in place. I found myself travelling, sometimes 3 weeks of the month with only 1 or 2 day's notice of where I should be. Most times, I felt I did not have enough time to properly train most people.

Schnitzer is a good company to work for. They strive to have great ethics and they treated me very well. However, the business is mapped very closely to the commodities market and when the US economy is poor, so is the business. I saw the stock price drop 40% in a 1 month period and when that happens, the company needs to do drastic things like layoffs with little notice. They seemed to have to do that often.
Pros
the work is interesting and the people i worked with were great, both clients and suppliers were great to deal with also.
Cons
nature of the business leaves little room for work life balance. also job security.