Schnitzer Steel Industries Inc. Employee Reviews

It is an unhealthy work environment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WA25 January 2018
I joined Schnitzer Steel for the benefits for my family. I quickly found that my co-workers were unwelcoming. I will only say that my job was in transportation in Tacoma, WA. Essentially, my co-workers (or equals) had talked badly about me so much, and threw me under the bus, that the management fired me for something I DID NOT do.
The saddest part about the whole thing is that I trusted and confided in, a certain person of, the management. This was after quickly catching on to the culture of the work environment..
I was never late, never missed a day, and had. Zero prior warnings or offenses. Not to mention it was union lol.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Micromanaging co-workers. Weak willed management
Management is awful
Rolling mill utility (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR16 January 2018
The higher ups are ok but direct management is awful.
CO workers are great and fun to work with.
It’s a big family.
Safety is pretty big there and cameras are everywhere.
Pros
Good money long breaks
Cons
Managers harassing you daily. Bullies instead of team leaders
Accounts Payable Manager
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR2 January 2018
She seemed like a nice lady just wish that her communication skills were better, because she could have let me know that the last day was going to be my last day, it would have save everyone alot of problems.
Office manager was the best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GA18 December 2017
Agian office Manager was awesome as for others I will leave that alone They don't care about you or your family or if you have kids any of that just as long as you are there at 730 am
Cons
To many people being a boss they do not care about you or your family
Hard work cheap pay
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RI8 December 2017
Pick n pull is a fun place to work and everyone on the production team are great guys and all get along
Management sucks and constantly lie to the employees and don’t pay never give raises and barely receive bonuses for over working
Management just lines they’re pockets while everyone else works hard
It was ok
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Concord, NH14 November 2017
Lots of gossip,drama, management if they like you you can move up in the company ,they tend to get rid of employees who are older and have been with the company a long time.decent benefits and over time. Management tells you what you want to hear then dissmiss's you .
Pros
Overtime
Pick n pull Modesto
Vehicle Purchase Agent (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA8 November 2017
Worst place to work at literally high school all over again the co workers will gossip about you for anything and if you don't stay on their positive side means kiss there butt they will speak about you over escalating to even getting your fired. The sales girls don't do nothing but be on there phone and rude to customers I had so many complains. Worst part is the manager takes there side because they all been working there for years so clearly he would reside with them on anything. It's a decent job but just the drama is nothing to bare it is literally full of negativity all I can say is remain to yourself and don't talk to anybody.
Pros
Free lunch on sale dates . Paid time off . Overtime
Cons
Drama, rude customers
Horrible place to work
Whipping boy (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR16 October 2017
Management was very hypocritical. Little to no advancement opportunities. The union is a joke. The only thing you can count on from the 701 is your union dues being taken out every month. Other than that good luck with em.
Pros
Cons
You name it they did it.
pathetic place to work
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GA22 July 2017
Not a place i would recommend. Worked there for almost a year and was promised one thing after another and none of it happened. Yard managers were disrespectful to employees and other mgrs talked behind your back.
Pros
Cons
everything
Very nice place to work
South West Regional Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA19 July 2017
Very exciting job compensation and benefits above average. Safety is first and sets the pace for a strong workplace culture. When ship is in and the loading starts it's none stop until ship in loaded and on it's way overseas
good employees
operator (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HI24 May 2017
this is a great place to work if you like to work with your hands. I learned how to operate different types of machinery. Most of the guys are hard workers but I can't say the same for the management team. Too many false promises from management. Management here are untouchables. They can't be trusted.
Pros
stable
Cons
no breaks, power trips from supervisors, disrespectful foreman and managers.
Environment that offers growth
Regional Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Everett, MA9 May 2017
Very progressive environment and one where leaders are invested in talent and would go above and beyond to provide the tools and resources to succeed. I miss Schnitzer.
Pros
Cons
Industry security
Fast paced and extremely stressful work environment with terrible management except for my direct boss
Groundsman/Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RI4 May 2017
Schnitzer Steel Inc. is a fast paced, stressful, and extremely hands on and dirty place to work. Not for the faint of heart or weak of mind. Hours are long and the work is tiring, yet rewarding at the end of the day. You always go home feeling like you accomplished something and did a deed for your city. Pay is poor for the intense labor that is involved, however, the job is simple and straight forward at least. Overall, it is a fair place to work and stay busy for the day.
Pros
Stay busy, good friends, laid back supervisor
Cons
Poor pay, terrible project manager, exhausting work
Very Structured Company
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA30 April 2017
Working for Schnitzer was like being with family. Management was fair, very supportive.The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating milestones and birthdays.
Pros
Great vacation times
Cons
working long hours
I loved the job because I love working outside and the people that I worked with were great.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR24 March 2017
If you like working outside this is for you. If you can't handle heat in summer and freezing weather in winter we'll good luck, but they do provide things that will help with the weather conditions.
Pros
Great people to work with
Fun, interactive workplace
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Bend, OR11 March 2017
Learned a vast amount of knowledge about the recycling and repurposing industry. Obtained many new skills with the guidance of more experienced supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Fellow veterans and like minded individuals for co-workers and management.
Cons
Slow progression as far as promotion goes.
great group of people working in management team
Logistics Management (Former Employee) –  Everett, MA20 January 2017
They have a good core group of personnel who manage the daily activities of the company. It was a good place to work. There is always room to grow within the company.
Schnitzer Steel Industries
Help Desk/Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR7 January 2017
I worked at SSI for just under 5 years. This is an excellent company to work for. They treat their employees with respect and show dedication for advancement.
My manager and co-workers were excellent and a real pleasure to with and a pleasure to be a part of the team.
I believe that my friendly disposition is a major asset in what I believe and practice.