Schlumberger

Schlumberger Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent job but poor human conditions
After Effects Animator (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: kind coworkers, free breakfasts, varied tasks, healthcare, benefits
Cons: long hours, little face to face interaction, isolation, poor communication
A typical day starts with sending an update detailing what my responsibilities will be for the day, then into 3ds Max or After Effects (depending on which point in the overall process I'm currently involved in) and rendering, sending images to my supervisor for review. Typically, all communication is done via email and/or by the interoffice communicator – more... (Lync), leaving extremely sparse face-to-face interaction.

I've learned how to prioritize, working on many projects at once, and how to figure out what is necessary when it's not exactly stated. I've also learned how to deal peaceably when there's very little constructive vision, needing to infer from past projects and other standards what is desired.

Most of my coworkers are very kind and genuine people. Sometimes things get spread or amplified concerning my performance without direct conversation with myself but that's never affected performance or interpersonal/professional relationships.

The hardest part of the job is probably the long hours without interaction with other people, despite having conversations or review with them via email or Lync. It affords no means of understanding the intended inflection of the person reviewing. "Sure" may be honest passive approbation or dismissive acquiescence. "That's good for now" may mean it's actually a good product or that it's merely acceptable for the moment, until we've more time to correct any glaring mistakes which may not be germane to the project's need at the moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other departments, seeing how they operate, what they need, and breaking up the erstwhile monotony of a settled working environment. – less
Overall it was a good experience and I learned a lot.
Mechanic Tech 1 (Current Employee), Brookville, PAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: $
Cons: no time at home.
A typical day at work involves getting up early and being on time everyday. The hours are at least 12 a day and you work with a lot of great people. The hardest part of the job is your work/life balance and the most enjoyable part is seeing the finished product.
Rewarding place to work for.
Coil Tubing Operator (Current Employee), Alice, TXFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good benefits package
A great company to work with good health benefits, good pay.
Very good place to work.
Electronics Assembler/Technician (Former Employee), Sugarland, TXFebruary 16, 2014
Its a very enjoyable place to work. The place is very well kept, the people are friendly and the work culture is wonderful. You find people from all over the world.
Good exposure to working in teams and hardships in a field job
Directional Driller, Field Engineer (Former Employee), Abu DhabiFebruary 14, 2014
I was working as a field engineer and later switched to directional drilling. I can say that I learnt a lot through hands-on field job. Work like balance was not very smooth, but that depends on the contract you have ( IM vs IC).
Great company
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Worland, WYFebruary 14, 2014
Great company great job, hard work. It's very difficult to get an internship at Schlumberger but with the right connections it's possible.
Fun culture. Work hard, play hard.
Wireline Field Engineer (Current Employee), Laredo, TXFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: job/work life balance
Sleep at hotel 3 hours from home. Wake up at 315am. Leave at 415 for location. Arrive at 530. Give safety meeting. Perform plug and perf pumpdowns until 6pm. Drive 1 hour to dinner and hotel. Sleep. Repeat.

Co-workers are a fun, diverse group of people that is always changing.

Sometimes stressful, once you have some experience it's more enjoyable.
Schlumberger has really good people and benefits..
District Accountant (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAFebruary 11, 2014
The company is really competetive in it's industry sector. A part of me really regrets leaving to go to another company.
Are you kidding me?!
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: free hot chocolate in the break room.
Cons: two-faced on safety issues.
Two-faced company. Train you in safety galore; when you get out in the field, its just the opposite.
My 10 years at Schlumberger (PathFinder)
Directional Driller Senior (Former Employee), Commerce City, ColoradoFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: pay / benefits
Cons: travel / weather conditions / driving rules
Away from home 85% of the time, family/life/work balance is hard for most people.
I spent 10 years with SLB and learned that teamwork, performance, integrity, and learning are very important. I started as MWD-T and was a Senior DD when I resigned.
Management is typical of any big company, although I did meet some very good managers.
Hardest part of – more... the job would best be described as working in hot and extreme cold weather and being away from home.
Most enjoyable moments were sharing experiences with co-workers and collegues. – less
Great place to start an offshore career
Completions Field Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee), Houma, LAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: trainning
Cons: 24 hour on call basis
I worked in the completions group for two years in Houma La. I worked with some of the best people, very helpful and full of knowledge.
good company for learning
mechanical design engineer (Former Employee), puneFebruary 3, 2014
lot to learn
very confined market specialization
multicultural environment
good work life balance
Great Company
Country Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee), North AfricaFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: one year at slb is equivalent to two years anywhere else
Cons: work life balance
Schlumberger is a fabulous organization. Lots of responsibility from a young age. Only downside is work life balance and the power that your manager has over your career. Otherwise it is a great place to work.
Great Training
Short Service Supervisor (Former Employee), LouisianaFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: big
Cons: stipulations
Awsome equipment, Great Training. Need to let more people in the programs that have the smarts of infield experience and not the 2 year degree.
good
Wire-Line Operator (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYFebruary 2, 2014
good job besides they will lay off if they think economy is going bad
Very demanding
MWD/LWD Field Specialist (Current Employee), HoustonJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: travel pay, per diem, quick raise
Cons: practically no home time, no schedule, on call, long shifts
This is a great job for someone single. I think that for me it wasnt worth the money, family is more important to me....which you don't see your family at all in this company!! I tried it and found it wasnt for me. But if u dont mind spending your life on a rig THE MONEY IS TRULY GREAT!!!! Salary sucks, so when you are off u you feel the effects of – more... it because its a drastic change in pay from not being on a rig. – less
great chance of moving forward
Shared service technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: great benfits
Ok working environment. Made sure that all testing on different down hole drilling tool where complete and ready to start different testing . My time off was always great for me.
Very Productive, fast pace, ejoyable industry to be in
HSE Specialist Level 1 (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: lots of traveling
Cons: n/a
Learned too successfully lead a team, management was well organized each department worked together as one. Typical work day consisted of audits, accident investigations, field visits, improving safety procedures and policies. The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring everyone performed their job safely and went home.
Fair enough
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Canary WharfJanuary 28, 2014
My manager was such a good guy - he was so sangine when I had my mid life crisis (I was a mere 30yo).
Good Company to get training
Equipment Operator Trainee (EOT) (Current Employee), Strasburg, OHJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: great training opportunities
Cons: too long to make money
This job entails numerous hours to get ahead. If you are young and ambitious this is the company for you.

About Schlumberger

Schlumberger┬áhas the know-how to get oil and gas drillers out of a┬áslump. One of the world's largest oilfield services companies, – Read more