Schlumberger Employee Reviews

Great salary and benefits and good work/life balance. Large company that treats you like a number and is prone to swings in the price of oil
Drilling Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 March 2015
Position within schlumberger was not typical one, where usually work life balance is extremely bad and family life is near impossible. Had great work life balance. Superb benefits and great benefits. Was however laid off due to low oil price and right after had my first baby, which they do not care about due to their size
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Work life balance, job security and satisfactions
Geoscientist presently working in Schlumberger.
Petrophysicist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta14 March 2015
A typical day at work is usually busy with a lot to do most especially when there are deadlines to meet.

Great to work with a set of like-minded and technically competent co-workers.

Quite a lot of unqualified folks in middle management.

Upper management mostly oblivious to the concerns of the average worker.

Hardest part of the job is having to work with Managers who have little appreciation for effort/time put in on the job.
Pros
Great training programs
Cons
Long hours and very little work-life balance
Great company to work for when the industry is strong
Geoscience Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta18 August 2015
Schlumberger is a great company to work for that offers a lot of career training and advancement opportunities in all parts of the world.
Pros
Great benifits for employees and their families.
Cons
Heavy workload that cuts into your free time.
Good workplace with different multinationals
Maintenance Supervisor in Charge of Akpo (Former Employee) –  Harcourt, ON19 June 2015
A good workplace where emphasis on training and retraining of personnel. A workplace with different multinationals in achieving a desire goal. It's one the best in Oilfield services world wide, that provide quality services to clients.
Cons
Long hours while on the field
Excellent company once seniority hits; great benefits
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta7 January 2015
Once the field engineer puts their time in the advancements come and the increase in seniority and pay come along with it. Be open to every role and be ready to switch cities. Your worth with the company is dictated by your willingness to accept positions and work with the companies standards, internal career advancements, training, etc. Excellent training opportunities and the ability to work and travel the world if willing.
A 24-hour lifestyle job
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2015
Schlumberger oilfield services is a multi-national oil servicing company. They have a diversified network of staff from virtually all parts of the world. Working with Schlumberger obviously afforded me the opportunity to travel wide and interact with people of different backgrounds and cultures. I learnt to understand the nuances of different ethnicities and respect their boundaries and ethics while successfully working with them as a team. The compensations from the job was very encouraging however, the job is very demanding depending on ones role. This is why it may be usually referred to as a 24-hour lifestyle- meaning one could be called upon anytime as an employee to render service for the company.
Pros
Diversification enhances learning
Cons
A very demanding job
Very rewarding place to work if you work hard and work a lot.
Lead Technician/ Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL12 December 2014
Good company to work for as long as you pull your weight and are not afraid to work long hours and spend time away from home and family. Very rewarding if you do a good job and want to advance.
The hardest part of the job is the demand from the oil companies, as SLB is a service company we are at the bec and call of the oil companies. There is general a lot of short notice changes or ad hawk projects because of this.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition and working with great co workers.
overall a good place to work
CNC Lathe Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB22 October 2014
I enjoyed my time here. My trainer was patient and kind, I enjoyed the work. They even built me a change room as I was the only female working in the shop! The life/work balance was really good. The benefits of working for such a large company was great.

The work itself could be physically demanding but I enjoyed that immensely.
Pros
free lunches at the safety meeting, good pay, nice environment, nice coworkers, safe, clean
Cons
loud, noisy, physically demanding
Great but challenging
Well Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Hassi Messaoud14 July 2014
When you work for SLB, you have to dedicate yourself to this company, forget about everything you have and just devote yourself for your job otherwise you will be unsuccessful.
I learnt how to be persuasive, hard worker, and keep on trying until either you succeed or you broke down.
Management is in between, they just look at the bottom line.
Co-workers are among the worst I have seen, they never share.
The hardest part of the job is to adapt to the system.
The most enjoyable part of it, is when you quite.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
long rotations
good people, very unorgonized
Instrument Technician Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 December 2013
You would walk into the building and you would see everyone have a smile on their face and a cheery attitude. My co-workers were very understanding and taught me effectively and explained what was happening with the object we were constructing or testing. Management was going through a change, so everything was left unorgonized and a big mess. This also was the hardest part of the job, because there was no set Manager or supervisor. But the people were easy to talk to, so if there was a problem it could get dealt with effectivly.
Pros
Everyone was very friendly
Cons
Unorgonized, made it hard to do work
All in all the daily tasks and schedules were good
Driver / Operator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 September 2013
The personnel in the shop, was friendly, helpful, and informative. Safety meetings were well planned with great visual material. The different divisions seemed to be well organized, within their own realm.
Pros
I found the schooling and training was worth being involved in, lots of assistance, well informed instructors and well structured.
Cons
The return from training had major flaws, not very structured upon returning back to the shop, difficult to get required driving mileage, not very organized
Terrible unless you are an engineer
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB6 June 2013
Worked there for 2 years as a Wire line Operator. No chance of advancement unless you were an Engineer. Engineers that would screw up or injure themselves would be promoted while there was no room for advancement for operators.

Always worked with rookie Engineers that would have no clue in their job but were too "smart" to listen to anyone that was not an Engineer.

Had to fight to receive bonuses that were earned on jobs.
Pros
Good pay in busy winter months (3 months per year)
Cons
No respect given to anyone other than Engineers
Schlumberger
Coil Tubing Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB29 October 2012
Great group of people both in the field and office, very hard working culture. Schlumberger has the reputation world wide as one of the leading well servicing providers, and in Grande Prairie our division of coil tubing was held to the same title. We frequently would work long term contracts for high profile companies such as Imperial, Encana, Nexen, etc. This working environment was very demanding and helped shape me into the person I am today.
Pros
advanvced experience
Cons
working away from home
Busy work environment . Great food at camp and good pay
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 November 2013
On call 24/7 get read pre trip the truck dive to fill up then to the job site. Back the truck up get set up . 4 Runs assemble tools first run nap, second run the winch , 3 run nap 4 run the winch. Each time take apart the tools into a new tool string . Clean all the tool every time they come out of the hole. Load the truck back up . drive back to camp sleep till next job.
Pros
Expenses for food and travel. Good camp food and ok salaries.
Cons
Long hours . Sleep managment, cold weather, 3 weeks on one week off
Field Engineer
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 January 2013
On call 24/7, 2 weeks on, 1 week off.
Great place to develop technical skills, people skills, communication, interpersonal skills and leadership.
Coworkers are awesome, very supportive and helpful.
The hardest part of the job is to maintain a good work-life balance and to cope with lack of sleeping hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job is everyday always comes with a new challenge.
Pros
challenging job. great place to develop skills in all areas.
Cons
long hours, affecting health. work-life imbalance.
The best and most coprehesive job training and safety training I have ever had.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 December 2012
The Work Crews are good bunch of people.
Loved the work.
The best and most coprehesive job training and safety training I have ever had.
Company makes sure you have all the propper PPE for the jobs.

The field work was coming very slow- almost 8 month with no field work- so I was making less the min. wage. no field work means no job bonus which is how you get paid.
Pros
the best and most coprehesive job training and safety training i have ever had.
Cons
the field work was coming very slow- almost 8 month with no field work.
its a great place to work if u have a nice partner
operator helper (Current Employee) –  edmonton ab14 August 2012
Getting up & hitting the road for a wonderful day you just never know whats in store for you when we get there.
there are just so many things that I had to learn like putting the tools in a sequence & there are six different sequences. & H2s gases,first aid, ect... Well they switch management every year so I cant say much about that but they are fair & great to work with.
I would have to say the hardest part of the job is driving 8-12 hours to a job & then working for 12-24 with little rest its just to much but it had to be done.
knowing that I have done everything I can for a safe day & have done my part 110%
Pros
free food
Cons
To work with great People is great fun
Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydiminster13 September 2012
Schlumberger was my dream company. I learnt many new technology. I would say schlumberger utilized my eduction, my skill and in returned gave me great satisfaction, good money and great respect off-course. I learn Tubing conveyed perforation, log interpretation, cement evaluation and many many other completion procedures.My thirst for learning more and more pushed me to quite Schlumberger.
Pros
new technologies, prestige, and money
Cons
staying away from home for days
Rig Site experience
Field Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Kuwait25 May 2013
Life at Schlumberger is all about how you can adjust yourself with different locations required for different jobs. My internship experience was less of a rig site experience but came to know of the overall functioning of an oil and gas services company. The technology provided to the employees is hi-tech and innovation and to work not only requires intellect but also rigorous hard work in office and on site.
Good for fresh out
Senior Directional Driller & OSE Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2015
Worked over 8 years with slb. enjoyed the training system as well as hard working time in the field. I gained both operations experience and valuable skills, that provides me solid foundation to competently work in both oil field and office.